Rangers have went from 206th to 41st in UEFA Coefficient rankings since 2018.

If you look the 10 year coeff. We are well over half way to Brugges 10 year total in just 3 and a bit years.

When you then take that to the UCL they get 15 million starting fee and their 10 year gets them another 10 million. Usually ranked about 20-22 out the qualifiers on the 10 year.

They get minimal tv pool. We get 10% of Englands which is 7 million at a rough count.

Thats 32 million before you even get to ticket money or win bonuses.

A Rangers in 5 years time regularly winning the title and going straight into the UCL would be operating at a sustainable level for what we currently spend.

Ahhhhh, joy of joys, a thread about numbers.

The only thing that can confuse FFers more than a thread about football or how the points work on MyGers:cool:.

Next week: VAR - the messiah or a false god?

Rangers have rocketed a staggering 165 places in less than four years in UEFA’s club coefficient table.

The Light Blues were languishing in 206th place in the summer of 2018 when Steven Gerrard swept into Ibrox.

Rangers made an ill-fated return to the European arena 12 months previously when they were humiliated by Progres Niederkorn.

Even Aberdeen were looking down on them, albeit in 192nd position, but the Hoops were in 47th position having just qualified for the Champions League group stage for the second season in a row.

But there has been a dramatic change in those three and a half years with Rangers overtaking every other SPFL team.

Clubs are awarded two points for a win and a point for a draw in the group stage with four points for winning the section and two for a runners-up spot.

Gerrard helped restore some much-needed pride in Europe for Rangers after their time in the continental wilderness.

After negotiating four qualifying rounds they qualified for the Europa League group stage in his first season as cltic joined them in UEFA’s second tier competition after crashing out of the Champions League to AEK Athens.

After that first season, the Light Blues had shot up to 94th position - overtaking Aberdeen who moved up to 177.

The mhanks remained in 46th place the following season after reaching the Europa League last-32 where they lost to FC Copenhagen.
But they have now dropped to 49th while Rangers sit six places above them after a win over Sparta Prague that booked their place in the Europa League knockout stage.

The pedo-harbourers suffered late heartache against Bayer Leverkusen in Germany, losing 3-2, and go into the inaugural Conference League.

The Ibrox club have Gerrard to thank for their rise after two successive knockout stage qualifications and he put them on the brink of a third with Giovanni van Bronckhorst completing that job in his first game in charge.

And that win helped Scotland consolidate their position of ninth in the country coefficient table as they remain on the coattails of Austria.

This season's champions will almost certainly be granted an automatic place in next season's Champions League group stage, with the Premiership finishing last season ranked 11th.

It means that as long as the winner's of this season's competition also qualify via their domestic league, the champions will go straight into the groups.
Is that from the Record mate?

According to this we were 262nd in 2018 so that's a jump of 223 places. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

If you look the 10 year coeff. We are well over half way to Brugges 10 year total in just 3 and a bit years.

When you then take that to the UCL they get 15 million starting fee and their 10 year gets them another 10 million. Usually ranked about 20-22 out the qualifiers on the 10 year.

They get minimal tv pool. We get 10% of Englands which is 7 million at a rough count.

Thats 32 million before you even get to ticket money or win bonuses.

A Rangers in 5 years time regularly winning the title and going straight into the UCL would be operating at a sustainable level for what we currently spend.
Interesting.

What do the tims get for their 10 year ranking?

Shows how important the coefficient is.

If I’m reading it right, in 2017 we took the country coefficient, that placed us at 307. 307 to 39, not too shabby.

Regarding the ten year coefficient, according to this site this is what Celtic have for this season

ten-year coefficient3.432.000,00 €

Rangers have

ten-year coefficient924.000,00 €

Quite a difference.

Is that from the Record mate?

According to this we were 262nd in 2018 so that's a jump of 223 places. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

They don’t appear to have our current ranking or the gap between us and Celtic correct. Given that I’d be highly surprised if they were correct about the situation 3 and a bit years ago.

