Rangers expected to do little or nothing on transfer front this month

uGRZ7tV.gif

How can this be a surprise to anyone ... no fans means less disposable revenue.

Anyone demanding signings are not really living in the real world

I think we will sign Wright to come in this window, with a player going to the sheep on loan. But I think that will be all we will do.

Wouldn’t be the first time the media have told us something isn’t happening for it to then happen a few days/weeks later, especially since Gerrard came in.

I’m fine with us leaving our business until the summer though, happy with what we have.

Can’t watch it due to superstition, but how depressed is cocker currently in his commentary?

The League is won, save our money for some big signings in the summer and get into the CL group stages. Keep it going in the EL and hoover up some more cash.
WATP.

would rather wright stayed with the sheep for the rest of the season, they have still to play celtic 3 times and could help in their quest for 2nd place,as that mob are there for the taking

That lot fucking up probably means we can get away with not doing much. 4 points from the next two and the gap, even if they win their games in hand, is no worse than 12. After that we have a kinder run of fixtures.

Prior to Pittodrie I felt we needed a quality reinforcement to cover Jack and Arfield's absence.

I'd like to see Jones replaced. Wright would suffice. Need someone off the bench that Gerrard trusts again. Tbh for the sake of 55, I'd like him to wipe the slate clean for Jones and then punt in summer.

Wright i have no doubts will be a rangers player before the end of the window. Reducing the mccrorie fee is too much of a carrot for the sheep not to munch on.

In terms of further signings, I would expect us to do 1 or 2 pre contracts prior to end of season, then the real work will be done in summer.

I am resigned to losing around 3 of our squad to big money sales, namely borna, kamara and morelos.

When that happens, Ross Wilson comes to the fore.

He was dreadful on the day.
Perhaps if did break sweat!

Barker was given a more defensive role on the day - stop Ajer from stepping out of that back 3, which was one of Celtic's main threats at the time.

It was no coincidence that the one time Ajer did get to step out, which led to the good chance Griffiths couldn't make the most of, was not long after Barker was subbed.

He done his job that day, I reckon.

He won't be free as such, Aberdeen will be due a development compensation fee.

The one for Hastie worked out at around 300k reportedly, so that may be a decent barometer.
Aye that's probably around what it would be 200-300k. If we could offer them that now, to get him in six months early and send them Jones, Barker or Stewart on loan and sell no one else I'd be happy with this window. While I'd like another CM, we will hopefully have Jack back on Saturday and with that we will be able to rest some players in midfield soon.

Just hope we get wright done this month, coming in 6 months early has helped Davis, Defoe, Hagi and Kamara massively in the past. It let them get up to speed with our training and tactics, and that allowed them to start the new season while being used to our training, tactics and standards required at the clubs which can take a while for a new player to get used to. Those 6 months here will be far better for his development than playing clogger football under McInnes for another 6 months.

A few things make me want us to strengthen: to freshen/strengthen from a good position, European games are due to return and we’ll be busy and also to bed someone in for next season - so they hit ground running in our early start back.

But, I can understand us not spending at this ti

How is the squad for the EL campaign, could an added bit of quality take us further in that tournament? One of the most lamentable things that's happened in football over the last two decades is that clubs such as Rangers now appear to lack ambition to compete in Europe for prizes; perhaps when it comes to the CL that is understandable, but does this also apply to the EL as well now? Just a few posts above a poster says we can make a bit more money in the EL; if that is why we are in this competition then it's sad, because the Rangers I grew up with always had the hope of doing well in Europe from a football perspective. Only thirteen years ago we got to a UEFA Final; why not this year?

How is the squad for the EL campaign, could an added bit of quality take us further in that tournament? One of the most lamentable things that's happened in football over the last two decades is that clubs such as Rangers now appear to lack ambition to compete in Europe for prizes; perhaps when it comes to the CL that is understandable, but does this also apply to the EL as well now? Just a few posts above a poster says we can make a bit more money in the EL; if that is why we are in this competition then it's sad, because the Rangers I grew up with always had the hope of doing well in Europe from a football perspective. Only thirteen years ago we got to a UEFA Final; why not this year?

