Rangers players that never lost at Hampden ?

nelster

Official FF Paparazzi
Scottish Cup Final 2002 on last weekend, Maurice Ross pops up again in a final. When listening to the Alex McLeish podcast Maurice Ross got a mention, scored in Motherwell final.

Got me thinking.

Is there actually a Rangers player thats never lost a top level competitive match at Hampden (played more than once)

Maurice Ross (and Ronald de Boer and Shota). No. Played in Hibs semi 2003/04.

Brian Laudrup. No. Played in the 3-0 defeat when Celtic played there 1995.

Dominic Ball?

Played there when we won the Challenge Cup Final against Peterhead and when we beat Celtic in the Scottish Cup semis that same season, and he didn’t play in the final against Hibs.

Did Jim Baxter ever lose a Rangers game at Hampden?

MU, I can’t think of us losing a final at Hampden from the embarrassment of 1957 until the League Cup defeat in 1965-66. Ritchie, McMillan, Millar, Brand and Wilson must also fall into the same category as Slim Jim

I thought that was the case mate, but I was hoping yourself, @dh1963, @Alex Venters, or one of the other senior Bears on here would confirm it.

Charlie Miller ? although I can only remember him playing in the 3-1 victory when the tinks rented Hamden

After being rightly corrected by Old Timer and Alex Venters, I am obviously a lot more senior than I would wish. Completely forgot about the Eintracht friendly and Killie semi final.

I was actually only considering finals.

Never even thought about losing Semi Finals. :rolleyes:

I was actually only considering finals.

Never even thought about losing Semi Finals. :rolleyes:
Obviously I didn’t either. Between the timescales I previously mentioned, we were in 4 Scottish Cup Finals and 4 League Cup Finals and won the lot. That was also during the time when Hearts had their great team of the late 50’s and Kilmarnock were not too shabby either. Celtic during the same time were rotten.

Obviously I didn’t either. Between the timescales I previously mentioned, we were in 4 Scottish Cup Finals and 4 League Cup Finals and won the lot. That was also during the time when Hearts had their great team of the late 50’s and Kilmarnock were not too shabby either. Celtic during the same time were rotten.

I like the sound of that era. :))

Did Giovanni van Bronckhorst ever lose at Hampden? The only game I can think of us losing there during his time was a League Cup semi against Celtic but I'm sure he was out injured at the time.

Wouldn't have thought so.

Think he only lost once against the filth in a Glasgow Cup game...not sure where it was played though!
Bit of a myth that one Baxter lost 4 games against them during that period Glasgow cup 4-2 and league cup 3-2 in 1960 glasgow cup 3-2 in 62 and league game 3-1 in 64.I think maybe he lost a game in 69 too when he came back. I think he only lost one game at Ibrox 3-2 in 1960.

Trevor Francis, his non run up in the penalty shoot out had my heart in my mouth that day until he Scored !!!.

I was there.

Bobby McKean did indeed play in the 76-77 semi vs aberdeen, he was substituted in the game and replaced by Johnny Hamilton

Lorenzo Amoruso possibly?
Two trebles and a cup double in his time..... played in the 1998 loss to Hearts,but that was at the sty; and missed the semi final loss to the filth in 2001, due to injury.

Ronald de Boer was mentioned earlier. Did he play in the league Cup semi we lost on pens to Hibs?

Lorenzo Amoruso possibly?
Two trebles and a cup double in his time..... played in the 1998 loss to Hearts,but that was at the sty; and missed the semi final loss to the filth in 2001, due to injury.

Think you’ve nailed one. We didnt lose at Hampden 98 to May 03 other than that one match Bob Malcolm played centre half.

Impressive record possibly into double figures for Lorenzo.

Last edited:
Back