Rangers and Hearts could lead legal revolt if Celtic crowned champions and Hearts relegated (Record)

Rangers and Hearts could lead legal revolt if Celtic crowned champions and Jambos relegated
UEFA have warned if leagues call the season over their future European qualification will be under threat.

We will use your email address to send you newsletters. Please see ourPrivacy Noticefor more information on how we use your data and your data protection rights.
Rangers and Hearts could lead a legal revolt against the SPFL if they defy UEFA’s orders and end the season now.

UEFA chief Aleksander Ceferin has made it clear that if leagues decide to finish the season prematurely, their future European qualification will be in jeopardy.

But SPFL bosses are set to defy UEFA’s directive and go against Ceferin’s wishes with Aberdeen chief Dave Cormack last night admitting the coronavirus “hurricane” leaves them with no option.

The SPFL are keen to give clubs clarity amidst the Covid-19 crisis by calling a halt to the campaign, with Celtic being crowned
Premiership champions and Hearts relegated.

But it’s understood that could open the floodgates to potential claims against the governing bodies.

MailSport understands Rangers, Hearts and others see a clear legal route to take and will lobby fellow SPFL clubs who would be adversely affected by the decision to join them.

Rangers, along with other clubs, believe UEFA’s decision is definitive and enhances the likelihood of claims against the league and its directors.

Jambos owner Ann Budge has also already stated the Tynecastle club would consider legal action if they were unfairly sent down to the Championship.

There’s also growing concern that some factions are intent on going it alone.

They’re adamant if Ceferin’s instructions are ignored, the SFA and SPFL would be ignoring their own rules and regulations.

A league source said: “The ramifications for stopping Euro qualification could be huge for several clubs in Scotland.

“Anyone who advocates anything to the contrary is setting a dangerous precedent and someone will have to take responsibility.

“It’s not just about the title or relegation – it’s about due diligence and doing the right thing.”

UEFA believe all leagues can still be finished by August and Ceferin was reacting to the Belgian FA’s decision to end their
campaign and crown Club Brugge champions.

The SPFL will hold a meeting tomorrow to discuss their next move and it’s understood they want to call the league now in order to distribute prize money to clubs.

Aberdeen supremo Cormack believes they will have to do just that if there is no prospect of football returning until September.

And he also warned even if football does resume after the summer, there could be closed-door games for the rest of the year.

Cormack said: “The best description I’ve heard of this pandemic is from the Governor of New York (Andrew Cuomo).

“He described it as a 300-mile wide category five
hurricane that’s going at three miles an hour and hasn’t quite hit land yet.

“So we have a lot to go through with society in the next few weeks.

“If it’s impossible to get games played in late July or early August, I don’t think we will have any choice but to call the league.

“Over the last 48 hours we have had three
conflicting stories come out from UEFA executives.

“This is 100 per cent down to UEFA and the big five leagues being concerned about compensation.

“I would hope that some decision is reached one way or the other, whether UEFA will support us or not.”

Cormack and his investors group have pumped £2m in to the Dons to fend off the financial crisis while players and staff have deferred wages.

He has budgeted to get back in July or August but has warned it could be much longer before fans are let back into stadiums.

He said: “We need to start working on what happens if no games can be played in front of crowds.

“In Asia right now, they are relaxing some of the isolation laws and the virus has come back. Let’s say we relax isolation in June or July, can you go the next day and play games in front of 10,000 to 70,000 people?

“I’m not trying to panic people but it’s important to ask: ‘What if?’ No.1, we need to look after the players and their health.”

The SPFL League programme officially ends on May 17th. No club is legally obligated to compete or play League games after that date. The League will be then incomplete, null and void, or whatever term is applicable. Also, if the SPFL could have gifted that mob the title, then they would already have done so in a heartbeat. That they haven't suggests they know they won't get away with it.

Do people seriously think that any Scottish club doesn't want to play in Europe next season.

With all of the potential income that involves.

Not a chance.

If there is a chance of not getting European entry, why would Celtic want it called. They need European money as much as anybody.

At the risk of repeating myself like a broken record. Null and void.

Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.
Null and void.

Divide all prize money equally across the league's now.

The only legally sound route.

The SPFL League programme officially ends on May 17th. No club is legally obligated to compete or play League games after that date. The League will be then incomplete, null and void, or whatever term is applicable. Also, if the SPFL could have gifted that mob the title, then they would already have done so in a heartbeat. That they haven't suggests they know they won't get away with it.

the SPFL rules do allow the SPFL board to extend the season behind its end date.

The SPFL must be stupid .

If they declare this null and void and divvy up the money then there will be NO legal recourse.nobody will be legally challenging anybody for anything ,however if they make the tims champions it leaves them wide open for a long legal dirty messy court case which could run into millions and millions ,why even take that risk ???

So Aberdeen shoulder to shoulder with c****c.. Are we surprised.??
The headline is about Rangers and Hearts taking action but no quotes from either team, just Aberdeen’s chairman doing the talking..
The spin on this is making me dizzy..
Aye thought that myself. Headline should reflect the story’s content. Piss-poor journalism as usual from that rag.

We can’t let them call it right now.

The SPFL are ready to go against UEFA? So the rhats aren’t bothered about playing in Europe next season?

Whole thing stinks.

The scum are so driven by hate that they could do what scottish football did years ago & hate themselves to death.

