Rangers' defeat left me so raging I aimed flip flop at my new telly but where was the players' anger? - Barry Ferguson

A 25 year old Ferguson in our midfield now would change everything.

You’re five years too late.

I honestly think 19-22 year old Ferguson could have strolled into any side. His pace was completely under-appreciated, he was rapid and allied to his technical ability he was untouchable.

After his first bad injury he lost the speed a little bit but still obviously a very good player.

Halliday got stuck in when one of theirs had a go at Hagi, but that was it.

Very rarely do you see them get involved or stand up for each other.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this, does my head in and tells me a lot about the type of players we have at the club.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this, does my head in and tells me a lot about the type of players we have at the club.

Infuriates me mate. Some of the treatment that Morelos gets and not one player gets involved. I would honestly even be alright with a yellow card here and there for a bit of retribution.

Same as how we give the referee an easy ride. You don’t need to scream in the ref’s face, but we don’t even challenge them. Didn’t see one player properly go over the ref after that Morelos goal against Killie.

Spineless. Probably explains why they’ve shat the bed every time they’ve looked like achieving something.

What would we pay to have Fergie in our midfield right now, more than we paid for Kent but it would have been worth it. We need someone like him that's for sure.

Several of them got in about Power in the Kent incident and it probably led to Kent being booked.

Goldson got in the refs face the about Cosgrove, booked.

It's a farce.

The men with heart years ago and no longer within our squad.

Barry, Davie Weir, Thomson, Miller and McGregor (I know hes still here) but that is some spine of a team.

I understand he’s frustrated like all of us and the main point here . Also one of my favourite players of all time .

But do we really need to read that he got a new telly for his birthday and he “ nearly ripped it off the wall” and “ removed a flip flop and threw it at it “ but is glad he didn’t ?

What a load of shite Barry . No you didn’t .

There was a moment right after Killie scored their first, where the players didn't seem too peturbed. I expected to see them screaming in frustration or having words with each other, but there were a few hands-on-hips and an almost resignation.

He’s absolutely right. Those players looked like they’d chucked it in the second half and didn’t give a fck. Second to every loose ball, outmuscled and bullied in every challenge and strolling about half-arsing it until the inevitable happened.

Killie looked far more up for it than we did.

The lack of fight and anger on the pitch is really worrying. We look great when its going well but as soon as we are struggling we collapse into silence and just accept the outcome. It surprises me this because SG was the sort of player that did not allow this as a player so why as a manager he hasn’t fixed this problem? Why??

most probs the reason then why weve lost the title in thw space of 3 games

The guy most are eulogising over in this thread played half his career for us injured.

We don't have a strong enough squad to cover for 3 or 4 of our top players being injured / suspended and missing weeks of football at the one time.

The guy most are eulogising over in this thread played half his career for us injured.

We don't have a strong enough squad to cover for 3 or 4 of our top players being injured / suspended and missing weeks of football at the one time.
i agree a few injuries were threadbare. but still think jacks been really poor. al go back as far as killie at Ibrox then them at piggery b4 the break he was poor. again am not bashing jack here a love him am more going along the lines of what would be good is if we had a barry ferguson. unfortunately a dont see that in any of the players we have.

Totally agree, at the end of the game the other night the players shit themselves other than Andy Halliday to come near the fans, they bolted right up the tunnel embarrassed with themselves. They need to come out fighting now and start winning 2nd balls and get the crowd behind them
Jack came over too .

Can't knock that.

His media stuff usually irritates me, but that's just a reality. How many in the dressing room feel what we feel after a game like that?

I'm not Barry's biggest fan but one thing is for sure, he would not have stood for that shit show on Wednesday night. He would have been in people's faces when that equaliser went in.

It’s a good article that all of us can relate to, but I was struck by this passage:

“Most importantly, I could see that same pain written all over Gerrard’s face. I could tell just by looking at him he is not prepared to accept what these players have been giving him since they returned from the winter break.”

The questions I find myself asking here then are 1) why isn’t Gerrard getting through to these players? and 2) why didn’t he change things around much earlier if he was so unhappy with what he was getting from them?

