Rangers fans make up majority of Scotland fans

When I was younger I supported Scotland, but now I celebrate when they lose.

The scotland team should be disbanded. There should be one team for the whole UK.

When I was younger I supported Scotland, but now I celebrate when they lose.

The scotland team should be disbanded. There should be one team for the whole UK.
So the England team with Bale, Ramsey and Robertson? I can't be arsed with Scotland these days either but in wouldn't support a hypothetical UK team unless it's the Olympics.

Is this an effort to try and mobilise the massive Rangers support into going to Scotland games again?? In fairness the Rangers support would make up the majority of Scotlands fans but I believe tens of thousands if not more are disengaged with Scotlands national side just now.

According to Clyde, official figures from registered Scotland supporters club fans

Roundabout the 20% mark, then everyone else filtering in behind.

Surprising
My first ever football match was wed night Scotland v Poland and was I was hooked on following Scotland.. Until Scotland v England Goughs header in pissing rain, after that I gave up and Iv no interest in how Scotland do anymore

I think that statistic is completely wrong. Personally I've never followed the national side and never will. I've followed Rangers all my life and no Rangers fan I know follows Scotland.

Can't understand Rangers fans not supporting Scotland tbh, no reason why they shouldn't. All the Rangers fans I know do.

I think that statistic is completely wrong. Personally I've never followed the national side and never will. I've followed Rangers all my life and no Rangers fan I know follows Scotland.

Really? No Rangers fan you know in all of the people you know like Scotland?

Either you are the staunchest person alive or you have no friends.

Haven’t been to a Scotland game since Turin in 1990. Vowed never to go back until the team played with the spirit of those teams in late seventies early/mid eighties. Still want Scotland to do well and believe it’s possible to be a patriot and a Rangers supporter.

Go to as many Scotland games as possible.

Won’t turn my back on them and let Timmy fill the void.

They’re playing the long game whilst we have temper tantrums and crying about some alleged booing (never heard a Rangers player booed at Hampden btw)

Man up ffs.

Go to as many Scotland games as possible.

Won’t turn my back on them and let Timmy fill the void.

They’re playing the long game whilst we have temper tantrums and crying about some alleged booing (never heard a Rangers player booed at Hampden btw)

Man up ffs.
Belgium 2-2 2001 plenty of shouts of hun bastards etc, stand up if hate England, Rangers etc "temper tantrums" behave yourself.....

Belgium 2-2 2001 plenty of shouts of hun bastards etc, stand up if hate England, Rangers etc "temper tantrums" behave yourself.....
See this is the pish that passes for truth on here.

I’ve just stated that I’ve never heard a Rangers player getting booed at Hampden, now we are digging out a game 18 years ago that you think some guys were shouting Hun bastard at Rangers players.

Youre the epitome of spitting the dummy out.

Tell you something, I hear any prick shouting abuse at a player we are there to support then I’ll be chinning them.

What was your reaction 18 years ago? Did they see your petted lip and stop in case you cried?

See this is the pish that passes for truth on here.

I’ve just stated that I’ve never heard a Rangers player getting booed at Hampden, now we are digging out a game 18 years ago that you think some guys were shouting Hun bastard at Rangers players.

Youre the epitome of spitting the dummy out.

Tell you something, I hear any prick shouting abuse at a player we are there to support then I’ll be chinning them.

What was your reaction 18 years ago? Did they see your petted lip and stop in case you cried?
Does the truth hurt? , were you there?, oh and stop trying to be the wee FF hardman,

Line up:
Scotland: Sullivan, Weir, Elliott, Hendry, Boyd, Burley, Ferguson, Lambert, Matteo, Hutchison, Dodds.

Subs: Douglas, Pressley, Holt, Johnston, Gallacher, Gemmill, Cameron.

So... on a night where 2 Rangers players are playing for Scotland, 1 of them scoring both Scotland goals, there’s “plenty” of shouts about Hun bastards.

I’m calling bullshit on this one, son.

Line up:
Scotland: Sullivan, Weir, Elliott, Hendry, Boyd, Burley, Ferguson, Lambert, Matteo, Hutchison, Dodds.

So... on a night where 2 Rangers players are playing for Scotland, 1 of them scoring both Scotland goals, there’s “plenty” of shouts about Hun bastards.

You can call it all you want wee man, but Like I said..... Were You There?

Line up:

I'll ask you again.... Were You There?

If it's more than any other team, yes it is.

It’s not.

For Rangers fans to be a majority, they would have to comprise more than 50% of the Scotland support.

Rangers fans are underrepresented in the Scotland support.

There was a time when Rangers fans arguably did make up more than half the Scotland support.

That began to change from the 70s onwards and accelerated during the Roxburgh/Brown era. The nature of the Scotland support is radically different from the 60s. It is clearly seen by many as an expression of Scottish nationalism.

I'll ask you again.... Were You There?
Aye okay Pinocchio, two can play at that game. Yes I was there, with my then girlfriend, Pamela Anderson. Saw this man from Ayrshire crying because some Aberdeen fan was calling Billy Dodds a hun because he only scored 2 goals that day. Plus he though it was 2001 when actually it was 2002 so he was really confused.

My best mate was in the Tartan Army and travelled all over with them.

He’s totally chucked it recently because of the obvious.