Without european football, they will not exist in the long term especially given their 56m wage bill last season. That is unsustainable without CL Group cash, never mind EL Group cash.

Their hatred of us & their immoral pursuit of 9IAR is putting them in danger.

But we & others in this Shitey wee country will be pulled in too if the authorities support them.

If this is about prize money, pay it. Make a partial payment to clubs, based upon current league positions and when the season can or can’t be concluded pay the balance of the cash.
If clubs end up owing a little, allow them to pay it back within a reasonable timescale.

Hopefully we are not put in the position, if the battle begins we at least have sporting integrity at our back

We need the Euro money to help us accelerate our progress. They need it to pay their wage bill. I’m honestly not sure who needs it more.

Even them getting the EL Group money would still be a big loss for them NB, based on their last accounts.

For us we would be close to breakeven subject to us not having any big legal costs with Ashley.

It’s because their wage bill is well above ours mate.

If this is about prize money, pay it. Make a partial payment to clubs, based upon current league positions and when the season can or can’t be concluded pay the balance of the cash.
If clubs end up owing a little, allow them to pay it back within a reasonable timescale.

Cannot understand why this hasn’t been floated so far, why is the only solution to this to “award” the title? Surely we can pay out some money early to keep clubs going, I’d like rangers to come out and ask for this tbh, we seem to be doing our usual and keeping the head down.

In the current situation I can’t see us being able to afford the legal fees to challenge this. Maybe that’s what the Scum and SPFL are counting on? And trust me, this is coming from a poster who generally doesn’t like to be negative.

If it does happen... there is NO WAY the Scum should be entitled to all that Champions League money. It should be made clear to them that, next year, they will be playing for Scotland and any prize money gained will be split between the teams who could still win the league. I guess the same rule would be applied to us...

In the current situation I can’t see us being able to afford the legal fees to challenge this. Maybe that’s what the Scum and SPFL are counting on? And trust me, this is coming from a poster who generally doesn’t like to be negative.

If it does happen... there is NO WAY the Scum should be entitled to all that Champions League money. It should be made clear to them that, next year, they will be playing for Scotland and any prize money gained will be split between the teams who could still win the league. I guess the same rule would be applied to us...
I’m sure that we could get the money together for this. Add £40 to each season book specifically for this payable over 4/5 months or something. Create a specific fund - we could make this happen. How many of us are truly sick of this shit and will glad contribute a few quid?

I’m sure that we could get the money together for this. Add £40 to each season book specifically for this payable over 4/5 months or something. Create a specific fund - we could make this happen. How many of us are truly sick of this shit and will glad contribute a few quid?

Id gladly do it mate. I’ve been arguing for a new Rangers Fans Fighting Fund for ages to take on our haters.

Just like anything else no matter what celtc touch or have influence on turns to utter nonsense and chaos. They can't even enforce their own "standards" after pushing the sporting entegrity button in years gone by. Scottish football will be officially done if they award them the league, they have one last chance to show decency and fairness and yet I really doubt they'll go down the moral route as our nation and governing body is full of bitter, bitter people.

I think Rangers are doing exactly the right thing by keeping their powder dry as football isn't important. Celtic are shameless, lied to hinder us in Manchester, offered Legia no condolence and now demanding a title they never won.

Aberdeen are simply desperate for cash and would equally stitch Celtic up as us for the money . Hearts have my fiull sympathy I don't think they would have been relegated and when the see how hard Dundee Utd found it to get back they know they won't survive either,

You'd imagine Motherwell wouldn't be happy either as they would be missing out on European football if Aberdeen get the Europa place

The SPFL must be stupid .

If they declare this null and void and divvy up the money then there will be NO legal recourse.nobody will be legally challenging anybody for anything ,however if they make the tims champions it leaves them wide open for a long legal dirty messy court case which could run into millions and millions ,why even take that risk ???

why would there be no legal recourse? Surely teams who consider it unfair would still take legal action.

I'm just waiting on this media headline:
DON'T LET THEIR DEATHS BE IN VAIN. GIVE THEM THE TITLE.
We asked those in the pandemic wards what their last wishes were and they were all unanimous in saying award them the title.

Sounds ridiculous but the way that club and the media have behaved in this nothing would surprise me anymore

Do people seriously think that any Scottish club doesn't want to play in Europe next season.
Must be a real possibility that players throughout Europe will not want to travel abroad next season for fear of recurrence of the virus, never mind fans’ attitude to it.
The gravy train is over for Europe’s elite.
With all of the potential income that involves.

Not a chance.

You'd imagine Motherwell wouldn't be happy either as they would be missing out on European football if Aberdeen get the Europa place

Motherwell wouldn’t lose out. Sheep would be getting the Europa slot allocated for the Scottish Cup because that tourney remains unfinished. Every Motherwell fan I know wants the current positions called as final because it gets them into Europe (for their single trip to the Faroe Islands or some Eastern European outpost).

Likely suits Aberdeen to be fair, they’d probably end up out of pocket for the one round in Europe they would get before getting pumped by Icelandic fisherman or such like.

we the fans should start a fighting fund again

take these bastards all the way

Interesting comments coming from Aberdeen again, behind Hearts, they’ve probably made the most noise about concluding the season and financial issues. This from a club that was supposed to be sound is baffling - I feel there may be more on the go behind the scenes then is being let on.

Back