Rangers interested in Souttar?

Doesn’t change the fact we can only register 17 non-Scottish trained players, to be fair.

I’d be taking Souttar as he’s probably the best Scottish centre half we can get, although I’d rather we just promoted Mayo.

Do all we can to avoid a Bassey at centre back scenario again.
I'll go with promoting mayo. Time we stopped wrapping our kids up in cotton wool. They can only improve by being involved.

Souttar is head and shoulders above Mayo. On current form, Souttar is the best centre half in the league (overall it’s Filip Helander). I think there’s an argument to be had that Souttar is Scotland’s best centre half.
Don’t necessarily disagree, but I’d be looking for us to try Upgrade on Goldson/Helander in the summer (easier said than done).

Then have an academy graduate as 4th choice that we can develop whilst occasionally playing, Mayo is 5 years younger and either needs to be involved next season, or go on a top flight loan.

I don’t think Souttar is much better than Balogun to be honest, which isn’t a criticism as he’s a player I’ve liked since his United days.

I'd be happy with him to take on the Edmundson/ Simpson role.

But we really need at least 2 central defenders baring in mind Goldson will be leaving as will Balogun in all liklihood. Helander is injured an awful lot and Simpson isn't even close to good enough.

Why are some talking about Doehki and Souttar likes it an either one or the other?

Come the end of the season we could very well require 3 new CBs. Goldson is 99% off, Balogun probably leaves at the end of his deal, Simpson is poor and Katic post injury on loan seems to have regressed massively. That only leaves Helander.

Getting a homegrown CB of Souttar's quality on a free transfer (or small fee in January) and relatively low wage would be very good business. Yes his injury record is worrying and he'll need to be managed but Balogun and Helander are in similar positions and have been used well. He is has similar quality on the ball and passing to Goldson and counts as something we direly need to add... Homegrown players.

If we could sign Doehki and Souttar on Bosman's or small fees in January (selling Goldson to pay their fees), I would consider that absolutely fantastic business. 2 quality players for little to no money and one on smallish wages.

Also remember we will need a CB in January. Balogun (& potentially Bassey) are away until atleast the beginning of February. Balogun will probably play every game for Nigeria and probably won't be in a state to play as many games as he is now upon his return.

A wee bit gutted about that one OP, think he could have developed into the next Ryan Jack.
Me too.
Argued with a few on here after we were poor against Malmo then watched him against Galatasaray away I think it was and he had everything our midfield lacked in that game.
The FF snobs told me he played for St Johnstone and wasn't Rangers class though.

Me too.
Argued with a few on here after we were poor against Malmo then watched him against Galatasaray away I think it was and he had everything our midfield lacked in that game.
The FF snobs told me he played for St Johnstone and wasn't Rangers class though.

He was absolutely everywhere that night. MOTM for me.

Or he’s sat down with the relevant people to look at previously identified areas that need improvement and players identified that could provide that improvement. And agreed
I'm sure he will at some point but would he have done that now? 3 days into a new job with a massive European game on day 4. This is a 2 + 2 article imo.

Our priority needs to be Doehki and while Soutter is an option, we shouldn't be paying ridicoulos money on him. I have no doubt the filth will try a Scott Allan with him to prevent him coming to us.
Technically we can sign him in Dec but he can't play until the 1st of Jan. Not sure if he can train though.
We definitely need to fast track Mayo and give him game time, but that's a risk.

End of the day we need some Scottish players in the squad to meet our euro quotas.

If we aren't going to promote some young Scottish players to the first team for the task then signings like Souttar make sense.
Lewis mayo would be a better option
Souttar is head and shoulders above Mayo. On current form, Souttar is the best centre half in the league (overall it’s Filip Helander). I think there’s an argument to be had that Souttar is Scotland’s best centre half.
best centre half in the league bar helander ‍♂️ He’s not even better than balogun or goldson

Would rather we get Doekhi who's highly rated but if we get Souttar too at least that adds to the Scottish quota.

Just saw the article on BBC website (spit)

John Souttar: Hearts will need 'huge bid' to sell in January - Robbie Neilson​

Huge bid?... 6 months to go on contract... lol.

A goal for Scotland and now suddenly a world beater. He is average and looks overweight. Throw in the serious injury concerns and it would be a massive gamble.

Either way Hearts will weakened next season when he’s gone! Although still time for Hearts to announce he’s got a new two year deal.

Is he not injured that much we'd get more appearances out of his reverse namesake, 'Souter Johnnie', Rabbie Burns' mate?

Latest posts

Back