Rangers legend Laudrup brands Celtic ‘clueless’ and ‘weak’ as he hails huge asset Glen Kamara

I liked that there was no valuation in that article.

The usual suspects placing ridiculously low, off the top of their head, valuations as a ceiling, guessing what we would be lucky to get, shown up by someone with a brain.

He is still God.

I wish that the 'egos in the academy' would realise the opportunity to learn from some of the very best could be the making of them.

Hopefully the young lads in the squad make the most of it.

Yes, excellent point HB.

These are guys in the first eleven, yet they are showing a desire to improve.

As well as Glen, Aribo, Kent, Morelos have all significantly improved under Gerrard.

Probably not the thread for it but, this coming summer may be the optimum time to cash in on Kamara. We talk and talk about the model of buying low and selling high but we've yet to do it. We actually need to at some point to make the club profitable and to stop needing money in from investors.
Sod that. Make a profit from selling Morelos. Probably won't get near 20m but will still turn a good profit.

BRIAN LAUDRUP reckons Celtic were clueless against Rangers - and can't recall the Hoops looking as weak in a derby performance.

Connor Goldson grabbed a double as Steven Gerrard's men defeated their Old Firm rivals 2-0 at Parkhead on Saturday.

Rangers ace Kamara put in a man of the match display against Celtic
Rangers ace Kamara put in a man of the match display against CelticCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
The result puts the Light Blues four points clear of the Hoops in the Premiership table - having played a game more.

Laudrup reserved special praise for Rangers star Glen Kamara for his performance at Celtic Park and says his £50,000 purchase from Dundee is 'daylight robbery' and he will go on to command a big fee is he was to ever be sold.

And the Rangers idol reckons the 'flawless' Finland international sets himself apart from the opposition with his decision-making.

Writing in his Daily Mail column, he said: "I thought [Glen] Kamara was the best player on the park in the Old Firm game. Just outstanding. He was crucial to the control Rangers had.

"That control left Celtic looking pretty clueless at points in their attempts to produce an attacking threat. Even in my own time in Scotland, I don't think I can recall them looking as weak in a derby performance.

"That must be very worrying for boss Neil Lennon right now.

Rangers ran out 2-0 winners at Celtic Park
Rangers ran out 2-0 winners at Celtic ParkCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
"But their failings - and the players they had missing - shouldn't take anything away from the composure and professionalism shown by Gerrard's team."

Kamara has earned plenty plaudits since his arrival from Dundee.

The Finland international is one of the first names on the team-sheet for both club and country these days.

And Laudrup reckons an impressive Euro finals could see Rangers offered a massive fee to take him away from Ibrox.

Goldson wheels away after netting for Rangers against Celtic
Goldson wheels away after netting for Rangers against Celtic Credit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
He added: "I know Connor Goldson scored both goals and deserved a lot of praise, but Kamara was flawless in his role.

"If you didn't know much about him and looked at stats in terms of goals and assists, you would wonder what the fuss was about. But football is much more complex than those basic numbers.

"Kamara's decision-making sets him apart. It is exceptional when he is at his best. On Saturday, his footballing brain was in top gear to run beside his technical qualities.

"The most difficult thing in the game is to keep it simple. It's a cliché, but true nonetheless. Kamara's patience on the ball, his movement into space and his pass selection were all top class.

Rangers hero Laudrup reckons Kamara will continue to get better and better
Rangers hero Laudrup reckons Kamara will continue to get better and betterCredit: Keith Campbell - The Sun Glasgow
"I just think you saw on Saturday that he is adding another layer to his game. He is not just a midfield anchor who keeps things ticking over.

"The fact Kamara only cost £50,000 from Dundee in January 2019 is always brought up. And, yes, it was daylight robbery. I'm sure Gerrard still can't quite believe it.

"It's very difficult to put a price tag on him now because I don't think Rangers would really consider selling this season. Not from what Gerrard has said.

"One thing is certain, through. Midfield players of his age, his ability, his work-rate and his vision will always be extremely attractive to very good clubs in England or in Europe. And they usually command big fees.

"Kamara's value will only rise further if he continues to impress for Finland at Euro 2020 next summer."