Daily Rebel, not a publication interested in facts

Gerrard's departure was painful and annoying, but you can't deny his overall European record was brilliant, and he is massively responsible for the club regaining its status outside of Scotland.
Our results in Holland+ Belgium + Portugal were above our at the time ranking.

Rangers have rocketed a staggering 165 places in less than four years in UEFA’s club coefficient table.

The Light Blues were languishing in 206th place in the summer of 2018 when Steven Gerrard swept into Ibrox.

Rangers made an ill-fated return to the European arena 12 months previously when they were humiliated by Progres Niederkorn.

Even Aberdeen were looking down on them, albeit in 192nd position, but the Hoops were in 47th position having just qualified for the Champions League group stage for the second season in a row.

But there has been a dramatic change in those three and a half years with Rangers overtaking every other SPFL team.

Clubs are awarded two points for a win and a point for a draw in the group stage with four points for winning the section and two for a runners-up spot.

Gerrard helped restore some much-needed pride in Europe for Rangers after their time in the continental wilderness.

After negotiating four qualifying rounds they qualified for the Europa League group stage in his first season as cltic joined them in UEFA’s second tier competition after crashing out of the Champions League to AEK Athens.

After that first season, the Light Blues had shot up to 94th position - overtaking Aberdeen who moved up to 177.

The mhanks remained in 46th place the following season after reaching the Europa League last-32 where they lost to FC Copenhagen.
But they have now dropped to 49th while Rangers sit six places above them after a win over Sparta Prague that booked their place in the Europa League knockout stage.

The pedo-harbourers suffered late heartache against Bayer Leverkusen in Germany, losing 3-2, and go into the inaugural Conference League.

The Ibrox club have Gerrard to thank for their rise after two successive knockout stage qualifications and he put them on the brink of a third with Giovanni van Bronckhorst completing that job in his first game in charge.

And that win helped Scotland consolidate their position of ninth in the country coefficient table as they remain on the coattails of Austria.

This season's champions will almost certainly be granted an automatic place in next season's Champions League group stage, with the Premiership finishing last season ranked 11th.

It means that as long as the winner's of this season's competition also qualify via their domestic league, the champions will go straight into the groups.
This reads like a serious journalistic article and then I note terms like peado-harbourers.. absolutely written as it should be.. respect.

Kind of shows how well a job the previous management done tbh
Hang on, they didnt win us the League or Scottish Cup!

Hack madness aside, its one of the best indicators of the job they actually did do as opposed to what we are constantly told.

Really its staggering progress, especially when you consider both our starting point and the level at which we were competing to make the improvements.

Agreed and I may be kidding myself, but I would rather we were in inconsistent Champions League team than a consistent Europa team.
I am not so sure about that nowadays.

The CL is getting to the point where it is a fantasy football league and I don't think we can generate enough cash to compete in it.

That leaves us as fodder in a competition where we are there solely for the cash then we drop down into a lower competition that we can then compete in.

Maybe is was the total lack of any European games for so long but I have enjoyed our Europa League campaigns of recent years.

Naturally we want to improve and that in turn sees us chapping at the CL' door again so we have to take that opportunity and face the challenges it throws at us but I have no problem with us being a well respected Europa League team.

Football has changed and for all its glitz and glamour the CL ipitomizes a lot about 'modern' football that leaves me cold, I simply don't like it.

Last edited:

The CL is getting to the point where it is a fantasy football league and I don't think we can generate enough cash to compete in it.

That leaves us as fodder in a competition where we are there solely for the cash then we drop down into a lower competition that we can then compete in.

Maybe is was the total lack of any European games for so long but I have enjoyed our Europa League campaigns of recent years.

Naturally we want to improve and that in turn sees us chapping at the CL' door again so we have to take that opportunity and face the challenges it throws at us but I have no problem with us being a well respected Europa League team.

Football has changed and for all its glitz and glamour the CL ipitomizes a lot about 'modern' football that leaves me cold, I simply don't like it.

Yes, I’ve really enjoyed us being competitive every time we’ve taken to the park, and I think round about Advocaat’s time was the other period we’ve come close in consistency terms ?

The problem is that extra 20m - 25m in the CL, because we will still likely lose a money even with EL Group cash albeit it won’t be massive post COVID.

