Rangers managers in your lifetime - positive and negatives.

evo14

Official Ticketer
Was born in 85 so don’t really remember Souness, so looking at it from Walter Smith’s first spell. Also not including caretaker managers.

Walter Smith (first spell)

Pros - Almost total domination domestically. Signed legendary players such as Gazza, Laudrup, and Goram. An untainted 9 in a Row where we had a side with excellent character.

Cons - Apart from 92, we were poor in Europe. Signing Ally Maxwell. How he ever got a game in that Rangers team is beyond me. Even as a wee boy I bricked it when I seen that he was on the team sheet.

Dick Advocaat -

Pros - Quickly built a team who won the league back. Not just expensive signings - Rod Wallace on a free was a great bit of business. Romped the league in his first season. Insisted on a state of the art training facility which is still in use today.

Cons - Again, fell well short of the mark in Europe considering the outlay. Some humiliating defeats to the scum and towards the end of his tenure, he totally lost the dressing room.

Big Eck -

Pros - Built a team on a budget, numerous trophies, league wins and got to the last 16 in the Champions League. Signed some great players - Prso, Novo, Boyd, Lovenkrands. Brought Barry Ferguson through form the youth ranks. Helicopter Sunday.

Cons - For every good player he signed, he signed 3 absolutely terrible players. I could be here all day listing them. A third place finish in the league despite the last 16 of the CL in the same season. I also found that every league win under Eck was where we just scraped the league which I suppose was very sweet to put the scum to the sword in the last day of the season but I also felt we got lucky a few times.

Paul le Guen

Pros - Played very well in Europe. Brought McGregor into the first team and also signed a few players such as Hemdani who were mainstays in the squad for a few years. Was very big on bringing young players thro

Cons - Hopeless domestically. Escaping with a home draw to Celtic was probably the highlight of his time at Ibrox. Signed players totally unsuited to Scottish football.

Walter Smith (2nd spell)

Pros - A lot of pros here. Manchester being the biggest one - I’ve cried twice with happiness in my adult life - once when my daughter was born, and when Novo scored that penalty against Fiorentina. Dominated domestically again. So much so that the only league victory that Celtic got (apart from the first season when he came in in the January) was when they vetoed extending the season for their non existent tour of Japan. Signed some great players - Weir, Boogie, Jelavic, Miller, Beasley, and even Jig who took it tight on here, however proved himself to be one of the most loyal Rangers men of his generation. Even outside Manchester, we had some great results in Europe. Drawing at Old Trafford to a world class Man Utd team and beating Lyon 3-0 away.

Cons - Still struggled in Europe at times. Signed a few stinkers such as Rothen. Other than that I don’t have many complaints. Being a Rangers fan during that period was great.

Super Ally

Pros - This one is hard to judge considering the circumstances during his tenure. Started off well in the league. I always felt that the “board” would have let our titles be stripped if Ally wasn’t there. Built a team from nothing that took us to the Championship. Signed some players who, despite getting a slagging on here, done the job for us at the time - Mohsni springs to mind. Brought Kenny Miller back to the club who scored many important goals for us.

Cons - Early exit in the cup in his first season. His time in the Championship was probably my worst, most testing period as a Rangers fan however I will say that wasn’t totally his fault, the club was a mess at the time.

Mark Warburton

Pros - Built a full team for next to nothing, walked the Championship and got us back where we belonged. Beating the scum in the cup semi which I believe cost Deila his job.

Cons - In his second season, we should have strengthened the squad and instead he bought has-been bench warmers. Kranjcar was a great player at his peak but I doubt he went more than 3 weeks without an injury. Barton wasn’t Rangers level or Rangers class. Senderos was one of the worst defenders I’ve ever seen in a Rangers shirt. Would have been better with a plank of wood stuck in the 18 yard line during the game at Parkhead and it would have done a better job than him. He made Morton look good at Ibrox.

Pedro Caixhina.

Pros - Signed some good players - Morelos, Candeias. Shouted at Sutton on the telly. That’s about it.

Cons - Where to start? Also signed some expensive players who were woeful. Left Waghorn who was more than capable of doing a job for us out of the squad in place of guys like Herrera. Terrible in the league, getting knocked out of Europe by Progress despite spending about £10m on players. I couldn’t even get angry at Progress that night. They were the better side and deserved the win.

