Rangers face potential fixture chaos as SPFL sweat over Europa League dilemma

It's already bizarre when we have 4 games over the next 4 Wednesday's , add on both Braga games, and the Hamilton game after that, and we are playing 7 games midweek, in a row into March. Not taking into consideration any other fixture pile up.

I must admit I saw this coming a while back, always felt we could have gotten ahead of the game ourselves. As soon as we qualified out of our group, we should have requested playing our outstanding game last night, it would have only reduced the break for both clubs by 2 or 3 days and would have nipped this potential problem in the bud.

Schedule it for this Saturday. The fringe players and youths can take care of Stranraer, the youths have already beaten them this season.

Shorten it slightly.
Cup games could have been played earlier this week and back to league games this weekend.

Agree with this. A fortnight is enough and would have allowed another round of fixtures this midweek (although presumably they’d need to change the Scottish Cup TV deal to prevent a Friday night selection).

Alternatively the SPFL could stop continually assuming its clubs are going to be shite in Europe and actually be positive for a change, was the same issue with the farcical LC Semi scheduling last season where they had essentially hedged their bets that we’d be long gone from Europe by that point.

Replays are a right fuckin pain in the arse anyway. Extra time and penalties in the event of a draw and we wouldn't have this nonsense. We also wouldn't have had it had we not had an unnecessary three week break when it was extremely mild and barely rained.

Agree with this. A fortnight is enough and would have allowed another round of fixtures this midweek (although presumably they’d need to change the Scottish Cup TV deal to prevent a Friday night selection).

Alternatively the SPFL could stop continually assuming its clubs are going to be shite in Europe and actually be positive for a change, was the same issue with the farcical LC Semi scheduling last season where they had essentially hedged their bets that we’d be long gone from Europe by that point.
More like they had assumed Celtic would be in the CL so could play the Saturday.

Wouldn't it make sense to postpone match day 34 after the split to create an extra set of match days to play postponed matches and have the season finish a week later. It's not as if Scotland have a prayer of playing in the euros in June

Wouldn't it make sense to postpone match day 34 after the split to create an extra set of match days to play postponed matches and have the season finish a week later. It's not as if Scotland have a prayer of playing in the euros in June

Is part of the issue not that they can only do that if the game is between teams in either half of the stupid split anyway?

They need the games completed for MD33 to determine who is in what half of the league.

I cannot wait to see the end of the split.

However it pans out I’m sure all parties will bend over backwards to assist us.

When will Pete announce their tour of Japan?

See when we go a few points clear before the game is played , we can put out half a team in the hope that we can at least take a draw and play 4 games in a week , which is what they will make us do anyways. All caused by making us play on the Friday night v hibs , which I don’t care what anyone says was a deliberate ploy to potentially cause this scenario down the line and in theory keep the poets ahead of us
Feck me, that’s stretch!
So many variables still to happen.

Is part of the issue not that they can only do that if the game is between teams in either half of the stupid split anyway?

They need the games completed for MD33 to determine who is in what half of the league.

I cannot wait to see the end of the split.
That's why I say postpone matchday 34 so pre split games have another midweek and weekend to be played in. Seems like a straightforward solution

That's why I say postpone matchday 34 so pre split games have another midweek and weekend to be played in. Seems like a straightforward solution

Ah, sorry. With you now.

Is there a spare midweek to move the 34 to though? I'm not sure

Ah, sorry. With you now.

Is there a spare midweek to move the 34 to though? I'm not sure

Yes April 21st/22nd but that would arranging the fixtures at 3 days notice or the final matchday is played midweek as there is the play-offs to happen after it

Wish FIFA/UEFA would just scrap these international breaks in September, October and November.
Scrap that bloody UEFA Nations League too.

The clubs themselves wanted the International break in set periods so FIFA along the confederations worked a schedule of September, October, November March and June (not tournaments)

Before that it was only December and January that never had games in them well the European nations

Nations League just add extra games but not dates

Yes April 21st/22nd but that would arranging the fixtures at 3 days notice or the final matchday is played midweek as there is the play-offs to happen after it

Smack bang in the middle of our EL 1/4 and semi final ties though! ;)

I'm not saying we are going to reach the Europa final again, but what happens if we do, (or at least get past the 1/4 final)?

If there are no midweek dates available, how are the mongos at the SFA planning to accommodate this?

Same way as before. Make us play 5 games in 11 days (or whatever it was) because sporting integrity demands it, as do Celtic’s Japanese mass hallucinations.

If there is a risk of Hearts going bust, in contrast, the league will be stopped 4 days early.

If Celtic are in the UEFA cup position then the league will be held back for up to a month to let them recover (while the rest of us play the other games).

If both Celtic and us are involved in Europe then sporting integrity will apply again and we’ll have to play 5 games in 11 days. Celtic will have the same fixtures but it will be recognised that this is a ludicrous situation and international success should not disadvantage Scotland’s ‘champions’ so Celtic will just be awarded 2-0 victories in all the games without playing them.

Think it’s in one of the SPFL rule book appendices...

I'm sure the sporting integrity experts at the sfa will get together with their boss over at Saville Row to sort any problems out.

The winter break needs scrapped. Madness to make teams play the amount of games in december, then ask them to come back and play 6 matches in under 3 weeks right after the break, and potentially another batch of games in a short space of time if you do well in Europe. No respect for the players at all

The winter break needs scrapped. Madness to make teams play the amount of games in december, then ask them to come back and play 6 matches in under 3 weeks right after the break, and potentially another batch of games in a short space of time if you do well in Europe. No respect for the players at all

The winter break only has the impact after it not in December as you need to place 3 sets of fixtures elsewhere in the season

Why did they make us play Hibs on a Friday if this is the case
Ie, 1 game in a week we should have played 2

I guess with BT wishing to show on the Friday they craved in, original BT wanted it on the Monday 23rd December but Hibs declined it as they were playing on 26th at 12,30pm

Said it before and I'll say it again, a winter break in Scotland is absolute fucking nonsense.

Perhaps we should have inquired about having a game earlier this week, say on Tuesday. Not sure St.Johnstone would have been agreeable but worth asking given the potential problems.

This seems to be happening a lot these days.

Time to scrap the winter break?

Get rid of cup replays and take a round out the Scottish Cup for teams in Europe. There's no issues with fixtures after that.

The winter break is necessary for the players when they're only getting two weeks in the summer.

Back