Rangers minor interest in bringing Windass back on loan

And of all the "wigan rejects" or "championship rejects" he's the only one to have made the grade, yes?

It's irrelevant anyway as we've developed Tav ourselves. Windass didn't have what was required, we've seen him 1st hand, and he's not coming back.

There are several players in the squad that this coaching staff have improved massively since arriving. Look at the difference between Ryan Jack in 2017 and Ryan Jack now for example.

Again, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that this coaching group could make Windass a better and more intelligent footballer. The problem for me was Murty indulged his every whim and built the team around his strengths but to our detriment elsewhere on the pitch. Great for Josh, lousy for others who had to do his running for him.

In a more structured formation and better player around him ? Windass improves 100%. There's no question in my mind. The problem for him is that he has lost 18 months of his career down to his daft decision to leave for a shit Wigan team fighting relegation from day one. 18 months under Gerrard and co and he'd be getting talked about for multi million pound moves like others in the squad.

There are several players in the squad that this coaching staff have improved massively since arriving. Look at the difference between Ryan Jack in 2017 and Ryan Jack now for example.

Again, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that this coaching group could make Windass a better and more intelligent footballer. The problem for me was Murty indulged his every whim and built the team around his strengths but to our detriment elsewhere on the pitch. Great for Josh, lousy for others who had to do his running for him.

In a more structured formation and better player around him ? Windass improves 100%. There's no question in my mind. The problem for him is that he has lost 18 months of his career down to his daft decision to leave for a shit Wigan team fighting relegation from day one. 18 months under Gerrard and co and he'd be getting talked about for multi million pound moves like others in the squad.
I don't entirely disagree mate, yet the first thing Gerrard did was get shot of him. Tells a story...

Good sensible post SDF.

Would you take him back though ?

Mind the guy that ran on the pitch and tore up his season ticket on the first day of the season a few years ago in England? We would have similar scenes if Windass comes back.

Couldn't wait to see the back of Windass so let's not bother bringing him back. He's not exactly improved since joining Wigan.

Windass, Allan. No place for these two wasters. Allan is 29 later this year and not had a consistent season in his career. That and the fact he played for the bheggars means he should never be considered.

Good sensible post SDF.

Would you take him back though ?

I honestly don't know.

I think he'd provide us a bigger goal threat than everyone else other than Alfie or Defoe.

I question whether he has the brains or attitude to make the move work. You never know, he might have realised how good he had it up here.

No. A large number are the same ones that wanted Morelos punted for peanuts and Windass retained.
Or you get people like me. Wanted to keep the pair of them.
For the record I think we are a few levels above Windass but I wouldn’t be strongly against him should he sign :))

He's struggling for game time at a team who will be playing their football in the 3rd tier next season.

His record at rangers was pumped up with a large % of his goals against lower league opponents.

If you think he's worthy I'll leave you to it. Thankfully there is zero chance Steven Gerrard will agree with you. Absolutely zero.

Running up goals against weaker opposition has its merits, especially when goal difference might come in to play in the league.

Can’t ever see him starting but as someone to throw on when we are 1 or 2 up against a bottom 6 side? Sounds a perfectly fine concept.

Running up goals against weaker opposition has its merits, especially when goal difference might come in to play in the league.

Can’t ever see him starting but as someone to throw on when we are 1 or 2 up against a bottom 6 side? Sounds a perfectly fine concept.
Fair enough, I don't want him as i think he's an over rated big headed waster. I don't think our manager would take him, for roughly the same reasons.

Lolza

Not good enough and I never thought he had the attitude to play for us.

I'd read - perhaps on here - that he demanded that SG play him through the middle. Unsure if this is true, but he's not good enough in either case.

A total waster and would likely have a detrimental effect on the squad. I wouldn’t let him anywhere near the place. One of the few Rangers players I’ve the last 50 years who I have come close to detesting.

Was half decent for us but as many have said lacked heart and the right attitude. Not the player he himself thought he was.
That said would he offer more than Barker?

It`s a no from me, absolute shitebag with the heart of a mouse. One of the last kants you would want in the trenches with you. Did not have the mental strength nor the winning attitude and determination which is a prerequisite for the current starting 11. Another one that the jersey was too heavy for.

I have, and in my opinion our midfield didn't have a player who unlocks stubborn defences. Stewart can be that player but I also think Allan can be as well. If Gerrard thought Allan could be better than Stewart then I'm for it it. I do t care about the past, 55 is all that matters so I'd be for it if it happened.
I’ll bite. Where would he play in our rigid 433 system that we never change?

I think Gerrard reluctantly let Windass go as Windass wanted to be a starter. Maybe going to Wigan and not even being a regular there he now realises just how lucky he was to be at Rangers. If he now accepts he's part of a big squad then he certainly wouldn't be the worst player to have as part of the squad.

Would be a decent addition to the squad. Has the potential to be a decent player and maybe now realises how lucky he was to have had an opportunity at a club the size of ours. Wouldn't surprise me if he did come back and played out his skin.

