Rangers on FM 2020

Some might find this useful

Last edited:
Have caught the FM bug again during this lockdown and have just started the 3rd season with us. Going for 3 in a row and the double treble.

Started the game before the January updates so have Trincao, Hickey etc. Trincao has been unreal and is now listed as a club icon alongside Tav.

Made almost £150m in player sales, selling the likes of Barisic (£32m), Alfie (£33m) & Tav (£35m).

Squad is brimming with talent and the ace in the pack is undoubtedly Erling Haaland who I managed to sign from Salzburg for £34m. Thiago Almada who arrived for £5m at the start of the 2nd season is turning into a cracking player too.

Play a 4-4-2 wide diamond just so my best players can all play at once. Change to a counter attacking 4-4-2 in Europe against the bigger sides. Squad is as follows:

GK - Butland (£0) / McCrorie / Z.Clark (£250k)

DR - Beijmo (£8m) / Hickey (£150k)
DL - Ait-Nouri (£1.2m) / Melling (£4m)
DC - J.Cooper (£10m) / Souttar (£5m) / Adarabioyo (£0) / J.Kerr (£250k)

DM - McCrorie / Wanyama (£0) / Jack
MR - Trincao (£1.8m) / Saka (Loan)
ML - H.Wilson (Loan) / Kent / Middleton
AMC - Almada (£5m) / Alena (Loan) / NYC

ST - Haaland (£34m) / M.Gomez (£16m) / Zirkzee (£4m) / Brewster (Loan)

Squad is stacked but will need to start signing/developing more home grown talent as struggling to make the home grown quota for the CL.

If anyone's looking for a centre half, big Jake Cooper from Millwall has been an absolute machine for me, stick him at the back post for Corners, aim for there and he will get double figures easily! The fact hes 6"7 with 19 jumping reach helps too!!

I’m in January 2020 and - after a slow start where Wolves knocked me out the Europa qualifiers and dropping points left right and centre - I’ve won 9 games on the bounce, beat Celtic in the first Old Firm 2-0, then Davis scored in injury time against them to win the League Cup. Now 4 points behind, which was 8 a few games ago.

Barisic’s goal and assist record is very impressive, Tav’s is decent too. Jordan Jones is also a machine in my game and is my top goal scorer with 15 goals, by far better than Kent.

Sold Goldson for 8 million to Villa, and brought in McKenna for 5 million to replace. He’s been brilliant so far. Lewis Ferguson was 1.2 million also a steal and got Harry Cochrane for 400k, he’s my top rated player in training (followed by Nathan Patterson and Josh McPake). Giving all 3 regular appearances and they’re fitting in well.

One issue is Morelos. His average rating is over 7, but I’m struggling to get regular goals from him. Anyone else finding that?

I’m in January 2020 and - after a slow start where Wolves knocked me out the Europa qualifiers and dropping points left right and centre - I’ve won 9 games on the bounce, beat Celtic in the first Old Firm 2-0, then Davis scored in injury time against them to win the League Cup. Now 4 points behind, which was 8 a few games ago.

Barisic’s goal and assist record is very impressive, Tav’s is decent too. Jordan Jones is also a machine in my game and is my top goal scorer with 15 goals, by far better than Kent.

Sold Goldson for 8 million to Villa, and brought in McKenna for 5 million to replace. He’s been brilliant so far. Lewis Ferguson was 1.2 million also a steal and got Harry Cochrane for 400k, he’s my top rated player in training (followed by Nathan Patterson and Josh McPake). Giving all 3 regular appearances and they’re fitting in well.

One issue is Morelos. His average rating is over 7, but I’m struggling to get regular goals from him. Anyone else finding that?

Yeah Morelos was pretty poor for me in my first season.. he scored 19 goals in about 50 games so was expecting better.

I played him as a pressing forward.

I'm giving him a second season though in hope that he starts scoring more regularly and his value goes up. Currently valued at £13M.

At the January window in season 4 spurs just bought Hickey from me for £46m. Been brilliant at RB for me but couldn't turn it down, now to find a replacement..

Yeah Morelos was pretty poor for me in my first season.. he scored 19 goals in about 50 games so was expecting better.

I played him as a pressing forward.

I'm giving him a second season though in hope that he starts scoring more regularly and his value goes up. Currently valued at £13M.

Exactly how I’m playing him in a 4-3-2-1 High intensity Geggenpress wide formation. Valued at £15.5 million.

MoTM in the 2-0 Old Firm won, anonymous in a lot of other standard games.

The formation works well for other players scoring though. Jordan Jones (top goal scorer and my best player this season), Barisic, Tav, Aribo, Davis, Kent and Lewis Ferguson all chipping in regularly.

Random notes. May enhance your enjoyment.

Forget valuations. End of a season ‘offer to clubs’ Alfredo Connor Borna Joe Niko out for varying amounts 20-40 you will get bites no bother.

I got a bite at 40 alfredo. I then cheated saved game and checked what Brighton would go to. Add ons took it to 93 million.

Get a bite at a highish price then bump up the addons.

