Rangers FC: Season 1975/76

Beer Belly Loyal

Three months on from the joy of securing the League Title the previous season, Rangers fans were optimistic of more success in the new campaign.
9th August: The League Cup kicked the season off. First round games consisting of nine Groups of four teams playing each other home and away with only the Group winners contesting the Quarter-finals. The winners of Group 7 and Group 9 would have to play a 'Supplementary Round' against each other to determine who joined the other seven group winners to make up the last eight.
All ties would be played over 3 weeks (August 9th to 27th). Rangers were joined in Group 1 by Motherwell, Airdrionians and Clyde.
The opening game against Airdrie at Ibrox attracted a crowd of 45,000 as Rangers ran out comfortable 6-1 winners, Sandy Jardine grabbed a hat-trick which included TWO penalties, other scorers were Colin Stein, Derek Parlane and another penalty from Alex Miller, Airdrie's consolation also came from the spot.
Wins at Airdrie 2-1 along with Clyde home (6-0) and away (1-0) secured qualification despite draws of 1-1 (Ibrox) and 2-2 away to Motherwell who had earlier lost to Airdrieonians.

League reconstruction was in place. Now there were only 10 clubs competing in the top league instead of 18. Re-named the 'Premier League Championship', the idea was for each team to meet each other four times (2 home, 2 away) giving each team a total of 36 games. The winners would qualify for the 1976/77 European Cup, 2nd & 3rd the UEFA Cup, with the bottom two relegated (1/5th of the competing clubs)

30th August: Rangers began their title defence at Ibrox against a Celtic side who had also successfully qualified from a group which included Hearts, Aberdeen & Dumbarton. The occasion of unfurling the League flag took place before kick-off, Willie Waddell's wife Hilda performing the ceremony, the perfect build up before an Ibrox crowd of 69,000, but only after a storm of protest from angry Celtic fans and certain 'authorities' who feared trouble at the game.

Dalglish, so often the scourge of Rangers put his side ahead 3 minutes before the break, eleven minutes into the second half Quinton Young from the left wing swung over a cross which reached Derek Johnstone standing centre of the field 25 yards out from goal, his first time right shot flew past the keeper and found the top right corner 1-1! Ten minutes later Rangers were reduced to 10 men when referee Foote sent Alex MacDonald to the stand for a foul. Just two minutes after this setback Rangers sensationally went ahead. Peter McCloy, famous for his big kick-outs reaching the opposition penalty area, launched one of his howitzers to find Young on the right side, he controlled the ball then turned McCluskey inside out on the edge of the box before unleashing a powerful shot with his left foot high into the the net - 2-1! A shell-shocked Celtic made changes which inspired a rally against the 10-man Rangers team but Gers Keeper Peter McCloy kept them at bay with some vital saves.

A fine start for Jock Wallace's men who continued through September unbeaten, winning three, drawing two of their five league games and also enjoying a 3-2 aggregate win over League Cup Quarter-final opponents Q.O.S. This was followed up with a 5-1 demolition of surprise cup hopefuls Montrose at Hampden to reach the Final. The European Cup had paired the Ibrox side with Bohemians of Eire as First Round opponents, Rangers progressed to the Second Round 5-2 on aggregate.

Premier League Top Two:
Rangers....6 4 2 0 8 2 10
Celtic........6 4 1 1 13 6 9

The month of October was a mixed bag indeed. Aberdeen were beaten 1-0 thanks to 21 year old Ian McDougall's first half strike followed by three back-to-back defeats to Ayr United (0-3) and Motherwell (1-2) in the league, then a European Cup 2-0 loss to French Champions St Etienne, not exactly good for confidence going into the League Cup Final at Hampden three days later.

Holders Celtic stood in our way for the first silverware of the season. They were on form, now a point clear at the top with a game in hand, unbeaten since their Ibrox loss in August, playing 11 times, winning 10, drawing the other.

25th October: A crowd of 58,000 turned up for the occasion, both sides found it difficult to break the other down, Tom Forsyth marked Dalglish out of the match. Then on 67 minutes Edvaldsson headed a dangerous Parlane cross in the general direction of Quinton Young. Young stretched for the ball and headed back across goal, Alex MacDonald dived forward to head strongly past Latchford into the net. 1-0 Rangers! No more goals were scored, John Grieg lifted the Trophy for the first time as captain. Jock Wallace was jubilant!

