Rangers Legends that you never saw playing for Rangers

RWL12

Just a random thought for a Thursday afternoon. Maybe I am bored, who knows. I was eating a Snickers after lunch and had a flashback.

I was born in 1984, and never went to Ibrox in my early years. I never saw Davie Cooper play for Rangers. However, my friend's dad was a huge Ayr Utd fan and took me to a game either in late December 1991, early Jan 1992, late Dec 1992, early Jan 1993, late Dec 1993... I can't remember. I was about 8 at the time because I received a Keyboard for Christmas and it was after that.

Ayr were playing Clydebank.

Some guy came to take a corner, for Clydebank, and my friend's dad said "That's Davie Cooper. One of the best players I've seen in my life. For Rangers, Scotland"... so I sat up and paid attention to this footballer. I respected my friend's dad. But no one was more of a legend than Ally (in my eyes).

A random memory that I have. I just remember this figure, this shape, taking a corner... I remember where we sat, and the view. I don't remember the game.

I was eating a Snickers at the game (maybe it was a Marathon). I was spoiled that year with selection boxes, and kept my chocolate bars and sweets in the box my keyboard came in.

There's so many legends I'd loved to have seen in the flesh, but if I had to pick one, my choice would be the greatest Ranger John Greig

gn20.png

Willie Woodburn. My dad told me he was the best centre back he’d ever seen and how much Willie loved the Rangers. All the stories about his ability and his fierce temper, the younger fans today would’ve loved him in my opinion.
Closest in my youth was John Greig, another man that epitomised Rangers.

Too numerous to mention. I wish I could go back in time though and really appreciate the players I did watch. During the era of Laudrup, Gascoigne, Albertz etc. I suspect we didn't know how lucky we were to have such players. Great memories.

Born in 1980 I’ve missed loads.

Baxter, Greig, Shearer, Millar, Brand, Stein, Johnstone, Jardine, Henderson, the list is endless.

Willie Woodburn. My dad told me he was the best centre back he’d ever seen and how much Willie loved the Rangers. All the stories about his ability and his fierce temper, the younger fans today would’ve loved him in my opinion.
Closest in my youth was John Greig, another man that epitomised Rangers.
He was my Da's favourite, so I'll go for him also.

Never saw DJ, John Greig or Sandy Jardine... or anyone before them clearly.

More recently, I’ve lived down south for 20-odd years and although I tend to get to a couple of games per year, I’m sure there are players that I never saw because of not being back for game so often at times.
Legends might be a bit of a push but certainly some cult heroes or players of note. I struggle to remember being at a game where Ronald de Boer played for example, but over 3 or 4 seasons I must have.

another mention for willie woodburn
had the privilege of playing against him in a charity match in the early 70's
there were tears in my fathers eyes when i introduced him to " Ben" at the after match tea
to pick a Rangers best team you would have to start with W Woodburn !

WATP

Back