Rangers midfield v Marseille midfield

BRaven

Pre season friendly, nothing much to take from this but it's interesting to compare the fees involved considering the way the game panned out. Just a quick scan at the prices.

Our starting trio-300k
Theirs- Strootman €25m, Payet €29m, Gustavo €10m

Almost €69 million of a difference.

Last edited:
It just shows you that unless you get to the top end of the market you cannot buy genuine quality I.e Hazard, Griezman, Neymar, Bale, Ronaldo...the gulf between a £5m player and a £25m isn't 5x the quality. It's completely disproportionate and long may it continue as it allows us to punch above our weight and bring in squad changing fees for Morelos and Tav down the line.
Nobody can tell me Celtic paying £7m on their bombscare is going to be twice the player of our signing with endorsements from Gerrard, Donadoni, Gattuso

Someone put a post up the other day about the teams we could face in the europa 3rd round and a lot of them i would say would be on a par with this marseille team and yes it was only a friendly but our midfield has a great look about it and we could be a match for any side in the europa in my opinion

McGregor - free
Tavernier - £250k
Goldson - £3m
Edmundson -£700k
Barisic - £2.2m
Jack - free
Davis - free
Aribo - 300k Dev. fee
Candeias - £720k
Morelos - £1m
Jones - free
- £8.1m

Mandanda - £3m
Amavi - £9m
Caleta-Car - £19m
Gustavo - £10m
Germain - £8m
Kamara - Academy
Payet - £29m
Sakai - free
Sanson - £9m
Strootman - £25m
Thauvin - £10m
- £113m

Last edited:
McGregor - free
Tavernier - £250k
Goldson - £3m
Edmundson -£700k
Barisic - £2.2m
Jack - free
Davis - free
Aribo - loan
Candeias - £720k
Morelos - £1m
Jones - free
- £7.8m

Mandanda - £3m
Amavi - £9m
Caleta-Car - £19m
Gustavo - £10m
Germain - £8m
Kamara - Academy
Payet - £29m
Sakai - free
Sanson - £9m
Strootman - £25m
Thauvin - £10m
- £113m

We bought Aribo for a Development fee mate. £300k

McGregor - free
Tavernier - £250k
Goldson - £3m
Edmundson -£700k
Barisic - £2.2m
Jack - free
Davis - free
Aribo - loan
Candeias - £720k
Morelos - £1m
Jones - free
- £7.8m

Mandanda - £3m
Amavi - £9m
Caleta-Car - £19m
Gustavo - £10m
Germain - £8m
Kamara - Academy
Payet - £29m
Sakai - free
Sanson - £9m
Strootman - £25m
Thauvin - £10m
- £113m

Not 100% accurate but close enough.

Their team wasn't 10 times better than ours that's for sure.

It's a friendly I know but I expected some class and skill from our opposition.

We got more of a game from Aberdeen at Ibrox in April.

Pre season friendly, nothing much to take from this but it's interesting to compare the fees involved considering the way the game panned out. Just a quick scan at the prices.

Our starting trio-300k
Theirs- Strootman €25m, Payet €29m, Gustavo €10m

Almost €69 million of a difference.

It showed too. They’re lucky we didn’t bring our big money buy Kamara on earlier

Someone put a post up the other day about the teams we could face in the europa 3rd round and a lot of them i would say would be on a par with this marseille team and yes it was only a friendly but our midfield has a great look about it and we could be a match for any side in the europa in my opinion

The problem on the EL is the teams that join later from the CL.

It just shows you that unless you get to the top end of the market you cannot buy genuine quality I.e Hazard, Griezman, Neymar, Bale, Ronaldo...the gulf between a £5m player and a £25m isn't 5x the quality. It's completely disproportionate and long may it continue as it allows us to punch above our weight and bring in squad changing fees for Morelos and Tav down the line.
Nobody can tell me Celtic paying £7m on their bombscare is going to be twice the player of our signing with endorsements from Gerrard, Donadoni, Gattuso

Endorsments mean nothing. Grezda was endorsed by his international manager. One thing I know about football is that managers, pundits and ex-players invariably talk shite, absolute shite.

