Rangers FC Website - Why so bad?

The worst thing about it is they could pay someone straight out of uni to come in and they'd have it sorted within a matter of weeks.

That's the thing that really astonishes me.

In fact, if you just trawl through some of the "techie" threads on here, you don't have to look too hard to find people who would undoubtedly do a better job than the club.

Twitter, Facebook and Instagram is first class and all the content posted on there is probably the first port of call for the Social Media generation. I would be interested to know what the hit rate, excluding tickets, on the website directly and not through links from these other platforms.

Twitter, Facebook and Instagram is first class and all the content posted on there is probably the first port of call for the Social Media generation. I would be interested to know what the hit rate, excluding tickets, on the website directly and not through links from these other platforms.

That's a good point. Other than for tickets, I honestly can't remember the last time I went on the web site looking for content. As you say, tend to get it off Instagram, Twitter or FB.

The galleries they have on are pretty poor and basic also

It annoys me (more than it should maybe) that when you click on the Gallery from the home page, you then have to click on View Gallery again on the next page. If I'm clicking on it from the home page them just take me straight there's as it's clearly where I want to go.

The website could be a huge help to the club.

It could be turned into an alternative to newspapers and carry magazine-type articles.

It could also be used to challenge media attacks on the club and support.

People don't like when issues like this are raised but I don't think the club has a clue when it comes to propaganda.

Rangers is run by people who seem to think it's just a bog standard football club and a job's just a job anyway.

Our official club website is not being utilised to its full potential and should be a source of concern for any CEO of a global institution our size.

Our official club website is not being utilised to its full potential and should be a source of concern for any CEO of a global institution our size.

I get that fans can’t be bothered with negatives but there are aspects to the way the club is run that are frankly amateurish.

Celtic are light years ahead at this kind of stuff.

p25xrMS.png

Amateur hour again. "No one needs to be able to read any of the text anyway." - web admin

On my phone, found that story, clicked on it and all uploaded for me. Am I missing something?

Position of the text on the image on the left is covered by an overlay so it reads "Ristmas ers".

Contrast of the text on the right due to the background image.

The site will be maintained by Blue2 but the content will be maintained by RFC employees.

This. There's probably a very basic CMS or something letting some junior admin-type staff update content and they may even be copy/pasting info from other resources, rather than writing/uploading proper content from scratch.

In the modern day, it would be a good investment to bring some basic dev resource in-house and own the product wholly.

It can be far more cost effective and mean less reliance on those third parties you pay a lot of money to.

There's bound to be some good bears out there who'd love to work for the club and who have the skills to do it.

I'd love to be a Product Owner on something like that and a good web app.

The RTV team do a cracking job of putting together content for online, so a proper creative development team could come up with great stuff and genuinely make a mark on the digital space.

This. There's probably a very basic CMS or something letting some junior admin-type staff update content and they may even be copy/pasting info from other resources, rather than writing/uploading proper content from scratch.

In the modern day, it would be a good investment to bring some basic dev resource in-house and own the product wholly.

It can be far more cost effective and mean less reliance on those third parties you pay a lot of money to.

There's bound to be some good bears out there who'd love to work for the club and who have the skills to do it.

I'd love to be a Product Owner on something like that and a good web app.

The RTV team do a cracking job of putting together content for online, so a proper creative development team could come up with great stuff and genuinely make a mark on the digital space.

Yeah it's wordpress mate.

In regards to the 'stats' content, I believe this is outsourced and centrally managed by a company who does loads of sports websites so in reality, our site will just be managed by someone adding WP pages.

Yeah it's wordpress mate.

In regards to the 'stats' content, I believe this is outsourced and centrally managed by a company who does loads of sports websites so in reality, our site will just be managed by someone adding WP pages.

Cheap and easy approach. A shame.

Got to think most of the club's efforts are on social media these days rather than the website. Aside of buying tickets I can't think of a single reason why I would visit any team's website.

The website could be a huge help to the club.

It could be turned into an alternative to newspapers and carry magazine-type articles.

It could also be used to challenge media attacks on the club and support.

People don't like when issues like this are raised but I don't think the club has a clue when it comes to propaganda.

Rangers is run by people who seem to think it's just a bog standard football club and a job's just a job anyway.

It's not 1999 any more. All about Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram etc these days.

Back