Rangers International - England (Before opening the thread can you name the 7 English players who were capped while playing for Rangers?)

MrBearightside

Got them all. On a side note, Gazza played for England for 2 years after the date it states and was still with us for most of that.

English.. and capped while at us?

Or all capped English players who have played for us? Like Defoe.
Podcast was on 6 of the best to have played for us - all were discussed along with others so was just a case of thinking on who had been capped whilst with us.

Quite amazing they were all over that tight 9 year period post heysel and the start of the Murray reign.

Wonder if we will ever see another one?

Snap. I thought maybe Trevor Francis for the other one but Walter's escaped me (as he did many a defender...).

Francis, Wilkins, Spackman, Hurlock and Gordon were the options and I felt Spackman was probably most likely to pick up a single cap in a nothing game based on his age. But I suspected it was going to be someone from way before my time. But gutted I never got Walters.

I went for Mel Sterland as outsider instead of Walters as I remember pictures with him in England kit.

Just checked Wikipedia and found out his only cap was before he played for us. DOH!

Was Walters' only cap not some meaningless away friendly that the vast majority of squad regulars had pulled out of?

Somewhere miles away like New Zealand.

Like most I got all but Walters. Was thinking maybe Spackman, Roberts or Rod Wallace for the seventh.

Got them all bar Walters. Couldn’t think of a 7th player to get capped so went for Spackman even though I knew he almost certainly didn’t.

If the home nations has adopted the “grandparent rule“ earlier then Spackman would have been capped by Scotland.

Butcher
Wilkins
Woods
Gazza
Walters
Hateley

Cant think of the 7th, Michael ball? Fox in the box jeffers?

Got all 7 in that one.

What are the figures in the last column? Number of caps while playing for Rangers? Or overall number of caps? Assuming it must be the former.

Racking my brains, but I couldn't remember Walters and Hateley being capped while playing for us. A lot of water under bridge, I suppose.

Got them all bar Walters. Couldn’t think of a 7th player to get capped so went for Spackman even though I knew he almost certainly didn’t.
If I’m not mistaken Spackman was rumoured to have a bit of Scots in the family and was linked with a Scotland call up.

For the first time ever I got all 7 and I didn't google or cheat.

I'm normally about a 4 or 5 out of 10 man with these types of things. :D

Back