One week on, 1st November: Celtic are again the opponents, this time at their run-down decrepit Parkhead ground. The popular chant from the Rangers fans "Parkheed's a Piggery! - Parkheed's a Piggery!" echoed loudly around the ground.
Victory for the Ibrox men would put them back on top of the table. The game flowed from end to end with few chances until 15 minutes from time Rangers broke the deadlock, it was comedy gold at its finest. Lynch rolled a free-kick to Callaghan on the half-way line, Tommy McLean anticipated and nipped in to steal possession, a pin point pass cut through the Celtic rearguard sending Derek Parlane one on one with the advancing keeper, Parlane rounded then simply rolled the ball into an empty net...0-1 Rangers. Three minutes later Wilson rescued a point, the match ended all square. Celtic stayed top, Rangers fans weren't too bothered as they taunted the Celtic fans with their heroes cup win the previous week.

During the month of November Rangers suffered a 2nd Round European exit at the hands of St Etienne (1-4 on aggregate), two more defeats in the league to Hearts at home and Hibs away was slightly tempered by Celtic going down to both the Dundee clubs away and at home to Motherwell. This enabled Hibernian to occupy top spot for a change.

Top 29th November:
Hibernian..13 7 4 2 23 15 18
Rangers.....14 7 3 4 23 15 17
Celtic........13 7 2 4 29 16 16

December didn't start too well either for the Champions, a trip to Pittodrie ended with the long journey home without a point, Drew Jarvie scoring the only goal of the game 6 minutes from time. Ibrox wins v Ayr Utd (3-0) and Motherwell (3-2) before another dropped point at Dundee Utd (0-0) saw out the year.

Table top before 'The Bells'
Celtic........18 11 3 4 37 21 25
Rangers....18 9 4 5 29 18 22

Part two follows...

Part Two.

1st January 1976: New Years Day and it's off to the match we go, 58,000 turn up in soaking conditions for the intensely awaited match of the day - Rangers v Celtic.
Victory was a must, defeat not an option. Rangers started well with patient build up and clever play, what was to be the winner came after half an hour, a free kick 30 yards out, Tommy McLean finds the head of Derek Johnstone who was being man-marked by Dixie Deans - No contest! Johnstone out-jumps easily and nods past the flailing Latchford in goal - 1-0 to Rangers! One point now separated the teams.
Three more League games before the Scottish Cup begins, points are banked v Hearts 2-1, St Johnstone 4-0 and Hibs 2-0, Celtic's 3-3 draw with Dundee at Parkhead meant Rangers had not only drawn level on points, but had edged ahead with a goal diff of +19 to +18.

24th January: Scottish Cup Third Round begins. Winners of the competition gain entry to the 1976/77 UEFA Cup, in the event of one club winning both the League and Cup double the runners-up would be awarded the European place.
Rangers hosted East Fife in front of a crowd of 30,000. Goals from Alex MacDonald, Martin Henderson and Johnny Hamilton safely see Rangers through to the next round. The pocket sized transistor radio was 1970's answer to today's mobile phone. An ever loudening cheer became apparent late into the match when news filtered through the terracing's of a Cup goal at Fir Park, the home side had dragged themselves in front against Celtic 3-2, coming back from 0-2 down at the break, the biggest roar of the day was reserved for when the Stadium announcer confirmed the full-time whistle. It would have been at this moment the Rangers fans truly believed the Treble was on!

31st January: It's Back to League business. While Dundee are holding Rangers 1-1 at Dens Park, Celtic were disposing of Dundee Utd (2-1) to return to top spot by a single point.
February is a good month for Rangers, a 2-1 win at Ibrox v Aberdeen in the League on the 7th, was followed up a week later on the 14th with another Ibrox victory against them, this time in the Scottish Cup 4-1. February was completed with 1-0 away wins at Ayr Utd, McKean the match winner, and Motherwell where a Johnstone strike after MacDonald's shot rebounds from the keeper sealed the points. The month was good for Celtic also - three League victories without conceding a goal.

Table top 28th February:
Celtic........26 17 4 5 56 30 38
Rangers....26 16 5 5 43 21 37

Rangers next League game is back to Parkhead again 13th March for the fourth and final meeting of the season against their bitter rivals, however, before that there's a Scottish Cup 5th Round tie to be taken care of at Palmerston Park, home of First Division side Queen of the South.

6th March: The Doonhamers are shown no mercy, Rangers showing true form with all guns blazing came away 5-0 winners with goals from McKean(2) Johnstone(2) and Henderson ensuring there would be no fairy-tale upsets with Jock Wallace in charge.

