Rangers/Loyalist Songs - Tunes We’ve Stolen

“It’s magic you know Rangers and Catholics don’t go” stolen from pilot.
The British airways ad “we take good care of you,fly the flag” was changed to “we hate the ira %^*& the pope,%^*& the pope”
Who says our song book hasn’t cleaned up:p

I wont repeat it but there was a song from the KP nuts advert which would get you hung drawn and quartered today.

Sandy in royal blue - A bicycle made for two
Orange Wings - Ballad of the green berets
3 popes gone and the queen lives on - Holiday Boney M

when we sang Fathers Advice one of the Celtic Directors wrote an article in the Celtic View appealing to them to sing Fields of Athenry and they printed the words. Always remember my ex brother in law showing me the article. Can picture the director but can't get the name. Round about the time of that Michael Kelly or maybe just before,

Tom Grant - Google helped me

when we sang Fathers Advice one of the Celtic Directors wrote an article in the Celtic View appealing to them to sing Fields of Athenry and they printed the words. Always remember my ex brother in law showing me the article. Can picture the director but can't get the name. Round about the time of that Michael Kelly or maybe just before,
To be fair to Michael Kelly (there’s something I never say) he declared a few years ago that in his opinion there was no offence to be taken from ‘No Pope of Rome’.

Tom Grant - Google helped me
Most tims had never heard fields of athenrye.primarily It was largely sung by Munster rugby fans despite athenrye actually in county Galway

Interesting thread, been meaning to start a similar one for some time. Of course stuff like our player-related songs are easily identified (Scotty Arfield - Saturday Night, Germain Defoe - Hey Baby, etc), but there's a few more Loyalist ones I'd like to know the origins of.

The Sash is an interesting one, because I think it's original, but the tune used to sound quite different when it was first written in the 1920s. Some flute bands still played it that way in the 50s and 60s.
Derry's Walls - God Bless the Prince of Wales.
Billy Boys - Marching Through Georgia (though there's also a version where the verses are sung to the 18th c. tune Ye Sons of Albion).
Follow Follow - I Will Follow Jesus.
No Pope of Rome - Home on the Range.
The Bouncy - Cock of the North.
The Protestant Boys - Lilliburlero.
I Was Born Under a Union Jack - Wandering Star.
Father's Advice - Fields of Athenry.
Crossmaglen - mentally challenged version is the original.
Will You Stand - a mentally challenged song about Bobby Sands.
Copland Road - old Scottish tune (can't remember the name just now).
Four Lads Had a Dream - Sloop John B.
Flute for 50 Pence - John Hark.
Heroes of the UVF - Glory Glory.
C Company UVF - Beautiful Sunday.
Not sure if We're Coming is related to the Tartan Fanny Army's We'll Be Coming?
A lot of tunes also reuse the same tune, eg. "Gibraltar" is pretty much just "The Old Orange Flute." Anyone else noted that Hearts' "Hearts Song" is also actually just "The Old Orange Flute?"

One I've always wanted to know is the origin of Number One Platoon, I'm convinced it's a pre-existing Irish song. Would also be interested to know the origins of King Billy's On the Wall and Build My Gallows. Here Lies a Soldier also dates back to the 70s but not sure if it's original.

I remember being at Tyncastle in the main stand. We used to get a section of tickets there when it was standing only behind the goals. When they started playing the Hearts song before kick off, we all belted out the 'Tooraloo' etc part. To be fair there were a few Jambos around us and they all had a laugh. Get locked up now for such frivolity.

Last edited:
Interesting thread, been meaning to start a similar one for some time. Of course stuff like our player-related songs are easily identified (Scotty Arfield - Saturday Night, Germain Defoe - Hey Baby, etc), but there's a few more Loyalist ones I'd like to know the origins of.

The Sash is an interesting one, because I think it's original, but the tune used to sound quite different when it was first written in the 1920s. Some flute bands still played it that way in the 50s and 60s.
Derry's Walls - God Bless the Prince of Wales.
Billy Boys - Marching Through Georgia (though there's also a version where the verses are sung to the 18th c. tune Ye Sons of Albion).
Follow Follow - I Will Follow Jesus.
No Pope of Rome - Home on the Range.
The Bouncy - Cock of the North.
The Protestant Boys - Lilliburlero.
I Was Born Under a Union Jack - Wandering Star.
Father's Advice - Fields of Athenry.
Crossmaglen - mentally challenged version is the original.
Will You Stand - a mentally challenged song about Bobby Sands.
Copland Road - old Scottish tune (can't remember the name just now).
Four Lads Had a Dream - Sloop John B.
Flute for 50 Pence - John Hark.
Heroes of the UVF - Glory Glory.
C Company UVF - Beautiful Sunday.
Not sure if We're Coming is related to the Tartan Fanny Army's We'll Be Coming?
A lot of tunes also reuse the same tune, eg. "Gibraltar" is pretty much just "The Old Orange Flute." Anyone else noted that Hearts' "Hearts Song" is also actually just "The Old Orange Flute?"