I think Gerrard reluctantly let Windass go as Windass wanted to be a starter. Maybe going to Wigan and not even being a regular there he now realises just how lucky he was to be at Rangers. If he now accepts he's part of a big squad then he certainly wouldn't be the worst player to have as part of the squad.

I think we let him go because we got a silly offer that we recognised was the best that we were ever likely to get for him.

Gerrard saw him as playing right of the forward 3 but he didn’t look great there (when we were playing it as a true winger) and Windass was stupid enough to think he’d get to play through the middle ahead of Alfie.

If he came back as a risk free loan to play right inside forward I could see it as a very low risk option.

Have you asked yourself why Wigan would allow him to leave given that they are heading for relegation? You're suggesting that they will allow their best player to leave on loan and go into the relegation battle with the "shite that surrounds him"?

Tbh, I'm not really knowledgable on the details of Wigans team or season so perhaps my comment was a bit flippant. Maybe Wigan would tell us to bolt if we are genuinely interested. He's not exactly set the place alight though as far as I am aware so maybe they'd be looking to cut their losses?

And obviously there's a school of thought that says if he's not good enough for Wigan then no chance he's good enough for us. I get it. But I don't think Windass is the type of player that would suit a blood and thunder relegation battle though, more of a luxury player if you like. We could potentially accommodate that given the work rates and general control of the game that our midfield 3 regularly display.

It sounds like I'm desperate for this to happen but really I'm not. No sleep lost if it turns out to be rumour mill nonsense. I just dont think its the foregone conclusion that it would be a disaster that some posters think. As back up to Kent and Aribo, he would be an interesting option, that's all.

He's struggling for game time at a team who will be playing their football in the 3rd tier next season.

His record at rangers was pumped up with a large % of his goals against lower league opponents.

If you think he's worthy I'll leave you to it. Thankfully there is zero chance Steven Gerrard will agree with you. Absolutely zero.

Have you ever watched Rangers?

He was our second top scorer in the Premier League, I believe he only got one less than Alfredo Morelos!
For the record, that's not against lower league opposition.

He was 3rd top scorer in the league behind Alfie and Kris Boyd.

At a time when the filth had Dembele, Griffiths and Edouard he scored more than any of them.

But aye, he's shite and only scored against lower league teams.

Ha. Not a chance.

The same guy who couldn't handle some criticism from Rangers fans to the extent that he cupped his ears to our support at Thistle.

Could and did score against better opposition but simply not enough to justify bringing him back - a solitary goal against Celtic, two against Hearts, one against Aberdeen and one against Hibs (I think, CBA looking it up) in something like 41 appearances in his last full season indicates someone who can't consistently do it against better teams. An utter waster.

The only Rangers department with minor interest in bringing back Windass would be the Digital team for his daft RTV interviews.

Have you ever watched Rangers?

He was our second top scorer in the Premier League, I believe he only got one less than Alfredo Morelos!
For the record, that's not against lower league opposition.

He was 3rd top scorer in the league behind Alfie and Kris Boyd.

At a time when the filth had Dembele, Griffiths and Edouard he scored more than any of them.

But aye, he's shite and only scored against lower league teams.
Yes every game.

He scored 12 league goals in 17/18 and zero the season before.

You are utterly deluded if you think he's the answer.

There's no chance Gerrard is signing a waster like him, Thankfully.

You can all say what you want but Windass is better than Ojo, Barker, Jones and probably Stewart.

I know who I would rather have had coming off the bench today of it was a choice between him and Ojo

Yes every game.

We have wasters like barker, jones and Ojo getting minutes and contributing next to nothing. I would take windlass before any of them.

Windass scored goals away to sheep twice away to Easter road away to hearts and against Celtic pretty decent for a waster.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

I'll come back and apologise if we sign him and he is a big success (he won't).

Yes every game.

So you watch Rangers every game but had no idea of the goals Windass had scored?

I'd have thought someone who sees every game would know that the majority of his goals were in the Premier League and not have to lie about the opposition he scored against.

You won't find anywhere on this thread where I've said he is or is not the answer, I've already stated that I wasn't sure what to make of the reported interest.

It's a bit rich that you have the front to call anyone deluded when you seem to think Premier League goals are against lower league teams.

So you watch Rangers every game but had no idea of the goals Windass had scored?

I'd have thought someone who sees every game would know that the majority of his goals were in the Premier League and not have to lie about the opposition he scored against.

You won't find anywhere on this thread where I've said he is or is not the answer, I've already stated that I wasn't sure what to make of the reported interest.

It's a bit rich that you have the front to call anyone deluded when you seem to think Premier League goals are against lower league teams.
Please show me where i said it was the majority of his goals.

This point debunks the rest of the utter pish and lies you've just posted.

Please show me where i said it was the majority of his goals.

This point debunks the rest of the utter pish and lies you've just posted.
A large percentage against lower league teams?

75% of them were against Premier League teams!

Not quite debunking anything are you?

He scored exactly the same amount against top 6 sides in that season.
Surely in the interests of fairness you must admit that a 'large percentage' were against the best sides in the country?

I'm not sure why someone who watches every game would be unaware of or deliberately ignore a 'large percentage' of his goals.

Back