13th March: The scheduled Celtic v Rangers match was postponed after Celtic applied to League chiefs to have it called off citing a 'flu epidemic'. A signed document from the club doctor hand delivered in person by Acting Manager Sean Fallon was rubber stamped. Views circulating around pubs and clubs at the time were that Celtic were running scared of Rangers because of INJURIES suffered to key players at the time, most notably forwards Dixie Deans and Bobby Lennox. The flu epidemic excuse was just that, an excuse according to most. Rangers had no option other than to accept the ruling.
This 'distraction' had no effect on the Rangers juggernaut whatsoever, consistency continued with goals from Johnstone, Greig & McLean v Hearts (3-1) at Ibrox and at St Johnstone (3-0) - Greig & Johnstone (2) to keep the momentum going in the title race before a Scottish Cup Semi-final meeting with Celtic conquerers Motherwell.

31st March: Hampden Park. Motherwell shock Rangers by taking a 2-0 lead into the break with goals from McLaren & Pettigrew, Treble hopes were in grave danger as the game moved past the hour mark. Rangers were huffing and puffing and making little impression until fortune struck in the 69th minute.
That man Peter McCloy released one of his 'specials' sending the ball deep into the Motherwell half, Derek Johnstone chased after it, the 'Well keeper rushed from his goal line only to catch Johnstone as he controlled McCloys 'missile' - Foul..ref points to the spot! Alex Miller steps forward...Goal 1-2!
11 minutes later, McCloy lumped another mighty kick up the park, one bounce on the Hampden turf found Johnstone's head - Goal 2-2! With just two minutes of time remaining John Greig took a free kick from just inside his own half and drifted it toward the Motherwell goal, Johnstone met the ball to tap home - 3-2! Rangers were in the Scottish Cup Final. 'Route 1 football' had won the day!

It was now time to turn attention back to League business again.
3rd April: Hibs 0 Rangers 3, MacDonald, Henderson & Johnstone with the goals. Celtic scraped past a St Johnstone side 1-0 who sat bottom with just 7 points and already officially relegated.
10th April: Seven games to go. Rangers see off Dundee at Ibrox 3-0 (McKean, Greig, Johnstone) job done as Celtic crumble to a shock 3-2 defeat at Tannadice. Transistors transmit the news to joyous fans. Rangers are back in pole position.

Table:
Rangers....30 20 5 5 55 22 45 +33
Celtic........30 20 4 6 64 33 44 +31

Part three follows...

Part Three.

Battling against joining St Johnstone in relegation, Aberdeen now held the key to the Title.

14th April: Rangers travel to Pittodrie for a re-arranged fixture due to Scottish Cup commitments. The match finished all square, a dour 0-0 draw. Davie Robb was sent off near the end.
Three days later the Dons now go to Parkhead in desperate need of points. At half time the score stood 1-1. A minute into the second half referee Gordon controversially sent Willie Miller off then later disallowed an Aberdeen goal for a foul. The 10 men held on for a point, a crucial point as it turned out, come the end of the campaign Aberdeen escaped relegation on Goal Difference.
Over at Ibrox Rangers were beating Ayr United 2-1 coming from behind with goals from Alex MacDonald and substitute Derek Parlane.

21st April: Rangers host Motherwell, Celtic are away to Hibs. Transistor radios are the order of the day, eyes are on the game, ears to the radio. 22 minutes into the game news comes through - Hibs 1 Celtic 0, the crowd burst into song "We're gonna win the League" Rangers get a lift from this and almost immediately go 1-0 up themselves, McLean the scorer. H-T 1-0. Second half, Gregor Stevens equalises to put the pressure back on. An hour into the game, more news from Easter Road, Hibs are awarded a penalty! After a delay of what seemed an age an almighty roar spread across the Stadium, Hibs 2-0 now.
Party mood all around Ibrox as Martin Henderson strikes to make it 2-1, slamming home the winner 13 minutes from time. Full time, Rangers now require just four points from three games to be crowned Champions.

Table:
Rangers....33 22 6 5 59 23 50
Celtic........32 20 5 7 65 36 45

24th April: Rangers Champions! The Title was clinched at Tannadice Park. With Celtic losing again (going down 1-2 to Ayr United at home), the Champions took full advantage. A goal by Derek Johnstone clocked at just 22 seconds from kick-off sealed the points in a 1-0 victory. Celebrations as you would expect went on long into the evening.