Other observation is that end of each season players you have left to rot will reset their fitness to be same as everyone and degraded values go up. Guys you couldnt get 300k for are now going for 2 mil.

This works well if you hoover up bosmans they dont play for a year and suddenly they can go for 10 mil.

Player searches. Find specific top players you like search on them then set it to 16-19 age group notch the attributes down a few ticks to catch 16-17 year olds. Save the search keep revisiting to pick up young talent cheap.

Not interested in a bible of knowing who the best wonderkids are the fun is finding them.

4-1-2-3 - Gegenpress & positive (can change to attacking against weaker sides/when you’re desperate for a goal)

Gk - sweeper keeper support
RB - Complete wingback support
CB - ball playing defender stopper
CB - ball playing defender stopper
LB - Complete wingback support
DM - Regista or even Ball winner depending who you use
MC (r) - box to box support
MC - (l) - mezzala attack
AMR - inside forward attack
AML - inside forward attack
ST - pressing forward attack

In possession: width fairly narrow, overlap left & right, pass into space, play out defence, passing directness standard or more direct, tempo extremely high, time wasting never, low crosses or mixed, run at defence, be more expressive (only against much weaker sides)

in transition: counter press when possession is lost, counter when possession has been won, distribute quickly, distribute to CBS, take short kicks

out of possession: use offside trap, use tighter marking, pressing extremely urgent, prevent short GK distribution. Lines of engagement much higher for final third, higher defensive line for the defence, defensive width narrow.

Your 3 CM roles can be fairly fluid depending on what players you use & what suits them. At the moment mines are DLP defend, BBM & AP support. You can also change one winger to Winger attack instead of inside forward attack if it suits them.

Let me know how you get on mate.

Been using theses player roles and it’s making some difference, was already using the same formation.
With this formation I’ve P15 W12 D2 L1

The Loss was away to Sevilla in the UEFA cup and had already qualified for the knock out stages.
1 draw was away to Celtic and the other at home to St johnston In which I played a lot of youngsters. So far so good.
Overall I’m in February, won the league cup and still unbeaten in the league, 1 point in front with a game in hand .

It's mad the amount of folk that are 2 or 3 seasons in and have got rid of every current player.
It’s no surprise given how easy it is to sell them for big money and buy better players though.

The longest I kept a starting squad member was Kent and I think it was 2029 when I didn’t renew his contract. Tried to sell him to Wolves for £60m but he rejected the offer and took the huff saying he didn’t want sold.

Random notes. May enhance your enjoyment.

Forget valuations. End of a season ‘offer to clubs’ Alfredo Connor Borna Joe Niko out for varying amounts 20-40 you will get bites no bother.

I got a bite at 40 alfredo. I then cheated saved game and checked what Brighton would go to. Add ons took it to 93 million.

Get a bite at a highish price then bump up the addons.

Other observation is that end of each season players you have left to rot will reset their fitness to be same as everyone and degraded values go up. Guys you couldnt get 300k for are now going for 2 mil.

This works well if you hoover up bosmans they dont play for a year and suddenly they can go for 10 mil.

Player searches. Find specific top players you like search on them then set it to 16-19 age group notch the attributes down a few ticks to catch 16-17 year olds. Save the search keep revisiting to pick up young talent cheap.

Not interested in a bible of knowing who the best wonderkids are the fun is finding them.
How do you find out how much a team are willing to offer?

i think they've broke the game after the most recent update (for switch), players are getting injured way more on a regular basis and it's a little tougher attracting better players im finding, this all because i accidentally deleted my original save :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i think they've broke the game after the most recent update (for switch), players are getting injured way more on a regular basis and it's a little tougher attracting better players im finding, this all because i accidentally deleted my original save :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
You can start a game from previous versions and previous database. There's an option if you don't use the set up wizard when you start a new game. Trincao might will be achievable at the earliest version!

Which league/country gets the quickest work permits?

Poland 3 years. Serbia are also a good option once they join the EU in 2022.

Portugal and Spain are short too I think

For South American players, they get a permit here after 2 years. Don’t send non-SA players there otherwise it’ll take the full 5 for Portugal or 10 for Spain.

Depending on what Brexit your save gets, you won’t need to worry about work permits anyway.

I had a player come through the youth Ranks there called Don Duffy . Couldn’t believe my eyes nearly every attribute was green as a 16 year old CM. Was valued at £9 million as soon as he signed a contract , loaned him out for two seasons and when I put him in my first team he was valued at £39 million ! Problem being for his new contract he asked for £230k a week , thankfully I offered 110k and he took it . Great attitude as well not one for demandin a move etc . Best player I’ve seen on the game but still took me four seasons to win the title , win both cups every year even the euro cup , but draws prevented me from the league until season 5 .

Been using theses player roles and it’s making some difference, was already using the same formation.
With this formation I’ve P15 W12 D2 L1

The Loss was away to Sevilla in the UEFA cup and had already qualified for the knock out stages.
1 draw was away to Celtic and the other at home to St johnston In which I played a lot of youngsters. So far so good.
Overall I’m in February, won the league cup and still unbeaten in the league, 1 point in front with a game in hand .