Stevie G

Pros - Still a work in progress, however has bought well for the most part and instilled a sense of pride back in our team. A classy guy too who represents the sort of values we expect at Rangers. Old Firm scuddings are a thing of the past. We can go toe to toe with them again for the first time in years. Have been excellent in Europe. If a player doesn’t want to be here, he’s out the door quickly. Wants winners in the team. Has built an excellent back room team too.

Cons - Arses have collapsed after Christmas the last two seasons. Makes subs too late to have an impact on games. No cup wins, it’s one thing losing a final to an offiside goal, but we shouldnt be going out to a Hearts side bottom of the league.

Last edited:

Pros - HAd the measure of the SPL. Bought well and forged team spirit....we never lost a battle, and therefore won the war.

Cons - Apart from 92/93, we were poor in Europe. No interest in youth football. Scouting was hit and miss with cheque book almost always utilised.

Dick Advocaat -

Pros - Quickly built a team who won the league back. Not just expensive signings - Rod Wallace on a free was a great bit of business. Romped the league in his first season. Insisted on a state of the art training facility which is still in use today. Barry Ferguson...and some tim slaying.

Cons - Again, fell well short of the mark in Europe considering the outlay. Some humiliating defeats to the scum and towards the end of his tenure, he totally lost the dressing room. Woeful how badly he bought the summer O Neill arrived...didn't improve us at all. Also underestimated MON and his style entirely.

Big Eck -

Pros - Built a team on a budget, numerous trophies, league wins and got to the last 16 in the Champions League. Five trophies in a row including some classic wins. Signed some great players - Prso, Novo, Boyd, Lovenkrands. Helicopter Sunday.

Cons - For every good player he signed, he signed 3 absolutely terrible players. I could be here all day listing them. A third place finish in the league despite the last 16 of the CL in the same season.4-2-4, and substituting full back for full back when out of ideas.

Paul le Guen

Pros - Played very well in Europe. Brought McGregor into the first team and also signed a few players such as Hemdani who were mainstays in the squad for a few years. Was very big on bringing young players through.

Cons - Hopeless domestically. Escaping with a home draw to Celtic was probably the highlight of his time at Ibrox. Signed players totally unsuited to Scottish football....and could not grasp why these players failed. He seemed to believe somehow teams would just stop being physical and give us time.

Walter Smith (2nd spell)

Pros - A lot of pros here. Manchester being the biggest one - I’ve cried twice with happiness in my adult life - once when my daughter was born, and when Novo scored that penalty against Fiorentina. Dominated domestically again. So much so that the only league victory that Celtic got (apart from the first season when he came in in the January) was when they vetoed extending the season for their non existent tour of Japan. Signed some great players - Weir, Boogie, Jelavic, Miller, Beasley, and even Jig who took it tight on here, however proved himself to be one of the most loyal Rangers men of his generation. Even outside Manchester, we had some great results in Europe. Drawing at Old Trafford to a world class Man Utd team and beating Lyon 3-0 away.

Cons - Still struggled in Europe at times. Perhaps left too early and his supreme confidence in McCoist was wildly misplaced. Could have helped club hire proper replacement imho.

Super Ally

Pros - Very few other than refusing to ever accept title stripping. However the board at that time would NEVER have overseen any sort of success or growth.

Cons - Chose to use journeymen to complete 'journey' rather than any sort of planning, training a joke, as was fitness.

Mark Warburton

Pros - Built a full team for next to nothing, walked the Championship and got us back where we belonged. Beating the scum in the cup semi which I believe cost Deila his job.

Cons - In his second season, we should have strengthened the squad and instead he bought has-been bench warmers. Kranjcar was a great player at his peak but I doubt he went more than 3 weeks without an injury. Barton wasn’t Rangers level or Rangers class. Senderos was one of the worst defenders I’ve ever seen in a Rangers shirt. Would have been better with a plank of wood stuck in the 18 yard line during the game at Parkhead and it would have done a better job than him. He made Morton look good at Ibrox....like Le Guen seemed unable to grasp the nature of the league we played in.

Pedro Caixhina.

Pros - Signed some good players - Morelos, Candeias. Shouted at Sutton on the telly. That’s about it.

Cons - Where to start? Also signed some expensive players who were woeful. Left Waghorn who was more than capable of doing a job for us out of the squad in place of guys like Herrera. Terrible in the league, getting knocked out of Europe by Progress despite spending about £10m on players. I couldn’t even get angry at Progress that night. They were the better side and deserved the win.

