Rangers Liverpool connection

I'm a Liverpool fan and season ticket holder for 33 years, I also love Rangers! My dad used to go up to Glasgow in the 70s to watch the bears if Liverpool had a poor away game staying in Maryhill with friends and fellow bears and they would come down to anfield. Do Liverpool and Rangers have a special connection more so now with Gerrard at the wheel? My old account on here I remember a thread a few years back about LFC/Rangers connection and it had alot of negativety about Liverpool.

I'm a Liverpool fan and season ticket holder for 33 years, I also love Rangers! My dad used to go up to Glasgow in the 70s to watch the bears if Liverpool had a poor away game staying in Maryhill with friends and fellow bears and they would come down to anfield. Do Liverpool and Rangers have a special connection more so now with Gerrard at the wheel? My old account on here I remember a thread a few years back about LFC/Rangers connection and it had alot of negativety about Liverpool.
Always been my ‘english’ team.

A proper football club.

No

Souness, Walters, Adam, Gerrard, McAllister.

That's the only connections I can think of.

We have just as much connection with Everton;

Smith, Durrant, Ferguson, Steven, Stevens, Rideout, Gazza

Liverpool are my English side. IMO a club very like Rangers, steeped in glorious history and tradition, both clubs have of course experienced their own respective tragedies which also brings a kinship as we've went through a suffering that few clubs understand.

Gerrard himself has spoken of the similarities between the clubs as well

To answer your question, I don’t know about a special connection, but I work in Liverpool and the red side certainly ask me a lot of questions about Rangers since Stevie G became manager. If I’m being honest, before that, I found Liverpool supporters quite snooty about other teams, not just Rangers or Scottish football as a whole.

There's connections from way back.

Tom Wyllie scored the first ever Liverpool goal against Everton. He was a former Rangers player.
Johnny Walker scored the goal that won Liverpool their first ever league title. He left Anfield to join Rangers.
And Bob Blyth was a Rangers player in the 1890s who had a very famous nephew. The man who built the modern Liverpool, Bill Shankly.

Growing up in the 70s my dad always bought me Liverpool strips, and I had half Rangers/Liverpool pennants etc ...on my wall, Scumtic fans always had an affinity with Man Utd.

The lines have definitely blurred over the years but I'd say there's still a sizeable part of the support have a soft spot for Liverpool, although 80s kids onward would lean more towards Chelsea/ Man City.

If you're purely looking at players you can add Danny Wilson and Diouf, Vignal, Spackman, Avi Cohen, Kevin McDonald
I get that it's not just about players, but as above, we have just as much connection to Everton in that respect.

Yes! There is a joint memorial group for the Ibrox and Hillsborough disasters. It was also always said Liverpool was the Rangers of Liverpool and Everton the Celtic.
Not having this, never heard of any connection between them.

I don't "support" any English team but always had a soft spot for liverpool because of all of the Scottish connections in the 70s and 80s.

There is always a negativity on here about Liverpool, partly due to associations with other English clubs that we have, mainly Arsenal and Chelsea. The Arsenal one is a link based on solid historical events and links back to the 1920s and 30s.

Also, a link that Celtic fans manufactured through trying to steal your most famous song has left some Bears thinking the link is two way.

Gerrard has definitely softened the dislike, I would say, but some people will always have other favourites, which is fair enough. I reckon if I grew up during the whole Spice Boys era, I would have that same dislike. I still haven't forgiven John Barnes for his rapping, never mind that fantastic season he managed the beasts.

For me goes back to when a kid in 60s then 70s euro nights on black and white telly. Always seemed to be having fight backs plenty goals noisy crowds exciting players. Don't know of club connection but I heard that the local OO members were more likely to be Liverpool fans?

Last edited:
There's connections from way back.

Tom Wyllie scored the first ever Liverpool goal against Everton. He was a former Rangers player.
Johnny Walker scored the goal that won Liverpool their first ever league title. He left Anfield to join Rangers.
And Bob Blyth was a Rangers player in the 1890s who had a very famous nephew. The man who built the modern Liverpool, Bill Shankly.
Mate, your posts are literally incredible. The research you do and the insights you provide us all are absolutely another level.

Everton being a Catholic club, who in the 50s and 60s flew the tricolour over goodish and who still to this day sing about throwing Liverpool and Rangers in the Mersey. Listen for yourself on YouTube Royal Blue Mersey song
I’ve heard that song and funnily enough, I was in Hamburg a few years ago and there was a sticker on a lamp post with the Everton crest, just saying “Fuuk Rangers”. Don’t know what we did to upset them so much, but I’ve never liked Everton. Always found their supporters to be miserable faced bastards.

You seem a good sort mate but I can’t stand Liverpool and wish them nothing but failure.

Not having this, never heard of any connection between them.
Pretty sure Everton have a song about “throwing us in the Mersey”. However let’s be honest celtic fc and their fans tag on to every club they can to try and have a special relationship.
Personally I couldn’t care less about any English teams, never have, never will. Rangers only got me!

I’ve heard that song and funnily enough, I was in Hamburg a few years ago and there was a sticker on a lamp post with the Everton crest, just saying “Fuuk Rangers”. Don’t know what we did to upset them so much, but I’ve never liked Everton. Always found their supporters to be miserable faced bastards.
The clue is in the first five words of yer man’s post that you quoted. A bitter t****** element at Goodison for years.

They're bloody deluded as well. Went to one of the worst matches I've ever seen in a 0-0 with Swansea at Goodison and they were all raving about stuff Barkley and Baines (who were both honking btw) were doing on the day that had me thinking of how Aberdeen fans act with their players.

The chelsea connection makes most sense to me. They sell half and half scarves outside Ibrox and the bridge. Chelsea are a global club now but we still have true proud fans with loyalist values

I’m Liverpool as my brother moved there in 74 and I got taken along as a kid

Plenty of Liverpool lads used to come up for games in the late 70’s early 80’s abd I used to go stand on the Kop when we didn’t have a game

But to say there’s a connection between the clubs would be wrong
Just like minded loyalists supporting the Uks biggest loyalist club imho

My old man has a Rangers scarf somewhere in his house saying ‘you’ll never walk alone’

Anyone know when these were a thing

Back