Rangers have won the race to sign Oldham's George Edmundson

Know nothing about him, other than he made the League 2 team of the year.

Signed with a view to developing and fulfilling his potential, but if he impresses in the pre season friendlies, then who knows?

Good luck, welcome and work hard sir.

I'm slightly reluctant to say this, but he must have something about him if we're signing him. Time will tell, but he's obviously been on the radar of the scouts and Gerrard has declared he wants him; hard to argue with that. Hope he does well.

Will be happy when this one is confirmed. With Katic at the U21 Euros he’ll probably need a rest which could have left us short for the first qualifier.

So if we land Aribo also. That just leaves is thinking striker....potentially (assuming we get a decent offer for Alfie) anyone aware of anything on the back burner?
But remember The Scotsman said we needed 5 good players to walk straight into our starting XI if we want to win the league

God I hope not! That’s just what we need, another teams player getting developed while we have TWO of our own rusting on the bench. If anyone, it’s another McAully or a Hill on a free transfer than can be called upon when required but that we hope we won’t need!

We also have McRorie who can play there. The last thing we need is yet another loan player forcing the manager to chop and change the defence.

I think it's already been proved that McCrorie doesn't have the physicality to play central defence mate.

If our 4th central defender is a loan signing and improves our starting 11, then what's the problem?

From the clips he looks good on the ball and looks a solid unit who doesn’t dive in. The standard of league 2 looks dreadful though so it’ll be a big step up for him. One concern for me is that he doesn’t look to have the quickest change of pace. Hopefully he continues to improve under our coaching staff. I’d still like us to add another good cb option.

Hope he lives up to his reported potential.

Goldson, Katic and Edmundson should sort out the centre back situation.

I'd like to see us push the boat out for a "number 10" now.[/QUO#
Brilliant. We need another centre back once edmundson signs though. Because that will only be 3 centre backs at the club
That's more than enough in the way the modern games played.
Modern players can adjust to playing in different positions..They don't all need to be 6ft 3".?

The bheggars saying we shop at Poundland for our signings while they select theirs from Harrods.
As far as I can see Harrods must be shut.
I'd never heard of Tavernier and look at what a bargain he has been.

A good record for a youngster, clearly we believe he can push on. I think we'll sign a more experienced CD to complete the four required.

I don't get how people can get excited by the signings were making. Don't get me wrong they could be successful or they could be the next Rob Kiernan, Matt crooks, or oduwa. There'll all from a similar background. All squad fillers so far
Difference being, possibly, the competency, the standard, of those doing the scouting?
That’s not too say you won’t be correct.
However, is it not better to be positive and half glass full?

It's hard to get an idea of his defensive abilities based on Youtube clips as they tend to focus on the fancy stuff. From the little I've seen though he appears to have a decent bit of pace for a centre back, he can ping a lovely diagonal ball and he looks as though he may be two footed, although he favours the right. He also looks very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

I think it’s interesting that we keep signing relatively inexperienced centre halves. It’s the one position alongside goalkeeper where teams usually value experience. We’re going against the grain too often for it to be coincidence. Wonder what the thinking is - whether they think McGregor’s experience means they can go younger (and cheaper/ more athletic) at cb.

I think it’s interesting that we keep signing relatively inexperienced centre halves. It’s the one position alongside goalkeeper where teams usually value experience. We’re going against the grain too often for it to be coincidence. Wonder what the thinking is - whether they think McGregor’s experience means they can go younger (and cheaper/ more athletic) at cb.
We conceded half the league goals last season compared to those conceded by the experienced defenders we had the season before.

We will still sign a first pick centre half. Hence the interest in Cooper and Mexer. Edmondson will be back up, and the other 3 will compete - much like last season.
As long as our next CH purchase isn't too old then that sounds like the perfect mix.

We need our experienced CH to be around 30, early 30's at a push. You can plan for a few years out of a guy that age. Any older and you are fire fighting looking for a replacement every year.

Good luck to this Edmundson and good work by Rangers getting this signing over the line.

Wish the lad well, but personally I would have preferred us to splash the cash in the CB position and got a player with a bit more experience.

We conceded half the league goals last season compared to those conceded by the experienced defenders we had the season before.

I’m not knocking it. I just wonder what goes on in the background. I’m fascinated by the advanced metrics used to scout in baseball - and more particularly how they predict future performance.

When we announced our new head of technical scouting or whatever his title was I’d love to think we had some advanced scouting metrics that had identified areas where the actual value of players was different to their perceived market value.

I doubt if it’s as straightforward as that but I do think it’s worth asking the question “why?” when one team zigs when everyone else zags.

He has been playing in the left side of a midfield diamond according to the reports.
We don't really play with a traditional 10 though. What we needed was a more attacking technical CM who can dribble and score which is exactly what Aribo is.

We needed that because Jack and Kamara are more tidy centre mids who do the basics. They aren't the creative types and Davis, who used to be that, now sits deeper.

You could say our 10s will be Aribo, Arfield and Stewart.

It’s all starting to come together.

If we can now get in Aribo and Kent, I’d say we’re a left back short of looking a very strong side. Really hope we hold on to Tav and that is Morelos goes, he is replaced adequately.

We’ll have to offload a lot, no doubt this squad is too big at the moment.

I reckon he’ll be the playmaker we don’t need anymore wingers especially if Kent comes home for the season again

He'll be competing with Kamara and Jack for a place in our central midfield.

His preference is left centre, the same as Kamara.

I’m not knocking it. I just wonder what goes on in the background. I’m fascinated by the advanced metrics used to scout in baseball - and more particularly how they predict future performance.

When we announced our new head of technical scouting or whatever his title was I’d love to think we had some advanced scouting metrics that had identified areas where the actual value of players was different to their perceived market value.

I doubt if it’s as straightforward as that but I do think it’s worth asking the question “why?” when one team zigs when everyone else zags.
I think it basically just comes down to the old problem of finances. Like the other positions the finances in Scottish football mean we're either going for younger players with potential or older players at the other end of the scale. Christ, look at the figures being quoted for McKenna and he's bang average at best imo.

I think it basically just comes down to the old problem of finances. Like the other positions the finances in Scottish football mean we're either going for younger players with potential or older players at the other end of the scale. Christ, look at the figures being quoted for McKenna and he's bang average at best imo.

Fair point but under those circumstances I think most teams would go old CBs and youngsters elsewhere. Since Gerrard came in we’ve added experience in midfield (Arfield and Davis) and up front in Defoe. McAuley was very much an emergency cb. I think most teams would have gone the other way round.

If we were scouting on the metrics used in baseball then it would be the potential to improve the teams efficiency and win more games/become harder to beat.

I like that idea more than potential money making down the line.

Back