Rangers goalkeeper all time clean sheet standings

The problem with Peter McCloy is that he should have been replaced a couple of seasons sooner than he was, i still remember Nick Walker coming in and then Chris Woods and the memories of McCloy were like someone’s dad in goals

That surprised me when I read it on Wikipedia. He also played a lot more games for Hibs than I thought he did.

Suprisingly , he actually played more games for Oldham than he did for us.
He played 260 games for us by my calculations. That section of Wikipedia only shows League games. Normally there’s more detailed statistics at the bottom but they aren’t on his, when domestic cups and Europe are included it takes it to 260.

Can’t find his Oldham statistics but I doubt he played many cup games for them.

Edit: Found this site showing 215 + 4 total appearances for Oldham over two spells

He played 260 games for us by my calculations. That section of Wikipedia only shows League games. Normally there’s more detailed statistics at the bottom but they aren’t on his, when domestic cups and Europe are included it takes it to 260.

Can’t find his Oldham statistics but I doubt he played many cup games for them.

Edit: Found this site showing 215 + 4 total appearances for Oldham over two spells

True.

91/92: 55
92/93: 52
93/94: 10
94/95: 22
95/96: 47
96/97: 38
97/98: 36
Total: 260

I genuinely recall far more of McCloys errors, resulting in goals, but that could be because he played in far more games than these other keepers.
I remember once he had lost his place in the first team, we played a friendly against Spurs at Ibrox. I can’t remember who our keeper was, but we subbed him late in the second half to allow McCloy a bit part. Our fans then started chanting McCloy’s name, and I said to my mate that they have a short memory. Within ten minutes, he had palmed an easy shot straight back out towards the penalty spot and a Spurs Player scored.
Unfortunately, I have so many memories of goals against us where McCloy was at fault, and I won’t even mention him swinging on the crossbar in a cup final, whilst the ball is lying in the net behind him. Oops too late, I did mention it.
Gary Mabbut 1982/3?

Can contribute this from before start of this season.

TOP 25 MOST CLEAN SHEETS IN 21ST CENTURY​

1) Iker Casillas - 439
2) Gianluigi Buffon - 420
3) Petr Cech - 391
4) Pepe Reina - 343
5) Manuel Neuer - 327
6) Igor Akinfeev - 316
7) Andriy Pyatov - 269
8) Edwin van der Sar - 266
9) Victor Valdes - 260
10) Mickael Landreau - 253
11) Hugo Lloris - 253
12) Rui Patricio - 244
13) Tim Howard - 242
14) Allan McGregor - 240
Mcgregor shouldn’t retire he can get the top easily even if he drops down a level

Goalkeeper is probably the most transformed role in football in the time I've been watching football. From bare-handed to gloves like paddles to techniques of spreading yourself unseen 50 years ago. We used to be full of disdain for keepers who punched the ball clear instead of catching it, and I suspect that's why I enjoyed seeing Jon McLaughlin come out for crosses.

This is one of these conundrums that can’t be defined by stats, as for a start back in Brown, Niven, Ritchie times one look at the state of the grounds, not manicured the way they are now. Then two they played with a Bladder, not one of the pristine balls they have now. Throughout History our Forefathers must have said the same thing, however their not around now to state their case about the Greats of Rangers.

Stats for shutouts are not so easy to find, but here´s the top 10 list of postwar shutout records for Rangers goalkeepers up to 1997:

1) Peter McCloy - 214 / 535 games, 40,0 % clean sheets
2) Billy Ritchie - 120 / 340 games, 35,3 % clean sheets
3) Chris Woods - 119 / 230 games, 51,7 % clean sheets
4) Bobby Brown - 109 / 296 games, 36,8 % clean sheets
5) George Niven - 106 / 327 games, 32,4 % clean sheets
6) Andy Goram - 99 / 225 games, 44,0 % clean sheets
7) Stewart Kennedy - 45 / 131 games, 34,4 % clean sheets
8) Norrie Martin - 41 / 110 games, 37,3 % clean sheets
9) Nicky Walker - 37 / 97 games, 38,9 % clean sheets
10) Jim Stewart - 34 / 92 games, 36,9 % clean sheets

Stats according to Rangers Player by player by Bob Ferrier & Robert McElroy. Wartime shutouts are not included.

Peter McCloy has the most shutouts, but Chris Woods has by far the best shutouts to games played record.
wht games are included in these stats is it all competitive games or just league ?

He does
Usually by people who never seen him
He was solid for a long time
Its ridiculous all these appearances and shut outs and he gets remembered for a bad mistake v Aberdeen in a cup final and 2 or 3 other normal mistakes a goalkeeper makes. How do you think he ended up playing all these games if he was a liability or not very good. Some utter nonsense spouted on here.

Its ridiculous all these appearances and shut outs and he gets remembered for a bad mistake v Aberdeen in a cup final and 2 or 3 other normal mistakes a goalkeeper makes. How do you think he ended up playing all these games if he was a liability or not very good. Some utter nonsense spouted on here.
Exactly, as i said i saw his whole career. very reliable keeper.

16yrs a Ger says he was a good GK. Peter was big, commanding and a decent shot stopper too. But could also be vulnerable from distance & I recall him swinging from the bar on a least one occasion while the ball nestled behind him.

Back