Rangers players in other sports... Michael Mols & MMA?!

DeeCeeTee

I seen a photo of Fedor Emelianenko, arguably the greatest MMA fighter ever training in a gym with a signed Michael Mols jersey on the wall behind him and I couldn't work out what was going on. It looks like it is from the Fernando Ricksen tribute game. Why was a Mols jersey on the wall of an MMA gym?

Turns out that not only is Mols' jersey on the wall, but he trains with him?! Seems like a very bizarre matchup and got me thinking about other Rangers players that got involved in other sports. Obviously there is Goram and cricket, but are there any others?

Dwnq0O2X0AIouiR.jpg

Dm5pjqeXoAAs4on.jpg

Can't think of any Rangers players involved in different sports but there has been crossovers

Sir Clive Woodward was involved with Southampton for a while. I think the Neville brothers played cricket at a serious level before they had to concentrate on football. Tony Adams is now in Rugby League

Can't think of any Rangers players involved in different sports but there has been crossovers

Sir Clive Woodward was involved with Southampton for a while. I think the Neville brothers played cricket at a serious level before they had to concentrate on football. Tony Adams is now in Rugby League

Back up a second... Tony Adams is in Rugby League!?

I seen a photo of Fedor Emelianenko, arguably the greatest MMA fighter ever training in a gym with a signed Michael Mols jersey on the wall behind him and I couldn't work out what was going on. It looks like it is from the Fernando Ricksen tribute game. Why was a Mols jersey on the wall of an MMA gym?

Turns out that not only is Mols' jersey on the wall, but he trains with him?! Seems like a very bizarre matchup and got me thinking about other Rangers players that got involved in other sports. Obviously there is Goram and cricket, but are there any others?

Dwnq0O2X0AIouiR.jpg

Dm5pjqeXoAAs4on.jpg

Greatest MMA fighter ever lol come on man.

Not Rangers related, but how about Max Woosnam?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Woosnam

Among his achievements were winning an Olympic gold and silver in tennis at the 1920 Summer Olympics, winning the doubles at Wimbledon, compiling a 147 break in Snooker, making a century at Lord's Cricket Ground, captaining the British Davis Cup team, captaining Manchester City F.C. finishing ultimately runners-up for the Football League Championship in 1920–21 and captaining the England national football team.

Not rangers, but was Wayne Rooney not on the verge of a boxing career as well as just about to break into senior professional football and was told to choose one of the two?

The only thing to go against Fedor's record is that he didn't fight in the UFC.

He beat plenty of top-level guys though but typically didn't know when to stop.

He was beaten 3 times in a year and I'm sure at that time he was still only around 33/34, Dan Henderson knocked him out cold and hes not even a heavyweight lol.

He was beaten 3 times in a year and I'm sure at that time he was still only around 33/34, Dan Henderson knocked him out cold and hes not even a heavyweight lol.
By the time Werdum beat him, he was 31-1. Werdum even now has only fought 32 times. He went through the biggest and best there was at the time and made it look easy. If he was in the UFC, then 100% he would be regarded as such. But such is the power the UFC has over people's ideas of MMA, he is an after thought for the discussion.

When he was in his prime, he was unstoppable. Anyway, back onto Rangers...

By the time Werdum beat him, he was 31-1. Werdum even now has only fought 32 times. He went through the biggest and best there was at the time and made it look easy. If he was in the UFC, then 100% he would be regarded as such. But such is the power the UFC has over people's ideas of MMA, he is an after thought for the discussion.

When he was in his prime, he was unstoppable. Anyway, back onto Rangers...

He didn't go through the biggest and best their was at the time because all those fighters were in the UFC, Cain Velasquez was the man at that time period and would have tore him up.

Fedor was tkod off Henderson and bigfoot silva, if you have that on your record as a heavyweight then you're never going down as the best ever.

He didn't go through the biggest and best their was at the time because all those fighters were in the UFC, Cain Velasquez was the man at that time period and would have tore him up.

Fedor was tkod off Henderson and bigfoot silva, if you have that on your record as a heavyweight then you're never going down as the best ever.

How many other heavyweights have went on a 26 fight, 9 year unbeaten run? How many of the supposed greatest have even had 26 fights, never mind unbeaten? Does Wanderlei Silva beating Mark Hunt or Cro Cop mean they should be embarrased, because Silva was technically a middleweight? Nothing to do with the fact that they were all juiced upto the eyeballs? Is a current run with USADA where some people get away with things, while others fight at a disadvantage, more legit than one done in Pride when there was no drug testing?

But anyway, you missed the most important word in my initial point which was "arguably", which by its very definition is what it is due to the record he has. There is an argument for both sides. So he is arguably the greatest MMA fighter ever.

How many other heavyweights have went on a 26 fight, 9 year unbeaten run? How many of the supposed greatest have even had 26 fights, never mind unbeaten? Does Wanderlei Silva beating Mark Hunt or Cro Cop mean they should be embarrased, because Silva was technically a middleweight? Nothing to do with the fact that they were all juiced upto the eyeballs? Is a current run with USADA where some people get away with things, while others fight at a disadvantage, more legit than one done in Pride when there was no drug testing?

But anyway, you missed the most important word in my initial point which was "arguably", which by its very definition is what it is due to the record he has. There is an argument for both sides. So he is arguably the greatest MMA fighter ever.

Its all good mate, but hes not the greatest MMA fighter ever, exciting yeah and great knockouts but not the best, hes not even the best heavyweight ever let alone fighter, there are levels to the game and fighting outwith the UFC is like playing in the Scottish championship and saying you're the best team in the country.

By the time Fedor (31-1) was beat by Werdum (14-4-1), Cain was in the UFC with a record of (8-0)...

Its all good mate, but hes not the greatest MMA fighter ever, exciting yeah and great knockouts but not the best, hes not even the best heavyweight ever let alone fighter, there are levels to the game and fighting outwith the UFC is like playing in the Scottish championship and saying you're the best team in the country.
Fighting in Strikeforce and Pride somehow is like the Scottish Championship? Discussion over :D

Knocked out 2 times in a year one of which was a middleweight, discussion over :)
He weighed 207lbs for that fight, which is heavyweight today in both MMA and boxing. He weighed in 5lbs lighter than Wilder did for his fight against Fury. I guess Wilder is just a fat middleweight :rolleyes:

Your comment about Scottish Chamionship has just nullified any argument you can make. You sound like a casual that has their MMA knowledge from playing UFC 3 on the Playstation. I can't take anything you say seriously anymore.

He weighed 207lbs for that fight, which is heavyweight today in both MMA and boxing. He weighed in 5lbs lighter than Wilder did for his fight against Fury. I guess Wilder is just a fat middleweight :rolleyes:

Your comment about Scottish Chamionship has just nullified any argument you can make. You sound like a casual that has their MMA knowledge from playing UFC 3 on the Playstation. I can't take anything you say seriously anymore.

Now you're just being daft , I've been watching MMA for 16 years, Fedor was big at a time when the Heavyweights were mostly sh1t, and the main point here is you're saying hes the greatest mma fighter ever...hes not.

Cain is a myth mate, barely even fights

He'd have got knocked out as well if he wasn't always injured stopping him from fights that's now crocked him

Aye go tell that to the joke that is Bigfoot Silva, the ref had to stop that one :D

Dwnq0O2X0AIouiR.jpg

Dm5pjqeXoAAs4on.jpg
that's a great picture he hasn't changed since he played for us

Back