Rangers have won the race to sign Oldham's George Edmundson

Nobody in the whole of English football (including EPL) under the age of 21 has won more aerial duels or made more interceptions than him.

I think we are leaning on stats/moneyball quite heavily in our scouting. This is a massive part of Liverpool's recruitment strategy as well.

Where you get these starts from mate?

Very interesting.

Nobody in the whole of English football (including EPL) under the age of 21 has won more aerial duels or made more interceptions than him.

I think we are leaning on stats/moneyball quite heavily in our scouting. This is a massive part of Liverpool's recruitment strategy as well.

But the EPL players will be facing EPL quality opposition so it's not exactly a level playing field.

That was in January. Changed since then.

It looks like we are slowly but surely puting a good squad together.

We have the pre contract guys in. Ojo. Edmundson and Aribo to come.

Improving the squad without spending a fortune.

I’m looking forward to 3 or 4 top quality, proven signings now to give us a squad ready to push for silverware.

Good news but I’ve no idea if he’s any good

Got to trust the management team and he’s got potential
He was in the league 2 team of the season
His stats for Oldham were impressive, best tackler and best passer apparently. Should be a good signing for us.

Are you actually a Rangers supporter? OR you sitting in some editorial office in glasgow city centre on here for a fucking noise up in between editions ? I have read your posts on here the last week or so and you sound anything but a bear.
?? Its his old stats. I don’t really give a shite what you think about me.

Heres the updated ones:
D9HaJZYXUAAlqUt

D6I2ZPbWAAAt02F

D9cftrcVUAAqQFL

I noticed that after posting it. Not sure how it changes the gist of my point though tbh? We are clearly using stats to target players.

Aribo is another who's stats are superb.
Of course we are. You’d be hard pushed to find a club in the 21st century who doesn’t use stats in their recruitment, Scoulding spoke about it recently.

Was just saying they stats on Edmundson were old, posted the new ones above.

From the clips he looks good on the ball and looks a solid unit who doesn’t dive in. The standard of league 2 looks dreadful though so it’ll be a big step up for him. One concern for me is that he doesn’t look to have the quickest change of pace. Hopefully he continues to improve under our coaching staff. I’d still like us to add another good cb option.
Eh? I was just about to ask when we last had a CB as rapid and as comfortable on the ball as he looks lol. We must've watched watched different clips as he was giving strikers 5 yards at times and still getting back, taking the ball off them and pinging a 40 yarder onto the toe of a teammate to start a counter or doing a boughy/amo charging through midfield and noone in those clips were capable of catching him :)

Eh? I was just about to ask when we last had a CB as rapid and as comfortable on the ball as he looks lol. We must've watched watched different clips as he was giving strikers 5 yards at times and still getting back, taking the ball off them and pinging a 40 yarder onto the toe of a teammate to start a counter or doing a boughy/amo charging through midfield and noone in those clips were capable of catching him :)
He’s not too slow when he gets going but I can see faster players getting away from him on the turn.

Think i’m seeing the same thing as the other chap. He looks very fast when in full flight but i’d be a little concerned about change of pace. It looks like it takes him just a few fractions of a second to get up speed and those are the moments that a good forward gets away from you.

That said, positioning can account for that and we need to see him in action to make any sort of judgement. There is a lot to like about the showreel.

Of course we are. You’d be hard pushed to find a club in the 21st century who doesn’t use stats in their recruitment, Scoulding spoke about it recently.

Was just saying they stats on Edmundson were old, posted the new ones above.

The boy Clarke is signing for Brighton apparently. He's a left footed centre half as well (which we seem to be desperate for) I wonder if he was on our radar at all.

I don't get how people can get excited by the signings were making. Don't get me wrong they could be successful or they could be the next Rob Kiernan, Matt crooks, or oduwa. There'll all from a similar background. All squad fillers so far
People assume "Rangers want them so they must be gid". I too am concerned about the standard recruited to date. What happened to quality over quantity?

my mate's an oldham fan and he said he's got great potential, played well at times this season but still a bit naive, should do well up here.

my mate's an oldham fan and he said he's got great potential, played well at times this season but still a bit naive, should do well up here.

This signing reminds me a bit of when we signed Bates, he was obviously raw but someone seen enough in him to take a chance.

Obviously young and still learning but looks to have the raw materials to work with.

Difference with this signing of a young player at center back is that he is ours and any learning he does , we will be the beneficiaries.

People should set their expectations to the correct level. He’s a 21 year old playing in league 2 costing £650k. He’s potentially good. But he’s never experienced playing at Ibrox in a big game.

Those videos showing him spreading the ball around don’t show how many other times he tried that and gave the ball away or put it straight out of play. Imagine Ibrox - first time might get away with it, second time we’ll be all over him. Third time even worse. It’s how he’ll handle that. And how we handle a young guy playing under pressure I doubt he even understands yet. You don’t get a chance to make mistakes.