Rangers first then Scotland, always. As soon as we're back on top and getting more players in the squad I'll consider upping my interest. We probably need a lot more of a backroom presence if anything.

FF and the views of some of the self loathers on here do not necessary mirror our support as a whole. I love seeing Scotland do well as do many, many more Rangers fans.

Just pants we are gash. :)) :(
Not sure I see the need to use terms like self loathes. It could be argued that someone who enjoys watching a team where the manager hates you, the fans sing shit about you and generally hate you, they boo your favourite players and hate them is susceptible to a bit of self loathing themselves.

That’s bollocks

I despise the SFA but I think that's right, the Rangers support is so much greater than the rest that if even a small number of our fans still follow Scotland it will make a large proportion of the Scotland support - btw it used to be about 75% IMO. I remember supporter's buses doubling as Scotland buses for midweek international.

Was on the train going into Glasgow yesterday.
Couple of middle aged Scotland fans with the kilts , fitba socks and timberland boots.
With the hats and one had like grouse feathers sticking out the hat about a foot and half in length.
What a riot they looked.
Worth a watching imo.

Don’t forget the actual number of rangers fans that exist dwarfs that of the likes of Aberdeen, Killie, Hibs etc.

So even if the tiniest fraction of rangers fans sign up to the tranny army in comparison to a big fraction of Aberdeen or Killie - we’d still likely have higher numbers.
Yep 3000 of our support about 1 in 15 of our match day support , it actually highlights how little of our overall support , supports the national team .

Maybe back in the 70’s.Doubt it very much now
Just because we are by far the biggest single club support in the country and the majority are Scottish by birth, the lazy assumption is we lend the most support to the national team. Whereas it was certainly true of the past, I'd doubt that bears out in a breakdown of the average Hampden attendances but you never know, maybe we still do. Maybe I'm being coloured by my own prejudices against the SFA but by son and his teenage mates happily go along when they can, and they are all Bears.

Couple of middle aged Scotland fans with the kilts , fitba socks and timberland boots.
With the hats and one had like grouse feathers sticking out the hat about a foot and half in length.
What a riot they looked.
Worth a watching imo.
Dress in all its forms is a form of visual art. If it gets a reaction whether positive or negative it has done its job. Like it or not, you've just justified their choice of clothing :))

Used to be nearer 40% around the turn of the millennium

And that was it having already decreased over the years prior to then as well

You’d imagine the Rangers support made up a majority of the Scotland support in the days of the old Hampden and before the SFA started running Scottish football like primary headmasters

Definitely. I used to go to a Scotland games in the 80’s and early 90’s and met lots of Rangers fans (the subject always comes up lol). I never met a single bheast fan.

Put me in the bracket also, because I don't know one either.....

If you really don't know one Rangers supporter who wants the national team to win then you must live in a fucking village by yourself :)) I live in Glasgow and I would say the vast majority of Rangers supporters I know of course want Scotland to win while having no love for the SFA.

It's only really online do I see opinions like yours to be honest.

This idea that the Tartan Army or the SFA equals Scotland is the football equivalent of SNP equals Scotland. The Rangers fans who used to follow the National Team stopped doing so because it was dross, especially compared to the great Rangers teams we had back in the day. This led to Hampden being populated by fans of much smaller clubs who saw a visit to Glasgow and a big crowd as their taste of the "big time". That is why the "Tartan Army" is now made up of non Rangers men although there is a bus leaves for all Scotland games from a pub that I frequent and is also where a Rangers bus leaves from.
This situation has been caused mainly by Rangers supporters allowing it to happen. Allowing our country to be hijacked, and I include myself in that, but I will never want them to get beaten. (Unless I have a bet)

According to Clyde, official figures from registered Scotland supporters club fans

Roundabout the 20% mark, then everyone else filtering in behind.

Surprising
Dodgy headline. 20% is not a " majority " of scotland fans. It is one in five. Rangers fans are the largest group of supporters, no where near a majority ( unlike in the seventies and eighties. )

If you really don't know one Rangers supporter who wants the national team to win then you must live in a fucking village by yourself :)) I live in Glasgow and I would say the vast majority of Rangers supporters I know of course want Scotland to win while having no love for the SFA.

It's only really online do I see opinions like yours to be honest.
While I wouldn't say I don't want them to win I would say that I have no interest in The SFA team anymore. I have no idea most of the time who they are playing and how they are doing. Shame as they used to be a big part of my life.

What a riot they looked.
Worth a watching imo.

I saw a few fitting that description too.

It’s just self-parody now.

Last time I attended a Scotland game was in 1988 I’m sure and I remember Richard Gough getting injured and a man sitting directly behind me exclaiming that he hoped Gough would be ok for Saturday. And that this statement was certainly well received by the folks round us. Back then Rangers fans were definitely the majority. Sadly with the forced demise of our club; a rangers hating fever has engulfed Scotland.
We as Rangers fan should be proud of our Scottish and British roots. Don’t let the nats claim the national team is theirs and theirs only. It is our Country and also our national team. As Rangers grow stronger, the national team will grow stronger. And Rangers fans will reclaim the national team and its support from the nobodies and irrelevant
This 100%. I’m shocked at the “big boy did it and ran away” attitude on here. Scotland is our team as much as anyone else’s. Ask Walter Smith and Ally McCoist.

Back