Before Rangers could be allowed to prepare for the Scottish Cup Final, the postponed game from March 13th against Flu Epidemic FC was next up. The Rangers players weren't given a Guard of Honour or even an applause by the opposition players before the match. After the game which ended goalless, Parkhead Acting Manager Sean Fallon was asked why their players wouldn't recognise Rangers Championship win, his reply - "We offered to applaud them on to the field but this was vetoed by the Police" Police neither confirmed nor denied if this actually was the case, knowing the history of Celtic, it was highly dubious at best.

1st May 1976: Scottish Cup Final - Heart of Midlothian stood in the way of Rangers first Treble for 12 years. Hearts had made heavy weather in reaching the Final after replays in EVERY round played, in the Fifth Round they needed TWO replays to get past Montrose. In all it had taken 8 matches (all against lower league sides) to reach Hampden where in contrast Rangers only required 4 games.

The previous week it had taken Johnstone just 22 seconds to get on the scoresheet, this week it took him a little longer - 42 seconds! Tommy McLean, the master of free-kicks, from 40 yards out, floated the ball onto Johnstone's head, Derek towered above the Hearts defence to head firmly into the net - 1-0!
Right on half-time Alex MacDonald smashed a 25 yard shot in off the keepers left hand post following a Bobby McKean corner - 2-0! Nine minutes from time Bobby McKean twisted and turned on the right wing beating the Hearts defender to send in a low cross, Johnstone with a fine right foot finish made it three - game over! Shaw scored a late consolation soon after. Final score 3-1!
At the final whistle Manager Jock Wallace entered the field to congratulate every single Rangers player before captain John Greig went up to lift the trophy, the Treble of League Cup, Premier League and Scottish Cup was now complete!

4th May: Rangers last game of the season was a league match against Dundee Utd attended by 50,000. This time Rangers were given respect and were applauded onto the park by the opposition as the players emerged from the tunnel. The match finished 0-0. Afterwards, the Treble of Scottish League, Scottish Cup & League Cup trophies were shown by Jock Wallace and his victorious squad to the ecstatic Rangers fans. A marvellous end to season 1975-76.

Final League Table top
Rangers....36 23 8 5 60 24 54
Celtic........36 21 6 9 71 42 48

Full record (all competitions)
Pld..W...D...L...F...A

WATP!

Fantastic reading mate , cheers. Just what is needed when your stuck at home ;)

75-76 season was the first that I was allowed to go to the games with my mates and I remember many of these results.

Doesn't seem like 42 years ago !!!!!!!

Some real unsung heroes that season.

Johnny Hamilton in midfield.
Martin Henderson up front keeping Derek Parlane out.
Alex Miller at right back keeping Sandy Jardine out.

But the main man was our player of the 70s, Derek Johnstone.
Scored for fun, but I remember a midweek game at Parkhead near the end of the season when he got put back into midfield in an emergency. He strolled it and was man of the match.

Last edited:
great read was at most games, the one v motherwell where hibs beat them the same day and the realisation we were going to win it, memories cheers

Wonderful read. The SCF was one of my earliest cup finals.

I remember being jammed into the North Enclosure like sardines.

Huge crowd that day, although I think they reported it as only 85,000. I've always believed it was more than that. We were rammed in.

Anyway, some wonderful memories

Great memories thanks for posting Beer Belly loyal.

One of my favourite seasons the league cup final was the first trophy I saw us winning in the flesh.

Was also lucky to be at Tannadice when we clinched the league and at Hampden for the SC final .

some great memories from that season
DJ wins the league
34eorrb.jpg

last game against Utd at Ibrox, 0-0 that night and Dundee were relegated
2hqfqlx.jpg

iw23rn.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful read. The SCF was one of my earliest cup finals.

I remember being jammed into the North Enclosure like sardines.

Huge crowd that day, although I think they reported it as only 85,000. I've always believed it was more than that. We were rammed in.

Anyway, some wonderful memories

My memory of that was of many Bears having no ticket for the game, me and my mate were in the same boat. Some started climbing the perimeter wall (an old wooden exit gate) Me and my mate stood staring at these guys climbing in looking at each other wondering if we should try it. Next thing the wooden doors opened (I'm sure it was the polis who opened them) hundreds upon hundreds of the People piled in that way including me and the mate obviously. Our end, as you say, was jammed. Thousands I reckon must have got through that old wooden gate. What a day!

