Rangers kids Nathan Patterson and Kai Kennedy reflect on 'unbelievable' debuts!

George Goudie

Official Ticketer
Rangers kids Nathan Patterson and Kai Kennedy reflect on 'unbelievable' debuts!

The youngsters were excited to have reached the milestone against Stranraer in the Scottish Cup on Friday. Nathan Patterson made his Rangers debut against Stranraer on Friday night but he doesn't plan on stopping there.
The right-back impressed during his first piece of competitive action in the 2-0 Scottish Cup win at Ibrox as they reached the fifth round.

Patterson was handed a start after his excellent performance in Rangers' 6-1 winter break friendly win over Lokomotiv Tashkent in Dubai and an injury to skipper James Tavernier .
And the youngster was delighted to finally make his bow and hopes to kick on from here as he aims to break into the first team.

He told STV : “It was surreal, walking out in front of 40,000 fans for the club I love, it was just a great feeling.
“Over in Dubai I just did my best, I got a start against Lokomotiv Tashkent and played well.

“I’d hoped that would be enough to get the starting place against Stranraer.

“I’m just taking each day as it comes, doing my best and hopefully I can take any opportunity that comes my way.
“I’ve shown I can play in front of 40,000 fans and more, it’s what I want to be doing.
“I always try to make an impression, no matter if he’s in the team or not. I just need to do what I need to do and hopefully I can go far.
“I’ve been here for 10 years, I’ve now made my debut and want to keep pushing on.”

Fellow academy graduate Kai Kennedy also made his debut as he replaced Joe Aribo for the final nine minutes of the 2-0 win.
The playmaker was delighted to reach the important milestone and said it was a dream come true to share the occasion with Patterson.
He added: It was a dream come true, that’s the moment I’ve been working for over the last seven, eight years.
“The nerves and excitement were unbelievable.

“We’ve grown up together so I was proud of him and he was proud of me, it was great.

“The two of us drive together every day, we do everything together and it was a dream come true for both of us.”

Attitudes of both sound absolutely spot on. Theyve got a taste of what could be their future, good luck to them both and hopefully we see some of their teammates joining them in the not too distant future. Living the dream!

These two are not alone as there are a few others who could also get a chance since at long last there seems to be some sort of coordination between the youth and first team set ups.

Great to see boys coming through, hope they keep the head when they aren’t involved week in week out and realise if they keep pushing on then the chances will become more and more frequent

I thought Kai was unlucky not to get on a little quicker, but he showed some good touches. Will be hard for him to get minutes this year with the league so tight

Best of pals and living the dream what exciting times for these two imagine if they were your son how proud they’re parents must of been watching them make their debut.

Patterson could be a good full back in the future but I think he lacks a bit of pace for that position then again Tavernier is really quick

Back