Rangers FC Website - Why so bad?

GR4Dave

Official Ticketer
Our own RFC website and we can't update the Rangers v Porto result from last Thursday or get the score correct on 3 different pages on our website. This is one area that needs to be vastly improved. A 12 year old could do a better job from their bedroom.

Reactions: dmg
Sometimes I think people get too wound up by the website but that’s is really embarrassing to be honest.

If you can’t even publish the correct score you probably shouldn’t be looking after that page.

The layout looks a bit dodgy on the mobile layout too, check out how wonky the numbers look!

Screenshot-20191112-012440-Chrome.jpg

the website will be on the list of upgrades no doubt. it would seem the media department are putting most of their resources into twitter, instagram and RTV operations and behind the scene footage.

With European football still being played, we'll be getting hits from all over the world from fans looking at who they want to avoid in the next stage in Europe. Pretty embarrassing.

You’d imagine our website is fairly popular.

It does appear a rather amateur set up all round. Was this latest refresh a spiv time doing though?

I have vague recollections of it being updated then?

You could buy something out the box.

I find it a tough navigate.

That black bar at the top used to lie half way down the page when you scrolled down on a phone. I was counting my blessings that they at least got that fixed :))

It does appear a rather amateur set up all round. Was this latest refresh a spiv time doing though?

Not the Spivs I’m afraid.

We took on a provider called blue2 after ‘a competitive pitch’ around 4 years ago

Rangers Football Club has unveiled a newly designed website created by digital agency Blue2.

Selected after a competitive pitch, Blue 2 worked through the summer developing a new website for the club, compatible across a series of devices.

Stewart Robertson, managing director of Rangers Football Club, added: “We are delighted to announce our digital partner agreement with Blue2 Digital and to launch our first project together.

“Blue2’s fresh design will help to bring supporters closer than ever to their club and I am sure our worldwide fanbase will enjoy the rich content and features available on the new platform.

"We are in the process of rebuilding Rangers Football Club and a revamped website is the latest step in that process."

Blue2 adds Rangers FC to its portfolio of sporting clients including St Andrews Links Trust and sportsoracle

Their clients appear to include St Andrews Links, DC Thomson, Dundee FC, Scottish Hockey, Virgin Money and SSE.

It's just another example where bad organisation and poor operations management swims through the club. We don't do a lot of things very well.

When you have a Managing Director in charge of day to day operations like Stewart Robertson it should come as no surprise.

Yes, the board have provided loans etc. and they eventually appointed a manager like SG. But outwith that there are so many below par things in and around our club.

ive been a long time moaner about the state of the website and its upkeep

every single day from midnight til around 6am our online ticket shop is 'down for maintenance' its a utter shambles
To be fair, that's the exact kind of time that system should be down at.

Given how outstanding the social media team have been the passed 2 years, it's odd how much the website has been neglected

It took them god knows how many years to change the “Sold Out” to “Not on-sale yet”. The club have shot themselves in the foot because people would’ve went on the website and saw the likes of a game against Hearts and it says “Sold Out” but it’s really not it’s just that the tickets haven’t went on-sale yet.

The website is an absolute joke to navigate.

As an old codger I don't know much about web sites and stuff like that but when you compare the layout to some other clubs it does look a bit of a mess.

The website is a shambles. Absolutely grinds me having to click buy tickets to be able to sign in. Also hate the way it opens a new web page each time you click on something

It's appalling. The info for Academy players is terrible, has their name and no other information. I emailed Stewart Robertson and the SLO and offered to maintain it, foc. Neither of them replied.

The worst thing about it is they could pay someone straight out of uni to come in and they'd have it sorted within a matter of weeks.

Mate you could stick a £20 job up on Airtasker and someone could do better.

These jobs shouldn’t go to market these days. The position should be headhunted or a Consultant with (dare I say it) social media influencing skills should be brought in on retainer or a short term contract.

Our supporters club information is wrong on the site. I emailed them about 3 years ago to correct it, nothing happened, I emailed back last year and it’s still not been updated.

Other than buying tickets or reading club statements I don't really use it to be honest. Having decided to cleanse myself of Twitter recently I've found myself back there more often and It's pretty poor. Full of old and inaccurate information.

The website could be a huge help to the club.

It could be turned into an alternative to newspapers and carry magazine-type articles.

It could also be used to challenge media attacks on the club and support.

People don't like when issues like this are raised but I don't think the club has a clue when it comes to propaganda.

Rangers is run by people who seem to think it's just a bog standard football club and a job's just a job anyway.

Our supporters club information is wrong on the site. I emailed them about 3 years ago to correct it, nothing happened, I emailed back last year and it’s still not been updated.

I take that back, they have now updated it :D Best to check these things before coming on and making a James Hunt of yourself:cool:

The last major website upgrade was in late Summer 2015, after the ousting following the winter of spivcontent

It constantly gets things wrong or the text is messed up and doesn't get fixed for days.

I really hope it's not someone sole job to fix this site.

The website is amateur at best , the ticket hotline not much better, badly needs some investment and people running it who actually seem to care about fans. Still raging from when I got offered a season ticket in the summer was right behind the dugouts cracking seat , the guy phoned and I said I’d take it but was at work never had my Card on me to make payment right there and then , asked if he could hold it for an hour and I’d go home and then to Ibrox and pay in full , and the guy wouldn’t do it and cut me off , needless to say I never got the ticket , got another one but nowhere near as good a seat, small things like this piss me off when we really are the best and most loyal fans and sometimes get treated like crap.

Paying a company thousands per year for that utter shambles is damning frankly. Slow, clunky, hard to navigate. Errors all over it, near every section is pretty poor it’s actually worse than what we had 20 years ago.

Paying a company thousands per year for that utter shambles is damning frankly. Slow, clunky, hard to navigate. Errors all over it, near every section is pretty poor it’s actually worse than what we had 20 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that it's a wordpress site and thus we probably aren't paying 'thousands per year'.

The problem probably lays with the training of the people administering the CMS (wordpress)

The worst thing about the current website was when it launched - which should have been a red flag for everyone instantly - was the developers had the whole website in a container called "ad", which adblockers picked up on and anyone running an adblocker couldn't see the website at all.

I'm pretty sure that it's a wordpress site and thus we probably aren't paying 'thousands per year'.

The problem probably lays with the training of the people administering the CMS (wordpress)

See post #16. We put it out to competitive tender 4 years ago and a company called Blue2 won the contract.

I'm unclear as to whether they simply came up with the design or whether they maintain the site. My guess is a bit of both.

See post #16. We put it out to competitive tender 4 years ago and a company called Blue2 won the contract.

I'm unclear as to whether they simply came up with the design or whether they maintain the site. My guess is a bit of both.

They'll have done the design and development of it and they'll maintain the actual website although the content will be maintained by Rangers' content team.

It’s utter tripe. The fact you have to pretend to buy a ticket so you can login rather than just simply have a login tab on the main page is terrible
If you look at the URL when you do that it goes from Rangers.co.uk to rangers.talent-sport.co.uk therefore it's a sub domain and will be where our ticket provider software sits. I dont disagree that they could easily add in buttons and direct you straight there. It they were to do a survey of user experience there is probably about 20 small fixes they could pay a company £3-5k to fix and add links that would tide it over another couple of years.

The rangers tv section is brutal aswell

It is - but simple if you know the workaround. For video content simply login then hit the Search button next to where it says 'show me videos about' - but leave the Search box empty.

Unwieldy, unnecessary and unprofessional though, I agree.

Back