Rangers legend Smith says Gerrard and co seeing full impact of Goldson now he has settled in

BlueMeanie

WALTER SMITH relied on Richard Gough and Davie Weir as defensive titans during his trophy-laden eras at Rangers.
His team were often accused of playing “anti-football” and it’s fair to say he is fond of a miserly defence.
Steven Gerrard and Connor GGoldson

So the ex-Scotland boss is appreciative of the Rangers rearguard this season.
Steven Gerrard’s defence have conceded only three times in 15 Premiership games — twice to Hibs and once in a Fir Park thrashing of Motherwell.
Only Benfica and Galatasaray have breached Rangers in their Europa League ties since August.
Connor Goldson is the ever-present at the heart of it all and Smith likes what he sees in the 27-year-old.
Gers legend Walter Smith

He said: “Connor’s done well since coming to Ibrox and I don’t think you can say this is just something that’s happened this season.
“Like every other player it takes a wee bit of time to settle in. And sometimes when you’re a defender it’s a wee bit harder than other areas of the pitch.
“But Connor has been terrific and it’s demonstrated by the fact Steven doesn’t leave him out of the team at all.

“That’s how well thought of he is by everybody and I’d struggle to argue with that.”
The legendary Ibrox boss has watched early-season promise wilt in the last two league campaigns.
But with Gers 11 points clear of title rivals Celtic, Smith said: “Results are good and everything is going well.
“If you look at them just now, there’s a more confident air to the team. But the biggest challenge in football is to keep that going all the way.

“That challenge still faces Rangers, especially going up against a club as successful as Celtic have been in recent years.
“Steven Gerrard has experienced that at a high level as a player, so he knows better than anyone.
“But the Rangers players look as if they are ready for the challenge this season — and that’s the main thing.
“One of the things they have to face up to is what happened to them before.
"If they do that and come out the other side, they’ve got a chance of winning.”

“His team were often accused of playing “anti-football” and it’s fair to say he is fond of a miserly defence.”

Seriously?

Exactly.

One very frustrated midget said it once. In European competition.

Like being able to organise your defence against a frighteningly good attack line is a bad thing.

Anti-football is what we get to see week in, week out from the Aberdeen’s and Motherwell’s of this world.

To see the impact Goldson has had you only need to look at the difference in the goals against column from before he arrived and once he was here. It's night and day stuff.

He was always a good defender but prone to a brainfart or two but I felt he was given an unbelievable amount of leeway by Gerrard for mistakes that others simply were not afforded in his first two seasons.

Now we see why. A good defender has turned into an excellent defender. This season he is easily the best centre half in the country and it's not even close.

I think Goldson is playing better cause he has better CBs next to him in Balogun and Helander. They are experienced pros. I feel when he’s got Katic or Edmunson next to him, he’s almost baby sitting them and doesn’t focus enough on his own game

Been an absolute rock this season and a tremendous defender. Need to get him into contract negotiations soon I think.

Agree 100%. We will do well to hold onto him so we should do our best to maximise any fee we may receive in the future. When you look at the kind of money Man City have splashed out on duff central defenders big Goldson could be worth a few bob.

I think Goldson is playing better cause he has better CBs next to him in Balogun and Helander. They are experienced pros. I feel when he’s got Katic or Edmunson next to him, he’s almost baby sitting them and doesn’t focus enough on his own game
Agreed. Even last season before Helander got injured you could see his potential when he had an experienced and settled CB partner.

Goldson has been in fantastic form and is our best defender without doubt. Hope he agrees to a contract extension and we're at least assured of big money if a bid were to come in.

To see the impact Goldson has had you only need to look at the difference in the goals against column from before he arrived and once he was here. It's night and day stuff.

He was always a good defender but prone to a brainfart or two but I felt he was given an unbelievable amount of leeway by Gerrard for mistakes that others simply were not afforded in his first two seasons.

Now we see why. A good defender has turned into an excellent defender. This season he is easily the best centre half in the country and it's not even close.
He is playing really well but I noticed twice against Benfica when Balogun covered for him as his one weakness is a high ball coming to him, it's his only fault the judging of that sometimes but otherwise very steady and his long passing has really improved.

