Rangers have bid for Oldham defender George Edmundson rejected

I realise this is just early negotiations, but I must admit it would worry me a little if we never got any of Mexer, Klosse or Edmundson, as that would be 3 main targets we've been linked with we failed to get. I'm just hoping there's till plenty of alternatives planned.

Why? If he is a player that our scouts & management have followed to the point of making an offer then why would we just fold the second our opening bid has been made?
I'd love us to walk away from all targets after our first initial bid and end up signing no one this window
Literally no players would ever be transferred for money if that was the case.

The point I’m making is that Oldham appear to be playing silly buggers. The fact that the player was allowed to travel to Glasgow suggests to me that we had an agreement in principle at the £450k figure. Someone else comes in late and they renege on that agreement. That’s their privilege. They are entitled to do so. Just as we are entitled to say we don’t like the way you do business and walk away.

We are talking about a player who is likely to be 4th choice for us after all, since I expect another centre-back to come in who will fight it out with a Goldson and Katic for a starting slot. Is he THAT much better than whoever is 2nd or 3rd on our list? Probably not. I suspect Allen won’t ‘do a Bain’ and if he thinks the price is now too high we will walk away. As we should. I doubt Edmundson is critical to our planning for next season.

No, just walk away now. We’ve offered what we think he’s worth and they’ve rejected our bid and, according to the report, bids from three other teams (presumably in the same ballpark) because that want a ‘bidding war’. F*ck that. Move on.
What a load of nonsense.

You always lowball your first bid then the compromising bid is what you were always willing to pay.

Same for if your selling. You inflate the price then cut down to the price you always wanted

If we offered £450k then we value him at slightly above that. You don't reveal your hand at the first play

I realise this is just early negotiations, but I must admit it would worry me a little if we never got any of Mexer, Klosse or Edmundson, as that would be 3 main targets we've been linked with we failed to get. I'm just hoping there's till plenty of alternatives planned.

Nothing could be done with Mexer he was given a fairly big deal to sign with Bordeaux and Klose although we apparently kept tabs on him I don't think he was a genuine target as such.

Edmundson in reality should go through but we can't do much if Oldham want more money it's not exactly for massive amounts so lets see how this plays out regardless we will have many targets lined up incase the deal falls through.

The same Steven Gerrard who dropped Katic for Worrall .... lets hope John Brown has had a hand in scouting this boy !!
That’s the same katic that got hooked at half time for having a bit of a stinker v motherwell

Like it or not he went through a bad patch and was dropped subsequently. Gerrard has managed him perfectly... “SG biggest mistake was splitting up goldson and katic”... FF’s biggest myth.

I expect as off now we are still in talks with them, unless they have went totally of the wall in their demands?

You always start with your low offer to set expectations, test the water. Oldham will have their price we won’t lose out on a young talent for the sake of a couple of hundred grand. Especially one that Gerrard has spoken with directly and knows he wants to come.

The point I’m making is that Oldham appear to be playing silly buggers. The fact that the player was allowed to travel to Glasgow suggests to me that we had an agreement in principle at the £450k figure. Someone else comes in late and they renege on that agreement. That’s their privilege. They are entitled to do so. Just as we are entitled to say we don’t like the way you do business and walk away.

We are talking about a player who is likely to be 4th choice for us after all, since I expect another centre-back to come in who will fight it out with a Goldson and Katic for a starting slot. Is he THAT much better than whoever is 2nd or 3rd on our list? Probably not. I suspect Allen won’t ‘do a Bain’ and if he thinks the price is now too high we will walk away. As we should. I doubt Edmundson is critical to our planning for next season.

I agree that the fact he was allowed to travel up suggests a deal was imminent. However; the bid we've made may not be far short of what is acceptable and it would seem like a bit of a waste to drop our interest after investing a lot of time & effort to get the deal to this stage.

I’d be amazed if the story of a ‘rejected’ bid is actually true in my humble opinion

Why mate? Because you don’t think we’ve bid or because you don’t think we have an interest at all?

Is he not the lad you said was at the Hummel?

Half a million quid for a player from a mid table 4th tier team and they want more. Cant say I'll be dissapointed if we look elsewhere. We got a young high potential croatian international centre half for less than 3x that.
We also had Joe Worral who was valued at £10m ???

