Rangers/Liverpool

Tam239

Watched the Klopp interview the other night on Sky.. Liverpool only spend what they earn etc.. you think that's our mantra too but unfortunately we are not selling the players to then spend the money we make?

We are in that situation where no matter the commercial profits, season ticket sales, etc etc we cannot compete with the rest of the world on player prices, so we maybe should concentrate more on our youth development and try to bring players through.
The only issue with that is we need to win the league and need Euro football every season to even get one foot on the ladder.. World wide football club sadly in a 3rd world footballing country.

we cannot compete with the rest of the world on player prices,
Clearly we can compete with a lot of markets. However we cannot, and never will, compete with the bigger markets. That has always been the case the minute the Sky money hit English football and then other leagues too.

We need to know our markets, seek out the bargains and there’s plenty to be had.

We’ve been beaten in Europe by teams with smaller budgets than ours, as we have also beaten teams with larger.

Unless some billionaire decides he’s a Bear sometime soon, our “level” is pretty much as we are now. Which is, realistically and optimistically at this stage, a team who if we qualified for the ECL would be hoping for a 3rd place group stage finish and anything else would be amazeballs. As is it, Europe after Christmas of any description is decent.

We have to explore less popular markets, and develop our players, and then sell them on. See Aribo, Kamara, Morelos all raw talent at the start, now playing 50+ games a season, bar injuries etc.
Now it is time to sell at the right price, and show the model works, whilst at the same time making sure we don’t weaken ourselves dramatically.
If we want to compete at a higher level we need higher quality players, and they cost higher fees and wages.

Clearly we can compete with a lot of markets. However we cannot, and never will, compete with the bigger markets. That has always been the case the minute the Sky money hit English football and then other leagues too.

We need to know our markets, seek out the bargains and there’s plenty to be had.

We’ve been beaten in Europe by teams with smaller budgets than ours, as we have also beaten teams with larger.

Unless some billionaire decides he’s a Bear sometime soon, our “level” is pretty much as we are now. Which is, realistically and optimistically at this stage, a team who if we qualified for the ECL would be hoping for a 3rd place group stage finish and anything else would be amazeballs. As is it, Europe after Christmas of any description is decent.
Football badly needs a revamp, bigger clubs are being suffocated purely down to geography and frankly it is unfair. Us, them(unfortunately) Ajax, anderlecht to name just 4 clubs who are far bigger clubs than a lot of the pish that uefa bend over backwards for, yet purely down to the fluke of where they are located earn obscene money that their status and fan base barely deserve.
Won’t name any teams in particular but there are bigger teams in the uk than 2 of England’s 4 representatives in the champions league (or should that be champions, runner up and third and fourth place finish league)

Football badly needs a revamp, bigger clubs are being suffocated purely down to geography and frankly it is unfair. Us, them(unfortunately) Ajax, anderlecht to name just 4 clubs who are far bigger clubs than a lot of the pish that uefa bend over backwards for, yet purely down to the fluke of where they are located earn obscene money that their status and fan base barely deserve.
Won’t name any teams in particular but there are bigger teams in the uk than 2 of England’s 4 representatives in the champions league (or should that be champions, runner up and third and fourth place finish league)

The unequal distribution of money distorts the game and kills competition. Look no further than Scottish football with the OF winning 105 leagues since it started. Its ridiculous and quite frankly embarrassing.

The solution does not lie in joining other elite leagues leaving the "diddy" clubs to wither and die. If we want to save the game worldwide we need to sort out each country's individual leagues and go back to the days when european competitions were special and winnable.

In Scotland we could lead the way by

1 Sharing ALL prize money more evenly, taking into account overheads, and having a reasonable transition period.

2 Developing an affordable and sustainable salary scale for all Scottish professional footballers. This would give the "diddy" clubs a chance to keep their best players and build young exciting teams capable of competing and challenging for honours. Games would be more exciting, less predictable and less boring.

In my opinion this would create genuine competition, bring in more fans and make the game better for everyone.

For me, Liverpool are the best club in the world in the transfer market.

I actually think our model is just fine.

The unequal distribution of money distorts the game and kills competition. Look no further than Scottish football with the OF winning 105 leagues since it started. Its ridiculous and quite frankly embarrassing.

The solution does not lie in joining other elite leagues leaving the "diddy" clubs to wither and die. If we want to save the game worldwide we need to sort out each country's individual leagues and go back to the days when european competitions were special and winnable.

In Scotland we could lead the way by

1 Sharing ALL prize money more evenly, taking into account overheads, and having a reasonable transition period.

2 Developing an affordable and sustainable salary scale for all Scottish professional footballers. This would give the "diddy" clubs a chance to keep their best players and build young exciting teams capable of competing and challenging for honours. Games would be more exciting, less predictable and less boring.

In my opinion this would create genuine competition, bring in more fans and make the game better for everyone.
That’s a fair argument, maybe apart from the last line. Supporters of us and them won’t start going to see Falkirk or Inverness just because they are paying their players a bit more money. And if kids take the support of the team their dads support then this is always going to be the way in Scotland anyway.
That for me anyway isn’t the fault of the OF clubs. I’d personally be fukn delighted if Rangers won every league title from now until the end of time itself, won’t happen of course but as a supporter you want to win everything

That’s a fair argument, maybe apart from the last line. Supporters of us and them won’t start going to see Falkirk or Inverness just because they are paying their players a bit more money. And if kids take the support of the team their dads support then this is always going to be the way in Scotland anyway.
That for me anyway isn’t the fault of the OF clubs. I’d personally be fukn delighted if Rangers won every league title from now until the end of time itself, won’t happen of course but as a supporter you want to win everything

I didnt mean to suggest our fans going elsewhere but I do think there are fans of "diddy" clubs who dont go because they know they cant win. If their team starts to really challenge for honours they'd come back.