Stevie G

Pros - Brought in to give everyone a boost...like a Souness figure. And he did. Lots of excitement and jerseys sold etc. Brought in apparently decent back room team....good reputations anyway. Had ideas on how to play. Done very well in Europe.....probably more lucrative signing than successful one so far.

Cons - Slightly stuck in the 'system' and the system is not really ideal for SPL. Cannot maintain discipline over a whole season. Signs too many players who are neat and tidy but not at all 'hard' mentally or physically. Seems hard pressed to change games much when they have settled into a pattern.

From the OPs list:

Smith (1): great domestically, won 9IAR; generally poor in Europe. (8/10)

Advocaat: great start with a treble and a double, played some fabulous football and finally had us looking the part on the continent.
Then the wheels came off the bus and the last two seasons were awful for the money spent. (7/10)

McLeish: Either great or dreadful. A treble in his first season; third place in his last. In between last sixteen of the CL. (7/10)

Le Guen: shite all round. (4/10)

Smith (2): a UEFA Cup final in his first full season but then another couple of dreadful European campaigns that brought back some previous nightmares. Domestic dominance was a great achievement against a Yahoo side with greater resources though. (9/10)

McCoist: I know it was the lower divisions and we were just thankful to be alive, but let’s be honest, he was terrible. (4/10).

Warburton: Did what we pretty much expected him to. Played some nice football in the second tier, had one great result against them, then looked totally out of his depth back in the top flight. (5/10)

Caixinha: the biggest imposter to have ever sat in the managers chair. (1/10)

Gerrard: the anti-Smith - great in Europe, poor domestically. Threatening to become our version of Father Burns, but up against it financially. (7/10)

The rest from my lifetime, briefly:

Wallace (1): 8/10 - two trebles in three years, battle fever, Gullane Sands. Legend.

Greig: 6/10 - some cups and a decent.
European run early on; after that, awful.

Wallace (2): 6/10 - a false dawn. Gave us some hunger back but still toiled in the league every season.

Souness: 9/10 - took us out of the doldrums to position us, for a brief moment in time, as the biggest, richest club in Britain . . . and with the arrogance and swagger to match. Timbo despised him, conversely we loved him.
My hero!

I feel old reading threads like this . I remember Grieg and Wallace twice being manager . I have to say cauxinha and le guen just shouldn’t be on that list . Two horrific appointments

Walter Smith’s second spell, when we took the lead in a tight game you breathed a sigh of relief because you knew the game was over the the 3 points were in the bag.

Walter

no cons from either spell as he simply was a winner and miss him in charge as each game goes by.

Advocaat

spent a fortune delivers what he should have and the chucked it

Big ECK

worked wonders with very little so no cons from me

PLG

nothing to say

Pedro

mental

Warburton

MEH

Super Ally

Very unlucky

Stevie G

on the verge of turning on him

Everyone of them have positives some more than others, the thing is competitive sport isn’t an exact science and occasionally things don’t work out.
Each and every one of them are now in the Rangers tapestry and even if some weren’t as successful as others they were Rangers Managers and should have our respect as being so

Starting from when I first went to a game

Jock Wallace - the signs of recovery were there with a couple of cup wins but the squad was generally poor and we were on the wrong trajectory. Bringing in Holmes and Souness changed that.

Souness - kickstarted the recovery with his sheer magnificence. He demanded the best of people and generally got it. Signed top quality British players with experience of playing in better leagues (helped by the English ban from European competition, but had the nous and backing to capitalise on that). Cant't thin of any negatives.

Smith - learned from brilliant managers in Jim McLean and Souness. It is no suprise he was successful. With Murray's financial backing he brought in quality players and we dominated the league for almost all of his time in charge (twice). The only negatives were not getting more out of top players like Salenko, Van Vossen, Miko, Boli. In his second spell 2008 stands out a mile, will never forget us being in a European final and it seems less and less likely to ever happen in our lifetime.

Advocaat - took the team to a higher level with even better players and delivered some of the best ever performances in Europe but never really hit the heights we could've gone to. Wasn't helped by Celtc's resurgence.

McLeish - did very well under the financial restrictions he worked with. Never as tactically aware as Advocaat but benefited (like Smith) from having learned from one of the greatest Scottish managers ever in Ferguson.