Has cut out the goal gifting howlers. He was always a decent footballer but he has developed into a very good one under the Management team. So have others. Ryan Jack, Arfield, Aribo, Borna.....heck I think we have seen improvement in them all. Not one has regressed for me of our regular 15 starters.

This has been his best season yet. Infact id extend that sentiment to Tav as well. The fact that he is only 27 is excellent as well. Defenders usually continue to improve with experience into their early to mid 30s. Hes highly sellable for the right offer which is easily 8 figures now, but of course I'd prefer to keep him and hope he wants to stay too. You can never have enough good defenders

Has cut out the goal gifting howlers. He was always a decent footballer but he has developed into a very good one under the Management team. So have others. Ryan Jack, Arfield, Aribo, Borna.....heck I think we have seen improvement in them all. Not one has regressed for me of our regular 15 starters.
This is key for me.

Tav, Goldson, Borna; for me, have improved massively under Gerrard's management.

Gerrard is improving every single player in our squad.

Top, boss.

I know we’re a fickle lot but, I’ve recently read that Balogun is best as well.
The only thing you can say with any absolute certainty is Goldson is the best in the gaffer’s eyes. In terms of ability it is fairly close for sure.

“His team were often accused of playing “anti-football” and it’s fair to say he is fond of a miserly defence.”

Seriously?
Journo talking shite the neologism anti-football was coined after Walter retired and was never applied to his teams because it wasn't in common usage and wouldn't have been appropriate.

I know we’re a fickle lot but, I’ve recently read that Balogun is best as well.
It doesn't matter what people say , there is no point in arguing which is best. Our centre backs are, and should be, the envy of all clubs in Scotland and a huge number in England.

Ah the old anti-football myth with the word "often" thrown in to somehow validate that pish statement!

Can anyone confirm that, if I remember correctly, a Scottish reporter asked a dissappointed foreign player after we earned a share of the points "would you call that anti-football?" and said player responded with "yes."

The scum then had a new negative term to label us with when we were successful against superior teams in Europe!

Cünts the lot of them.

He's been outstanding this season. But I hope he never tries that Joe Worrall turn he did on Thursday again
I said in the summer that I still didn't trust goldson and that was why. Stupid chance taking, slackness, a lack of awareness when it's very nearly rule one of defending. When in doubt, put it out. He was, along with others guilty of fannying around and costing us major goals that could so easily have been avoided. For the most part he has been immense this season so far. My worry still goes for the full defence whoever starts whatever game. No fu(King about lads, if it needs row z, put it there. It's too important to be acting like baresi but playing like bolingoli.

I like to hear when Smith is having a wee praise, I fully believe he's having a little influence on gerrards defensive thinking through the chats they have.

Exactly.

Like being able to organise your defence against a frighteningly good attack line is a bad thing.

Anti-football is what we get to see week in, week out from the Aberdeen’s and Motherwell’s of this world.
Celtic parked the bus against Barca for their win in 2012 and lennon was hailed as a tactical genius

Exactly.

Nail. Hit. Head.

Given the aforesaid midget also supports Argentina's illegal claim to ownership of the Falklands and his opinion suddenly becomes even more worthless. Hugely talented footballer but an utter waste of 2 braincells otherwise.

Gotta love the rewriting of history by the "journalist" involved - only in Scotland would this be "news" instead of "fiction". Donald Trump school of journalism, obviously.

He has improved a lot, was always very decent but has taken that to a higher level this season.

His distribution from that back is rapier like at times, can turn defence into attack in one pass.

It's also very noticeable that whoever comes in beside him his game never drops, indispensable at the moment.

Seriously?

More I read it, the more disrespectful it becomes.

He is often accused of being a winner, with a nasty habit of dismissing Celtic managers as the also-rans they became.

That’s his legacy - serial winner.

There was a stat English provided the other night that we’ve been behind for a total of 45 minutes in all games this season. That’s almost 2000 minutes of football. (Excludes Leverkusen obviously)
Football exclusive.
This season's stats don't include stats from last season.
Who'd have guessed?
I for one am glad you pointed that out.

Goldson has been exceptional this season. We are watching a man who is at the very top of his game and inspiring others around him. He’s a colossus in defence, a driving force when carrying the ball out from the back, a huge asset at attacking set pieces and his long diagonal passes are, at times, sublime. I just hope we can keep the big fella at the club for many years to come.

Back