The realistic target for us might be CL Group & then 3rd place ? Dropping into the EL later stages ?

We should be mid 30s (35 36/37 ) by start of next season a few teams above us have big points drop also that will let us leapfrog them.

Any extra wins this year could push us low 30s

Yes, I’ve really enjoyed us being competitive every time we’ve taken to the park, and I think round about Advocaat’s time was the other period we’ve come close in consistency terms ?

The problem is that extra 20m - 25m in the CL, because we will still likely lose a money even with EL Group cash albeit it won’t be massive post COVID.

The realistic target for us might be CL Group & then 3rd place ? Dropping into the EL later stages ?
That's the rub. We need the money but to get it we enter a competition we can't realistically compete in.

So we do it just for the cash and the hope of a third place finish that allows us to drop into a lesser cup where we can have a game.

I also hate this format of 'dropping down' It totally devalues to other competition and now gives clubs an unfair financial advantage over clubs who have been competing in the 'lesser' Cup.

That's shite as well but might be how we bridge the gap with the top 4 to 8 teams in the Europa League and give ourselves a shot at it.

That's the system, we have no real choice but to play within it.

But do I ilke it? No, frankly the whole set up is shite.

My view too. The CL is pretty much money only for us these days and hoping/aiming for 3rd to stay in Europe.

Certainly not going to turn my nose up at it but the Europa is a good level for us and a chance to play a good quality of teams from a wider range of countries.

In the groups alone we've played teams from Spain, Portugal, Austria, Russia, Switzerland, Netherlands, Poland, Czech Republic, Belgium, France and Denmark over the past 4 seasons.

Hopefully when the dust has settled on the manner of Gerrard,s departure we all look back favourably on what he accomplished. Domestically he did what was required, on the European stage , nobody could have forecast these achievements.

That's the rub. We need the money but to get it we enter a competition we can't realistically compete in.

So we do it just for the cash and the hope of a third place finish that allows us to drop into a lesser cup where we can have a game.

I also hate this format of 'dropping down' It totally devalues to other competition and now gives clubs an unfair financial advantage over clubs who have been competing in the 'lesser' Cup.

That's shite as well but might be how we bridge the gap with the top 4 to 8 teams in the Europa League and give ourselves a shot at it.

That's the system, we have no real choice but to play within it.

But do I ilke it? No, frankly the whole set up is shite.

Spot on. It’s farcical.

That’s Celtic will have played in 3 European tournaments by the end of the season, and been knocked out of them all.

I keep reading that, and I do agree to some extent, I still struggle to forgive Souness, and still have a niggling about it. Thankfully Walter was there to stand tall, now it’s Gio’s turn to keep us at the top.
That said Gerrard’s record in Europe for us was way above anything I expected.
What’s for you, won’t go by you, well so my Ma said..........

Interesting site - following the links & looking at the CL teams it shows the difference in the cash available: 2.8m Euro for a win, 15m euro just for making it to the group stage. 5m Euro for getting knocked out in qualifying. That's the minimum the Malmo result cost us.
Brondby earned more than us as they got knocked out from the CL qualifying.

We were on some run until Slavia away, we settled for a draw over there when the game was there for the taking. Came back to Ibrox and sh!t the bed that was the start of a slippery slope.

We never seemed to recover from the celebrations after the St Mirren game. Some players seemed to think their job at Rangers was done.

Our next ten Euro matches were horrendous, 2 wins in they 10 1-0 Alashkert, then 2-0 Brondby. Compared to 5 defeats in the previous 44 until Malmö.

Coefficients mean nothing if you can’t beat teams like Malmö to get to the real money, I imagine Malmö will get more money and probably equivalent coefficient points as us this season despite scoring 1 goal to date in the Champions league.

Spot on. It’s farcical.

That’s Celtic will have played in 3 European tournaments by the end of the season, and been knocked out of them all.
Much as I am enjoying the Scotland revival, can’t help but feel it’s almost impossible now NOT to qualify......play offs, when really you are Mickey Flanagan.. out out.

I would agree, but is that because we have been playing in a lesser competition than we have historically ?