PLG - inexperienced and not cut out for it. The only positive is he signed Papac although that is also a negative as it's all we heard every game from Crocker for about 5 years.

McCoist - unfortunate to have been in charge through the Whyte/Green/Spiv era but should've been blowing competition away in the Championship. Not getting promoted (although he chucked it half way through) was disastrous (special mention for McDowall and McCall at this point). I wouldn't bet against him getting the job when Gerrard goes.

Warburton - (edit - totally forgot about him!) - played some pretty but very ineffective football. High point dumping Celtc out the cup, low point failing to win the fucker. If he could sign a proper defender and get them to defend well he'd have done a shit ton better.

Pedro - the less said the better. Unmitigated flop.

Murty - It just isn't fair what they did to him. Never cut out for it. Tried his hardest. Does a cracking headstand though.

Jimmy Nicholl - special mention for an undefeated record.

Gerrard - has taken us back up a level to challenging Celtc. I think it's too early to judge him. He could turn out to be the next Souness yet. His biggest mistake, for me, was not registering himself in the first season. That would have given us such a boost on the field. That inspirational leader we lacked and still do to an extent. He'd have strolled it here.

Last edited:
Walter's 2nd spell was wonderful - I genuinely went into every game thinking we'd win (some Champions League fixtures aside).

I remember all the chat when PLG's fate was almost sealed was about how Rangers never really sacked managers and how we have only had a handful of managers throughout the years... then the last few years its been a revolving door at the bottom of the staircase :(

Jock Wallace (1) - My first Rangers manager. Manager when I saw us win the league for the first time, saw my first Scottish and League cup wins, first treble, first European game. Some of my fondest boyhood memories. Highlights were the league win at Easter Road, couple of trebles, centenary cup final, no surrender spirit and bought Davie Cooper, who I'd seen cause us havoc in a cup tie and 2 replays. My dad told me what Rangers were all about. Jock and his teams showed me.

John Greig - Couple of fantastic European results, but like everyone else, my fondest memories will be of him as a great player.

Jock Wallace (2) - Probably didn't help he was neither first nor second choice for the job and everyone knew it. Same spirit and a memorable league cup final, but just couldn't replicate his first spell. His second spell in no way tarnished my man love for Jock.

Souness - Completely transformed the club, the support and the whole of Scottish football. Loved the guy and was gutted when and how it ended, but in retrospect it was probably for the best.

Walter - Without doubt my favourite manager. Two very different spells in charge in terms of the circumstances at the club, but he fair piled up the trophies in both spells. Some justifiable criticism of our European performances, but that said, I was in Marseilles knowing a win would take us to the CL Final and was in Manchester for the UEFA Cup Final. Doubt I'll experience that again. Always felt strangely reassured when I glanced toward the bench and Walter was standing there.

PLG - Disaster

Ally - Like John Greig, I'll remember him as the legendary player he was and gloss over most of his management stint.

Pedro - Disaster

Stevie G - Overperformed in Europe. Underperformed domestically. Brought welcome publicity and kudos to the club. Jury is out. Needs a trophy this season. In fact, realistically he probably needs the league this season.

I started going to games in the late 60s--just after Waddell took over. Loved big Jock,John Greig was my favourite player but failed as a manager, Souness years were a roller coaster of excitement with wonderful signings--Butcher,woods,Roberts etc but he was too volatile to last. Walter brought consistent results and Scottish domination with Laudrup and Gascoigne as the pinnacle of my Rangers supporting years. Advocaat spent fortunes and we enjoyed some great football until the financial downturn and cutbacks.Big Eck did well on a limited budget and then Le Guen brought hope and despair,Walter steadied the ship,restored pride and took us to our first European final in almost 30 years. The Whyte takeover started the wilderness years and the disasters that followed. Warburton briefly sparked optimism and the King takeover provided light but the tunnel has been long and we are still in it.

Lovenkrands was an Advocaat signing and Ferguson was not brought through the ranks under Eck. He got his chance through Advocaat which at 20 year old was ripping the pish out of some of Europe’s best midfielders.

Dick Advocaat -

Pros - Quickly built a team who won the league back. Not just expensive signings - Rod Wallace on a free was a great bit of business. Romped the league in his first season. Insisted on a state of the art training facility which is still in use today. Barry Ferguson...and some tim slaying.