Some of the Oldham fans I know see him prospect wise, as good as James Tarkowski. Whose next move will no doubt be for £20m+ and who Burnley bought for £5.5m.

I'm personally delighted we are targeting this type of young talent with a potential high sell on value in 2-3 years. It is 100% the right model to take our club forward. Sure, not all of these lads will make a return, but we only need a couple of players bought at this value to sell to EPL or even Championship clubs to make the strategy pay for itself.

I'd also rather do this than dip into the player transfer fee vacuum that exists in the Championship / EPL. Far more to lose in paying an elevated fee of £5-6M for players of a similar quality just because of the league they play in. We've all scratched our heads at the fees some decidedly average players are moving for. There is is no need to get involved in that world. There are bargains to be had with a shrewd scouting team and I think we will realise the benefits of this strategy on the pitch next season and on our bottom line in the years going forward.

[
People should set their expectations to the correct level. He’s a 21 year old playing in league 2 costing £650k. He’s potentially good. But he’s never experienced playing at Ibrox in a big game.

Those videos showing him spreading the ball around don’t show how many other times he tried that and gave the ball away or put it straight out of play. Imagine Ibrox - first time might get away with it, second time we’ll be all over him. Third time even worse. It’s how he’ll handle that. And how we handle a young guy playing under pressure I doubt he even understands yet. You don’t get a chance to make mistakes.

You can’t make posts like that on here...far far too much logic and common sense!

Give me examples of players we have signed from League 2 who have done well for us. I'm just a realist.

We've not exactly made that many, have we? I can think of way more shit signings from Premier League and Championship sides than from League Two.

The first image is a completely different statistic to the one shown in the post you initially replied to.
And? The 2nd image I posted wasn’t. I wasn’t making a point about his statistics, just posting them for people to see updated ones.

?? Its his old stats. I don’t really give a shite what you think about me.

Heres the updated ones:
D9HaJZYXUAAlqUt

D6I2ZPbWAAAt02F

D9cftrcVUAAqQFL
From what I’ve read online he isn’t as strong in the air as he is in the tackle.

It would certainly look like that from those stats.

You think we’re signing 3 or 4 proven top quality players? Where’s the £80 million coming from?
I mean top quality in our league. Perhaps guys that have played for decent sides in the EPL.

I’m not expecting Neymar and M’Bappe.

Maybe the André Gray type of loan signing isn’t beyond our finances.

George Edmundson undergoes Rangers medical ahead of transfer from Oldham
Steven Gerrard is close to making his sixth summer signing with the addition of the 21-year-old centre-back.

George Edmundson underwent his Rangers medical on Thursday and is expected to sign a deal before joining the Gers on their pre-season trip to Portugal.
The in-demand Oldham defender looks set to become Steven Gerrard 's sixth summer signing after a fee of £650,000 was accepted by the Boundary Park club.
Edmundson had also been the subject of bids from Peterborough and Portsmouth while Stoke, Hull and Preston were also said to be monitoring his situation.
But after having two bids turfed out by Oldham it was third time lucky for Gers with the player keen to join up with Gerrard after being given the VIP treatment on a trip to Glasgow last month.

Edmundson will provide competition to Connor Goldson and Nikola Katic in the heart of defence following Joe Worrall's return to Nottingham Forest after a loan spell and Gareth McAuley's exit.
The aggressive defender was named in the League Two team of the year after a dominant campaign with the Latics.

He made 52 appearances last season, scoring twice, and was hailed by former Oldham team mate and ex-St Johnstone winger Lee Croft.
Croft said: "He’s strong in the air, loves a tackle, but he’s came on a lot on the ball as well.
“He’s still only 21, which is young for centre backs, so there is a lot of potential there as well.
“To be honest, I thought he would have gone sooner as there has been a lot of talk about him for a good while.

“There was talk about Sunderland maybe 18 months ago and it was only a matter of time before he made the step up, whether it’s Rangers of anywhere else.
“He’s a big talent so not surprised he’s getting noticed.”
Edmundson is expected to be a Rangers player by the time Gerrard and his squad touch down in Portugal for their pre-season training camp at the weekend.
Joe Aribo could be next. The Charlton midfielder is meeting Addicks boss Lee Bowyer on Friday to decide once and for all on a new deal offer at the Championship club.

And? The 2nd image I posted wasn’t. I wasn’t making a point about his statistics, just posting them for people to see updated ones.

Maybe I've misunderstood the point of your initial post and apologies if so, but you replied to a post stating he had the most interceptions and won the most aerial duels of any U21 in the four leagues in England with a post saying this isn't the case any more and then posted stats which didn't confirm whether it was or wasn't the case.

The bheggars saying we shop at Poundland for our signings while they select theirs from Harrods.
As far as I can see Harrods must be shut.
I'd never heard of Tavernier and look at what a bargain he has been.

They must have wandered into poundland then spotted Joe aribo already in our basket and scarpered out then. Nutters.

Back