Rangers/Loyalist Songs - Tunes We’ve Stolen

The best rendition of this song was the 2-2 game at the piggery
in Sept 1976 at half time when Rangers were leading 2-0. It was
tremendous :)
Ironically we were in the middle of this song when the scum equalised
in the 2-2 game at Ibrox six months later. :(
I always thought the song was a jinx,something would always go wrong on the pitch when we sang it lol

Your no awa to bide awa......As I was walking down the Copland road

Jesus loves the little children......Who's that team

The red flag [ I think].........The blue flag

I know a few songs are stolen from the American Civil war period.

Billy Boys is Marching Through Georgia. We also sing the Sash to Halls of Montezuma. The original tune to the Sash I’ve seen the US army marching to, so I assume both versions of the Sash are derived from America.

Follow Follow is a church hymn.

I’m wondering where our other songs originate from. Not sure about Blue Sea of Ibrox.

What songs aren’t original that we sing? I’ve got Billy Boys, Follow Follow and the Sash (assuming original version is from America).

You've seen the US army marching to the sash?

Interesting thread, been meaning to start a similar one for some time. Of course stuff like our player-related songs are easily identified (Scotty Arfield - Saturday Night, Germain Defoe - Hey Baby, etc), but there's a few more Loyalist ones I'd like to know the origins of.

The Sash is an interesting one, because I think it's original, but the tune used to sound quite different when it was first written in the 1920s. Some flute bands still played it that way in the 50s and 60s.
Derry's Walls - God Bless the Prince of Wales.
Billy Boys - Marching Through Georgia (though there's also a version where the verses are sung to the 18th c. tune Ye Sons of Albion).
Follow Follow - I Will Follow Jesus.
No Pope of Rome - Home on the Range.
The Bouncy - Cock of the North.
The Protestant Boys - Lilliburlero.
I Was Born Under a Union Jack - Wandering Star.
Father's Advice - Fields of Athenry.
Crossmaglen - mentally challenged version is the original.
Will You Stand - a mentally challenged song about Bobby Sands.
Copland Road - old Scottish tune (can't remember the name just now).
Four Lads Had a Dream - Sloop John B.
Flute for 50 Pence - John Hark.
Heroes of the UVF - Glory Glory.
C Company UVF - Beautiful Sunday.
Not sure if We're Coming is related to the Tartan Fanny Army's We'll Be Coming?
A lot of tunes also reuse the same tune, eg. "Gibraltar" is pretty much just "The Old Orange Flute." Anyone else noted that Hearts' "Hearts Song" is also actually just "The Old Orange Flute?"

One I've always wanted to know is the origin of Number One Platoon, I'm convinced it's a pre-existing Irish song. Would also be interested to know the origins of King Billy's On the Wall and Build My Gallows. Here Lies a Soldier also dates back to the 70s but not sure if it's original.
I believe that the tartan army song is adapted from the UVF version. I think we are coming down the road is an original.

Yes, or some branch of the US armed forces.

I’ve also seen the Queen’s guard march to the Sash.

May I point out this was on YouTube I saw this, not in real life.
Yes, the Irish Guards play the Sash regularly

Never heard the US military play it, but this video definitely sounds like a US band or a US style version

Don’t really understand this thread. Nearly every song sung at football matches is based on an established tune, whether folk, pop, revivalist hymn or whatever.

’I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles’ was once an American pop song but for 100 years has been the anthem of West Ham United. Does anyone accuse their fans of ‘stealing’ it?
There’s not many, none that I can think of of.

Yes, the Irish Guards play the Sash regularly

Never heard the US military play it, but this video definitely sounds like a US band or a US style version

If my memory serves me correct I remember it being played at Donald Trump’s inauguration in 2017.

Requires investigation, but as a football song I believe 'Follow, Follow' pre-dates 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles'. It is arguably the oldest established football song anywhere.

'Hello, Hello' was first sung at the latest in 1928 (there is a newspaper report which mentions it).

Both of the songs which Celtic are associated with ('The Celtic Song', 'YNWA') were first sung in the 60s and were nicked from other clubs.

'Super Rangers' should be ditched for several reasons but being based on a Rod Stewart song constitutes yet another.
Would like to find it

Lillibulero - The Protestant Boys
On that one, I was in New York at the time of, not for, St.Patricks day, a few years back.
Parade was coming along Fifth Avenue playing a tune I was familiar with and surprised at hearing.
I said to the wife, from the dark side, to remember this tune.
Back in the hotel, I played her the tune to The Protestant Boys.
I never did find a republican song to that tune.

On that one, I was in New York at the time of, not for, St.Patricks day, a few years back.
Parade was coming along Fifth Avenue playing a tune I was familiar with and surprised at hearing.
I said to the wife, from the dark side, to remember this tune.
Back in the hotel, I played her the tune to The Protestant Boys.
I never did find a republican song to that tune.
You could argue it's the greatest Protestant/Loyalist song. Written during the actual Glorious Revolution and is now a mainstay song in the military bands and marching bands of at least a dozen countries worldwide.

