Rangers could face new-look Champions League next season if they clinch Premiership title

Wanna make it more exciting? Eliminate seeding in the group stages. Every year would see a few small teams get the luck of the draw and make the later stages of the competition and the money would help them compete with the elite teams in the long run.

Can’t see anything changing until 2024 at the earliest due to the TV deals signed.

My prediction is a 64 team Champions League to appease everyone. Bigger nations like England get 6 places (the real reason this is happening imo) and smaller nations like ours could be guaranteed 1 automatic place. (Plus qualifying places).

The UEFA President will want to fend off a breakaway league and FIFA but also look to keep happy the rest of the nations due to voting reasons etc.

A change next season to last season's end may be great for TV, it wouldn't be great for the fans who wouldn't have a home game at that stage.

Then again football is run for TV at that level now, fans are almost irrelevant.

Sorry, but I don't see it in that document. What it shows is that every round for the Champions Path was made on the basis of co-efficient.
And theres 4 seeded spots for the final round and we have a lower coefficient than at least 4 of the likely teams, possibly more.

* Now we are very close I will sit work out expected list.

Olympiakos. Dinamo Zagreb. Red Star Belgrade. Salzburg. Young Boys all well clear of us.

Even Ludogorets. Slavia Prague and Apoel are above us.

Thats not to say I fear any of those 8

Last edited:
could be something like a group of 7 teams - play each other once, top 2/3 qualify

potential that groups could be seeded or have higher seeded teams together so there is always a 'big match' , maybe top seeded group 3 teams qualify for knock out round and 'lower team' groups might only have 1 qualification place - whatever they do it'll favour the big teams

NFL qualifying as follows

Six teams from each conference qualify for the playoffs, with the four division winners qualifying automatically. These winners are joined by two teams called wildcard teams, who qualify based on the win-loss records of the remaining teams in each conference that didn’t finish first in their respective divisions.

The two division winners with the highest winning percentages host second-round games, skipping the first round of competition. The third and fourth division winners host the wildcard teams in the first round.

The winners of the two wildcard games advance to the second round of contests, called Divisional Playoff games. The lowest-rated wildcard winner plays the division winner with the best record, and the other wildcard winner plays the division winner with the second-best record. Both division winners enjoy home field advantage, meaning that they host the games.

For the Conference Championship games (the third round), any surviving division champion automatically hosts the game. If two division winners survive, the team with the better winning percentage hosts the championship game. If the two surviving teams have identical records, home field is based on how the two teams performed in head-to-head competition during the season, and then on who had the best winning percentage in conference games.

Am i correct in saying if we win the league this year we would have to play a round to qualify for the Champions League group stages?
That’s right. You could say get 110 points to be champions of your league and then play a match before you qualify for the champions league. .

The champions of europe should only come from the champions of each country. All the additions have made the competition a bogey. Allowing 4 teams from same country and allowing team to default into Europa.

Scotland will have two places in the Champions League next season after clinching a spot in the top 15 of Uefa’s coefficient rankings.

Aberdeen, Hibs, do you copy? Get the finger out please!

Sorry, but I don't see it in that document. What it shows is that every round for the Champions Path was made on the basis of co-efficient.
That was what the poster meant I think.

Basically we only have 3 seasons of decent coefficient scores.

I think we should be seeded for QR3 and apparently we are quite close to the required coefficient to be seeded in the playoff round. A continued good run in the EL this season would help us for next season.

Aye it's a shame but that's the road to getting the league winners automatic entry into the group stage every year, which (whisper it quietly) should be us.
Then sit with the popcorn out , watching them fail to get through the qualifiers :D .

That was what the poster meant I think.

Basically we only have 3 seasons of decent coefficient scores.

I think we should be seeded for QR3 and apparently we are quite close to the required coefficient to be seeded in the playoff round. A continued good run in the EL this season would help us for next season.
Yes, I had a wee look at the Bert Kassies site. We are currently on 27.5pts (hopefully we'll get a few more) and there are some possible champions from leagues further down the rankings than Scotland that could have a higher co-efficient. Teams from Serbia, Czech, Croatia could have a higher co-eff although I'd still fancy our chances.:)

And theres 4 seeded spots for the final round and we have a lower coefficient than at least 4 of the likely teams, possibly more.

* Now we are very close I will sit work out expected list.
Yes, I see what you mean now, thanks:))

I don't think any of these changes will be coming in soon. Think the UEFA comps run in 3 year cycles and 21/22 is the start of a new one with all the rules, regulations and branding locked in for the term.

In the playoff round - which we are in if the CL winners qualify through thepie league - we are seeded I think. Our current coefficient would be enough to be seeded this year in the playoff round.

No it wouldn't.

Our coefficient is currently 26.25

The bottom seeded side in the Champions path was Slavia Prague who's total was 27.5

As things stand, we would likely be unseeded.

Having never watched the Super Bowl, does anyone know what format this is he's referring to?
The nfl has a league system where each team plays 17 games with no relegation then 1 legged playoffs between top 16 teams before the super bowl final

sounds to me like he wants a European super league each team playing each other home and away then a 1 leg knockout type tournament like last august to decide the winner

Could see UEFA and some of the big clubs wanting to package the semi-finals and final into a 10day event and invite bids from cities around the world to host it

Boils my pish that after years of celtic having a free run at champions league money that they will have a chance to get in next year off the back of Rangers hard work.
we can only hope that the team close to them in the split get second after a hard fought win against us, never forget 2006 when McManus own-goal helped hearts to stop us getting second and they went on to claim the money after hearts got knocked out in the first qualifying round.

How about a format where only the champions of each country enter into an unseeded home and away knockout format.

