Rangers Development Squad 1-2 Brighton

Oranje

Rangers.co.uk

GRAEME MURTY was proud of the way his side matched-up with Premier League Brighton tonight – but reiterated the need for Rangers teams to win matches.

The Light Blues conceded a last-gasp Ryan Longman goal having earlier cancelled out a Max Sanders opener through a Jamie Barjonas strike.

Both sides had a number of chances to win the game, with Murty praising ‘keeper Aidan McAdams and opposite number Tom McGill for their efforts in the game – but it was at the other end of the park Murty focused most of his attention and making sure Rangers get the rewards for their good play.

Speaking to RangersTV, he explained: “I thought they stood up to it, and both goalkeepers were excellent and kept the scoreline down when it could have been a cricket score at both ends.

“So that is another thing we are going to do – we are going to form relationships with different teams of different statures and make sure we represent our club properly, and I think the boys did that for the majority of the game.

... Continued on the club website

I like the way GM speaks, and appreciates the need for the winning mentality that needs to be bred at our club.

Strongly believe that GM is a highly valuable asset to our club and should be appreciated as such. Glad to have him in the role he is in.

I'm really liking this whole development squad concept thats running too. Putting the young guys up against senior opposition and really challenging them.

I like the way GM speaks, and appreciates the need for the winning mentality that needs to be bred at our club.

Strongly believe that GM is a highly valuable asset to our club and should be appreciated as such. Glad to have him in the role he is in.

Agree NJ, we need the Graeme Murty's of this world at Ibrox.

Barjonas head and shoulders above everything on the park according to some Twitter reports.

All good experience for the young lads and I'm hearing that Barjonas had another good game and would appear to be a level above.

Good experience for kids. Probably better than what they will come up against up here.

Barjonas' goal was a really good finish into the bottom corner.

We played well but we very tired in the final 10 minutes. Their winner came from us giving the ball away in our own half with a minute left.

I like this new set up for the development squad. Will only help their development playing against better opposition.

The team that finished the game was very young , it's a hard learning experience for the kids but will stand them in good stead if they can adapt to the higher standard expected.

Hopefully the club will release information a bit further in advance for the home games and allow us the chance to make plans to get along. They only told us entry details on Monday this week.

Can only benefit our youngsters by playing quality opposition. Pity they lost that late goal mind you

Like this new set up. As well as being better for the youngsters it generates more interest for our supporters.

Thought the young lads played some very good football in the first half and were unlucky not to be ahead at half time. However, it was just a case of superior fitness in the second half, our players were visibly toiling from around the 60th minute and Brighton stepped up a gear from there.

Barjonas the absolute standout player again, thought Atakayi and Dallas also showed real promise.

Somebody must be looking in. Info for the next 2 dev squad fixtures up well in advance.

Manchester City v Rangers

Saturday 16 September
Ethiad Campus

As a result of a major event taking place at the Ethiad Campus Manchester City have unfortunately informed us that the match is strictly closed door. We apologise to any supporters wishing to travel however we fully respect and understand the difficulties faced by City at their facility on this date.

Supporters must not travel as entry will not be permitted.

Rangers v Leicester City

Tuesday 26 September
Ibrox Stadium
7.15pm

Entry via West Enclosure, priced £5 for adults, £2 for concessions

How strong were Brighton?

I love what Murty and Mulholland are doing with the U20s set up this season.

It can only help our young players playing against better opponents regularly, we do need to start winning but it's something that will pay dividends in years to come, it should make the step up to the first team at SPFL level a smaller jump to make.

Went last night with my mate, who is an old geezer. Paid in at the west Enclosure turnstiles. He tried to pay for a concession, the steward told him it was just £5 for adults, there were no concessions.

Was this the case for anyone else?

Went last night with my mate, who is an old geezer. Paid in at the west Enclosure turnstiles. He tried to pay for a concession, the steward told him it was just £5 for adults, there were no concessions.

Was this the case for anyone else?

How many do you reckon were there mate?

I honestly couldn't tell you. We went in and sat near the half way line. Folk were in both enclosures but only using the back four or five rows and all spread out.

Three hundred? Maybe others will have a better idea.

I honestly couldn't tell you. We went in and sat near the half way line. Folk were in both enclosures but only using the back four or five rows and all spread out.

Three hundred? Maybe others will have a better idea.

That's shocking, especially at Ibrox and at those prices.

That's shocking, especially at Ibrox and at those prices.

Possibly more to do with the fact that the club had hardly promoted it at all. It took until Monday to have prices, etc confirmed. As someone else said, there were 50,000 people at the game last Saturday. Put an advert for the boys' game on the big screen. (They made us suffer the 'Ibrox is scary' video for long enough.)

Last edited:
Possibly more to do with the fact that the club had hardly promoted it at all. It took until Monday to have prices, etc confirmed. As someone else said, there were 50,000 people at the game. Put an advert for the boys' game on the big screen. (They made us suffer the 'Ibrox is scary' video for long enough.)

I agree it wasn't very well organised, they've got 13 days to promote the 2nd game, do it right this time for God sake :D

I agree it wasn't very well organised, they've got 13 days to promote the 2nd game, do it right this time for God sake :D

I may also have underestimated the crowd: difficult to tell when everyone is spread out so much along the length of the pitch. (If I'm at a junior game I'll sometimes count them, but I couldn't see everyone last night!!)

Possibly more to do with the fact that the club had hardly promoted it at all. It took until Monday to have prices, etc confirmed. As someone else said, there were 50,000 people at the game last Saturday. Put an advert for the boys' game on the big screen. (They made us suffer the 'Ibrox is scary' video for long enough.)

Yep, no info at all until Monday and you would have only known about it if you checked the website or seen it on here (or another social platform).

Back