Glad to hear it mate.

Making a formation is difficult in this game, but its a lot easier once you understand what the player roles actually do beyond the name.

I’ve messed about with set pieces as well and found a cheesy short corner that’s been battering me goals too.

How do you find out how much a team are willing to offer?

Cheat. Save the game when the bid arrives. Play about reload for half hour testing stuff out.

But you need to pitch a price in first place when you offer to clubs.

Anyone tried the World Super League mod? Rangers start quite a few divisions down and it seems it will be a nice challenge to get them to the top division with the likes of Barcelona, Liverpool, PSG ect.

Anyone tried the World Super League mod? Rangers start quite a few divisions down and it seems it will be a nice challenge to get them to the top division with the likes of Barcelona, Liverpool, PSG ect.

Is it good ? Is it a well done mod. Messed about moving countries twenty years ago but it just played crap.

Is it good ? Is it a well done mod. Messed about moving countries twenty years ago but it just played crap.

I've not tired it yet but supposedly it's good from what Ive seen and read. Just contemplating if I want to invest all those hours into it! :D

I dare say it's already been mentioned in the thread, but season 2022/23 is an absolute fucker because of the Qatar World Cup running for a month over November/December.

I'm still in the Champions league & Scottish cup so the fixture pile-up from now (February) onwards is looking horrendous.

I play the mentally challengeds on Tuesday 7th March & then again on Thursday 9th March :))

I've not tired it yet but supposedly it's good from what Ive seen and read. Just contemplating if I want to invest all those hours into it! :D

Looks interesting. May well give it a try.

The main issue I had 20 years ago editing 97/98 was that players were unhappy in ‘lower leagues’ if hes got round that could be nice.

ok so stayed up and finished my 1st season won league almost unbeaten (lost last 3 games of the season) lost LC won SC, just beaten Linfield in CL quals and now got Dundalk in next round, signed Ravel Morrison on a free who's hit the ground running, also signed Herbie Kane on a free, almost sold Barisic & Goldson for £50mil combined but they both rejected their contracts (bastards lol), greegs retired McCrorie is now #1, KRH & NYC both on the bench for the new season :)

It's mad the amount of folk that are 2 or 3 seasons in and have got rid of every current player.

I am on season 4 and still got a few of the current players:

Robby and Ross McCrorie
Patterson
Katic
Aribo
Kent

I get constant offers from china for Katic and Aribo but they won't go. Kent has got better and better as the seasons go on so thats why I have kept him around.

Kent has just broke his leg in my 4th season, out for 8 months and his stats are now dreadful. Went from being a star to a useful fringe player. Time to punt!

Just resigned in the summer of 2027 to take over Marseille. My squad was decimated as soon as I left :(

Is this only available on the full version or would i be able to get it on the FM touch version?

mental the crazy money you get offerd though. End of my first seasons I sold Goldson and tav to Arsenal for £55million, they also put in a bid of £20million for barisic, I accepted it then cancelled it as he was to important to the team. Also sold Morelos for £25mill. I would liked to have kept them but they all got unsettled so just got rid and decided to build my own team.

Something i didnt realise.

In ‘offer to clubs’ theres a target button and you can talk to specific clubs.

Regretting only spotting it after every elite club wanted 3 players last year.

Random moment of joy when you realise no qualifiers and straight into champions league.

Trying my hardest to get Morelos out the door, tail end of the first season and he’s got 6 goals in 20 odd appearances average match rating 6.43 - need a replacement if anyone’s got any?

I’ve been playing the mobile version and brought in Matej Vydra in as a replacement. Got a good 3 season out of him before he wanted to move on. Goal return was better than 1 in 2 and avg rating around 7.6

Won the league at a canter in my second season. 23 points ahead of Celtic after 33 games. They have just been beaten off Livingston in the Scottish cup semi final too.

I've won 2-0 at home against Lyon in the Europa league quarter final first leg so going well in Europe. I finished third in a CL group with Barcelona, Lazio and Porto.

Just hit the winter break in my first season. 7 points behind the scum with a game in hand, have knocked them out en route to lifting the league cup, beat them 2-0 at Ibrox in the league and grabbed a 1-1 draw at the peadodome.

Also went through to Europa knockout, finishing 2nd in my group, been drawn against Wolfsburg.

Only just made my first signing in the shape of Rafael Rodrigues - 17 year old left back from Benfica. He's now my backup to Borna (who picks up a lot of injuries).

Things going well, however had the bombshell of Shagger asking to leave as Everton wanted him. I have scuppered the deal by triggering his contract extension, will see what happens.
Following on from this, shagger did depart in January, could not find a suitable replacement so have recalled young McCrorie, him and Wes battling it out for now.

Went out 4-3 on agg to Wolfsburg, suffered a defeat to the sheep so was 10 points behind, however my game in hand and an excellent 2-1 victory over the scum at Ibrox have it at 4 points with 8 to play! Very little room for error as their form is unrelenting.

Back