Rangers are back in action on Thursday night when they kick off their Europa League group stage campaign.

The Light Blues travel to Belgium to face Standard Liege before turning their attentions to Premiership duty against Livingston on Sunday as they look to build on Saturday's derby win over Celtic.
No suprise the great one is spot on.

The amount of folk on here who didn't rate Kamara and wanted him punted for a few million was frightening.

Probably the same ones who said that our midfield was the weakest part of our team and Davis and Arfield's "legs had gone."

Not surprisingly, I don't see much of that nonsense getting spouted now.

No suprise the great one is spot on.

The amount of folk on here who didn't rate Kamara and wanted him punted for a few million was frightening.

Probably the same ones who said that our midfield was the weakest part of our team and Davis and Arfield's "legs had gone."

Not surprisingly, I don't see much of that nonsense getting spouted now.
Still early days . Davis was 1 of the best, if not the best player in Scotland up until January.
Then form fell off a cliff. He was not alone in that.
Arfield full Rangers career has been periods of being really good to periods of mediocrity.
I think it's "nonsense" to be judging our midfield and what it's done up until mid October.

Still early days . Davis was 1 of the best, if not the best player in Scotland up until January.
Then form fell off a cliff. He was not alone in that.
Arfield full Rangers career has been periods of being really good to mediocrity. I think it's "nonsense" to be judging our midfield and what it's done up until mid October.

What is nonsense is saying they were "done", or are the weakest part of our team.

From McGregor to Morelos, the whole team's form deteriorated after the break last season.

We have played a quarter of our League games, as well as negotiating past some very difficult opponents to make the Europa group stages.

Our midfield has dominated every single game we've played, yet we still had some "experts" saying we need a McCrorie or Lewis Ferguson in there to toughen us up, which would be laughable if it wasn't so ridiculous.

With Davis, Kamara, Jack, Arfield, Aribo and now Zungu all competing for 3 positions, it's a seriously strong department of our side and way ahead of our rivals.

Kamara is the jewel in the crown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone is starting to put the boot into the scum now and its not a moment too soon.

Continue to apply the heat and watch them burn.

Yes get that. But we also need to look at a model of actually moving players on at the optimum time. I think there's now a reasonable chance that time has passed for Morelos. Ajax regularly play in CL but also sell players at same time for good money.
Our optimum time is about 2 seasons from now I would think.

All depends on how much the offer is rite enuf.

Yes, excellent point HB.

These are guys in the first eleven, yet they are showing a desire to improve.

As well as Glen, Aribo, Kent, Morelos have all significantly improved under Gerrard.
Even the Captain is getting praise for upping his game.

If you are a player, of any level, and our current management team tell you something the wise amongst them will listen.

Even the Captain is getting praise for upping his game.

If you are a player, of any level, and our current management team tell you something the wise amongst them will listen.

Yes, it’s been a joy to see Tav back at his best HB. He’s an athlete & also an artist when at his peak.

Another few have been playing consistently top notch this season - Goldson, Helander, Arfield.

Yes, it’s been a joy to see Tav back at his best HB. He’s an athlete & also an artist when at his peak.

Another few have been playing consistently top notch this season - Goldson, Helander, Arfield.
Tav set the bar so high for his performances in 18/19 it was ridiculous. Probably suffered from that last season and got a bit of stick despite being generally good.

I really do think that Tav has been better than he was in 18/19 this season and is performing at a superb level. Hopefully I haven’t jinxed it!!

Tav set the bar so high for his performances in 18/19 it was ridiculous. Probably suffered from that last season and got a bit of stick despite being generally good.

I really do think that Tav has been better than he was in 18/19 this season and is performing at a superb level. Hopefully I haven’t jinxed it!!

Id agree with you NDC.

He seems to have put the great attacking & a much more mature defender together.

Yes get that. But we also need to look at a model of actually moving players on at the optimum time. I think there's now a reasonable chance that time has passed for Morelos. Ajax regularly play in CL but also sell players at same time for good money.
I don't think it would be the 'optimum' time for Glen. If we were to get CL football then he would be one we would need to consider keeping. It would suit his game and help us greatly at that level.

Might be the 'optimum' time for someone like Goldson though.