Iirc build my gallows comes from a song called bunch of thyme sung by foster and Allen who were in the charts in the 70’s/80’s
Here lies a soldier wasn’t out till the early 80’s I remember buying the single outside the Ibrox subway and the song caught on fairly quickly.

Yes I believe Build My Gallows is an adaptation of this, it shares part of the tune but not the chorus.

I've always loved that song for the tune, but people weren't ever actually hanged for fighting the IRA were they? A wee bit cringe!

Some gave all (Trevor King) is a Billy Ray Cyrus song.

And it's Glasow Rangers, Glasgow Rangers FC, popular in the 80's, is The Wild Rover.

Some gave all (Trevor King) is a Billy Ray Cyrus song.

And it's Glasow Rangers, Glasgow Rangers FC, popular in the 80's, is The Wild Rover.

That top one a close mate of mine can be found hugging a Rangers bottle of vodka singing this....whilst intermittently advising his other half how much he loves rangers.

@Barryhopez not abuse directed at you this time but you know the guy.

If said guy is looking in.......Trevor King is probably one of your most focussed song :D

"Never gets the recognition it deserves"

Fans from the 80s will no doubt remember “I’d walk a million miles for one of your goals” which uses the tune from My Mammy by Al Jolson and “Glory, Glory that’s a hell of a way to die” which takes the tune from John Brown’s Body.

We also used to sing “Hooray, hooray, %^*& the IRA” using the tune of Boney M’s Holiday.

I know a few songs are stolen from the American Civil war period.

Billy Boys is Marching Through Georgia. We also sing the Sash to Halls of Montezuma. The original tune to the Sash I’ve seen the US army marching to, so I assume both versions of the Sash are derived from America.

Follow Follow is a church hymn.

I’m wondering where our other songs originate from. Not sure about Blue Sea of Ibrox.

What songs aren’t original that we sing? I’ve got Billy Boys, Follow Follow and the Sash (assuming original version is from America).
The original version of the Sash is not American.

I've always thought that diddly dee music etc was there 'culture' and thats why a long of songs originated from them.

However, flute bands is our culture which is why when you flip it, they don't come anywhere near close in quality to our bands.

However, on YouTube there is a folk group called 'Houl yer whisht' that plays a lot of original Irish songs but they are all about Northern Ireland and our history.
The are Ulster Scots

Where does it originate from?
There was an investigation into its origins on Radio Ulster a few years ago. It was firstly believed to have come from an old song the Hat my father wore, but it seems there were examples of the Sash being sung before then so it's most probably an original tune.

Fans from the 80s will no doubt remember “I’d walk a million miles for one of your goals” which uses the tune from My Mammy by Al Jolson and “Glory, Glory that’s a hell of a way to die” which takes the tune from John Brown’s Body.

We also used to sing “Hooray, hooray, %^*& the IRA” using the tune of Boney M’s Holiday.
“It’s magic you know Rangers and Catholics don’t go” stolen from pilot.
The British airways ad “we take good care of you,fly the flag” was changed to “we hate the ira %^*& the pope,%^*& the pope”
Who says our song book hasn’t cleaned up:p

Interesting thread, been meaning to start a similar one for some time. Of course stuff like our player-related songs are easily identified (Scotty Arfield - Saturday Night, Germain Defoe - Hey Baby, etc), but there's a few more Loyalist ones I'd like to know the origins of.

The Sash is an interesting one, because I think it's original, but the tune used to sound quite different when it was first written in the 1920s. Some flute bands still played it that way in the 50s and 60s.
Derry's Walls - God Bless the Prince of Wales.
Billy Boys - Marching Through Georgia (though there's also a version where the verses are sung to the 18th c. tune Ye Sons of Albion).
Follow Follow - I Will Follow Jesus.
No Pope of Rome - Home on the Range.
The Bouncy - Cock of the North.
The Protestant Boys - Lilliburlero.
I Was Born Under a Union Jack - Wandering Star.
Father's Advice - Fields of Athenry.
Crossmaglen - mentally challenged version is the original.
Will You Stand - a mentally challenged song about Bobby Sands.
Copland Road - old Scottish tune (can't remember the name just now).
Four Lads Had a Dream - Sloop John B.
Flute for 50 Pence - John Hark.
Heroes of the UVF - Glory Glory.
C Company UVF - Beautiful Sunday.
Not sure if We're Coming is related to the Tartan Fanny Army's We'll Be Coming?
A lot of tunes also reuse the same tune, eg. "Gibraltar" is pretty much just "The Old Orange Flute." Anyone else noted that Hearts' "Hearts Song" is also actually just "The Old Orange Flute?"

One I've always wanted to know is the origin of Number One Platoon, I'm convinced it's a pre-existing Irish song. Would also be interested to know the origins of King Billy's On the Wall and Build My Gallows. Here Lies a Soldier also dates back to the 70s but not sure if it's original.

Grandfathers Clock is the same tune as Number 1 Platoon

Hearts song is ‘Mud Mud Glorious Mud’.

Can remember ‘We Are Coming’ being a Partick Proddy boys FB song being sung in the Rosevale, long before the tartan trannies sang it.

The Hearts song is a hymn - Blessed Assurance.

Had I Will Follow Jesus played at my wedding. Subtle but staunch.

Back