My memory of that was of many Bears having no ticket for the game, me and my mate were in the same boat. Some started climbing the perimeter wall (an old wooden exit gate) Me and my mate stood staring at these guys climbing in looking at each other wondering if we should try it. Next thing the wooden doors opened (I'm sure it was the polis who opened them) hundreds upon hundreds of the People piled in that way including me and the mate obviously. Our end, as you say, was jammed. Thousands I reckon must have got through that old wooden gate. What a day!

IIRC was that final not pay at the gate? I don't think they were expecting as many to turn up and that's what created the problems outside.

I missed the first goal was still in the queue

I had just done the double shuffle at the turnstiles and was walking up the stairs when the gate open and hundreds poured in
well over 90K at Hampden that day, settled in on the terracing just before 3pm and just in time to see DJ open the scoring. huge Rangers support that day
Rangers end seemed to spend most of the game singing UD@ all the way with scarfs held aloft.:cool:

IIRC was that final not pay at the gate? I don't think they were expecting as many to turn up and that's what created the problems outside.

I missed the first goal was still in the queue
Ah right. Thinking back now.

Yes, I think you're correct, it was pay at the gate and the turnstiles had been closed because of the crowd limit. That's when desperate fans wanting to see the game started to scale the walls, makes sense that the polis just said "Ah f*ck it...open the gates, WE'LL miss the game too standing here" :p.

My dad took me to that cup final and I'm sure he paid at the gate. We got there a good 45 minutes before kick off and there were queues at all the turnstiles.

Was in the away end, but the majority in there were bears. A few boxing matches with the Jambos but they were as well beaten on the terraces as they were on the pitch. I think the official attendance was 85,000 (could be wrong) but as others have said, it was way more than that. The whole ground was heaving.

absolutely superb post

13th March: The scheduled Celtic v Rangers match was postponed after Celtic applied to League chiefs to have it called off citing a 'flu epidemic'.

nothing much changes does it?

remember we were refused similar treatment in walter's first time in charge

absolute scum run football in this country

Three months on from the joy of securing the League Title the previous season, Rangers fans were optimistic of more success in the new campaign.

Reelin in the years right enough.

August, - at Fir Park in the LC, Jardine scored a truly class goal, one a forward would have been proud of, far less a full back.

November, - I'm sure a reserve called George Boyd made his first team debut against Hearts at Ibrox.

March, - the manager of QotS, was an ex yahoo called Mike Jackson, who had been boasting since the draw had been made about what his team were going to do to Rangers. Jackson's only clain to fame in a sellik top was that both he and Paddy Crerand were sent off at Falkirk in a 5-a-sides tournament.

As for the yahoo flu epidemic, compare and contrast with the authorities reaction 21 years later when Rangers submitted 28 doctor's lines for similar and were still made to play. Mind you, if an ex yahoo had snuffed it in the run up to the match, the flu epidemic would have mattered not a jot.

April, - Wee McLean missed a sitter at the Rangers end, and I'm sure the rabid Romanist that was Burns made his OF debut.

May, - The official attendance at the final was given as 85,250, but as gates were crashed in at the Kings Park end, some commentators on Rangers, especially the Rangers Historian, Robert McElroy, have no doubt over 100,000 were crammed in that day. So it's very, very likely this was the last six figure crowd in Scotland.

My off beat look at certain instances during that fine, fine season.

Think your debutant in November was Gordon Boyd from Barrhead.

He played with and against my old man at school and district level.

Like so many before and after him, he was an absolute stand out as a kid, but couldn't maintain his development as he got older.

[QUOTE="wee bud's pit boots, post: 991235, member:

Edit . Double post.

Ah right. Thinking back now.

Yes, I think you're correct, it was pay at the gate and the turnstiles had been closed because of the crowd limit. That's when desperate fans wanting to see the game started to scale the walls, makes sense that the polis just said "Ah f*ck it...open the gates, WE'LL miss the game too standing here" :p.

My old man still has his ticket from that game as it fell on his birthday.

It's for the Rangers end.

Was it possibly just the East terracing that was pay at the gate?

I have a few (!) questions:

1. What was the mentality of the Rangers fans in the early seventies? Did it seem as though Celtic would win the league every year or were our fans fully confident that our time would come again very soon?

2. How did Aberdeen decline so badly? I never knew that they avoided relegation by a bawhair in 1976.

3. Was Jock Wallace’s Rangers team seen as worthy champions by neutrals/journalists?

4. How much had Celtic declined under Sean Fallon? I know nothing about him, just that he took over after Stein’s car crash. Was he hopeless? Clever? I assume he was a prick, based on the postponed Old Firm game.

