Rangers Grave Restoration

Stoddy

Official Ticketer
Does anyone know who does this or contact details!

I found out today that RC Hamilton lies in Elgin's Old Cemetery in an unmarked grave and that's not right!

write to the club

you can also search this forum as regular updates come on from the guys doing this great work

Robert Cunningham Hamilton , first Rangers player to net over 100 goals for rangers and hit 182 in 209 competitive games . He scored 310 in all games and hit 35 goals versus Celtic .

He was part of the invincible s team that won all 18 league games in 1899 and won 4 league titles and 2 Scottish cups . He become provost of Elgin and died in 1948 .

I hope the fans and club could help the OP out .

Robert Cunningham Hamilton , first Rangers player to net over 100 goals for rangers and hit 182 in 209 competitive games . He scored 310 in all games and hit 35 goals versus Celtic .

He was part of the invincible s team that won all 18 league games in 1899 and won 4 league titles and 2 Scottish cups . He become provost of Elgin and died in 1948 .

I hope the fans and club could help the OP out .

It’s an old thread mate. I bumped it to ask if there had been any progress.

I was contacted by a guy from the area. We had a chat and it was left with him going to do some background work. I’m waiting on a response from him.

Thanks for the update. It’s a crying shame that a man who played such a big part in our club is lying in an unmarked grave. I appreciate that there are sensitivities around such matters though.

Thanks for the update. It’s a crying shame that a man who played such a big part in our club is lying in an unmarked grave. I appreciate that there are sensitivities around such matters though.
Odd that as a Provost of Elgin 1931-1937 he ended up in an unmarked grave only 11 years later ? Did he hit hard times, no family ?

edit : From Wiki. :
After retiring from football he went into education and after graduating from the University of Glasgow, Hamilton became a school teacher then eventually master. He maintained an involvement in education throughout his life and eventually served upon the Moray and Nairn Education Board in the mid-1930s.[1] He was also involved in local politics, serving in the Elgin Town councilbetween 1914 and 1937. For the last six years of this period he held the position of Town Provost.[1] Hamilton died in May 1948, aged 71. In the late 1950s/early 1960s he had a new road in a private housing estate at the north side of Elgin, overlooking the River Lossie, named after him, as Hamilton Drive, which still remains to-day.

All the more strange he has an unmarked grave.

Odd that as a Provost of Elgin 1931-1937 he ended up in an unmarked grave only 11 years later ? Did he hit hard times, no family ?

edit : From Wiki. :
After retiring from football he went into education and after graduating from the University of Glasgow, Hamilton became a school teacher then eventually master. He maintained an involvement in education throughout his life and eventually served upon the Moray and Nairn Education Board in the mid-1930s.[1] He was also involved in local politics, serving in the Elgin Town councilbetween 1914 and 1937. For the last six years of this period he held the position of Town Provost.[1] Hamilton died in May 1948, aged 71. In the late 1950s/early 1960s he had a new road in a private housing estate at the north side of Elgin, overlooking the River Lossie, named after him, as Hamilton Drive, which still remains to-day.

All the more strange he has an unmarked grave.

You just never know what can happen to people though. Family fallouts, mental health issues, alcohol related problems etc etc. I’m not suggesting for a minute that any of these are the reason behind the unmarked grave, but they are just some examples as to how people can become detached from friends and family.

There was a thread on this a few months ago. As far as I recall there was a lad in Elgin trying to contact any living relatives of RC Hamilton.
During the chat I explained that’s what would need to happen first and if successful then the local authority for the cemetery approached.

I also suggested that the local supporters get together and organise fund-raising activities if they get the go ahead. The Restoration of Rangers Graves Project would of course meet any shortfall.

We’re always keen to encourage local community involvement, if possible, in the restorations.

Does anyone know who does this or contact details!

I found out today that RC Hamilton lies in Elgin's Old Cemetery in an unmarked grave and that's not right!
What??

That needs rectified.

I’m sure City would be willing to help out too.

Found the following - hope it helps. Will continue to research.

Notice different spelling re middle name.

Name:Robert Cumming Hamilton
Death Age:71
Birth Date:13 May 1877
Birth Place:Auchry House 259 High Street Elgin
Marriage Date:5 Jul 1904
Marriage Place:Winsor Hotel Glasgow
Death Date:2 May 1948
Death Place:26 North Street Elgin
Father:JAMES HAMILTON NET MANUFACTURER ELGIN( See Nm71444)
Mother:Georgina Cumming
Spouse:Mary Craig
Occupation:Provost Of Elgin & Net Manufacturer & Footballer & Athlete & Lieutenant
Notes:SERVED IN CAMERON HIGHLANDERS PLAYED FOR ELGIN CITY & RANGERS & SCOTLAND

Have now located the local Heritage Centre - will contact them on Monday to arrange an appointment to view material.

To negate duplication could @dubwiser or @The Moonlighter let me know if the Centre has already been contacted.

The Local Heritage Centre is currently housed upstairs in Elgin Library.
The Centre holds a comprehensive of unique materials about Moray’s rich past, including all local newspapers dating back to 1827; all local government archives from 13th Century to present day; 18,000 photographs and much more.

Have now located the local Heritage Centre - will contact them on Monday to arrange an appointment to view material.

To negate duplication could @dubwiser or @The Moonlighter let me know if the Centre has already been contacted.

The Local Heritage Centre is currently housed upstairs in Elgin Library.
The Centre holds a comprehensive of unique materials about Moray’s rich past, including all local newspapers dating back to 1827; all local government archives from 13th Century to present day; 18,000 photographs and much more.
As I said we encouraged the local RSC to do the necessary background work but as yet haven’t had an update.

Back