Rangers on FM 2020

To be honest, you don't need to do much to the squad in the first season.

Go with the 'Geigenpress' mode when you select a formation in tactics and a 4-1-2-3 in attack philosophy worked wonders for me.

Sweeper Keeper on attack, Full backs on support, Two Center-backs on defend, a Defensive midfielder sitting just behind the two midfielders on defend, a box-to-box/central midfielder/carrillo on support (depending on if you are playing Jack/Kamara/Arfield in the position respectively), attacking playmaker on attack, on the left wing have Kent as an inside forward on support, on the right a winger on attack and a pressing forward up top.

A defensive midfielder on loan is a must. After the first season, Ross McCrorie and Jack are incredible in those areas.

McGregor retired after the first season in my game but Robby McCrorie develops into a very decent goalkeeper and Bailey Peacock-Farrell is a steal from Burnley because they have a tonne of goalkeepers.

Aaron Hickey and Harry Cochrane can be picked up for about a half a million total and they turn out good. Lewis Ferguson is also a tremendous midfielder in the game and Carlos Alena can be picked up from Barcelona on Loan.

I picked up Shankland as a back-up striker for Morelos and it worked out well. However, if you sell Morelos and want someone like him, you can Pick up Felipe Caicedo from Lazio for a couple of million as you wait for Richie-Hosler to become a mega-star.

Alex Lowry in the midfield for the Under-18's is a brilliant deep-lying playmaker by the second or third season too
I’ve been playing Geigenpress but with a 4-2-3-1 formation and the defence can’t keep a clean sheet. Might switch to these tactics!

I played a season with Rangers and discovered the following.

Alfie is not that good, Defoe is better.
Andy Halliday is good cover at LB
Greg Stewart was a goal machine at AMR

I played a season with Rangers and discovered the following.

Alfie is not that good, Defoe is better.
Andy Halliday is good cover at LB
Greg Stewart was a goal machine at AMR

Agreed re: Stewart, he was really handy for me.

Morelos has a pressing forward once Kent develops is a beast.

Thinking of getting this.
Will it run ok on a Lenovo lap top?
The wee fella got one last year but hardly touches it now as he's into gaming on his PC.
Where would be the cheapest place to buy fm2020??

watch out for Cole Mckinnon he beomes some player.

look for these players
Valentin Antov
Leke James
Kamil Jozwiak
Nicolas Acevado

Ignacio Ramirez

All cracking and affordable players you ill punt for millons and millions
I got McKinnon to sign a new deal right at the start of my game

Turnbull is a must. One of the best midfield goalscorers I’ve had. Punched way above his weight wining POTY when I had a CL contender side. Does the business in the league

Started a new game with Rangers today... loving it trying new formations to my usual.

I have went with the christmas tree formation and its working a treat in europe, just pumped Trabzonspor 7-0 at Ibrox in the first leg of europa league

Has anyone signed Hagi permanently? In March cruising the league/ shill in Europe and he doesn’t want to negotiate a contract. He has be as favoured personnel and us as favoured club, wtf

I got the mobile version. Its like the champ mans of old. Can't be bothered with all the training stuff. Won 3 trebles on the trot so far and got the semi's in CL last season. Got Mohammed Ihatteren on a freebie and he is the nuts in season 4. Hagi wouldn't sign unfortunately

My usual tactic with FM is to do the following -
Rangers and celtic into League 2 down south
Release the best First XI - possibly sixteen this time round.
Raise training and scouting to 20, and my manager experience as former player.
And play as Rangers from there. It was quite the challenge in older FM's. A lot of players will not sign for a League 2 team so it's not as simple to just go ou and sign amazing wonder kids or free agents.

Is the mobile version better as in less detailed so quicker ? The last one I tried was in 2015 and the detail was too much and it took far too long to do a season .

Won the double in my first season, lost the SC final to them. Knocked out in the last 32 of the Europa on away goals by Wolves.

Deadline day going into second season Kamara went to Benfica for £20m, brought in Campbell from Motherwell for £2m and Lovro Majer for £8m.

Also added Kamberi (£2m) that summer as he’d been very reliable back up to Morelos, Ojo for a second loan spell as he was superb.

McCrorie/Docherty back from loan and very decent. Helped cover Davis retiring.

McGregor also retired so Hladky from St Mirren and Robby McCrorie are my keepers for now.

Defoe was already signed on a pre contract but I’ve just got to January and let him go to Copenhagen to get rid of the wages.

Paterson very good backup to Tav, Stewart decent at AMR.

Oh and Martinelli on loan from Arsenal.

(CL group of death was brutal - Liverpool, Bayer Leverkusen and Sevilla. 1 point from 18 :oops:)

Last edited:
Think I’ll just buy it for my phone or iPad . Am I best to get the “ touch” version or the mobile version ? Reviews seem to put mobile ahead ?