Our reluctance to sell players is ridiculous.

Holding out for mythical transfer fees is literally costing us, as player values depreciate.
We agree on a lot on here, I don’t agree here though.
Our players have a value to us. Especially in direct comparison with fees received for other players leaving our league. At first it was we won’t get the big money until they’re champions of Scotland, we’ve done that now. The market suffered due to covid so we never got anything near what we wanted for players and i applaud the club for not buckling.
Say we keep Morelos and Kamara this year and they lose a few million each in potential fees we get, if we win the league we get a £30-40m pot for doing it. Makes it worth the while.

In a ideal world you want to spend less than you earn. The core of the team we have now is great but it will need refreshed for next season. Football is a business there is no room for sentiment.

In a ideal world you want to spend less than you earn. The core of the team we have now is great but it will need refreshed for next season. Football is a business there is no room for sentiment.

"Football is a business". That is now true and its a lot worse off for it.

The problem with a business approach is businesses thrive when their competitors cant compete. They dont want to have to struggle to be successful and if they can kill off the competition then all the better.

Sport is different. Sport thrives on competition. Without it sport isnt worth watching and sadly that's where football is headed

"Football is a business". That is now true and its a lot worse off for it.

The problem with a business approach is businesses thrive when their competitors cant compete. They dont want to have to struggle to be successful and if they can kill off the competition then all the better.

Sport is different. Sport thrives on competition. Without it sport isnt worth watching and sadly that's where football is headed
Not just football but also cricket, rugby, F1 and other sports.

They can sell average players for funny money

They sure can, even for players into their final year of contract they still get decents sums.

I firmly believe we'd have spent decent sums on new faces if we'd achieved at least one of: qualifying to Cl group stage and/or sold a star for big bucks.

Our players have a value to us. Especially in direct comparison with fees received for other players leaving our league. At first it was we won’t get the big money until they’re champions of Scotland, we’ve done that now. The market suffered due to covid so we never got anything near what we wanted for players and i applaud the club for not buckling.
Say we keep Morelos and Kamara this year and they lose a few million each in potential fees we get, if we win the league we get a £30-40m pot for doing it. Makes it worth the while.
These our just about irreplaceable in our team. Neither looked out of place against Lyon.

In terms of making football more competitive and equal, there’s no other way of doing it other than a salary cap system. Go one step farther and draft players too.

Would it ever work? No :))

Admittedly is is not an easy balancing act mate. There is no perfect/ideal solution.

But not properly strengthening in the recent window wasn't ideal. We are already seeing signs of staleness.

A sale of Borna - for example - may have allowed us to bring in a Veerman and a couple of others. I would have been happier with that.

But, yes, the financial prize at the end of the season is unlike any before. Let's just hope our gamble of sticking with what we have pays off. Failure doesn't even bear thinking about.

Not just football but also cricket, rugby, F1 and other sports.

True. Team sports fare worse because those with most money pay the highest wages and buy the best players. They then win all the prizes and prize money and so it goes on.

Sports like tennis dont have the same issues as its about individuals.

In terms of making football more competitive and equal, there’s no other way of doing it other than a salary cap system. Go one step farther and draft players too.

Would it ever work? No :))

I dont understand why footballers cant have a salary scale like doctors, nurses, bricklayers etc. Of course each country has to have its own affordable and sustainable scale but I dont see many Scottish players leaving to play for Man U or Real Madrid. Billy Gilmour left for Chelsea anyway so the current set up doesnt stop it happening.

I didnt mean to suggest our fans going elsewhere but I do think there are fans of "diddy" clubs who dont go because they know they cant win. If their team starts to really challenge for honours they'd come back.
You make a good point mate. The first half of the 80's was very competitive in scotland, along with good European showings.

It would have been even better if we had thrown ourselves into the mix, but we were usually out of it by october.

I dont think it's healthy to be having a goal difference competition in any league as we read on here many times about being ahead of them on goals.

How much money have we actually generated in transfer sales in the past 5 years collectively?
Not a lot and nowhere near enough.

Our "player trading model" is pretty flawed.

It consists of bringing players in - mostly squad players - but bringing in very little from players leaving.

That simply HAS to change. It's not sustainable - and ends up with situations like the recent window whereby we only have a very small budget and there is not enough money in the kitty to strengthen the starting team. Hence Gerrard's clear frustration when questioned on it yesterday.

BUT Gerrard has to realise that we need to sell a player. It's a dilema but we need to have a better strategy otherwise we will just get stale and not progressing.

For me, Liverpool are the best club in the world in the transfer market.

I actually think our model is just fine.

Agree with Liverpool being shrewd in the market and agree that on paper our model is fine and makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately the reality is we haven't implemented any player trading model.

We don't sell players for significant money and because we aren't moving anyone decent on, the players that we do bring in end up as squad options because there isn't a space in the starting 11, and we can't afford any reasonable fee to upgrade them.

It's a wild situation and we can't sustain it.

Back