I really don’t know what to make of this ?

Of all days to come out with a negative post.

There are still areas needing improvement- proper competition for Kent for starters.
We also have a decent chance of progress in the UEL so adding a bit of quality if we can would be a sensible move.
It would also be a sign that we’re not simply sitting back watching them crumble and we see it as an opportunity to put our foot on their throat.
Get it done Rangers. This is our time!

It's quite possible we have secured pre-contracts and haven't announced as there's no rush to pay out and bring folk in early.

I wonder what happened with Alegria, we actually admitted interest in him weeks ago.

The League is won, save our money for some big signings in the summer and get into the CL group stages. Keep it going in the EL and hoover up some more cash.
WATP.
We won't make the same level of cash from Europe than we did the last 2 seasons. We've missed out on ticket sales and hospitality for 6 home games as it is then throw in Antwerp which will be game 7.

You just have to look at the last 2 January windows the only cash signing has been Kamara who Dundee were happy to let come early after we signed him on a pre contract every other signing has been a loan deal. We've already shown in the past with Jones once we had him wrapped up we wouldn't sign him due to fee Killie want so I'm guessing the same will happen with Wright. I think Wright will come in this window though as I think we will waive the fee on McCrorie as that will more than likely match the development fee they would be due for Wright.

We won't make the same level of cash from Europe than we did the last 2 seasons. We've missed out on ticket sales and hospitality for 6 home games as it is then throw in Antwerp which will be game 7.

You just have to look at the last 2 January windows the only cash signing has been Kamara who Dundee were happy to let come early after we signed him on a pre contract every other signing has been a loan deal. We've already shown in the past with Jones once we had him wrapped up we wouldn't sign him due to fee Killie want so I'm guessing the same will happen with Wright. I think Wright will come in this window though as I think we will waive the fee on McCrorie as that will more than likely match the development fee they would be due for Wright.
Weve got the insurance covering the losses ticket revenue. Unless the club utilise that money for a reduction in season ticket prices next season since we may still not get into Ibrox

A negative post saying that we could show ambition in Europe? Aren't you being more than a little ironic?

You “it's sad, because the Rangers I grew up with always had the hope of doing well in Europe”

when exactly did you grow up? What do you define as hope ? For me hope growing up was picking a dozen things from the catalogue for Christmas and hoping I got one.

we play in a Mickey Mouse league, any hope smaller nations had of sustained European success evaporated with the revamp of European competition to suit the bigger nations, we simply can’t financially attract top quality players to our league, essentially a two horse race, or our climate as other smaller nations like say Portugal can.

In my lifetime, in fact in the past 50 years Scottish teams have only reached 5 European finals, we are the only Club to have been in more than one of these. Only ourselves and Aberdeen have won a European trophy in these 50 years.

Prior to demotion to the lowest tier of Scottish football we had won one out of our previous 25 European ties.

I am not having a go I just have a more realistic outlook and can’t quantify the expectation levels of your hope.

You always have a go at Barker. It's pathetic.

there are a number of posters, who probably haven’t even seen him in the flesh who continually try to run down Barker for some strange reason. There seems to be a wee clique set off by one another, one posts they are all over it.

if they took a step back and looked at the games he has played in, or the fact the only game we have lost that he started was the dead rubber away to Leverkusen and the only other 2 he has came on as a sub when we were already 1 down, they may appreciate he is a team player that Gerrard trusts to do a job that maybe no one else can do. In the same way he utilised Ojo in big games.

Barker has started in wins away to Celtic, home win to Porto, away draw to Porto, came on as a sub in other Euro wins, Feyenoord, Lech Poznań home and away.

if people maybe realise it is a team game and more than ever under Gerrard, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Weve got the insurance covering the losses ticket revenue. Unless the club utilise that money for a reduction in season ticket prices next season since we may still not get into Ibrox
The insurance won't cover all of it. I think it's only going to be about £3m we get from the insurance.

We made about £12m in European ticket money alone last season.

I thought we might've trimmed the squad a bit tbh. Wouldn't mind seeing the likes of Stewart, Jones, Edmundson going on loan to SPL clubs to strengthen the other teams against the tims.
The bigger benefit to that now would be saving on wages as Celtic are done in the title race

Do we? Do you know, for sure, that our Business Interruption Policy ran into this season? What if it ran June to May each renewal, in line with the football season, for example?