Cons - Again, fell well short of the mark in Europe considering the outlay. Some humiliating defeats to the scum and towards the end of his tenure, he totally lost the dressing room. Woeful how badly he bought the summer O Neill arrived...didn't improve us at all. Also underestimated MON and his style entirely.

Big Eck -

Pros - Built a team on a budget, numerous trophies, league wins and got to the last 16 in the Champions League. Five trophies in a row including some classic wins. Signed some great players - Prso, Novo, Boyd, Lovenkrands. Helicopter Sunday.

Cons - For every good player he signed, he signed 3 absolutely terrible players. I could be here all day listing them. A third place finish in the league despite the last 16 of the CL in the same season.4-2-4, and substituting full back for full back when out of ideas.

Agree with most of that. I believe Barry made his debut under Walter but it wasn’t until Advocaat for Ferguson to truly excel.

The one I disagree with is Lovenkrands. I’m pretty sure he signed under Advocaat in the summer of 2000. If memory serves me correctly we also signed our most expensive GK then too.
The whole Advocaat upstairs thing blurs the lines on some other signings. Although Eck was manager it was Advocaat that identified and put the deal for Arteta in place.

Jock Wallace, Souness and Walter have been my favourites.

However just like whoever pulls on the blue jersey whoever sits in the managers seat will always get my full support.

Everyone who has been mentioned on the thread has been privileged to manage our great club.

Was born in 85 so don’t really remember Souness, so looking at it from Walter Smith’s first spell. Also not including caretaker managers.

Pros - Almost total domination domestically. Signed legendary players such as Gazza, Laudrup, and Goram. An untainted 9 in a Row where we had a side with excellent character.

Cons - Apart from 92, we were poor in Europe. Signing Ally Maxwell. How he ever got a game in that Rangers team is beyond me. Even as a wee boy I bricked it when I seen that he was on the team sheet.

Dick Advocaat -

Pros - Quickly built a team who won the league back. Not just expensive signings - Rod Wallace on a free was a great bit of business. Romped the league in his first season. Insisted on a state of the art training facility which is still in use today.

Cons - Again, fell well short of the mark in Europe considering the outlay. Some humiliating defeats to the scum and towards the end of his tenure, he totally lost the dressing room.

Big Eck -

Pros - Built a team on a budget, numerous trophies, league wins and got to the last 16 in the Champions League. Signed some great players - Prso, Novo, Boyd, Lovenkrands. Brought Barry Ferguson through form the youth ranks. Helicopter Sunday.

Cons - For every good player he signed, he signed 3 absolutely terrible players. I could be here all day listing them. A third place finish in the league despite the last 16 of the CL in the same season. I also found that every league win under Eck was where we just scraped the league which I suppose was very sweet to put the scum to the sword in the last day of the season but I also felt we got lucky a few times.

Paul le Guen

Pros - Played very well in Europe. Brought McGregor into the first team and also signed a few players such as Hemdani who were mainstays in the squad for a few years. Was very big on bringing young players thro

Cons - Hopeless domestically. Escaping with a home draw to Celtic was probably the highlight of his time at Ibrox. Signed players totally unsuited to Scottish football.

Walter Smith (2nd spell)

Cons - Still struggled in Europe at times. Signed a few stinkers such as Rothen. Other than that I don’t have many complaints. Being a Rangers fan during that period was great.

Super Ally

Pros - This one is hard to judge considering the circumstances during his tenure. Started off well in the league. I always felt that the “board” would have let our titles be stripped if Ally wasn’t there. Built a team from nothing that took us to the Championship. Signed some players who, despite getting a slagging on here, done the job for us at the time - Mohsni springs to mind. Brought Kenny Miller back to the club who scored many important goals for us.

Cons - Early exit in the cup in his first season. His time in the Championship was probably my worst, most testing period as a Rangers fan however I will say that wasn’t totally his fault, the club was a mess at the time.

Mark Warburton

Cons - In his second season, we should have strengthened the squad and instead he bought has-been bench warmers. Kranjcar was a great player at his peak but I doubt he went more than 3 weeks without an injury. Barton wasn’t Rangers level or Rangers class. Senderos was one of the worst defenders I’ve ever seen in a Rangers shirt. Would have been better with a plank of wood stuck in the 18 yard line during the game at Parkhead and it would have done a better job than him. He made Morton look good at Ibrox.

Pedro Caixhina.

