Rangers First

Robert Marshall

Six years ago today, the first meeting was held in The Louden Tavern of 60 Rangers fans that would lead to the formation of Rangers First, a Community Interest Company ( CIC ) that would grow to 14000 members*
It was formed in the hope that we would, the fans get some sort of control over our Club.
At the time there was a lot of bad feeling from certain members of The RST because of some of the people involved with RF.
I don't want to open old wounds or even revisit some of the things that happened, but what I will say, with hindsight, is that it appears their fears were well founded,
I was banned more times than Willie Johnston from posting on FF, but can honestly say that I never had a cross word with Mark Dingwall over this, spoke to him many times before the games and he explained that it was only certain people that he and others had a problem with.
As I say, no recriminations about anything that happened, but i truly believe with the formation of RF, it kick started RST into action and with a common goal, , I would like to think we helped, in a small way, the current board wrestle control from the previous regime.
So once again I would like to thank Dave King, Douglas Park, John Bennett, George Letham and George Taylor along with the members of the RST, RF and every single fan that voted with us to win our Club back, our support will never be able to repay them.
Without buying shares and ousting them, we would still be in the hands of these 'people'
I don't want to name individuals in RF or the RST, but my eternal thanks.
The Future is bright.

*Figure is disputed by some and they might be right, but the Principle still stands.

Banned, see ya later :)

Good post. I hated the political nonsense that went on but regardless I still signed up for both and was glad that supporter activism played such a strong part in saving our club. We all played our part and shouldn't ever get complacent.

Became a life member almost immediately, stopped subscribing at the formation of c1872

Banned, see ya later :)

Good post. I hated the political nonsense that went on but regardless I still signed up for both and was glad that supporter activism played such a strong part in saving our club. We all played our part and shouldn't ever get complacent.

Same here.
Must admit I was sceptical at the time, given events previously, but the rescue of our club outweighed that.
Thankfully, the good guys wrestled control.
Your point re never getting complacent is bang on the money.

I remember the shennanigans all too well and some of the people you refer to above are best ignored though such was their desire to be in the limelight you wonder when one or two of them will pop up again and in what guise?

C1872 seems to work quite well and for the right reasons but fan representation can be a bit of a poisoned chalice at Rangers for numerous reasons.

The club is in a far better place these days thankfully and fans helped for sure by boycotting, investing and protesting. One 5XL problem remains sadly and when he goes then we can be happier still.

In all honesty, whilst c1872 have got decent number of shares, I think merging the 2 was a mistake by Rangers First

Was this the one that Gordon Ramsay signed up for? Always been a bit surprised that he's never taken a more active role if he's as big a fan as he says he is. But then, it's his money, his life and his prerogative.

In all honesty, whilst c1872 have got decent number of shares, I think merging the 2 was a mistake by Rangers First

The reality is we only need one fan shareholding organisation, have more than one and it would lose any influence it may have, the mistake however was making this vehicle the only fan organisation and we have. There should be a place for independant groups like th disabled supporters and the like as individual groups.

Was this the one that Gordon Ramsay signed up for? Always been a bit surprised that he's never taken a more active role if he's as big a fan as he says he is. But then, it's his money, his life and his prerogative.

It helps with his media profile.

I've heard him say numerous times in interviews he's a Chelsea Fan

Good for you, that’s the spirit!

Yup, the exact sort of person that he'd criticise himself for politicising things.

There can be only one Supporters (Shareholders vehicle) Group. You can't have more than one or it becomes a nonsense.

I understand the difference between what the RST was an a CIC like Rangers first but one unit is the only way for it to work. You either get on board with that or you're part of the problem.

You would have to say however that without the vocal comments of Craig Houston and the SOS campaign we might not have been as mobilised to get where we are. It shows that working together we as a support can get results.
Even then there were still a large number refusing to put the club ahead of themselves. Makes me really angry thinking of it tbh.

Your point re never getting complacent is bang on the money.

It's important we don't forget this.

I've got faith and trust in Dave King. I know he only has the best interests of the club at heart.

However i wouldn't want him or anyone else to have more than 50% shareholding. One person should never have this power again at our club.

Back