Rangers Confirm Michael Beale As Manager

I'm really quite positive about this.

We've appointed a manager with minimum fuss, minus the usual mad, wild rumours (bar the odd one from the desperate Scottish sports arse rags) and got him in with plenty of time to get the squad in shape before the next game.

I don't regard it as lazy - I regard it as appointing a young, hungry, innovative coach who's highly regarded by people who have probably forgot more about football than most of us will ever learn.

I'm not making predictions or demands, but I have zero negatives about Beale, although that positivity isn't extended to finance and Wilson. But with Beale and his appointment, I'm happy.
I’ve been struggling to work out what I feel overall but this pretty much nails it - there is an unknown about Beale as he’s not been a first team manager for long but he definitely has all the attributes, reputation etc to be a very good manager and therefore it’s more of a nervousness about acknowledging the unknown but overall I’m pleased with the appointment. Worry a lot about how he will get backed by the board/investors!

I wish I could get excited
See if someone told you we had just gotten a new manager you’ve never heard of but he had just knocked Wolves back…..would you be excited then?

I honestly think it’s strange that people don’t want to give the guy a chance, he has the same chance of being successful as he does as being unsuccessful, let him prove you wrong.

A new chapter in our glorious history ,must be a spine tingling moment being asked and accepting the Rangers job.

Best wishes Michael ,knock those players into shape and make history.

People saying lazy and easy appointment don’t forget we are paying compensation for the manager and backroom team, there are loads of managers out of work we could get in for free.

Correct, it’s based on that he is an up and coming coach who wants to take the step himself, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t but he knows what he is getting into and had turned down a pathway that would have seen either go from Wolves - Spurs - Man Utd to Rangers instead so aye fair play on the gamble.

On the other hand as Tim Sherwood said when he turned down wolves, it only takes 5 games to be down that list of managers in demand but the circles in England believe he is a top coach who could be a top manager.

Who knows and what will be will be, probably a bit kicked in that Beale was available in the summer and the Board/Ross Wilson had made their mind up then that he would be chased after at some point and we went for it early.
Wolves spurs man u???

Eh:))

I obviously wish him all the best. Long term, who knows, but in the short term I believe he can turn the season round.

II think we can all agree that this group of players could be playing so much better than they have been this season.

Michael Beale clearly gets us, bought into and fell in love with our great club and support, he wants to be here, has never hidden that, so I ask, if as we all hope he is, a total success, winning everything, he will inevitably attract clubs from the bigger leagues, no way he jumps ship short term but who do we think would/could temp him away from us like Villa did with Gerrard?

Just idle curiosity on my part and so many assumptions being made but I honestly think it would take a top club from a top 5 league but even then would have to be at the right time for him, not while he still felt he had more to do and achieve with us.

It seems almost unthinkable that he won't be able to get a better tune out of these players than what they've produced this season thus far, away game to PSV aside.

Like everyone else, I have my fingers crossed he can make an immediate impact. I do have a reservation that a lot of these players who have downed tools are players he already has a relationship but he just needs to be pragmatic and, in due course, ruthless. I'm looking for tangible progress between now and the summer. If players are back at it, we can hopefully get some cash in and get a better quality and better mentality of player in.

Best wishes to our new manager

I must be honest , I don’t quite get the hero worship for the guy, but I have to trust the board examined all possible candidates and he was the best. With a deal until 2026 it seems like a long term project, so I hope he gets patience from the fans (some chance!)

Nevertheless, I hope you have a long and successful career at Ibrox Michael

I’ve no predictions how this is going to go, but he’s got a major task on his hands.
Inheriting a squad with a horrendous injury list, and low morale within the players available.
Wish him the best of luck and really hope this works.

It's an interesting appointment, a bit of a gamble but they all are

However, we shouldn't lose sight of the real issues at the club. Beale is no miracle worker. There are fundamental structural issues at the club that made Gio's job 10x harder

Awful recruitment, lack of will to invest CL funds post qualification, ageing and seemingly unmotivated squad, lack of sellable assets, poor injury records (don't believe its just bad luck, there's an obvious pattern there) and of course Ross Wilson still at the helm who has no discernible track record in any of the objective he's meant to be achieving

Lets hope this appointment isn't just kicking the can down the road by the board.

