Rangers/Loyalist Songs - Tunes We’ve Stolen

Uddy Gers

I know a few songs are stolen from the American Civil war period.

Billy Boys is Marching Through Georgia. We also sing the Sash to Halls of Montezuma. The original tune to the Sash I’ve seen the US army marching to, so I assume both versions of the Sash are derived from America.

Follow Follow is a church hymn.

I’m wondering where our other songs originate from. Not sure about Blue Sea of Ibrox.

What songs aren’t original that we sing? I’ve got Billy Boys, Follow Follow and the Sash (assuming original version is from America).

Also Fathers advice adapted from Fields of Athenry
I know a mate who nearly got himself into bother at an Ireland rugby game by singing “Now you’re hungry, cause your fields, they are not dry” to take the mick. Talk about choosing your moment.
I told him he should have got a kicking for even going to it in the first place, so no sympathy from me.

Don’t really understand this thread. Nearly every song sung at football matches is based on an established tune, whether folk, pop, revivalist hymn or whatever.

’I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles’ was once an American pop song but for 100 years has been the anthem of West Ham United. Does anyone accuse their fans of ‘stealing’ it?

Not sure what the song actually is but in my local Rangers pub I heard one that sounded like it was to the tune of Chelsea's 'Blue is the Colour', forget the lyrics.
You’re right, I’ve heard it before on buses etc.

I’ve heard people sing “For we are one of the boys” when they sing “cause Chelsea, Chelsea is our name.

I know a mate who nearly got himself into bother at an Ireland rugby game by singing “Now you’re hungry, cause your fields, they are not dry” to take the mick. Talk about choosing your moment.
I told him he should have got a kicking for even going to it in the first place, so no sympathy from me.

Really cannot understand any unionist/loyalist that can support an all ireland rugby team. I’m glad I don’t follow rugby

Really cannot understand any unionist/loyalist that can support an all ireland rugby team. I’m glad I don’t follow rugby
I once spoke to a member of the apprentice boys who played for Ireland and during the troubles as well.plenty of players who are unionists have played for Ireland.a captain in the British army played for them during the troubles.

Don’t really understand this thread. Nearly every song sung at football matches is based on an established tune, whether folk, pop, revivalist hymn or whatever.

’I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles’ was once an American pop song but for 100 years has been the anthem of West Ham United. Does anyone accuse their fans of ‘stealing’ it?

I thought Michael Jackson had first dibs on that.;)

I've always thought that diddly dee music etc was there 'culture' and thats why a long of songs originated from them.

However, flute bands is our culture which is why when you flip it, they don't come anywhere near close in quality to our bands.

However, on YouTube there is a folk group called 'Houl yer whisht' that plays a lot of original Irish songs but they are all about Northern Ireland and our history.

Requires investigation, but as a football song I believe 'Follow, Follow' pre-dates 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles'. It is arguably the oldest established football song anywhere.

'Hello, Hello' was first sung at the latest in 1928 (there is a newspaper report which mentions it).

Both of the songs which Celtic are associated with ('The Celtic Song', 'YNWA') were first sung in the 60s and were nicked from other clubs.

'Super Rangers' should be ditched for several reasons but being based on a Rod Stewart song constitutes yet another.

Interesting thread, been meaning to start a similar one for some time. Of course stuff like our player-related songs are easily identified (Scotty Arfield - Saturday Night, Germain Defoe - Hey Baby, etc), but there's a few more Loyalist ones I'd like to know the origins of.

The Sash is an interesting one, because I think it's original, but the tune used to sound quite different when it was first written in the 1920s. Some flute bands still played it that way in the 50s and 60s.
Derry's Walls - God Bless the Prince of Wales.
Billy Boys - Marching Through Georgia (though there's also a version where the verses are sung to the 18th c. tune Ye Sons of Albion).
Follow Follow - I Will Follow Jesus.
No Pope of Rome - Home on the Range.
The Bouncy - Cock of the North.
The Protestant Boys - Lilliburlero.
I Was Born Under a Union Jack - Wandering Star.
Father's Advice - Fields of Athenry.
Crossmaglen - mentally challenged version is the original.
Will You Stand - a mentally challenged song about Bobby Sands.
Copland Road - old Scottish tune (can't remember the name just now).
Four Lads Had a Dream - Sloop John B.
Flute for 50 Pence - John Hark.
Heroes of the UVF - Glory Glory.
C Company UVF - Beautiful Sunday.
Not sure if We're Coming is related to the Tartan Fanny Army's We'll Be Coming?
A lot of tunes also reuse the same tune, eg. "Gibraltar" is pretty much just "The Old Orange Flute." Anyone else noted that Hearts' "Hearts Song" is also actually just "The Old Orange Flute?"

One I've always wanted to know is the origin of Number One Platoon, I'm convinced it's a pre-existing Irish song. Would also be interested to know the origins of King Billy's On the Wall and Build My Gallows. Here Lies a Soldier also dates back to the 70s but not sure if it's original.

Last edited:
Interesting thread, been meaning to start a similar one for some time. Of course stuff like our player-related songs are easily identified (Scotty Arfield - Saturday Night, Germain Defoe - Hey Baby, etc), but there's a few more Loyalist ones I'd like to know the origins of.

The Sash is an interesting one, because I think it's original, but the tune used to sound quite different when it was first written in the 1920s. Some flute bands still played it that way in the 50s and 60s.
Billy Boys - Marching Through Georgia (though there's also a version where the verses are sung to the 18th c. tune Ye Sons of Albion).
A lot of tunes also reuse the same tune, eg. "Gibraltar" is pretty much just "The Old Orange Flute." Anyone else noted that Hearts' "Hearts Song" is also actually just "The Old Orange Flute?"

One I've always wanted to know is the origin of Number One Platoon, I'm convinced it's a pre-existing Irish song. Would also be interested to know the origins of King Billy's On the Wall and Build My Gallows.

Hearts song is ‘Mud Mud Glorious Mud’.

Can remember ‘We Are Coming’ being a Partick Proddy boys FB song being sung in the Rosevale, long before the tartan trannies sang it.

One I've always wanted to know is the origin of Number One Platoon, I'm convinced it's a pre-existing Irish song. Would also be interested to know the origins of King Billy's On the Wall and Build My Gallows. Here Lies a Soldier also dates back to the 70s but not sure if it's original.
Iirc build my gallows comes from a song called bunch of thyme sung by foster and Allen who were in the charts in the 70’s/80’s
Here lies a soldier wasn’t out till the early 80’s I remember buying the single outside the Ibrox subway and the song caught on fairly quickly.

Back