Rangers could make massive profit on Barisic if they cash in after Euro 2020, insists his mentor

His market value is quoted as just under 5M. I appreciate the comment above about his age and 30M however 20M must be realistic if he has a solid Euros. From a 2M initial spend? Lovely.
I’d say 15-20m and that is tidy business indeed.

I think we get a bid in the range of 12-14 million I think we sell. I love barisic but I think he’s replaceable, unlike some people in our team.

Plenty of players 29 and older sell for 30mil and above. I agree tho I think thats a stretch for Borna no matter how much I rate him!
I was curious about just how prevalent this once so I found stats from Transfer market.

Turns out there's a fair number of examples of 29+ year olds going for over 30m. Definitely wouldn't rule it out with Borna in today's market.

Zidane to Madrid - 01/02
Pjanic to Barca - 20/21
Diego Costa to Atletico - 17/18
Hulk to Shanghai - 16/17
Matic to Man Utd - 17/18
Shevchenko to Chelsea - 06/07
Paulinho to Guangzhou - 18/19
Bonucci to Milan - 17/18
Jackson Martinez to Guangzhou - 15/16
Rui Costa to Milan - 01/02
Ben Yedder to Monaco - 19/20
Paulinho to Barca - 19/20
Nainggolan to Inter - 18/19
Thuram to Juventus - 01/02
Cillessen to Valencia - 19/20
David Luiz to Chelsea - 16/17
Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd - 17/18
Mkhitaryan to Arsenal - 17/18
Gameiro to Atletico - 16/17
Van Persie to Man Utd - 12/13
Hummels to Dortmund - 19/20
Gueye to PSG - 19/20

If he has a good Euros we could easily sell him for £20M, which is peanuts for EPL clubs. As much as I like him and don’t want to sell him, he’s not the best defensively.

The first choice Croatian National team left back is a £20 million player. Think about that. He is first pick.

Borna is solid, take away his assists and crossing ability the main thing for me how much he has improved physically.

He rarely gets skinned and wins a high % of his duels in deck or in the air.

I would keep him as I reckon he would be happy to stay for next 2/3 years and cash in elsewhere.

What we need to do is stop trying suggest our people don’t know the value of our players.
I get people like to guess what our squad is 'worth' but the old saying is they are only worth what clubs are willing to pay. The opposite is true though. If bids are too low, as with Tav last year, teams are politely told to gtf.

Personally, I hope he signs a new four year contract and declares he wants to see out his playing days here.

Love the big, mad bassa (even if he screams like a wee lassie at times).

I’ll be gutted when players from this side move on. But I’ve got every confidence that Ross Wilson and the manager have a database of replacements to fit how we play.

Who are the other left backs? Playing for a good team doesn’t automatically mean you’re worth a fortune.
Conversely playing for a shitty team doesn't automatically mean you aren't worth a fortune. There's really nobody hovering over his position however in the current market, despite them sitting 14th in the rankings he's a £20millon player. Look at paper hips. 25 million? This idea that he's not worth it is ludicrous. IF they have a successful competition in June then we need to be looking at that price.

Puschasz? He’s polish I think.
Borna Sosa at Stuttgart is the Croatian guy who’s knocking on the door for the starting place in the national team
It came out yesterday that this guy is switching nationalities to Germany. He was the only player who could’ve realistically challenged Bornas place so looks like he’ll be going to the euros as their first choice left back for certain now

I know we have to sell someone of his calibre this summer, but I’d hate to lose his production down the left. He makes a massive contribution to our success,,and Bassey isn’t even close as a replacement. Hagi, Kamara, and Aribo would be less damaging to lose imo. However, they might not bring in the same type of fee.

He will not be far off 29.
I don’t think we’d get much north of £12m. Would rather keep him though.

If you want to hold onto the likes of Kamara and Kent it’s the likes of Borna and Goldson that end up needing sold if we’re making any sales. A good business model cashes in when the time is right. Age and contract are two huge factors. A good football operation has their replacements already identified!

We could get some very tempting offers for Borna (and Kamara) after the Euros. It's common knowledge that every member of the squad has a valuation and it stands to reason that if we receive any offers in excess of that then they must be considered.
I trust the management team to do what's best for Rangers.

I'd settle for half of the £30m. Turning 29 later this year will have an affect on just how much any club would be willing to pay for Borna.
Why? Not every club is bothered about a resale value. Some want to buy the best talent they can regardless of age. Even if he signed a 4 year deal, he could still play on at the end of the contract if he looks after himself and has no injuries, look at Davis this past couple of years for example. If he's good enough, somebody will pay big bucks for him.

A good European Championship for Barisic (or Kakmara, or Helander) would/could create a lot of interest in him.

Whether we cash in is likely to depend on whether we qualify for the CL group stages. I can't see many outgoings - possibly 1 - before the outcome is known to us. Qualifying may see others go but would allow them to leave on our terms. No more undervalued transfer out.

Wilson knows what he is doing so there is no need to panic over this.

I think that the decision of the manager about whether Bassey had a future at the club after the Covid bis critical in all of this.

If Bassey is seen as being a first team player over the next couple of seasons then Barisic moving doesn’t create issues within the team, and potentially brings in a decent fee.

That Bassey didn’t start any matches since the Covid incident (at least I can’t remember any), during a period where Barisic looked a bit tired and out of form tells me that he is a goner.

Patterson came in to cover Tav’s injury, so it was kind of dealt to us but the lad did so well that he seems to have saved his Rangers career.
No such opportunity afforded to Bassey.

This guy has only spelled out what we already know!

"Borna is Croatia's first choice left back and Croatia are one of the top ranked teams in world football.

The player has serious market value in anybodys language, so if and when potential suitors come calling the £30mil quoted is by no means excessive.
That would put him at about 5th or 6th in the biggest ever fees for a left back. More than Spurs paid for Reguilon who had been a standout for the Europa League winning team last season, albeit he wasn't an international at that point.

I'm not trying to devalue Barisic as I think the guy is quality but I think the only type of player we would get close to £30m for is a young player with obvious potential. It's a frustrating state but playing in Scotland seems to have a bigger influence on a players value than their performances in Europe or with a national team, and not in a good way

I think that the decision of the manager about whether Bassey had a future at the club after the Covid bis critical in all of this.

If Bassey is seen as being a first team player over the next couple of seasons then Barisic moving doesn’t create issues within the team, and potentially brings in a decent fee.

That Bassey didn’t start any matches since the Covid incident (at least I can’t remember any), during a period where Barisic looked a bit tired and out of form tells me that he is a goner.

Patterson came in to cover Tav’s injury, so it was kind of dealt to us but the lad did so well that he seems to have saved his Rangers career.
No such opportunity afforded to Bassey.
He played the full 90 against Cove but you may have a point. On the other hand, with Patterson on the other side perhaps it's as simple as the Manager not wanting to go with two rookie full-backs at the same time.

He played the full 90 against Cove but you may have a point. On the other hand, with Patterson on the other side perhaps it's as simple as the Manager not wanting to go with two rookie full-backs at the same time.
Definately could be a factor that two understudies in such critical positions in our system was deemed as risky but the general absence of Bassey jumped out at me.

It would be a real shame because Bassey looks like he could develop well.

Definately could be a factor that two understudies in such critical positions in our system was deemed as risky but the general absence of Bassey jumped out at me.

It would be a really shame because Bassey looks like he could develop well.
He's been crucified because of the St Mirren league Cup game - where more than he were poor. I don't think he has the potential of Patterson but I still have high hopes he could do reasonably well.

Back