One I've always wanted to know is the origin of Number One Platoon, I'm convinced it's a pre-existing Irish song. Would also be interested to know the origins of King Billy's On the Wall and Build My Gallows. Here Lies a Soldier also dates back to the 70s but not sure if it's original.
Copland Rd =
Awaugh te Bide Awaugh

The John Gregg (Grugg) tribute song is based on Seven Spanish Angels.

Not that I'd ever listen to such a song of course... ;)

The Orangemen of Crossmaglen needs binned, horrific considering it’s genuinely a Republican stronghold.

If anyone can actually provide evidence of an Orange Lodge existing in Crossmaglen then it would have a bit of meaning to it, but if not then it's just nonsense, just like a lot of other loyalist songs sadly :(

Reactions: WBD
I doubt it, I'm no Burns expert, but its always been my understanding that Burns was only a lyricist and most of the songs were put to existing melodies. Willing to be contradicted on this one.

A very similar melody but score does stray slightly = Green grow the rushes o

“It’s magic you know Rangers and Catholics don’t go” stolen from pilot.
The British airways ad “we take good care of you,fly the flag” was changed to “we hate the ira %^*& the pope,%^*& the pope”
Who says our song book hasn’t cleaned up:p

Wasn't aware of that one! Must admit, I chuckled.

Many songs cross over, especially football songs, our own cultural melodies lists are huge, if you research the likes of Richard Hayward or our Ulster Scots music but as has been said what is unacceptable is when words are taken with only the slightest of alterations ie as said 'will you stand' & 'crossmaglen' cringeworthy stuff for sure ! Lazy loyalism in those writings for sure.

I notice many of our singers starting to pick up a guitar more which is a breath of fresh air, instead of the karaoke kings & queens sticking a backing tape on & thinking they are the Dogs Bs !!

Yep into derrys walls.
“As he lay on the battlefield dying with the blood pouring out of his head.as he lay on the battlefield dying he turned to his comrades and said altogether now” loved that intro
Probably got they lyrics from poor scouser Tommy.

We'll support you evermore - Bread of heaven.
When the Gers go up to lift the Scottish Cup - There is power in the blood.
We shall not be moved - a song by the Seekers.
Lots of the older songs come from the Church.

I am a bluenose is to the
I know a few songs are stolen from the American Civil war period.

Billy Boys is Marching Through Georgia. We also sing the Sash to Halls of Montezuma. The original tune to the Sash I’ve seen the US army marching to, so I assume both versions of the Sash are derived from America.

Follow Follow is a church hymn.

I’m wondering where our other songs originate from. Not sure about Blue Sea of Ibrox.

What songs aren’t original that we sing? I’ve got Billy Boys, Follow Follow and the Sash (assuming original version is from America).
I am a bluenose is to the tune of the hymn "we have an anchor"

Many songs cross over, especially football songs, our own cultural melodies lists are huge, if you research the likes of Richard Hayward or our Ulster Scots music but as has been said what is unacceptable is when words are taken with only the slightest of alterations ie as said 'will you stand' & 'crossmaglen' cringeworthy stuff for sure ! Lazy loyalism in those writings for sure.

I notice many of our singers starting to pick up a guitar more which is a breath of fresh air, instead of the karaoke kings & queens sticking a backing tape on & thinking they are the Dogs Bs !!

Long may it continue!

Three Cheers for the Red White and Blue is an American song originally, often sung with "and the Army and the Navy and the USAF (US Air Force).

Whisper this one - “We are Rangers, super Rangers...” is Rod Stewart’s Sailing.

It's not Rod Stewart's. I think Iain and Gavin Sutherland would take issue with this as Gavin Sutherland wrote it and they recorded it in 1972 as The Sutherland Brothers long before Rod Stewart recorded it in 1975. He recorded it after his live in girlfriend Dee Harrington saw the Sutherland Brothers on The Old Grey Whistle Test on 20th June 1972 and told him it was a great song and he should ask if he could record it.

Gavin Sutherland says of the song: "Most people take the song to be about a young guy telling his girl that he's crossing the Atlantic to be with her. In fact the song's got nothing to do with romance or ships; it's an account of mankind's spiritual odyssey through life on his way to freedom and fulfillment with the Supreme Being."

One of life's popular misconceptions

Back