Rangers legend Laudrup brands Celtic ‘clueless’ and ‘weak’ as he hails huge asset Glen Kamara

BlueMeanie

BRIAN LAUDRUP reckons Celtic were clueless against Rangers - and can't recall the Hoops looking as weak in a derby performance.

Connor Goldson grabbed a double as Steven Gerrard's men defeated their Old Firm rivals 2-0 at Parkhead on Saturday.

Rangers ace Kamara put in a man of the match display against Celtic
Rangers ace Kamara put in a man of the match display against CelticCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
The result puts the Light Blues four points clear of the Hoops in the Premiership table - having played a game more.

Laudrup reserved special praise for Rangers star Glen Kamara for his performance at Celtic Park and says his £50,000 purchase from Dundee is 'daylight robbery' and he will go on to command a big fee is he was to ever be sold.

And the Rangers idol reckons the 'flawless' Finland international sets himself apart from the opposition with his decision-making.

Writing in his Daily Mail column, he said: "I thought [Glen] Kamara was the best player on the park in the Old Firm game. Just outstanding. He was crucial to the control Rangers had.

"That control left Celtic looking pretty clueless at points in their attempts to produce an attacking threat. Even in my own time in Scotland, I don't think I can recall them looking as weak in a derby performance.

"That must be very worrying for boss Neil Lennon right now.

Rangers ran out 2-0 winners at Celtic Park
Rangers ran out 2-0 winners at Celtic ParkCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
"But their failings - and the players they had missing - shouldn't take anything away from the composure and professionalism shown by Gerrard's team."

Kamara has earned plenty plaudits since his arrival from Dundee.

The Finland international is one of the first names on the team-sheet for both club and country these days.

And Laudrup reckons an impressive Euro finals could see Rangers offered a massive fee to take him away from Ibrox.

Goldson wheels away after netting for Rangers against Celtic
Goldson wheels away after netting for Rangers against Celtic Credit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
He added: "I know Connor Goldson scored both goals and deserved a lot of praise, but Kamara was flawless in his role.

"If you didn't know much about him and looked at stats in terms of goals and assists, you would wonder what the fuss was about. But football is much more complex than those basic numbers.

"Kamara's decision-making sets him apart. It is exceptional when he is at his best. On Saturday, his footballing brain was in top gear to run beside his technical qualities.

"The most difficult thing in the game is to keep it simple. It's a cliché, but true nonetheless. Kamara's patience on the ball, his movement into space and his pass selection were all top class.

Rangers hero Laudrup reckons Kamara will continue to get better and better
Rangers hero Laudrup reckons Kamara will continue to get better and betterCredit: Keith Campbell - The Sun Glasgow
"I just think you saw on Saturday that he is adding another layer to his game. He is not just a midfield anchor who keeps things ticking over.

"The fact Kamara only cost £50,000 from Dundee in January 2019 is always brought up. And, yes, it was daylight robbery. I'm sure Gerrard still can't quite believe it.

"It's very difficult to put a price tag on him now because I don't think Rangers would really consider selling this season. Not from what Gerrard has said.

"One thing is certain, through. Midfield players of his age, his ability, his work-rate and his vision will always be extremely attractive to very good clubs in England or in Europe. And they usually command big fees.

"Kamara's value will only rise further if he continues to impress for Finland at Euro 2020 next summer."

Rangers are back in action on Thursday night when they kick off their Europa League group stage campaign.

The Light Blues travel to Belgium to face Standard Liege before turning their attentions to Premiership duty against Livingston on Sunday as they look to build on Saturday's derby win over Celtic.

Probably not the thread for it but, this coming summer may be the optimum time to cash in on Kamara. We talk and talk about the model of buying low and selling high but we've yet to do it. We actually need to at some point to make the club profitable and to stop needing money in from investors.

Probably not the thread for it but, this coming summer may be the optimum time to cash in on Kamara. We talk and talk about the model of buying low and selling high but we've yet to do it. We actually need to at some point to make the club profitable and to stop needing money in from investors.
Champions League football means it is prize money we start spending, Kamara stays

Laudrup makes a good point re Kamara’s “football brain”.

Gerrard is looking for intelligent footballers as a long term strategy, hand we have a few of them now. Our rivals are still largely in the Heid it and Hoof it category.

Some of his movement on Saturday was exquisite. Slight drops of the shoulder, direction change, disguised passes, looked way better than anything around him

What’s Kamara worth now?

More than we can afford and for that credit has to go to the scouting, recruitment and management team.

There are a number of players in our team now that have a value higher than we could afford to pay for them and that's the way it should be if your model is to buy low, sell high.

Morelos, Barasic, Kent, Kamara and Tav would all go likely go for more money than we could afford to spend on their replacement. Good going when you consider we've not won any trophies, fans have shown patience (on the whole), and board have back the management team.