5. Jumping the gun a bit here but how did we not win the league in 1976/77? It looks mad that we won two trebles either side of a barren season. Was it the old cliché ‘a season of transition’, or did Rangers blow it? Or were Celtic genuinely the best side?

Great read brings back so many memories. Big DJ scored the first goal in the cup final at 2:59pm as for some reason the game started before 3pm. On the Sunday he wandered down Edmiston Drive with the 3 trophies to the Wee 'Gers Club and everyone in that day had a sip of champagne or whisky out of them

1. What was the mentality of the Rangers fans in the early seventies? Did it seem as though Celtic would win the league every year or were our fans fully confident that our time would come again very soon?

2. How did Aberdeen decline so badly? I never knew that they avoided relegation by a bawhair in 1976.

3. Was Jock Wallace’s Rangers team seen as worthy champions by neutrals/journalists?

4. How much had Celtic declined under Sean Fallon? I know nothing about him, just that he took over after Stein’s car crash. Was he hopeless? Clever? I assume he was a prick, based on the postponed Old Firm game.

5. Jumping the gun a bit here but how did we not win the league in 1976/77? It looks mad that we won two trebles either side of a barren season. Was it the old cliché ‘a season of transition’, or did Rangers blow it? Or were Celtic genuinely the best side?

Can only give you my opinion , and even at that it was of a 14 year old at the time .

1/. We struggled the first couple of years in the league but obviously the 1972 ECWC win gave us a bit of confidence which carried on the following season where the league went down to the final game . There was a confidence in the team that we would actually win the league that season and no surprise we beat them in the Scottish Cup Final .
The 1973/74 season was a disappointment , but in 1974/75 there was a feeling amongst the fans , fairly early that this would be our year . And it was . From then on for the rest of the 70's we were confident of winning anything , though it didn't always happen .

2/ . Don't know , though much like in recent times they seemed to lift their game against us .

3/ . Yes . A different calibre of journalist back then . We went on a great run from the beginning of December, undefeated and playing some great stuff , so it was thoroughly deserved .

4/. Don't think much tbh . The tide had turned a few seasons earlier and I don't see that a factor .

5/. Just one of those things I suppose . Maybe we were going stale , but Jock Wallace addressed that by bringing in Cooper , Smith and Bobby Russell for the treble winning side of 1977/78 where again we played some superb stuff .

Think your debutant in November was Gordon Boyd from Barrhead.

He played with and against my old man at school and district level.

Like so many before and after him, he was an absolute stand out as a kid, but couldn't maintain his development as he got older.

Remember seeing Gordon Boyd in a reserve game against c....c where he was an absolute stand out in a 6-1 win . Iirc , that game v Hearts was his only one for us . Pity because he looked superb in that game .

Part Three.

Battling against joining St Johnstone in relegation, Aberdeen now held the key to the Title.

14th April: Rangers travel to Pittodrie for a re-arranged fixture due to Scottish Cup commitments. The match finished all square, a dour 0-0 draw. Davie Robb was sent off near the end.
Three days later the Dons now go to Parkhead in desperate need of points. At half time the score stood 1-1. A minute into the second half referee Gordon controversially sent Willie Miller off then later disallowed an Aberdeen goal for a foul. The 10 men held on for a point, a crucial point as it turned out, come the end of the campaign Aberdeen escaped relegation on Goal Difference.
Over at Ibrox Rangers were beating Ayr United 2-1 coming from behind with goals from Alex MacDonald and substitute Derek Parlane.

21st April: Rangers host Motherwell, Celtic are away to Hibs. Transistor radios are the order of the day, eyes are on the game, ears to the radio. 22 minutes into the game news comes through - Hibs 1 Celtic 0, the crowd burst into song "We're gonna win the League" Rangers get a lift from this and almost immediately go 1-0 up themselves, McLean the scorer. H-T 1-0. Second half, Gregor Stevens equalises to put the pressure back on. An hour into the game, more news from Easter Road, Hibs are awarded a penalty! After a delay of what seemed an age an almighty roar spread across the Stadium, Hibs 2-0 now.
Party mood all around Ibrox as Martin Henderson strikes to make it 2-1, slamming home the winner 13 minutes from time. Full time, Rangers now require just four points from three games to be crowned Champions.

Table:
Rangers....33 22 6 5 59 23 50
Celtic........32 20 5 7 65 36 45

24th April: Rangers Champions! The Title was clinched at Tannadice Park. With Celtic losing again (going down 1-2 to Ayr United at home), the Champions took full advantage. A goal by Derek Johnstone clocked at just 22 seconds from kick-off sealed the points in a 1-0 victory. Celebrations as you would expect went on long into the evening.