I’ve said since last summer that I didn’t think we had enough genuine quality in the side to lead us to the title. This is the effect of being limited financially. Gerrard doesn’t have the options to turn to in order to make significant ingame improvements. It’s not so much that the players aren’t giving him enough so much as they’re simply not good enough to do so consistently over a 60 game season.

So unless we’re able to better bridge the financial gap that exists between ourselves and the Yahoos, Gerrard is always going to face an uphill battle.

Agree with Barry, there are times on here when we as a support have questioned our team's bottle?we have to meet and match other teams physicality,and aggression,and no it's not all down to the referees.

Can’t disagree with him at all. I’d give my left nad to have a player like him in our midfield right now.
Absolutely. Sadly in this day and age if we had a player of his quality he would have been snapped up by an EPL club way before he went there in his day. It’s becoming increasingly more difficult to have players of genuine quality in our country.

Any single one of us on here could have written that, well said Barry - so how many players have log ins on here though. They need to get the message or ship out ASAP.

You are spot on with that thinking.

I’ve said this before but when things aren’t going the Mhanks way at other teams grounds, they abandon the plan A and lump it forward, intimidate, break up the play, basically whatever it takes within the confines of what the refs let them off with (which is a lot)

The Rangers players need to start getting ‘mean’ and playing like there’s nothing they will accept other than victory. Play a fair game and be respectful as they always are but ffs try to grab the game and change it. Barry Ferguson was a wee shit and I hated him playing against us but he could wake the dead and get them fighting.

We have been soft as shit for 10 years.

Normally Barry writes a load of toe the line nonsense but he's got it spot on here.

I think Tav is a good player. I think Tav is a good captain - he is a good role model, represents the club well and is clearly respected by the players.
BUT.......
He isn't a shouter!

There is nobody in there to stir things up to provoke a reaction.

We are too nice!

Even if you go back to the Joey Barton debacle. After we were gubbed, I WANT the players hurting. I WANT them angry on the training ground the next day. Get it out there! So long as there's no grudges kept for later.

We win as a team. We lose as a team.

Yes., our wee Colombian had a poor game by his standards the other night. People also said he was poor against Hamilton and Hibs.............but I would disagree. For those 2 other games, he got shots away and on target. So, I regard Wednesday as isolated.

It's unfair on the "other" centre half from Goldson to know that if they make 1 mistake - they are dropped.

We know that we have a decent - even good team. But, it's not quite there yet. We need an out and out leader. Someone who will take a booking - but, make sure it's a deserved one.

A total clear out - again - is not the answer. But, we need to look at the players we have and are they good enough. Why did we keep Ojo - and send Jamie Murphy out for example?

First time in a long time I’ve felt like saying I’m standing beside Barry Ferguson right now.

The issue for me isn’t the reaction to going 1-1 - I thought we were unlucky not to go back in front. The problem is in sitting on a 1-0 lead, either thinking the game is done or lacking the killer instinct to kill it off. The reason referee clangers are mattering is because we’re not putting teams way. The Hibs away performance in Dec is the template. The manager takes a lot of blame here as he should have seen this pattern playing out on Wed, yet he did nothing to change it.

We are nowhere even near savvy enough for that.

The thought of going five in midfield and seeing out a 1-0 when we’re struggling a wee bit actually seems alien to this squad and management.

At times I think you have played scintillating football this season, particularly against us in the cup semi and also at the piggery.

Now it’s looking as though you’re right and there isnt a plan B if the game gets ugly, which it will against 10 of the other 11 teams in the league. Look at Tynecastle the other week, the minute one mistake is made suddenly you are second to every ball and instead of flooding the midfield with an extra body the game plan stayed the same.

We have been soft as shit for 10 years.

I’ll go with that. Last season it was points dropped against teams you should have beaten that cost you and ultimately it looks like that’s going to be the story this year unless something drastic/unexpected happens with both Rangers players attitudes and Celtic going through a huge slump. It’s okay having superior players which imo rangers do but if the application and fight isn’t there then it won’t win the day.

Back