Kamara is a joy to watch, the pass that took 3 of them out the game in second half was thing of beauty.

Winning the league will have a bigger effect on Kamara's value than doing well at the Euros.

Top top man, gets better looking with age as well, unlike Kanchelskis.:eek:

TELEMMGLPICT000147550288-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

Two things, no three actually.

BL is more than a legend.

Do Dundee have a sell on fee?

WTF is Broon doing in that photo?

*Edit, if you click on the article there is a photo of Goldson after he scores, with Broon in the background.

We’ll be banking that CL cash next summer

More than we can afford and for that credit has to go to the scouting, recruitment and management team.

There are a number of players in our team now that have a value higher than we could afford to pay for them and that's the way it should be if your model is to buy low, sell high.

Morelos, Barasic, Kent, Kamara and Tav would all go likely go for more money than we could afford to spend on their replacement. Good going when you consider we've not won any trophies, fans have shown patience (on the whole), and board have back the management team.

Kamara is a joy to watch, the pass that took 3 of them out the game in second half was thing of beauty.

Great post ASW.

Despite missing Aribo out.

Dundee phoned us to offer him for 50k in last day of that window after we signed him pre contract. There is no sell on. They literally had no bargaining room.
This pleases me.

Both that they have nothing to look forward too, when the time comes for us to sell and that we left them feeling used.

Cheers GY!

No idea how I could have missed Aribo, young boy will make us a fortune when he leaves with a whole bunch of medals in his pocket!

Cheers mate.

Great point, but I knew you wouldn’t want big Joe out of your list.

Massive potential, if the hammer throwers of Livingston & St Johnstone would stop injuring him ASW.

Having always liked Kamara I am so chuffed for him that many on here and Laudrup himself are recognising his talent. He's been guilty of being slack in dangerous positions before but I think now that Davis is taking up that deeper role it means Glen is doing these things in the opponents half which means when it doesn't come off its not costing us.

This 50k thing bugs me (more than it should in truth).

We bought out the last 6 months of his contract to get him in earlier, rather than sign him for nothing on a pre-contract and have to wait. Nothing more, nothing less. It has no bearing on his actual value as a player. By the same logic, someone could say, we spent 50k on a player we were about to sign for nowt and it was a waste of money. Both imo would be wrong.

The irony is, if we had waited and got him on a free, then hardly anything would be made about this 'transfer fee' (contract fee more like). But because the amount is so low, it gets banded about, out of context, and exagerrated out of all proportion as if we got a 'steal'. We were getting a steal anyway.

In short, the real truth is, we didn't pay 50k for Kamara. We paid 50k to get Kamara a few months early and thats it.

Don't know why it bothers me so much. I guess it feels like he is being devalued in some way and it's disrespectful to him. Not that I care about them, but it's also disrespectful to Dundee, as though they let a player go for buttons, when the reality is, they were just getting some money in for someone they were about to lose for nothing anyway.

It was a just great piece of business by the club all round. But the 50k fee has nothing to do with it.

This 50k thing bugs me (more than it should in truth).

We bought out the last 6 months of his contract to get him in earlier, rather than sign him for nothing on a pre-contract and have to wait. Nothing more, nothing less. It has no bearing on his actual value as a player. By the same logic, someone could say, we spent 50k on a player we were about to sign for nowt and it was a waste of money. Both imo would be wrong.

The irony is, if we had waited and got him on a free, then hardly anything would be made about this 'transfer fee' (contract fee more like). But because the amount is so low, it gets banded about, out of context, and exagerrated out of all proportion as if we got a 'steal'. We were getting a steal anyway.

In short, the real truth is, we didn't pay 50k for Kamara. We paid 50k to get Kamara a few months early and thats it.

Don't know why it bothers me so much. I guess it feels like he is being devalued in some way and it's disrespectful to him. Not that I care about them, but it's also disrespectful to Dundee, as though they let a player go for buttons, when the reality is, they were just getting some money in for someone they were about to lose for nothing anyway.

It was a just great piece of business by the club all round. But the 50k fee has nothing to do with it.

So we paid 50k for him then lol

All seriousness I get your point we had him for free and paid the money wisely in my opinion to give him a fee months to bed in

I agreed with someone saying pretty much the same thing in the close season.

Now hopefully he is with us for a few years

Having always liked Kamara I am so chuffed for him that many on here and Laudrup himself are recognising his talent. He's been guilty of being slack in dangerous positions before but I think now that Davis is taking up that deeper role it means Glen is doing these things in the opponents half which means when it doesn't come off its not costing us.

We could all see the talent to be fair JW, but he’s already improved on his physicality, he seems stronger mentally now, and he’s beginning to hurt teams more too.

Brilliant attitude to secure such an improvement, and a great example of our management team’s Player development abilities.

Back