Is the mobile version better as in less detailed so quicker ? The last one I tried was in 2015 and the detail was too much and it took far too long to do a season .
Yeah the mobile one is really good. Its more like the older versions. Definitely not complicated and a season can be done in a few hours

Anyone else get Chinese teams bidding absolutely crazy amounts for players haha? Wuhan are a particular culprit.

The players are usually not interested in the move but yeah they don’t half make crazy bids.

Fairly realistic I guess haha.

433 genpress/tiki-taka hybrid works well for me, you can have the midfield 3 change to the player role IMO between DM/CM/AM, as long it's their preferred role and working I would tend not to be too rigid with that.

What’s the difference between the touch and mobile versions mate ?
Mobile is more streamlined so not as much detail. The price for mobile is less than tenner as well. I like rattling through seasons and don't have the time or patience to sit and go over tactics. They will both be good its just what level of detail you want.

Mobile is more streamlined so not as much detail. The price for mobile is less than tenner as well. I like rattling through seasons and don't have the time or patience to sit and go over tactics. They will both be good its just what level of detail you want.

so is touch more like the PC version ?

Also , am I better playing it on my iPad or on my phone ? My phone screen isn’t that big

sorry for all the questions

so is touch more like the PC version ?

Also , am I better playing it on my iPad or on my phone ? My phone screen isn’t that big

sorry for all the questions
No worries. Yeah touch is more like the PC version just not quite as detailed. I have a Samsung galaxy and mobile version is fine. It has been developed for the small screen anyway.

If you went for Touch I think it is only compatible with tablets and laptops.

No worries. Yeah touch is more like the PC version just not quite as detailed. I have a Samsung galaxy and mobile version is fine. It has been developed for the small screen anyway.

If you went for Touch I think it is only compatible with tablets and laptops.

Thanks bud I think based on this I’ll go for mobile at £8.99 , it sounds the closest I’ll get to champ manager 01/02 on my iPad .

Is there anyone that plays on PC/Laptop that would be interested in a network game?

Any info on a cheap laptop to play it on . My son is playing it on the MacBook but it would be good to have another for network game as sharing a laptop takes too long

Any info on a cheap laptop to play it on . My son is playing it on the MacBook but it would be good to have another for network game as sharing a laptop takes too long

Most laptops these days should be able to run it comfortably.

Check the minimum specs of the game. My old HP one ran it well previously.

Players like Mohamed Daramy who I thought would still want to join. I do have a lot of secondary targets so I should be fine

He’s at Liverpool in 2023 in my rangers save and is a beast. Who you looking at out of interest?

I quite like how it tells you a player is more interested in you than club A & B, similar level to C but less interested than D & E. Let’s you know what level he’s at outside the CA & PA stats as well as what type of deal to offer him.

Who you looking at out of interest?

I quite like how it tells you a player is more interested in you than club A & B, similar level to C but less interested than D & E. Let’s you know what level he’s at outside the CA & PA stats as well as what type of deal to offer him.
Daramy, Some striker from Molde, and a couple Brazilian wonder kids who rejected me ages ago. My alternatives were Pelayo Morilla, Jan Mlakar and Adolfo Gaich and got them all so can’t complain, will go back in for Daramy in the future

Being playing the game for years now, into my 3rd season with Rangers. Nathan Patterson is now a regular in the Scotland squad and my first choice RB (ahead of Rick Karsdorp), McPake plays every 2nd/3rd game and Robby McCrorie is my #1 keeper now as well. Other than those 3, the rest of the youth are slowly developing into first team players. Signed Fleck and Saka (arsenal boy) on a pre-contract for this season’s champions league campaign after winning 55 last season. Will post team later if anyone wants it.

Who you thinking of starting with?

I never start with Rangers, I feel it's more important to be offered an interview eventually :D

Started a new save a few days ago with IFK Gothenburg, two seasons, won the league once, today got that all important offer of an interview from Rangers, just started now, Alfie, Borna, Arfield, Goldson, Tav have all been sold, McGregor and Davis retired

Being playing the game for years now, into my 3rd season with Rangers. Nathan Patterson is now a regular in the Scotland squad and my first choice RB (ahead of Rick Karsdorp), McPake plays every 2nd/3rd game and Robby McCrorie is my #1 keeper now as well. Other than those 3, the rest of the youth are slowly developing into first team players. Signed Fleck and Saka (arsenal boy) on a pre-contract for this season’s champions league campaign after winning 55 last season. Will post team later if anyone wants it.

What season you in mate?

I’d like to have a look at your squad and I’ll post mine, I’m in Sep 2023.

Patterson’s physicals are great but technically he hasn’t developed for me, I used him quite a lot & then gave him some decent loans.

I never start with Rangers, I feel it's more important to be offered an interview eventually :D

Started a new save a few days ago with IFK Gothenburg, two seasons, won the league once, today got that all important offer of an interview from Rangers, just started now, Alfie, Borna, Arfield, Goldson, Tav have all been sold, McGregor and Davis retired

I’ve got a Leicester & BvB save going but I can’t seem to get into them as yet.

Considering a middling championship club & try and stabilise them in EPL and beyond.

Back