Let's be honest the realistic options out there were not really inspired choices. Check the poll in the new manager thread and a lot of the names would have been a complete punt (as is any new manager) Not getting the 'lazy appointment' comments that's a bit of a lazy comment if truth be told.

A sensible appointment is probably more accurate. No frills obviously as Mick Beale is very early in his management career but by all accounts is respected by the players and is widely praised for his training sessions and his tactical approach. He knows most of the squad, the club, staff etc so we have no issues with him settling in and the transition for the players is a lot more smooth.

His biggest challenge right off the bat is the injury list and specifically the defence as that is not going to improve right away no matter any amount of training, drills, tactics or anything else he can do in the next couple of weeks. We have a young lad in Leon King who is nowhere near ready as a regular starter and a more seasoned defender in Davies who is maybe got about 60-70 minutes in him at the moment. Failing that as back up we have James Sands who is still fairly inexperienced and a natural CM. We have Tav on the right and no fit LB until Croatia get papped out the WC and Borna comes back so let's hope Croatia don't go too far if they get out the groups as who knows when Yilmaz will be back from injury. Goldson was rumoured for a January return but we would all hope it's earlier.

What MB will need to do is get our midfield and attack firing to negate the inevitable defensive issues we will face over the next few weeks, which will in turn help take the pressure off our patched up defence. It's a tough ask as our first 5 games back are Hibs (H), Ross County (A) Aberdeen (H) Motherwell (A) and finishing with the Scum at Home. Three of the most difficult Home games and two tricky away grounds to go to so by no means an easy start to life as a Rangers manager.

Win all 5 and would be an excellent start heading into the January window.
I am sure we can all agree MB is going to need our full backing and a bit of patience at times. As this is a huge moment in our season.

Last edited:
Welcome sir.

Hope it turns out a roaring success.

Look at this comment from RW on the article though:

“Finally, this is a coveted managerial position and after an intense week of discussions, I wish to extend our sincere thanks to all of the excellent managers who we met to discuss the role.”

The part in bold is clearly a lie, isn’t it? :)) Lucky if they spoke to 2.

They spoke to one. Beale.

I hope elements of the fan base are not just waiting for this guy to fail. Some of the comments…sheesh.

If he’s backed properly I believe he will have success at Rangers.

I obviously wish him all the best. Long term, who knows, but in the short term I believe he can turn the season round.

II think we can all agree that this group of players could be playing so much better than they have been this season.
Agree and to write that off as solely being played to the wrong tactics isn’t giving its full facts.
These players have likely lost us the league title this season because they contrived to get a manager the sack. Certain players think Rangers owe them a platform to play the way they want, regardless of how the manager wants them to play. Not a single player in that team is worthy of putting themselves in such high regard, no player is big enough in our team to drop tools to allow their preferred way of playing. If they can’t play to how the manager wants then they need replaced, replacing the manager to suit them is the wrong choice.

Just reading Beale's record at QPR and he doesn't even have a 50% win record. In fact it's pretty average if truth be told.

Now if today's appointment isn't lazy it is hardly inspiring is it?

Maybe you'll want to mute anyone using the words pretty average and hardly inspiring too.
We could appoint peak Ancelotti, and you'd complain that he raises one eyebrow more than the other.

Beale has my full support.

Appointment and in particular the timing of it should not distract us from the failings at board level above the manager.

They should still be dragged over the coals at the AGM and Wilson is not fit for purpose.

We are either getting a young, eager, Premiership bound manager at the right time, or we are getting someone not ready.

Based on noting but positivity, I believe it will be the former.

Good luck to Michael Beale, but for the love of God, get Ryan Kent off the touchline!

Made all the right noises, said the right things. You could see the players and staff were pleased to see him. Let’s hope that transfers onto the park. I honestly don’t get the clamour for MB right now, but he gets my full support now he is Rangers Manager. The question is will it be Micky Beale’s Blue & White army??? Come on The Rangers. Let’s land this season spectacularly now.

Although we can all be wise after the fact, none of us can foresee how this appointment will pan out. Sometimes (most times, even) it is more about having the right person, in the right place at the right time.
Now is the time for everyone to pull together, get behind the manager and the team. Let's what can be retrieved from the poor position we find ourselves in at the moment.
Get off to a flying (re) start and keep believing.
Good luck, Mick.