We obviously have a decent relationship with the Insurers and they’ve made an initial payment. Officially that, and the fact we are in discussions about further payments, is all we know as far as I’m aware.

I think that's a mistake.

A few injuries in midfield at the same time and we have seen the difference it makes.

Basically have to pray we don't suffer too many injuries until the end of the season now.
We don't need to pray anything

You massively underestimate our position of strength

Amongst the more stupid expressions on FF.
Let that sink in!

More importantly, Barker probably wasn’t brought on to score the goals.
We’d already brought on two goalscoring strikers earlier in the game.
More likely, Barker was brought on to provide the chances that the mis-firing Ryan Kent was unable to provide on the day.
Up there with OGAAT, stamp down on Celtics throat and we need, we must, we cannot that are usually followed by things "we'd prefer not, but actually will be quite immaterial to the big picture".

“I don't think there will be much change in terms of incomings in January."

Gerrard on January transfer window 2020.

We signed Hagi in that window, hopefully something similar this time.
Save the money for when it can be better used in the summer

CM and Wright.
I think if there was still a live title race we would need to seriously think about a CM signing with Jack and Arfield injured.

However, looking at the big pictures; 2020-21 league title big picture, Rangers finance big picture, impact of covid on all industries, I think we should not

Jack will be back soon.

We have Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Zungu, Jack, Arfield (when fit) and in desperate situations Barjonas for CM.

It would be financial mis management to sign another one right now

Last edited:
However, looking at the big pictures; 2020-21 league title big picture, Rangers finance big picture, impact of covid on all industries, I think we should not

Jack will be back soon.

We have Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Zungu, Jack, Arfield (when fit) and in desperate situations Baron's for CM.

Not if we free up wages and get a pre contract in now.

You “it's sad, because the Rangers I grew up with always had the hope of doing well in Europe”

when exactly did you grow up? What do you define as hope ? For me hope growing up was picking a dozen things from the catalogue for Christmas and hoping I got one.

we play in a Mickey Mouse league, any hope smaller nations had of sustained European success evaporated with the revamp of European competition to suit the bigger nations, we simply can’t financially attract top quality players to our league, essentially a two horse race, or our climate as other smaller nations like say Portugal can.

In my lifetime, in fact in the past 50 years Scottish teams have only reached 5 European finals, we are the only Club to have been in more than one of these. Only ourselves and Aberdeen have won a European trophy in these 50 years.

Prior to demotion to the lowest tier of Scottish football we had won one out of our previous 25 European ties.

I am not having a go I just have a more realistic outlook and can’t quantify the expectation levels of your hope.
I agree with much of that, and strangely enough I think we're on the same page more than you realise. Hopefully we do well. The League is and always be the priority; with that in mind I thought I'd turn my attention to the EL.

Unless a player becomes available that would improve us greatly, there is no need to be actively looking at incomings. We have enough to get 55 over the line and would be best served keeping our cash to maybe add to an increased budget in the summer.

Being in Wright and save some cash this window. If we win the league and get Champions League our budget would change and quality of player we would need would have to be higher. So better to see the season out and reinforce in the summer

Not if we free up wages and get a pre contract in now.
Since Gerrard has been here he's brought in 1 pre contract player early and that was Kamara because Dundee were happy to accept £50k for him. Jones was signed up but we wouldn't pay the fee Killie wanted for him and by the sounds of it the same applies to Scott Wright. Freeing wages up doesn't mean a transfer fee is there to be spent either and in the last 2 January windows we haven't spent a transfer fee.

Given the club is still having issues financially we aren't going to pay over the odds for a player that we already have signed up to come in the summer if deals are already done.

I think if there was still a live title race we would need to seriously think about a CM signing with Jack and Arfield injured.

Jack will be back soon.

We have Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Zungu, Jack, Arfield (when fit) and in desperate situations Barjonas for CM.

If you think the league is won T, which I’d rather wait a few games on, WHY NOT start to plan for the CL Group stages ?

Back