Stevie G

Pros - Still a work in progress, however has bought well for the most part and instilled a sense of pride back in our team. A classy guy too who represents the sort of values we expect at Rangers. Old Firm scuddings are a thing of the past. We can go toe to toe with them again for the first time in years. Have been excellent in Europe. If a player doesn’t want to be here, he’s out the door quickly. Wants winners in the team. Has built an excellent back room team too.

Cons - Arses have collapsed after Christmas the last two seasons. Makes subs too late to have an impact on games. No cup wins, it’s one thing losing a final to an offiside goal, but we shouldnt be going out to a Hearts side bottom of the league.

Eck didn't bring Barry through.

From the OPs list:

Smith (1): great domestically, won 9IAR; generally poor in Europe. (8/10)

Advocaat: great start with a treble and a double, played some fabulous football and finally had us looking the part on the continent.
Then the wheels came off the bus and the last two seasons were awful for the money spent. (7/10)

McLeish: Either great or dreadful. A treble in his first season; third place in his last. In between last sixteen of the CL. (7/10)

Le Guen: shite all round. (4/10)

Smith (2): a UEFA Cup final in his first full season but then another couple of dreadful European campaigns that brought back some previous nightmares. Domestic dominance was a great achievement against a Yahoo side with greater resources though. (9/10)

McCoist: I know it was the lower divisions and we were just thankful to be alive, but let’s be honest, he was terrible. (4/10).

Warburton: Did what we pretty much expected him to. Played some nice football in the second tier, had one great result against them, then looked totally out of his depth back in the top flight. (5/10)

Caixinha: the biggest imposter to have ever sat in the managers chair. (1/10)

Gerrard: the anti-Smith - great in Europe, poor domestically. Threatening to become our version of Father Burns, but up against it financially. (7/10)

The rest from my lifetime, briefly:

Wallace (1): 8/10 - two trebles in three years, battle fever, Gullane Sands. Legend.

Greig: 6/10 - some cups and a decent.
European run early on; after that, awful.

Wallace (2): 6/10 - a false dawn. Gave us some hunger back but still toiled in the league every season.

Souness: 9/10 - took us out of the doldrums to position us, for a brief moment in time, as the biggest, richest club in Britain . . . and with the arrogance and swagger to match. Timbo despised him, conversely we loved him.
My hero!
Big Eck signed Lovenkrands??

That’s a strange one considering he scored in Dick’s last old firm in the 2-1 defeat at the piggery a month before he left:))

Alternative slant on this
Games that Define that specific manager In your time

Waddell - ECWC 3-2 win Moscow Dynamo

Wallace - league 1-1 Easter Road Stops 10

Greig - league 4-2 defeat v them league decider at sty

Wallace - league cup win v them 3-2

Souness - league - Ne’er day sun at Ibrox 2-0 v them , destroyed then that day

Walter - league win 3-1 them at Ibrox Bo Anderson

Wee Dick - CL v Bayern any of the two games
When will we see a team dominate and get minimal rewards against that caliber of opposition

Big Eck - league Hellicopter Sunday

Le Guen - Livorno away

Walter - league cup again 9 men win

Super Ally - league last minute equiliser for st mirren at Ibrox In a 1-1 draw the game that started the collapse

Warburton Sc semi win pens against the odds v them

Pedro - Uefa qualifier Progress away a disgrace

Stevie G - league 29th Dec last season at the sty 1-2 win marvellous

Symon too young to remember,
White ditto
Waddell ditto
Wallace fantastic, only downside Europe,
Greig started out full of optimism should have had the treble first season plus a great run in Europe then turned to shit.
Wallace stabilised the ship then got stuck.
Souness revolution is a good name for it , fantastic for the most part.
Smith , domestically sound but Europe was beginning to be a bigger “thing” and bar that one year he was rubbish.
Advocaat , best football I had seen us play , modern quick but hell was it an expensive side.
Eck, brought back some pride gave us all a great season or two but some horrible stuff as well.
Le Guen, optimism all over the shop which turned to shit pretty quickly.
Smith, great second spell except for Kaunas.
McCoist, shudders!
Warburton, thought he was going to be the man until promotion:(
Pedro, disgrace.
Gerrard, high hopes, has a difficult time because of the money disparity but still high hopes.

Walter first time - Almost foot perfect domestically but found out in Europe, generally against top opposition but some shockers in there as well.

