Rangers legend Kris Boyd jokes he left Ryan Kent out his Team of the Week to give him a REST

BlueMeanie

KRIS BOYD takes his SunSport Team of the Week seriously.
Not only does the Rangers and Kilmarnock legend analyse goals, assists, clean sheets, overall performance and team shape.
Ryan Kent celebrates after scoring for Rangers
Ryan Kent celebrates after scoring for Rangers
When it comes to his weekly selections of the best XI Premiership players and top manager, the Sky Sports pundit even worries about burnout!
Boyd went for a 3-5-2 formation this week which saw Kilmarnock’s Gary Dicker anchor a midfield that included St Mirren’s Jake Doyle-Hayes who scored his first goal in over a year, Hibs winger Jamie Murphy and Gers pair James Tavernier and Scott Arfield.
Up front SunSport columnist Boyd paired Kemar Roofe with Nicky Clark, who hit a double in Dundee United’s 2-1 win over Hamilton.
Each player earned their place by making key contributions to their teams - but as all managers know it’s impossible to keep every player and every fan happy.

One Instagram follower asked why Ryan Kent hadn’t earned a spot after notching a goal and an assist in Gers’ 4-0 win over Aberdeen.
Quick as a flash, Boyd responded by saying: “Rested him this week, he’s been in every week .”
Kent has had a highly impressive season so far.
His six goals and seven assists in all competitions have regularly earned him a spot in Boyd’s Team of the Week which is posted every Monday on SunSport’s Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages.

He had gone ten games without a goal before finding the net in the thumping win over the Dons.
Boyd believes that even when he isn’t directly involved in goals Kent, 24, is always a key man for Steven Gerrard and a constant threat to opposing defences.
And he insists there will be much more to come from the former Liverpool youngster as he continues to mature as a player and learn his trade at Ibrox.
Boyd said: “A lot of people look only at numbers - goals and assists.
Sky Sports pundit Kris Boyd
Sky Sports pundit Kris Boyd
“But with Ryan Kent, while he might not always be directly involved in assists and goals all of the time he is always an integral part of what Rangers want to do.
“People are always quick to go to numbers, and they have been down recently, but he is always one of the main men for Rangers and that is down to his ability as a player.
“Ryan Kent is one of the best we have seen in a Rangers jersey.
“And that’s down to his speed of movement, he makes things happen.
“There is a lot more to come from him too.
“As he gets older he’ll mature as a player and his game will change.
“We’ve already seen him maturing during his time at Rangers.

“He’ll play one-twos and pass rather than take players on all the time.
“Whenever he does decide to leave Rangers it will be for a lot of money.
“But he has his head screwed on. There was interest from Leeds United last summer but he decided to stay at Rangers.
“Now the club and the player are both reaping the benefits of that.”

Ryan Kent is a terrific player but I think Boydy is trolling with this quote

"Ryan Kent is one of the best we have seen in a Rangers jersey".

I think legend is pushing it a wee bit.
Always up for debate what players are classed as legend. I think to be a Rangers legend you have to be up there with the best players we gave ever had so I agree Boyd isn't quite that. Ridiculous goal record though so deserves to be recognised as a very good Rangers player for me.

Always up for debate what players are classed as legend. I think to be a Rangers legend you have to be up there with the best players we gave ever had so I agree Boyd isn't quite that. Ridiculous goal record though so deserves to be recognised as a very good Rangers player for me.

Absolutely this but not a legend IMHO.

“But with Ryan Kent, while he might not always be directly involved in assists and goals all of the time he is always an integral part of what Rangers want to do."

Bang on this. Take him out of the team and it would be considerably weaker.

The most talented player at the club.

Boydy is becoming very good at pressing the correct buttons.
I'm liking his style.
I was one of his harshest critics, only because I thought he could do so much better if he applied himself and got fitter, but he's fair turned it around, the big cheeky handsome bastard :))

Kent will leave for £20-25M easy in the next year or so.
Depends on what level of club comes in for him. He might prefer a couple of seasons having a crack at Champions League qualification before taking the money at a mid table Premiership club. Just because a bid is accepted, doesn't mean the player wants to, or needs to go.

Back