I don't think it would be the 'optimum' time for Glen. If we were to get CL football then he would be one we would need to consider keeping. It would suit his game and help us greatly at that level.

Might be the 'optimum' time for someone like Goldson though.
Unless Goldson signs a new deal he will be going into his last year.

Unless Goldson signs a new deal he will be going into his last year.
We really need to sort that out. But either way, summer could be the right time to sell him, if, we want to turn a profit on him.

I would imagine you sit down and talk to the player and see what they want. If you have top performers happy and they see their future with us then great.

But someone like Goldson, playing in a position we are very well covered in, at his age, English, quality CB, European experience.

A move could be profitable for, and suit both parties. Like you say, that is meant to be the model.

This 50k thing bugs me (more than it should in truth).

We bought out the last 6 months of his contract to get him in earlier, rather than sign him for nothing on a pre-contract and have to wait. Nothing more, nothing less. It has no bearing on his actual value as a player. By the same logic, someone could say, we spent 50k on a player we were about to sign for nowt and it was a waste of money. Both imo would be wrong.

The irony is, if we had waited and got him on a free, then hardly anything would be made about this 'transfer fee' (contract fee more like). But because the amount is so low, it gets banded about, out of context, and exagerrated out of all proportion as if we got a 'steal'. We were getting a steal anyway.

In short, the real truth is, we didn't pay 50k for Kamara. We paid 50k to get Kamara a few months early and thats it.

Don't know why it bothers me so much. I guess it feels like he is being devalued in some way and it's disrespectful to him. Not that I care about them, but it's also disrespectful to Dundee, as though they let a player go for buttons, when the reality is, they were just getting some money in for someone they were about to lose for nothing anyway.

It was a just great piece of business by the club all round. But the 50k fee has nothing to do with it.
Yeah but having the actual value means you can do fun calculations like say Kamara cost 90 times less than Ntcham (£4.5m) and look at the difference in performance on Saturday!

Probably not the thread for it but, this coming summer may be the optimum time to cash in on Kamara. We talk and talk about the model of buying low and selling high but we've yet to do it. We actually need to at some point to make the club profitable and to stop needing money in from investors.
I think in recent past GK has been classed as the "easy option" to sell and I think we as supporters based that on GK last year as opposed to now. He has kicked on enormously this season and the fact that he's capable of performances like that on Sunday will make it more and more and difficult swallow once he is sold. Im really looking forward to watching him tomorrow night I have to say.

More than we can afford and for that credit has to go to the scouting, recruitment and management team.

There are a number of players in our team now that have a value higher than we could afford to pay for them and that's the way it should be if your model is to buy low, sell high.

Morelos, Barasic, Kent, Kamara and Tav would all go likely go for more money than we could afford to spend on their replacement. Good going when you consider we've not won any trophies, fans have shown patience (on the whole), and board have back the management team.

Kamara is a joy to watch, the pass that took 3 of them out the game in second half was thing of beauty.
Id be tempted to add Helander and Goldson to that list. I know we spent decent money on Fil but if the rats reckon Ajer is 20M then what's the big man now worth?

Could be right but I would rather build a strong team before starting to sell it off.
Up to me I'd keep all our best players. But we've talked about the model buy low sell high being the way to make the club self sufficient for years now. We actually do need to start selling players for decent money to make that work.

Up to me I'd keep all our best players. But we've talked about the model buy low sell high being the way to make the club self sufficient for years now. We actually do need to start selling players for decent money to make that work.
Timing is going to be everything. Last summer when Kamara was first being linked with Clubs down in England the valuation seemed to be around 8 million max, there were few dissenters amongst us at that price. Conversely most of us (including the club) were turning our noses up at 16 million for Alfie. 6 to 9 months later, form changes and the valuations are almost reversed. On current form we might still get 10+ for Alfie but he needs goals urgently. Ross Wilson's job is not easy.

Agreed but I reckon we need to strengthen a few areas before we start selling. I know if got 10-15 million for a player we would be taking it but I want 55 under our belts first before we take any risks.

Glen Kamara has been terrific at international level for some time now, a midfield trio of him Zungu and Aribo is mouth watering, if Glen can cut out the occasional slack pass we will have some player on our hands

Back