Rangers could make massive profit on Barisic if they cash in after Euro 2020, insists his mentor

BlueMeanie

THE TOPIC of Steven Gerrard’s best Rangers signing would spark a debate.
Allan McGregor and Steven Davis on frees take some topping, and Glen Kamara was a steal at £50,000.
Rangers star Borna Barisic celebrates a goal

Joe Aribo was snatched for cross-border compensation, while Connor Goldson and Ryan Kent have justified the millions spent to land them.
But Borna Barisic’s mentor Alen Petrovic reckons the £2m Rangers paid Osijek for the left-back was inspired business.
And the Croatian club’s former sporting director says the Ibrox side could now make a massive profit if they wanted to cash in after this summer’s Euros.
: “We played against Rangers in the Europa League and we were disappointed to get knocked out.

“But Steven Gerrard saw how good Borna was over those two games.
“We did a deal and Borna has shown that his manager was right. He has been a fantastic player for Rangers.
“He is now ready for a higher level. He could play in the English Premier League no problem.
“I am 100 percent sure of that.
“He is Croatia’s No 1 left-back and they are a national team ranked as one of the world’s best.

“Borna is doing extremely well at a very good club and football people will know all about him.
“He has had a great season, with many good performances, assists and free-kicks.
"There will be a lot of clubs watching him at the Euros. What happens then is up to them.
“But I would say that probably all the big clubs in the top leagues know about him already.”
Barisic was tipped for stardom from his early days in the Osijek youth set-up and was in the first team at 20.
Barisic lines up for Croatia

He then landed a dream move to Dinamo Zagreb in 2015 — but failed to make his mark in the capital.
Petrovic kept an eye on his progress and didn’t hesitate when he had the chance to re-sign him after a year.
That was a crucial moment for Barisic, who kick-started his career and then won a Croatia call-up after six months.
He never looked back from there and Rangers jumped at the chance to sign him after he impressed in those Europa League qualifiers.
Petrovic said: “I have known Borna since he was a young teenager and I always believed in him.
“We come from the same town and he signed with Osijek and you could see his potential.
“Borna was getting attention and he signed for Dinamo Zagreb but didn’t play much.
“Then he had a loan at Lokomotiva.
"For me, one of the defining moments in Borna's career was when he left Dinamo and decided to come back to Osijek. He had to start again.
"It was a second chance for him to show what he could do and he took it.
Borna Barisic scoring from the penalty spot against Royal Antwerp in the Europa League

“He showed even greater quality and that was the moment where his career really took off.
"We took him back to Osijek in 2016 and, after that, he went from strength to strength.
“He was fantastic for us and then he went to Glasgow and has done so well for Rangers.
“Borna is stable but also very ambitious and that’s why he went to Rangers.
“We are all proud of his achievements and I think we all did a good job with him at Osijek.”
Barisic took a season to fully settle at Ibrox but is now one of Gerrard’s go-to players.
The Croatian has been a model of consistency at left-back and has also weighed in with crucial goals and his assists.
His set-piece delivery is up there with the best but Petrovic insists Barisic has had to work very hard for his success.
The 28-year-old has had plenty of knocks along the way but has always come out fighting. Petrovic is proud at how far his star pupil has come.
He said: “A coach can always rely on Borna but a first season at a new club in a different country will always be difficult.

“People need to adapt and Rangers had to be patient with him.
“Borna needed some time to settle down and show his qualities but I knew that he would.
“He is a fighter and a winner. That is inside him.
“Borna will always look for more and more from himself and the club.
“I knew he would do well at Rangers.
“I have spoken to him since Rangers won the league and he was very proud of the achievement.
“It was a big moment for him and it was news all across Europe because it had been a long time since Rangers won the championship.
“Borna is professional. He’s a top player and has done so well at Rangers.”

His market value is quoted as just under 5M. I appreciate the comment above about his age and 30M however 20M must be realistic if he has a solid Euros. From a 2M initial spend? Lovely.

Who? Bassey isn’t the answer in that respect

Doig?
Tymoteusz Puchacz is a possible shout plays for Lech Pozan attacking full back, plenty of experience, and has a decent left foot.

Doig has lots of potential probably the only SPFL player I think we could bring in and seriously develop the lad has something about him decent engine, gets forward and looks to put balls into the box.

Last edited:
He’s so important to how we attack and it won’t be easy to find someone with the same qualities who can slot in straight away.

It’s the reason we have Ross Wilson I suppose.

Will be hard to take whoever does leave in the summer.

