Rangers Hamilton 10.07.20 Highlights

First game of the year so I suppose you cant really judge, but I didn't see much difference there from how we ended last season. Were still squandering chance after chance and the defence is still guilty of shocking laspes. We need to find a way of being more direct as it look like were going to continue to struggle when teams get men behind the ball. I had hoped Gerrard might have developed some different tactics to counter this but it looked like more of the same to me.

Nice cross by Kent and great finish from Bassey for the first goal, but Alfie should hang his head going down like that in a bounce match.

I hope we improve in France or Leverkusen are going to give us a right going over on their patch.

Last edited:
First game of the year so I suppose you cant really judge, but I didn't see much difference there from how we ended last season. Were still squandering chance after chance and the defence is still guilty of shocking laspes. We need to find a way of being more direct as it look like were going to continue to struggle when teams get men behind the ball. I had hoped Gerrard might have developed some different tactics to counter this but it looked like more of the same to me.

Nice cross by Hagi and great finish from Bassey for the first goal, but Alfie should hang his head going down like that in a bounce match.

I hope we improve in France or Leverkusen are going to give us a right going over on their patch.
Ryan kent set the goal up not hagi

Nice cross by Hagi and great finish from Bassey for the first goal, but Alfie should hang his head going down like that in a bounce match.

Quite a lot to take away from 5 mins of highlights in a bounce match bud. Sure it will be more of a fitness exercise at this stage.

Nice cross by Kent and great finish from Bassey for the first goal, but Alfie should hang his head going down like that in a bounce match.

So much for 'can't really judge' :)

Agreed. Shocker of a miss from Stewart in a bounce match where the fringe players really need to be hitting the ground running.

I don't enjoy criticising friendly performances but clearly lots of work to be done.

Agreed. Shocker of a miss from Stewart in a bounce match where the fringe players really need to be hitting the ground running.

I don't enjoy criticising friendly performances but clearly lots of work to be done.
It’s the 1st game after 3 months of lockdown. Let’s give them a chance to get up to speed before the pitchforks come out.

More a fitness session than anything else, Bassey looks a handful and scored a good header. New kit looks great.

Who was the blond guy who got back to stop a one on one situation around 4.55. Very fast. Was that McCrorie? If so could see him partnering one of our slower centre halves.

You really got all that from those highlights?

The amount of decent chances we blow has been a big problem for gerrard domestically yet our opposition tend to score with the one or two they manage to create.

With the league season starting in a month, our squad is nowhere near strong enough at this point. Still pretty much the same as the team that fell apart after January last season. Anyone trust them to do the business this season? I don’t. We need quality in the door ASAP.

With the league season starting in a month, our squad is nowhere near strong enough at this point. Still pretty much the same as the team that fell apart after January last season. Anyone trust them to do the business this season? I don’t. We need quality in the door ASAP.

I'd trust our 1st eleven, its when one ir two of them are out the replacements aren't up to scratch.

The amount of decent chances we blow has been a big problem for gerrard domestically yet our opposition tend to score with the one or two they manage to create.
I honestly don't think I could take another season of continuously squandering chances.

Also good to see Murphy looking much like pre-injury. A permanent threat and good crossing.

We still require right sided options and a centre forward.
Has Murphy always been number 15? I thought his squad number was 28

How do you stop teams getting players behind the ball?
You’re right, you can’t. We’ve got to adapt OUR tactics to beat the ‘parked bus’.
Last few years tactic of charging up the wing and hopeful crosses to an unloaded box and strikers who aren’t that great in the air is clearly not the way.
We’ve got to try a number of things.Like.....
Breaking very quickly and in numbers when a rare opposition attack breaks down.
Try and attack through the middle/ it’s quicker more direct ( and I mean starting from the centre backs who have to be braver, not fannying around with back and forward pointless passes) and when around the opposition box in central areas, it’s more dangerous for the opposing team because we have the option of a shot or a one-two or a penalty. Of course loading the box increases our chance of success.
Of course going wide sometimes can be the only option available and if so getting to the byline for cut backs is the preferred option.
The cross into the box is the least preferred option but sometimes all that’s left and we can again increase our chances of success by committing greater numbers in the box, and the having personnel who are an aerial threat.
I know all this is a bit of a statement of the bleeding obvious, but last few seasons the team hasn’t followed this through ( except when they played well ).

Bassie looks like a brick shit house, penalty was an absolute STONE WALLER :))

That was one of the softest penalties you will ever get btw. Jamie Murphy looked lively in the highlights.

I wonder if Middleton is being re trained as a left back. He was playing there in training and came on there against hamilton

Back