Rangers open talks with Defoe

Similar to SG as manager, it still blows my mind a wee bit that Jermaine Defoe is a Rangers player.

He’s achieved what he came to do and that was to support the gaffer in winning silverware but I’m all for another year.

Great news. He has definitely got another season in him. He can also start being involved in the coaching side.
I would have no issue with him being the next Rangers manager........just hopefully not too soon.

It'll depend on how much he wants to play. At present Morelos, Roofe and Sakala are ahead of him (I can't see Itten staying) with Kent, Wright, Hagi and Aribo probably ahead for no. 10 role.
If he want a regular game, he'll leave. A bit part role and more winners medals, he'll stay.

ezgif-6-cd6aaa3affeb.gif

Hey, with his experience , passing that onto our strikers , he’s a valuable asset , polishing up the rough diamonds !

It'll depend on how much he wants to play. At present Morelos, Roofe and Sakala are ahead of him (I can't see Itten staying) with Kent, Wright, Hagi and Aribo probably ahead for no. 10 role.
If he want a regular game, he'll leave. A bit part role and more winners medals, he'll stay.
I can see hagi going with wright replacing him

I’d give him one year, and the chance to join the coaching staff. That way we have a quality back up, and a future striking coach of the highest quality.

90s Dance Classic 'Please Dont Go' by KWS

Jermain, I love you so
(Please don't go)
And I want you to know
(Please don't go)
That I'm, gonna miss your Goals
(Please don't go)
The minute you walk out that door
(Please don't go)

Four competitions to compete in next season. Defoe as an option in our squad for another season is a no brainier. Both on and off the park.

Don't care about his age, of all our players he'd be the one you'd want the ball to fall to in the box.

Too much obsession with age. If a player hasn't got the fitness, then fair enough. But to knock someone back purely on their date of birth isn't right.
I remember when Collina was pretty much regarded as the best ref in the world and yet the Italian FA wanted to retire him because he was 40 ffs!

In quite a recent interview, he seemed fairly adamant that he wanted to play in front of the fans again.

Sadly be a bench player - however I really hope he is offered a player/coach role -
The other strikers clearly learn from him

Be interesting to see if he were to get involved in the coaching side of things.

From a purely footballing point of view, I’d say it would be time for him to move on if he wants a last hurrah of playing regularly.

We need Itten to be pushing on next season

I hope he stays , not just because I like him but because He still has plenty to offer. He scores just about any time he comes on and still looks as sharp as ever despite not playing as much as he'd like.
Goal return terrific for his age and minutes played. Phenomenal pro.

I'd give him another year, but I'd want to see it done for footballing reasons and I'd expect to see Itten sold as balance. Salaka is apparently an out and out striker, and we don't need five. No harm to big Ced, but he isn't getting the minutes and I don't see where they come from.

Roofe, Alfie, Salaka and Defoe vying for the striking positions would do me. Wright, Kent, Aribo and Hagi offering the creative options on the flanks/number 10 roles. Obviously some versatility there as well.
You genuinely think we will have Morelos for another season?

If I’m being honest, I see him in the English lower leagues next year getting regular game and he’d go with my best wishes. With Sakala coming in, he would be a bit part player next year and is unlikely to be named in our Champions League squad so that won’t hold much sway for him.

Would happily give him another year though. Consummate professional, great influence and still has an eye for goal as he showed at the weekend.
If we qualify for CL he will want to be part of that even in a supporting role. Coaching is the obvious path. A youngster would soak up everything he says. Imagine being 16-18 and having guys like him and Gerrard about.

I'm not a fan of keeping players on the coaching staff ,esp if its just their ties to the club and sentimentality but JD is someone we should be nailing down now .His expereience and they way he looks after and conducts himself is a rarity in modern day football and it can only rub off on the young guys if they pay attention to him.
Get it done Rangers .if SG wants him,thats good enough reason too

Love him to stay and maybe replace Gerrard when that day comes around
Can you imagine that?

Defoe would be great to have even in the coaching staff at Rangers. But if he wants game time who could begrudge him that.

Something tells me, that goal meant a lot to him the other day and the fans mean a lot to him so staying might not be off the table.

I reckon he'll only stay if there's some form of coaching role involved and even then I'm not sure how he feels about retiring. Clearly a model professional and thinks he might still have another season left in him and could see Sunderland as a good place to do that.

He wasn't involved in our European squad so likely the same scenario for him next year.

I'm a big fan of Defoe but I'm going to go against the grain and say that any bit part game time he gets next season could be better used by someone we're trying to develop (like Itten). With Sakala coming in the summer there's an additional player fighting for game time and could see someone like Itten get less and less if Defoe is still getting minutes. Him staying on for another year only makes sense to me if his focus is elsewhere such as coaching. He's far too good to be a bit-part emergency back-up option.

An absolute credit to himself and our club though. The ultimate professional.

The new fella Fashion Sakala only has about 2 and a bit seasons of senior pro football experience. If the price is right, having people like Defoe around to help lads like him and Itten improve and learn their trade feels like the kind of club we all want.

Gerrard has the great nack of all good leaders. He surrounds himself with quality people, with bags of ability, nous and integrity. Long may that continue.

Jermain, if you're reading this please stay.

I don't have a season ticket but Pre-Covid I try to get to as many games using the Seat Sub facility on the club website that you may be aware of.

One of the games I've enjoyed the most in recent years was 5-1 v Hamilton and you scored a hat trick. Was a cracking sunny days and I was actually up in the Family section for a change as we took my mate's two sons with us. They loved it and they loved you.

I'd be saddened to think we wouldn't get an opportunity to see you again and the club will always be a better place with you around.

ps. Have you been watching Mare of Easttown?
So close to the FF classic of an 'open letter' by god I've missed those.

You genuinely think we will have Morelos for another season?
Yes I do. Certainly preseason and UCL qualifiers.

Unless someones going double the price we want on a player it will be daft to sell any player before last week of August. The money at stake on these qualifiers makes it a totally different conversation.

Even winning the first qualifier pays out 5 million euros.

Just watched the video interview with Jermain Defoe after the game and his goal against the scum. Generally speaking footballers aren’t the brightest beings that walk upright upon the Earth but Jermaine absolutely destroys that characterisation. I so want him to stay another year and continue to impart his knowledge, experience, humility and learning to our other players. Hopefully he and the management team can engineer a solution to this.

However, possibly I want him to stay for the selfish reason that I want to be in the Stadium when he scores his final Ibrox goal for Rangers so that I and the other 50,000 fellow Bears can pay suitable tribute to a great man, a great player and a great Ranger.

Jermain......please stay at least another year.

Totally agree. Jermain is a fantastic role model for anyone at our club, I hope he stays for exactly the same reasons you have noted. Well said.

I was of the opinion that we shouldn’t be making a decision based on sentiment but if it was a duel coaching/player role then I’d like him to stay

The way the squad speak about him, you can tell his added benefit goes way beyond playing time

Sunderland have a terrific academy & excellent training facilities (the design of which our own was heavily based upon from memory). He may be tempted.

I was a bit surprised at his exclusion from the Europa squad. Surely he'd be asking about his opportunity to have one final say as a CL player?

I hope he stays and gets that, he deserves it.

Would definitely want him for another year given we have brought in Sakala who I suspect will need some mentoring to help him settle in, understand the expectations and develop as a player. I also don't underestimate the effect he has on Morelos so the long he is around the better as far as I'm concerned.

Back