Rangers pay tribute to all-time Ibrox great Davie Cooper on what would have been 64th birthday

BlueMeanie

Rangers have paid tribute to one of their greatest ever players on what would have been his 64th birthday.

A player of immense skill and talent, Cooper is widely regarded as one of the best players to ever lace up a pair of boots in Glasgow's east end.

The winger played 377 times for Rangers and won 22 caps for Scotland, too. He is remembered for his trickery and ability to take players on and beat them with his quick feet.

Arguably his most famous - and best - goal came against Celtic where he looked more like an adult playing against his younger siblings as he jinked his way past defenders, lobbing the ball over their heads before planting it in the net.
And Gers were quick to remember the winger whom Dutch footballing icon Ruud Gullit named in his own Perfect XI having played against him during his time at Ibrox.
The Light Blues shared his goal clip, saying: "On this day in 1956 a true Rangers FC legend was born. The one and only David Cooper.

He was pure perfection when he was on it ..... the game against Tampere at Ibrox he was sublime

It's just a pity it took so long for him to be surrounded by the quality he deserved .... he was unplayable in Souness first season

My all time Rangers hero

My favourite player great that I got to see him play every week from when he first joined even went to see him play for Clydebank a few times when we heard he was coming to the Gers was at the game where he scored that goal at Hampden we were jumping up and down shouting hit it hit it he knew better a bonafide genius greatly missed

Honoured to have seen the Great Man play.
I'd hate to think what he'd be worth in the transfer market now. GBNF.

Can still see and hear that free kick ripping against the sheep shaggers net with bandy helpless and Super Cooper raised aloft to a backdrop of celebrating Rangers fans what a sight.

First seen the genius when he was playing for the Bankies. I was also in our end at Hampden when he scored the Drybrough Cup final goal. Amazing watching it from the other end. What a goal.

(Sandy's also immense)

A wonderful football player, and a hero to the fans when we didn't have that many heroes.

My hero. He hit the hardest freekick Hampden or any ground has ever seen. It was so quick that the ball was in the net before the thud was heard in the Rangers end. What a thud it was as well, the fans had fell silent as he strode up, then as the ball bulged the net the noise arrived.

Davie was fantastic. Remember seeing him up at Dundee when we won 4_0, he turned to the fans and pointed to his back pocket and pointed to it.he was right, he had the defence in there.

Back