Last edited:
Michael Beale is head and shoulders above ange tactically. The Gaffer will have that fat kunts number. Come on Mr Beale, take 3 points aff them at the beginning of 23 and we're right back in it.
The question marks are around the players. Can they put in the effort to carry out his instructions? I want to see a snarling, in your face performance from our players. Give that abomination of a club hell, including their management team. No shaking hands or niceties, ignore them, and get stuck into them.

I think criticism of the board has now accelerated to such an extent that nothing it does slows it down.
On the contrary, the board, their sometimes batsh1t decisions and their limited achievements truly deserve much closer scrutiny than they get on here but that is for another day.

Here's Wison's final line from yesterday's official blatt.

“Finally, this is a coveted managerial position and after an intense week of discussions, I wish to extend our sincere thanks to all of the excellent managers who we met to discuss the role.”

If a guy whose track record in management is a less than 50% win rate, and I'm not swallowing any excuses that the English Championship is full of quality sides, is the pick of the bunch after a week of INTENSE discussions with other excellent managers, then goodness only knows the calibre of the also rans?

Or you could say to yourself this is more garbage trotted out from a charlatan who has no place at Ibrox and a populist appointment (hey it beats lazy and incompetent) made by the board that will help deflect criticism away from themselves next week.

Just so as we're clear here, I want Michael Beale to be as much a success at Ibrox as any Rangers fan. What I'm saying right from the start is there have to be worries if the decision has been made based on his success as a manager elsewhere.

One last point, I've read for over 22 years now that FF is not representative of the Rangers support at large. After reading some of the hysterical tripe posted on here about our new manager, I hope that's at least true of the shareholders next week.

Anyone got a ‘behind the paywall’ version of the Athletic article on beale? Supposed to be good
Wee hint, go onto the page, disable java script and refresh, gets rid of paywalls. It does disable videos etc too but if you're wanting to just read articles from sits with pay walls thats the way to do it. Just remember to re-enable it when you're done

Let's be honest the realistic options out there were not really inspired choices. Check the poll in the new manager thread and a lot of the names would have been a complete punt (as is any new manager) Not getting the 'lazy appointment' comments that's a bit of a lazy comment if truth be told.

A sensible appointment is probably more accurate. No frills obviously as Mick Beale is very early in his management career but by all accounts is respected by the players and is widely praised for his training sessions and his tactical approach. He knows most of the squad, the club, staff etc so we have no issues with him settling in and the transition for the players is a lot more smooth.

His biggest challenge right off the bat is the injury list and specifically the defence as that is not going to improve right away no matter any amount of training, drills, tactics or anything else he can do in the next couple of weeks. We have a young lad in Leon King who is nowhere near ready as a regular starter and a more seasoned defender in Davies who is maybe got about 60-70 minutes in him at the moment. Failing that as back up we have James Sands who is still fairly inexperienced and a natural CM. We have Tav on the right and no fit LB until Croatia get papped out the WC and Borna comes back so let's hope Croatia don't go too far if they get out the groups as who knows when Yilmaz will be back from injury. Goldson was rumoured for a January return but we would all hope it's earlier.

What MB will need to do is get our midfield and attack firing to negate the inevitable defensive issues we will face over the next few weeks, which will in turn help take the pressure off our patched up defence. It's a tough ask as our first 5 games back are Hibs (H), Ross County (A) Aberdeen (H) Motherwell (A) and finishing with the Scum at Home. Three of the most difficult Home games and two tricky away grounds to go to so by no means an easy start to life as a Rangers manager.

Win all 5 and would be an excellent start heading into the January window.
I am sure we can all agree MB is going to need our full backing and a bit of patience at times. As this is a huge moment in our season.

Goldson has been training for a fortnight now, he won't be far off come the Hibs game hopefully.

See if someone told you we had just gotten a new manager you’ve never heard of but he had just knocked Wolves back…..would you be excited then?

I honestly think it’s strange that people don’t want to give the guy a chance, he has the same chance of being successful as he does as being unsuccessful, let him prove you wrong.

People want a fancy and shiny new toy to be excited about. To some, Beale is an old toy that had been shelved.

But, as you say, minus his previous Rangers connection, people would rightly be excited if not intrigued by Beale being appointed.

Back