(TL;DR - Not really).

Here's our record since Advocaat took over.

1998-99 - UEFA 3rd Round (last 16) - knocked out v Parma - 2 Quali/2 rounds before this
1999-00 - UEFA 3rd Round (last 32) - dropped out of CL/knocked out v Dortmund
2000-01 - UEFA 3rd Round (last 32) - dropped out of CL/knocked out v Kaiserslautern
2001-02 - UEFA 4th Round (last 16) - knocked out CL Qualifiers/knocked out v Feyenoord
2002-03 - UEFA 1st Round (last 96) - direct entry / knocked out by Viktoria Zizkof (shudder)
2003-04 - CL Group Stage - 1 qualifying round / finished bottom of group
2004-05 - UEFA Group Stage (next stage would be last 32) - knocked out CL Qualifiers/finished 4th of 5 in the group
2005-06 - CL Round of 16 - 1 qualifying round/qualified from group/knocked out by Villareal
2006-07 - UEFA 4th Round (last 16) - entered at first round, through groups to 3rd round/knocked out by Osasuna
2007-08 - UEFA Final - 2 CL Qualifiers, dropped into UEFA / lost final to Zenit
2008-09 - CL Qualifier Round 2 - knocked out by Kaunas
2009-10 - CL Group Stage - direct entry / finished bottom of group
2010-11 - Europa League Round of 16 - direct entry to CL group, dropped to UEL / knocked out by PSV
2011-12 - Europa League Playoff - knocked out of CL playoff round by Malmo / knocked out of EL Playoff round by Maribor
2012-13 - nil
2013-14 - nil
2014-15 - nil
2015-16 - nil
2016-17 - nil
2017-18 - Europa League 1st Qualifying Round - knocked out by Progres Niederkorn
2018-19 - Europa League Group Stage - 4 qualifying rounds / finished 3rd in group
2019-20 - Europa League Last 16 - 4 qualifying rounds / finished 2nd in group / through 1 knockout round / knocked out by Bayer Leverkusen
2020-21 - Europa League Last 16 - 3 qualifying rounds / finished 1st in group / through 1 knockout round / knocked out by Slavia Prague

Apart from under McLeish in 2003/04 when we got through the CL qualifiers 2005/06 when we got through the CL group into CL last 16, and in 2008 when we got to the UEFA Cup final, we haven't made it past a CL qualifier or the last 16 of the UEFA / Europa League, so we're pretty much finding the same level / stage of competition as we have over the past 20+ years.

There's an argument that the teams were of a higher standard in the early 00's because CL teams dropping out were better, but now the financial disparity/gap in technical ability compared to other leagues has grown and Scotland lags well behind so it is harder for us to keep getting to these stages now.

I think to rebuild from virtually no European pedigree in 2018 to winning the group in 2020 is a phenomenal achievement given where we are financially. Say what you want about Gerrard but the elite culture and winning mentality he brought to us has paid off at that level and the consistency of results against very good teams like Legia, Feyenoord, Porto, Braga, Galatasaray, Benfica, Liege and Antwerp (some CL level teams) speaks for itself.

Progress was probably inevitable, but I think if you'd said to anyone after our disaster to Progres Niederkorn that within 3 seasons we'd be topping our group and getting further in Europe than Celtic you'd have been laughed out of town.

We were on some run until Slavia away, we settled for a draw over there when the game was there for the taking. Came back to Ibrox and sh!t the bed that was the start of a slippery slope.

We never seemed to recover from the celebrations after the St Mirren game. Some players seemed to think their job at Rangers was done.

Our next ten Euro matches were horrendous, 2 wins in they 10 1-0 Alashkert, then 2-0 Brondby. Compared to 5 defeats in the previous 44 until Malmö.

Coefficients mean nothing if you can’t beat teams like Malmö to get to the real money, I imagine Malmö will get more money and probably equivalent coefficient points as us this season despite scoring 1 goal to date in the Champions league.

It goes without saying that even one CL qualification will help our finances enormously. However, we might need to accept a few Peasant-esque hammerings in the process.

Back