Let's say, for example, Juventus won Serie A, PSV Eindhoven won the Dutch league, Let's imagine that Nottingham Forest won the Premiership, and Rangers won the Scottish. I would let the previous year's champions enter as well if they didn't win their league. Let's say Liverpool as an example.

Rangers might draw Juventus in the first round and beat them over the two legs and progress to the second round, where they could meet, for example, PSV.

The second round might also throw Forest and Liverpool together.

That could make it possible for a completely unpredictable final between Forest, and let's say Malmo, sharing the trophy and the cash around.

That couldn't possibly work,......could it?

How about they pyramid the money in reverse going from the teams that receive the less in their respective countries to the most in their countries.

Level out the playing field a bit.

The money difference is huge if we qualify for the Champions League.
I think qualifying for the CL group stage guarantees around £30m.

A win in the EL = €570k
A win in the CL = €2.7m
A draw in the EL = €190k
A draw in CL = €900k
€9.5m for qualifying for the knockout rounds aswell.

I like the idea of 5 team groups playing 4 games, would ease the fixture congestion a bit. Still guaranteed 2 home games for revenue, more chance of a big team going out if they have a bad result or 2. No country protection, no seeding. Games would have a more one of knockout feel about them.

Rangers could face a new-look Champions League if they clinch the Premiership title.

Uefa are set to overhaul the group stages next season because it’s “boring” according to Bayern Munich chief Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

Scotland will have two places in the Champions League next season after clinching a spot in the top 15 of Uefa’s coefficient rankings.

Bayern chief executive Rummenigge said: “The biggest problem of the Champions League is currently the group stage because this threatens to get a little boring. I know Uefa are working on a plan that will make that stage of the competition more attractive.

“People will like what they come up with — I’m convinced of that. Last season’s method of elimination from the quarter -finals was exhilarating.

“The Super Bowl is a good example. That sounds good to me.”

Meanwhile, Rangers idol Kris Boyd is to sell face masks with his big smile on them to raise money for his mental health charity.

The Gers legend has taken to social media this evening to share the news with his followers.

The masks will have his cheeky grin printed on them, which people have become more used to seeing on TV recently with Rangers on course to win the Scottish Premiership.

The SunSport columnist's charity logo will also be printed on to the mask and will sit either side of the snapshot of his mouth.

The former Kilmarnock ace wrote: "Good evening all. IF YOU WANT TO SUPPORT MY CHARITY.

"Available to order tomorrow from The Kris Boyd Charity Shopify are these high quality facemasks. I will post a link tomorrow."
Every league outside the top 5 should withdraw now while they still have some sort of power and form a new competition. Might sound daft but I think everyone knows in 10 years time the CL will be a closed shop. Every passing year our leagues get weaker and the rich leagues get richer.

The money difference is huge if we qualify for the Champions League.
I think qualifying for the CL group stage guarantees around £30m.

A win in the EL = €570k
A win in the CL = €2.7m
A draw in the EL = €190k
A draw in CL = €900k
Every game we have played in Europe this season has been close, edge of your seat stuff....

The enjoyment is in the game not the money

Wasn’t the buzz about it that they were going to add more teams to the groups?

8 groups of 6 to give the big teams more of a “challenge”

Rangers could face a new-look Champions League if they clinch the Premiership title.

Uefa are set to overhaul the group stages next season because it’s “boring” according to Bayern Munich chief Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

Bayern chief executive Rummenigge said: “The biggest problem of the Champions League is currently the group stage because this threatens to get a little boring. I know Uefa are working on a plan that will make that stage of the competition more attractive.

“People will like what they come up with — I’m convinced of that. Last season’s method of elimination from the quarter -finals was exhilarating.

“The Super Bowl is a good example. That sounds good to me.”

Meanwhile, Rangers idol Kris Boyd is to sell face masks with his big smile on them to raise money for his mental health charity.

The Gers legend has taken to social media this evening to share the news with his followers.

The masks will have his cheeky grin printed on them, which people have become more used to seeing on TV recently with Rangers on course to win the Scottish Premiership.

The SunSport columnist's charity logo will also be printed on to the mask and will sit either side of the snapshot of his mouth.

The former Kilmarnock ace wrote: "Good evening all. IF YOU WANT TO SUPPORT MY CHARITY.

"Available to order tomorrow from The Kris Boyd Charity Shopify are these high quality facemasks. I will post a link tomorrow."
Multiball, finally. An idea whose time has come

Do away with seeding so anyone can draw anyone in the groups

or

Go back to a massive knock out competition with no seeding either

At least that way it would give a better chance of someone different winning it and would do away with the crap in the groups where Bayern constantly get to play teams and take 5 and 6 off them

Could have a group with Liverpool, Bayern and Juve for example and for once you we wouldn’t all be able to easily predict the top 2 in each group

Group stage is my favourite part because you get to see teams that you don’t see much of. It’s the same teams every year in the last 16 onwards so it’s fun to see a mixture of ties.
This is exactly right. Point of the group stages is to improve football experience across the world. Good to see players like Messi and Ronaldo in Glasgow. Good for football. Football should be all about the fans. Covid should teach us that if nothing else the game is seriously devalued by the lack of fan participation in games.

Also current group allows the smaller teams some change fo progression. The Super Bowl format suggested would simply tip the scales in favour of the larger teams more than it already is.

Do away with seeding so anyone can draw anyone in the groups

or

Go back to a massive knock out competition with no seeding either

At least that way it would give a better chance of someone different winning it and would do away with the crap in the groups where Bayern constantly get to play teams and take 5 and 6 off them

Could have a group with Liverpool, Bayern and Juve for example and for once you we wouldn’t all be able to easily predict the top 2 in each group
Read that the plan was 2 groups, with seedings and teams guaranteed to play so many games against so many different seeds. 8 go through out of each group.

Back