Rangers In Line For Link Up With Mexicans Chivas

Hopefully more sucessful than our relationship with Shenzhen, even though that did produce a very nice orange top.

On a more serious note if we can bring the Rangers brand to Mexico it could open up a large market for merchandise and TV revenue via RTV. Nothing wrong with that model.

Sounds interesting, and could lead to a promising relationship. But time will tell. Quiet optimism here.

Interesting stuff!

I'm very much a fan of us networking with other clubs in other areas for a variety of reasons, I trust Pedro and the board on this so fingers crossed it's a positive step.

More fuel for timmys lunatic conspiracy theory about the cartel running us. Just wait for ill Phil's next blog.

Learned friends I have it on good authority that the cartels grip on Rangers is tightening........
That boy's a fucking crackpot. How has he not ended up in hospital?

Some interesting stuff here:

Club Deportivo Guadalajara – or Chivas as they are more commonly known – need not worry about the 10/8 rule, as they only select players who were born in Mexico. Guadalajara is in the heartland of the country and Chivas relish the idea that they – and not the more corporate Club América – are the club of the people. The two teams contest the Súper Clásico, a game that drew last season’s biggest crowd of 61,561.

Some of the most recognisable players to have played for the Goats – the literal translation of Chivas – include Carlos Vela, once of Arsenal, and Javier Hernández, formerly of Manchester United and Real Madrid. Only a few Mexicans have proved very successful in European football. Hugo Sánchez won five league titles with Real Madrid and Rafael Márquez, who is still playing in Liga MX for Atlas at the age of 37, won four while at Barcelona, but Mexico no longer sends many players to Europe.

As ever, the crucial barometer of a league’s wealth lies with the broadcast revenues it generates. Liga MX’s annual figure of $120m for domestic rights looks small in comparison to the billions made by the Premier League, but Liga MX has gone through a similar media revolution. Soon after its formation in 2012, the established free-to-air broadcasters, TV Azteca and Televisa, had their duopoly broken up by satellite and cable entrants such as Fox Sports, who were backed by Carlos Slim, the billionaire businessman whose wealth puts Rupert Murdoch very much into the shade.

There is a fundamental difference between the way the broadcast revenues are arranged in Mexico and England. While the Premier League have negotiated collectively for all 20 clubs in a central contract, Liga MX clubs have acted unilaterally, so coverage is split between many more channels. For example, Fox signed an exclusive deal with Leon to broadcast their home games in 2012 and then added CF Pachuca in 2014. Slim runs Movil, Mexico’s largest telecommunications company, so he effectively combines the power of Sky and BT, which he is determined to exploit.

Again Chivas are the outliers. After the club refused to renew the Televisa contract in May 2016 following a 22-year relationship, they were disappointed by what was on offer from the likes of ESPN so decided to set up their own television channel, Chivas TV. The only way to watch Chivas home games is to subscribe to this channel, which is a characteristically bold move.

Some argue that this approach restricts access by the poorer and older supporters who may not be able to afford a subscription or internet access to watch on their laptops or phones. To counter this, the club have offered different levels of coverage, allowing less affluent fans reduced prices for games on delay, for example. At the moment the club do not release viewing figures or revenues but many clubs, including Boca Juniors, are watching carefully to see how this model works.

As Mexican football attracts a larger television audience in USA than any other football league, including the Premier League, it has solid foundations from which to grow – some clubs receive more income from their US deal than their domestic one. The next step for Mexican clubs is to attract viewers – and sell broadcast rights – in Europe. Chivas’ pre-season friendly with Arsenal in Los Angeles showed the league’s intentions. “Mexican football exists in a bubble and is doing absolutely fine as it is,” says Marshall. “But to make the next step they need to burst that bubble and open up to new ideas that may shake the existing order.”

As Mexican football stands at the crossroads, a concerted effort is required to make an impact outside the Americas. The test of its success will be when more people can name the fourth best attended league in the world.

Can only be a good thing to build up relationships throughout the world.

If we get young players from there, hopefully they can progress with us and we can sell on for a nice profit.

Be interesting to send some lads over there for the footballing experience, different style etc.

I'd assume there'd be too many cultural/ language barriers for them to cross though.

Good idea i reckon if we do link up with Chivas we could unearth a few gems possibly and further our brand potentially over in Mexico.

I wonder if Chivas get endless flak from their media(Scottish style) for not fielding non Mexicans.

Could David Bates be their first "high profile" signing.

Sell us your best players and if they are any good they'll go to the EPL with a sell-on fee. We can raise your profile in Europe..

The club has tried this before with an Australian team waste of time.

Ah well, we may as well not bother with any attempt to forge productive relationships with other clubs, increase our exposure world wide, and attempt to share ideas that may just make us a better football club. It didn't work once, so it will never work.

Can only be good to get friendly with clubs from around the world. Helps to increased exposure of the club and mabey get some good up and coming players from them.

Be interesting to send some lads over there for the footballing experience, different style etc.

I'd assume there'd be too many cultural/ language barriers for them to cross though.

Always Doritos... ;)

Great to hear we are thinking outwardly and trying some different ideas. Any small benefit that may come to us makes it a worthwhile venture if indeed that is what it is.

Hopefully more sucessful than our relationship with Shenzhen, even though that did produce a very nice orange top.

And who can forget the fruitful link-up with Northern Spirit?

I'm not a fan of these types of things generally but there's no denying having a professional relationship with one of the best-supported clubs in a country of 130 million people could bring us some exposure in an emerging market.

There will be plenty of folk there following our results now simply because we have the two Mexican boys on the books.

I was more interested in hearing their chairman is worth £1.5 billion. Maybe possible investment?

And who can forget the fruitful link-up with Northern Spirit?

I'm not a fan of these types of things generally but there's no denying having a professional relationship with one of the best-supported clubs in a country of 130 million people could bring us some exposure in an emerging market.

There will be plenty of folk there following our results now simply because we have the two Mexican boys on the books.

I actually had!

I'm open to most ideas if it there for the benefit of our Club/team.

Chivas, dont play non Mexicans. So that rules out the send some of ours over there thing.
TBH but, they are a massive club over there and in the whole of the Americas. Their fan base worldwide as well probably outdoes us if we are honest.

Unsure what any link up would be, it could only be them pumping some cash into us given their status.

I was more interested in hearing their chairman is worth £1.5 billion. Maybe possible investment?

Yes indeed. This was the single most interesting fact for me also.

I'm all for Rangers forging positive links with clubs where that can benefit Rangers. I see 3 possibilities here.
1. We persuade their chairman to invest a mere £100m of his fortune.
2. We get unlimited access to their supporter database to build a massive Mexico Loyal fanbase and revenue stream.
3. We get first option on Chivas players when they want to move to Europe, including a sell on %.

More fuel for timmys lunatic conspiracy theory about the cartel running us. Just wait for ill Phil's next blog.

Learned friends I have it on good authority that the cartels grip on Rangers is tightening........
It is true, our grip becomes tighter by the day :cool:

I'm all for the club trying to explore different avenues, so it's a positive we're looking into things rather than standing still. It might now come to anything, but no harm trying.

Back