Advocaat - Probably the best football I've seen us play for 2 years, totally dominant domestically. Generally competed well in Europe but ultimately underachieved by not making it through the group stages.

Struggled for the next year and a half when they brought O'Neill in and seemed to lose it completely domestically, the 6-2 defeat was the beginning of the end.

McLeish - Fantastic job to win 5 trophies out of 5 available, winning the treble in 2002-03 and getting 97 points against a mentally challenged side of supposed superstars was some going.

Lacked consistency however as whenever we had a good season this tended to be followed by total dross the following year, 2003-04 and 2005-06.

Got to the last 16 in CL in 2005-06 but finished third in the league.

PLG - Disaster domestically, did OK in Europe, some like to make out that we were great in Europe under him but he didn't do much more than you'd expect from a semi-competent Rangers side.

Walter Smith II - Brilliant times; I was just leaving school/turning 18 when he took us to Manchester, cleaned up domestically as well. European runs after Manchester weren't great but he more than made up for it domestically on a fraction of his previous budget.

Ally Mccoist- Dreadful overall. The Administration and what happened from February 2012 onwards meant that people forgot that we'd blown a huge lead at the top. The wheels started coming off as soon as we dropped points at home to St Mirren that season.

Grateful for what he did in terms of pulling the club together in our darkest days and should rightly be remembered for this but in terms of football management not much to be positive about.

Kenny McDowall - Christ.

Stuart McCall - Would have probably been better placed to take the job when we first went to Division 3? Can't remember too much but we were limping towards third before he came in; Motherwell play off was a disaster.

Warburton - Breath of fresh air when he came in and played with a style the fans enjoyed to watch. Great result against Celtic in the Cup but turning point was the defeat to Hibs in the final.

His own stubbornness and refusal to adapt cost him as we returned to top league, woeful record away from home even the season before we were beaten twice at Falkirk and Hibs in the league. Some questionable recruitment and his cowardly handling of the Barton situation didn't help.

Pedro - Hadnt heard of him when he came in, best performance was probably his first game at home to Hamilton. Generally clueless who gave us some of our most embarrassing moments on and off the pitch. Getting beat by Progres in Europe then arguing with fans in a bush.

I believe he gets credit for signing Morelos, if so thats an obvious positive.

Murty - Should have stuck to the youths. There was a degree of optimism for a spell, we could have really put them under pressure by winning the OF at Ibrox, somehow managed to get beat despite leading twice and them going down to 10 men.

He'd chucked it even before our 5-0 defeat at Parkhead came out with something along the lines of 'I just stand at the side' before the game!

Seems to be doing well wirh the Youths now.

Gerrard- Has definately improved us domestically and given us some respect back in Europe. Has us regularly competing/beating the filth in one off games but has to deliver silverware this season. Ideally the league.

Sourness/Walter/advocate/McLeish no complaints for different reasons all winners.

SG desperate for him to win something as some of the football we’ve played has been superb however every away domestic game at present has me doubting we will win no idea why were so shite away from home

I would be very Interested to see how warburton had done with the backing of Pedro and Gerrard , can’t remember him spending even 1 million on a signing , Pedro and Gerrard were given 10 m plus each season

It says a lot for the difference in Walter and Dicks management styles that Walter has been observing Ferguson in the reserves but didn’t deem him good enough to make the step up whereas advocaat came in took one look at Fergie and decided to promote him to first team and make him captain, a helluva decision that was and all credit to Fergie for accepting such a responsibility, how difficult must it have been for him to enter the first team dressing room and instantly be in charge of the pros already there!!!!

It says a lot for the difference in Walter and Dicks management styles that Walter has been observing Ferguson in the reserves but didn’t deem him good enough to make the step up whereas advocaat came in took one look at Fergie and decided to promote him to first team and make him captain, a helluva decision that was and all credit to Fergie for accepting such a responsibility, how difficult must it have been for him to enter the first team dressing room and instantly be in charge of the pros already there!!!!

On the flip side Walter played Gattuso all season, Dick took one look at him and deemed him not good enough. A few years later he was winning the champions league with AC Milan.

Barry Ferguson made his debut under Walter at the end of the 96-97 season. He then made 11 appearances under him in the 97-98 season.

I remember being over the moon when we announced Paul le Guen. Felt like a proper, modern manager who would be so tactically astute and able to read and win games just on his management prowess alone we would win everything going.

Was slightly different in reality.

Back