We also had Joe Worral who was valued at £10m ???
I think even Forrest will now realise that they were being overly ambitious with that. Besides, in a league where guys like waghorn (who I like btw) can go for 6 million plus, the valuations don't reflect the value for money. That's my issue.

I think even Forrest will now realise that they were being overly ambitious with that. Besides, in a league where guys like waghorn (who I like btw) can go for 6 million plus, the valuations don't reflect the value for money. That's my issue.
Don’t disagree with you but on the flip side of those valuations £450k doesn’t sound a lot if the guy is any good ?

Don’t disagree with you but on the flip side of those valuations £450k doesn’t sound a lot if the guy is any good ?
That's fair enough, and at half a million quid it's a punt we can afford for a squad player. I just get a bit uneasy with the thought of a player at such a low level making the step up to a title challenging team in the Scottish top flight (even though it's rank, it's better than league two).

That's fair enough, and at half a million quid it's a punt we can afford for a squad player. I just get a bit uneasy with the thought of a player at such a low level making the step up to a title challenging team in the Scottish top flight (even though it's rank, it's better than league two).
Gut feeling suggests your right but hopefully our scouting team get it right
Although last season was a mixed bag in that respect.

He was here then we know exactly what they are looking for etc, hence I struggle to believe we have had bid rejected

That’s my thinking

Fair play. That makes sense.

I suppose though they could have given the boy permission to come up and see the facilities without agreeing a fee or they could have moved the goalposts on the fee because they have had other interest since.

Hull City cool interest in Rangers transfer target George Edmundson

HULL CITY have cooled their interest in Rangers target George Edmundson.
Oldham reportedly booted out a Gers offer for the highly-rated centre-half earlier this week.

It's understood the League Two club had originally placed a £500,000 asking price on his head.
But the Lactics have now ramped up his price tag due to interest from elsewhere.
Hull, Stoke City, Sunderland, Preston and Fleetwood Town have all been credited with an interest in the 21-year-old.
However, Hull Live claims Nigel Adkins isn't willing to pay over the odds for the youngster and will move on to other targets.

SunSport Online first revealed that Edmundson was given a VIP tour of the Hummel Training Centre.
Light Blues boss Gerrard is looking to bolster his defence having lost Joe Worrall and Gareth McAuley.

Hull City cool interest in Rangers transfer target George Edmundson

HULL CITY have cooled their interest in Rangers target George Edmundson.
Oldham reportedly booted out a Gers offer for the highly-rated centre-half earlier this week.

It's understood the League Two club had originally placed a £500,000 asking price on his head.
But the Lactics have now ramped up his price tag due to interest from elsewhere.
Hull, Stoke City, Sunderland, Preston and Fleetwood Town have all been credited with an interest in the 21-year-old.
However, Hull Live claims Nigel Adkins isn't willing to pay over the odds for the youngster and will move on to other targets.

SunSport Online first revealed that Edmundson was given a VIP tour of the Hummel Training Centre.
Light Blues boss Gerrard is looking to bolster his defence having lost Joe Worrall and Gareth McAuley.

I think @ID10 had that exclusive the Sun are robbing lol

The more I hear about this deal the more convinced I become that Oldham are ‘at it’ after verbally agreeing a deal with us prior to the players trip to Glasgow,

The more I hear about this deal the more convinced I become that Oldham are ‘at it’ after verbally agreeing a deal with us prior to the players trip to Glasgow,

Or the paper that's reporting it is at it.

Never been reliable in the past so I highly doubt they are now.

No, just walk away now. We’ve offered what we think he’s worth and they’ve rejected our bid and, according to the report, bids from three other teams (presumably in the same ballpark) because that want a ‘bidding war’. F*ck that. Move on.
How do you know that?
perhaps we low balled and we value him higher?

By Andy Devlin
24th May 2019, 10:30 pm

Updated: 25th May 2019, 12:18 am
RANGERS are set to table an improved offer for Oldham Athletic defender George Edmundson.
Gers had an initial bid of £400,000 rejected last week

The 21 year-old — who has a year left on his current deal — has since knocked back the offer of a new long-term deal with the League Two club.

The Latics are resigned to losing Edmundson, in the summer with Wigan, Stoke and Derby all monitoring the situation.

Hull and Peterborough have also had bids turned down, with Rangers set to return to the negotiating table early next week

Back