Rangers meet with Facebook and Instagram - Statement

Not on Social Media at the moment but i'll bet good money the first few comments were from the unwashed, ironically dishing out cowardly faceless abuse.

Heard on the radio a few days ago that English clubs are considering a blanket ban on social media for a week which all clubs will take part in.

I’m delighted the club are trying to do something but we need significant backing from other teams and some of the social media big hitters

You need to provide identification to put a bet on line nowadays. Something that developed as the industry grew. Should now be same with social media.

Good job Rangers.

This isn’t a criticism, but I’m surprised Twitter weren’t involved in discussions as I imagine abuse is more prevalent on that than Facebook.

Proud Rangers are pushing this.

Good on the club for doing this but the social media companies don’t care enough to act upon it imo.

Not on Social Media at the moment but i'll bet good money the first few comments were from the unwashed, ironically dishing out cowardly faceless abuse.
It,s a certainty. Being devils advocate we could do with cleaning up our own act on our forums and giving our enemies ammunition.

Well done to Rangers for following it through the racial insults on social media have been horrible and numerous. You get the feeling there will be more pressure from other sports following Rangers example.

I’m relatively new to Facebook, I saw a comment which had blatantly a racist undertone so I reported it. Facebook came back after a review and said it didn’t breach their rules. Mind boggling.

I commend the club for this, but until social media start clamping down on what’s being said already and seeing it as racist, then it won’t matter if it’s a verified account or not.

I’m relatively new to Facebook, I saw a comment which had blatantly a racist undertone so I reported it. Facebook came back after a review and said it didn’t breach their rules. Mind boggling.

I commend the club for this, but until social media start clamping down on what’s being said already and seeing it as racist, then it won’t matter if it’s a verified account or not.
Did you ask for the decision to be reviewed mate? Trust me it’s worth it . Takes two minutes , click “ review “ then “ hate speech “ and I can almost gaurantee you it will get removed .

I’ve done it three times this month with “ Hun” . Their default when you first report anything is that it doesn’t breach their standards . You need to ask for review for someone to actually look at it .

That’s a problem I mentioned in a thread last week. Verification is a step forward and may stop some of the casual abuse from normal people who’d keep their mouth shut normally. But it won’t end abuse because not all abuse is illegal so there’s no reason for them to release peoples details. If somebody slags somebody’s dead relative, there’s nothing in there for an algorithm to throw up and nothing illegal for the police to get involved. Boyd mentioned somebody saying “I hope your brother watched the game today”. That’s very hurtful but there nothing actionable. Peoples details won’t be openly accessible to the public so nobody will be going to peoples employers to get them in trouble for that kind of abuse and not everybody’s employed anyway.

I don’t think the idea of an ID will work to be honest. How do you verify it is a real ID? In cooperation with world governments? What if that person exposes something in a regime that is commiting bad bad things? They’ll be taken out swiftly as it won’t require the government to put much effort into it. Btw, I agree more has to be done.

Fair play to the club for this

Realistically it will take the big advertisers to boycott these platforms for anything to happen because hitting them in the pocket that's when you'll start to see real change

We could ban the ‘H’ word on FF, it’s typed quite a lot.
A filter could easily be put in with a star in the middle. I’ve copy and pasted stuff before and changed it or blanked it in screenshots. If you look at KDS every 2nd post has that word in it. Often followed by “bastards” or “carrots”(their filter for cnts).

It's good that we're doing this as a consciousness raising exercise around how people behave online but I don't see the big social media companies ever introducing identification in order to register. Additional bureaucracy, having to comply with different data protection laws across different countries etc. Plus, users may be put off by it being more difficult to register which means fewer users on their platform which means less advertising revenue. Users may just look for another platform that doesn't require identification.

Good job Rangers.

This isn’t a criticism, but I’m surprised Twitter weren’t involved in discussions as I imagine abuse is more prevalent on that than Facebook.

Proud Rangers are pushing this.
Facebook are Twitter same company different platforms EB so that will be covered

Good on the club for doing this but the social media companies don’t care enough to act upon it imo.
Thats my thoughts also, good on the club for doing this , but I don't feel these companies care enough to do much, hopefully we get proved wrong.

You need to provide identification to put a bet on line nowadays. Something that developed as the industry grew. Should now be same with social media.
I remember raising this on here before about requiring ID to create an account and a few posters (can’t remember who) basically saying thar the idea was a lot of shite and unmanageable.

Its a no brainer. Social media need to get a grip on this

Very strong words from Rangers in that statement.
Our own support should take heed. Zero tolerance is where we are now.
I'm also wondering what this could lead to. Is what Rangers are asking for, in terms of individual privacy, a step too far? And could we see social media platforms singling out football supporters for unreasonable punishments.
It's worth remembering the scrapped, hated offensive behaviour at football act had dedicated legislation to punish online abuse. It's all well and good in theory, but in reality that act was abused and used unfairly against football supporters by Scottish authorities.

I'm getting Instagram posts from Rangers today.
Is it just Facebook and Twitter that the club have come off for a week?

Any chance they could maybe start banning inappropriate content sometime ever? The racist abuse, abuse to the 66, stuff about Prince phillip and some other disgusting anti English stuff. Not one went against standards. One word about macfuhrer, 3 day rest. Its pathetic

The people who run these platforms don’t care.
Their God is cash and they have made billions from it.
It’s going to take the concerted actions of governments to change this.
And none of them have the courage.

I would love to see football set up its own social media platform that the big clubs invest in and pay for it to be monitored.
It would make a fortune as loads of advertisers would move to support this and they would also have control over their own material.

I am surprised that football/sports in general has not woken up to the potential of running their own social media that they can charge for

It’s a bit like running your own club TV station.

As a club, we take a zero-tolerance approach to all forms of racism and discrimination. We believe faceless online perpetrators should be held accountable. It is vital that our players and staff are protected online.

This should include Jimmy bell who hated a bigoted hate campaign launched against him for months online purely cause people believed him to be of a certain religious and political background

Fair play to the club for pursuing this.

But I'd say the reality is that these social media firms are not bothered. They are just paying lip service.

Unfortunately I don't see much changing. Would love to be wrong though.

Probably one club alone will not make a difference no matter who they are, if other top clubs across the world follow our lead then these social media firms will take notice.

An anti racism ambassador who has a high social media profile would also help.

Fair play to the club but the truth is these social media platforms don’t care. Social media is one of the worst things to have ever happened to humanity.
Bit over the top mate, worse than mass genocide or the polar ice cap melting? Maybe a bit less hyperbole otherwise your point loses value.

Back