Before Rangers could be allowed to prepare for the Scottish Cup Final, the postponed game from March 13th against Flu Epidemic FC was next up. The Rangers players weren't given a Guard of Honour or even an applause by the opposition players before the match. After the game which ended goalless, Parkhead Acting Manager Sean Fallon was asked why their players wouldn't recognise Rangers Championship win, his reply - "We offered to applaud them on to the field but this was vetoed by the Police" Police neither confirmed nor denied if this actually was the case, knowing the history of Celtic, it was highly dubious at best.

1st May 1976: Scottish Cup Final - Heart of Midlothian stood in the way of Rangers first Treble for 12 years. Hearts had made heavy weather in reaching the Final after replays in EVERY round played, in the Fifth Round they needed TWO replays to get past Montrose. In all it had taken 8 matches (all against lower league sides) to reach Hampden where in contrast Rangers only required 4 games.

The previous week it had taken Johnstone just 22 seconds to get on the scoresheet, this week it took him a little longer - 42 seconds! Tommy McLean, the master of free-kicks, from 40 yards out, floated the ball onto Johnstone's head, Derek towered above the Hearts defence to head firmly into the net - 1-0!
Right on half-time Alex MacDonald smashed a 25 yard shot in off the keepers left hand post following a Bobby McKean corner - 2-0! Nine minutes from time Bobby McKean twisted and turned on the right wing beating the Hearts defender to send in a low cross, Johnstone with a fine right foot finish made it three - game over! Shaw scored a late consolation soon after. Final score 3-1!
At the final whistle Manager Jock Wallace entered the field to congratulate every single Rangers player before captain John Greig went up to lift the trophy, the Treble of League Cup, Premier League and Scottish Cup was now complete!

4th May: Rangers last game of the season was a league match against Dundee Utd attended by 50,000. This time Rangers were given respect and were applauded onto the park by the opposition as the players emerged from the tunnel. The match finished 0-0. Afterwards, the Treble of Scottish League, Scottish Cup & League Cup trophies were shown by Jock Wallace and his victorious squad to the ecstatic Rangers fans. A marvellous end to season 1975-76.

Final League Table top
Rangers....36 23 8 5 60 24 54
Celtic........36 21 6 9 71 42 48

Full record (all competitions)
Pld..W...D...L...F...A

WATP!
Never missed a single game that season , thanks for rekindled memories

My old man still has his ticket from that game as it fell on his birthday.

It's for the Rangers end.

Was it possibly just the East terracing that was pay at the gate?

I was in the North enclosure I'm sure I paid at the gate after trying and failing to get in to the Rangers end.

Did your old man have a season ticket at that time they may have been given tickets for Section A for example?

I could be totally wrong though as it was over 40 years ago.:D

I was in the North enclosure I'm sure I paid at the gate after trying and failing to get in to the Rangers end.

Did your old man have a season ticket at that time they may have been given tickets for Section A for example?

I could be totally wrong though as it was over 40 years ago.:D

No mate he never had a season back then.

Maybe it was just the stand and Gers end that was all ticket.

I was a youngster when the 70's kicked in and never really held out much hope of being champions,bearing in mind I was 3yo when they won the first of their 9,it was all I'd known. We always seemed to have horrendous starts to the league campaign. I thought after Barcelona that we'd kick on,but another stuttering start cost us dearly that year. The following season was poor and we finished 3rd behind Hibs.
There was definitely "a feeling" early on in 74/75 that we could stop the 10...I remember thinking after we beat Kilmarnock 6-0 or 6-1 at Rugby Park that it'd be our season and so it proved.

Aberdeen were very inconsistent in the mid 70's but were always a tough game for us. They had a very good side early in the decade and of course came on strong at the end of the 70's.

Sports journalism wasn't dominated by poetothy back then but serial Rangers haters were still around in Archer and McNee and the "why won't Rangers sign a pape" campaign was in full swing during the mid to late 70's. Our superior fitness was actually used as a stick with which to beat us,as in we only won anything because we were fitter rather than better.

Sean Fallon was no Stein,some may see that as a positive,but in football terms they suffered.

Season 1976/77 was horrendous for us. From squandering a 2 goal lead at Parkhead at the start of the season to shipping 5 goals to Aberdeen in the LCSF and finally losing a damp squib of a Scottish Cup Final to them. As I recall we lost the services of Derek Johnstone,Tom Forsyth and Colin Jackson for extended periods...a horrible season from which we deserved nothing.