I think it's wrong to expect a £25m player to be 5x better than a £5m player. Clubs are paying for marginal returns with their extra investment in players. That extra £20m on a player may only be paying for a few extra goals in a few big games per season.

Endorsments mean nothing. Grezda was endorsed by his international manager. One thing I know about football is that managers, pundits and ex-players invariably talk shite, absolute shite.

I think it's wrong to expect a £25m player to be 5x better than a £5m player. Clubs are paying for marginal returns with their extra investment in players. That extra £20m on a player may only be paying for a few extra goals in a few big games per season.
I appreciate that, sometimes the small margins are worth the outlay absolutely (within reason)
I certainly accept the endorsement point because it was Italian Legend Panucci ( much like Donadoni perhaps) who had Grezda as a world beater...on paper Grezda and his £1.5m-£2m margins should have been enough to win extra points...it clearly wasn't

McGregor - free
Tavernier - £250k
Goldson - £3m
Edmundson -£700k
Barisic - £2.2m
Jack - free
Davis - free
Aribo - loan
Candeias - £720k
Morelos - £1m
Jones - free
- £7.8m

Mandanda - £3m
Amavi - £9m
Caleta-Car - £19m
Gustavo - £10m
Germain - £8m
Kamara - Academy
Payet - £29m
Sakai - free
Sanson - £9m
Strootman - £25m
Thauvin - £10m
- £113m

Wow, mental when you see it like that ... laughable really and we pissed all over them today.

McGregor - free
Tavernier - £250k
Goldson - £3m
Edmundson -£700k
Barisic - £2.2m
Jack - free
Davis - free
Aribo - loan
Candeias - £720k
Morelos - £1m
Jones - free
- £7.8m

Mandanda - £3m
Amavi - £9m
Caleta-Car - £19m
Gustavo - £10m
Germain - £8m
Kamara - Academy
Payet - £29m
Sakai - free
Sanson - £9m
Strootman - £25m
Thauvin - £10m
- £113m

Thing we have underestimate imo is that these players at that cost should be fit despite us being ahead by a week or so and that their quality should still be enough to beat a team costing 9mill.. which speaks volumes for the players we have and their desire

Thing we have underestimate imo is that these players at that cost should be fit despite us being ahead by a week or so and that their quality should still be enough to beat a team costing 9mill.. which speaks volumes for the players we have and their desire

And manager ;)

I said this before and it got rubbished! We should be looking to beat, and are capable of beating any of the potential opponents at home!

We have a young, talented and hard working squad that are desperate to prove themselves. Will win more than a squad of overpaid, overrated egos any day.

It’s laughable the amount of clueless ‘football fans’ that think we’re League 1 standard. We’d piss all over almost all, if not all, Championship clubs!

What has Gattuso said?

We'll be a few weeks ahead fitness wise to marseille though, i'd have been worried if we hadnt won today
Nobody can deny it was an impressive performance but maybe a lot of posters are going a bit OTT for the comparisons of the squads for the reason you have said.

Although I wouldn't say it would have been worrying if we had lost right enough due to the fact it is just a friendly which is sandwiched in between euro qualifiers.

I followed Marseille closely when I lived in the south of france and theres a couple of things to take away from today.
They've had a bit of a torrid time of it since they reached the EL final in 2018. That team there yesterday is what they had last year and AVB has his work cut out big time.
We are a bit ahead of them but that's a team of internationalists all of which come with a price tag beyond anything we can afford.
They did treat like this a training game, not too dissimilar to when even Pedro's pish mustered a draw against them. Wee throw back to Krancjars free kick... Shudder...
That being said we mauled them all over the park.
A few folk I know over there are genuinely blown away at the progression we've had as we watched many games together, they are stunned at how fit we were and technically how we passed and played their team off the park.
Oh, and they're pissed about the sideline on the pitch which looks to have written off Thauvin for several months.

Back