I hope he gets back to full fitness and has a great Euros - regardless of whether it increases his value.
I love to see our players do really well for their countries as it is another advert for others to come and play for us - as well as our supporting our players even though they are not playing in a royal blue jersey.

I genuinely believe we would miss him. The accuracy of most of his crosses is outstanding. He compliments Tav. We need him for CL if we get through to the group stages.

Plenty of players 29 and older sell for 30mil and above. I agree tho I think thats a stretch for Borna no matter how much I rate him!
Its Scotland, no matter how good someone is there is a ceiling clubs will go too.
For example , could Ally have scored 350 goals in England.
His club football cv isnt inspiring.
Outwith anything we need cash in the door, prefer to keep Morelos.
Bassey aint the answer and never will be.

I’d shoot slightly lower.
A 28 year old with limited resale value, four year contract, that would mean a team spending £2-3m per season on him, plus his salary.
They dont bother in England with regards to resale.
Some of the teams in the EPL bottom half will pay anything if they think they wont get relegated.

They dont bother in England with regards to resale.
Some of the teams in the EPL bottom half will pay anything if they think they wont get relegated.
All true and if it’s an English club wanting him, my theory is blown out of the water.
I wasn’t thinking of just England though and I don’t know how French or German sides, for example, view buying players.

I love all the opinions and the valuations given by Follow Follow experts.

Let's leave it to Ross Wilson to get the best deal possible for any outgoing transfers.

I have complete faith in him, judging by our incoming transfer dealings so far.

A 28 year old with limited resale value, four year contract, that would mean a team spending £2-3m per season on him, plus his salary.
There’s always wild over valuations of our players any time one is suggested for sale.

He’ll be 29 in November so admittedly any resale value after a 3-4 year contract will be much lower, but he’s in his prime now as a player, features regularly for his country and has looked the part against some top class European opponents.

I feel something in the region of £12-13m is probably what we should be looking for.

Any lower and there is no point is selling. His freekixks, corners, crosses, energy and solidity at the back. If folk don't want to pay top doller for that, so be it. We don't need to sell.

To us, he is worth more. It doesn't matter what he is worth to someone else really. If I only valued Messi at 1 million, I'm not gonna be buying him no matter how many others agreed with me am I?

His next club won't care about resale value. They will be buying a 28 year old wanting to get 4-5 years from him.
Definitely. Plenty of clubs don’t have the resell model, they buy for the current season. There are teams in the Premier League down south who would spend 10 million on a player with the sole aim of not getting relegated that season.

I don’t think resell value will have a big an impact on the price as some think it will.

He’s 28 so after the Euros is the prime chance to cash in. Presuming he’s not injured & actually has a good tournament.
I can see your point.

But we also have to look at what he brings to the team in terms of the consistency of the quality of cross and his overall worth to our overall structure and set up.

Along with Morelos and Kent, Borna is the player who stands out for me. Top quality player who will be able to handle a step up to CL.

If he does well in the euros, £30m

We need to stop undervaluing our players just because they play in Scotland. £30m is what he is worth imo in today's market
Don’t be daft we won’t get anything like £30 million for him. We would be doing well to get half of that figure I’m afraid. Money will be tight this summer with all that’s gone on in the last year.

This guy has only spelled out what we already know!

"Borna is Croatia's first choice left back and Croatia are one of the top ranked teams in world football.

The player has serious market value in anybodys language, so if and when potential suitors come calling the £30mil quoted is by no means excessive.

His market value is quoted as just under 5M. I appreciate the comment above about his age and 30M however 20M must be realistic if he has a solid Euros. From a 2M initial spend? Lovely.
We’d be better keeping him than selling for £5million , there’s no one quite like him , especially with that wand of a left foot .

I'd love to know Bornas thoughts, leave after the Euros , or play in the champions league back infront of fans who absolutely adore him

We’d be better keeping him than selling for £5million , there’s no one quite like him , especially with that wand of a left foot .
Absolutely. Unless he was leaving for nowt id never advocate selling him for 5. As well as being a good defender, the goals he could contribute to....

I would be looking to keep him unless an offer of £14m+ is received.

Not sure he would be keen on a mid table team in one of the big leagues as that's where I reckon suitors would be.

Different story if a team with CL knockout stage ambitions such as Seville or Atalanta or Leipzig etc came calling.

Thankfully half this thread don't negotiate our transfers.
He is going on 29 not 39 ffs. Has no-one seen a 36yr old Steven Davis shining among some of Europe's best?
We live in a world where resale value is a factor in players we buy. English Premiership teams don't.

Latest posts

Back