The summer of 1977 was a different story.......

I was a youngster when the 70's kicked in and never really held out much hope of being champions,bearing in mind I was 3yo when they won the first of their 9,it was all I'd known. We always seemed to have horrendous starts to the league campaign. I thought after Barcelona that we'd kick on,but another stuttering start cost us dearly that year. The following season was poor and we finished 3rd behind Hibs.
There was definitely "a feeling" early on in 74/75 that we could stop the 10...I remember thinking after we beat Kilmarnock 6-0 or 6-1 at Rugby Park that it'd be our season and so it proved.

Aberdeen were very inconsistent in the mid 70's but were always a tough game for us. They had a very good side early in the decade and of course came on strong at the end of the 70's.

Sports journalism wasn't dominated by poetothy back then but serial Rangers haters were still around in Archer and McNee and the "why won't Rangers sign a pape" campaign was in full swing during the mid to late 70's. Our superior fitness was actually used as a stick with which to beat us,as in we only won anything because we were fitter rather than better.

Sean Fallon was no Stein,some may see that as a positive,but in football terms they suffered.

Season 1976/77 was horrendous for us. From squandering a 2 goal lead at Parkhead at the start of the season to shipping 5 goals to Aberdeen in the LCSF and finally losing a damp squib of a Scottish Cup Final to them. As I recall we lost the services of Derek Johnstone,Tom Forsyth and Colin Jackson for extended periods...a horrible season from which we deserved nothing.

The summer of 1977 was a different story.......

Agree totally, we always seemed to make horrendous starts to the league season and off the pace, from the off, as it were.

73/74 and 76/77 were abominations.

As for the former (73/74), the likes of East Fife and Arbroath coming to Ibrox in the league and winning. I think the guy who scored the winner for East Fife was a Kevin Heggarty who I 'm sure was Paul Heggarty's brother.

As for the latter, I don't think the team got over dropping the two points on the first day of the season at the scum hut. Which suggests a fragility overall.

As you say fresh blood was needed in the summer of 77.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that!! Thanks for posting.
I was 10 in 1976, and the CupFinal against Hearts was my first final. Hampden’s capacity at that time was 85,000, but the attendance that day was probably far greater that day as Hampden was easy to skip into. I certainly never had a ticket!
Great memories from an amazing season, and we only had to wait another two years for another treble.

Great read OP............thanks................brought back some amazing memories of a great season. I'll never forget the football specials to Dundee the night we won the league, packed to the rafters with bears & bevvy & bouncing all the way to Dundee and back, some party!! When we got back they diverted us down to the low level platforms at Queen street and emptied the train there...............you couldn't hear yourself for the noise of the singing as we got off the train, brilliant stuff! I have no clue how I got home that night lol.
For the Cup Final me & my mate climbed into the c****c end at Hampden - through the old builders yard at the back of the terracing. This was after they gates had been opened and hundreds if not thousands got in that way before they closed them again. There were so many trying to get in that we were still 30 yards from the turnstiles when DJ scored the opener. There were no lines just thousands of people trying to get near the gates. That was when we thought f**k this.......we're climbing in..........climbed into the builders yard to discover that the bears were using the ladders to get over the wall and forming orderly queues at each ladder......classic!!! When we got up the hill to the last fence there were so many climbing over that plod were helping everyone get over the fence, if you can't beat 'em join 'em.....lol. From my memory the Main Stand, North Stand & Rangers end were all ticket, but the rest of the ground was pay at the gate.
Great performance by Rangers that day and the final scoreline of 3-1 flattered Hearts. Back to the Old Vale bar in Alexandria on the Strathleven Loyal (sadly no longer running) after a pit stop at the railway Inn at Bowling and a wee sash up. Great memories.

February is a good month for Rangers, a 2-1 win at Ibrox v Aberdeen in the League on the 7th, was followed up a week later on the 14th with another Ibrox victory against them, this time in the Scottish Cup 4-1. February was completed with 1-0 away wins at Ayr Utd, McKean the match winner, and Motherwell where a Johnstone strike after MacDonald's shot rebounds from the keeper sealed the points. The month was good for Celtic also - three League victories without conceding a goal.

My first game at Ibrox, just after my birthday so my dad must have took me as a birthday treat.

DJ was scoring for fun that season yet you could still get him at 7/1 for 1st scorer on the morning of the game. Alas being only 9 at the time was unable to get on

Back