Rangers propose "B" teams as part of reconstruction

The thread is noticeable for how quickly a few have turned on the Board. It might be worth waiting before the insults and accusations are made.

Thats down to the boards confusing stance . One minute we are demanding resignations and letting the support know we wont be bullied , the next its an almost reconcillary statement suggesting we move on and we are now offering a plan up that digs the SPFL out a hole they made by engineering the handing of a title to celtic .

Even the SLO has been on to tell us that the SPFLs statement suggesting a unanimous vote is wrong yet this is the first Rangers FC in any capacity have mentioned that .

Speaking for myself , the board have worked hard to get rangers back to where we are and clearly have committed a lot of time , money and effort but that good work seems to be undone by following the dignified silence approach which has been a disaster .

I am gutted we seem to have given up the fight after so much early promise . If the SPFL think they can get away with this just wait to see what they serve up next season , afterall they are already bigging up 10 in a row

This might actually happen.

Maybe the season after but it is unlikely to happen in time for this coming season which of course leaves Hearts in the Championship or the courts - it really is up to them which.

Maybe the season after but it is unlikely to happen in time for this coming season which of course leaves Hearts in the Championship or the courts - it really is up to them which.

If Championship & below don't return until October as expected, there's plenty of time.

Listening to radio Scotland and Neil McCann and Steven craigan are both for it.they both said young players will learn more playing seasoned professionals than playing players in reserve and youth football.you listen to Craig Mulholland and he says in many interviews they put young players in uncomfortable situations where they are under extreme pressure to see how they react.
Even John Fleck, the most promising and successful of your youth system this decade, had to go the long way round. His whole development was stunted playing youths and sitting on the edge of our team, he had the talent but shitey sporadic loans did him no good. He wasn’t rangers standard until his mid 20s, years after he left us. Maybe if he’d got his 100 games before 19 rather than before 23 he would have made it.

Even John Fleck, the most promising and successful of your youth system this decade, had to go the long way round. His whole development was stunted playing youths and sitting on the edge of our team, he had the talent but shitey sporadic loans did him no good. He wasn’t Rangers standard until his mid 20s, years after he left us. Maybe if he’d got his 100 games before 19 rather than before 23 he would have made it.
I think it’s a no brainer.those young players will be playing for points and in best case scenario going for a title and promotion in the worst case scenario they will be scrapping for points to avoid relegation.

This wont happen. It was never about making it happen. It is a delay tactic. I am not saying Rangers dont want it to happen but know it is a no goer.

The fixtures are due to be released in 2 weeks.

I know that we maybe see this as an opportunity to get colt teams in the pyramid, but I'm not sure why we're trying to help the SPFL dig themselves out of a hole here. Especially when we know that the idea of colt teams proved very unpopular in the lower leagues
Is this not another case of being seen to have explored every avenue if/when we take court action?

Take a look at any of Craig Mulholland's comments pushing it over the last few years. Read Pep Guardiola's views on the importance of B team football for Barca's young players.

Reserve football is pointless. Boys playing in games with no consequences against a team who also face no consequences.

Isn't it arrogance thinking that the same thing that has failed so comprehensively over the last 30 years is suddenly going to start delivering? There's a reason why virtually every major football country in Europe has some variation of Colts allowed in the professional league system.
I get that, but this is Scotland we’re talking about. They’ll learn very little other that how to recover from injury playing against some joiner in the 2nd division who fancies a few pints that night from his poet pals for taking out one of our prospects. The system we had in place not long ago where the devopment side travelled England and Europe playing similar academies seems a far better models to me.

I like the suggestion. It makes a lot of sense for us to push this now. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement for us to support our youth and give them the best chance. I know there's the argument for loans being just as effective bandied about by opposition fans but for us our players are being coached by us, playing our style and using our facilities.

The monies paid out will be insignificant to us if we managed to bring one kid that we can sell. Plus, then we can say we've done our bit. Also makes the split a fairer proposition and cuts out playing the trapdoor hoverers thrice.

I don't think the two things of pushing out Doncaster and getting this idea over the line are mutually exclusive, I think they're two separate battles at this point.

It is a shame that smaller clubs are able to block this simply because it is Rangers/Celtic B-Teams in question. There wasn't a fuss when Hibs had a B-Team in the East of Scotland League the season before they were relegated. There isn't a fuss now when Stranraer have one in the South of Scotland League.

Allowing these young players, mostly who will be Scottish, this platform to play proper mens football against experienced players will be the making of them and it won't just benefit Rangers and Celtic. It will benefit the Scottish national team and could be the catalyst to produce a generation of players that are good enough to qualify and not embarrass themselves in a World Cup or European Championship.

It's a model that has worked for a number of years in other countries and the gap between youth football and first team football is in dire need of bridging. I dunno if there could be extra sweeteners in there whereby if any players are sold by clubs that have developed in B-Teams a small amount could trickle back down to the lower leagues. Even selling 1 player for £15M and £150K of that was split amongst lower league clubs would be welcome extra revenue for them.

Last edited:
It’s a no brainier really. Would benefit Scotland massively. It’s just because it’s rangers and Celtic that smaller teams have an issue with it.
It’s not even about players getting a 100 games under their belts at a young age, that itself can be damaging later on.
It’s about players getting used to playing competitive football where they get used to winning snd losing. They also presumably would play in the same style as our first team making the transition from youth player to first team easier as the players already understand their roles.

If Championship & below don't return until October as expected, there's plenty of time.

Except it would have to be voted through before the Premier League fixture list for the early August start is issued (confirming which league Hearts and Inverness will participate in). It just won't happen in time for this coming season, if at all.

Ross County chairman (from BBC Scotland sport):

Rangers' proposal for league reconstruction is "just too early" to be put in place for 2020-21, says Ross County chairman Roy MacGregor.

Celtic and Rangers would have B teams in the bottom tier of a 14-14-18 league set-up proposed by the Ibrox club.

MacGregor is generally supportive of the idea of B teams but feels the current 12-10-10-10 model should remain for now.

"I think it's a medium-term project," he told BBC Radio Scotland.

"Making these decisions at a time when there is stress on the industry is not clever. We're going to get a fixture list out in three weeks.

"The principles seem right, it's just too early to do it this season. I think everyone needs a bit more time."

Amid football's shutdown, SPFL clubs have discussed various models of reconstruction but none have been put to a vote as yet. As well as integrating B teams, Rangers' proposal would offer a reprieve from relegation for Hearts, Partick Thistle and Stranraer and invite Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts into the senior set-up.

In recent seasons, Premiership 'colt' teams have featured in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

And MacGregor told Sportsound: "It needs to be right for all 42 clubs. I've always been a fan of the colt teams if they can afford it. I would like to hear what the part-time teams thought of the principle.

"The principle of developing players and getting them to play competitive football with men is really positive."

edit: Unusually cautious for a self made millionaire

It will get rejected, there’s far too many clubs with their own self interest and absolutely nothing else in mind.

You would think being offered cash from us and them, plus a guaranteed sale of tickets each time we play them would be enough but it won’t be.

It has some merit, but the plans need to include a way that Stranraer aren't demoted and Cove go up. 14-16-16 maybe?

It has some merit, but the plans need to include a way that Stranraer aren't demoted and Cove go up. 14-16-16 maybe?

Only if you are looking downwards.

As of now, Stranraer are in League 2 - three promotions away from the Premiership. Cove are in League 1 - two promotions away from the Premiership.

Under Rangers 14-14-18 plan BOTH would be two promotions away from the Premiership. Neither loses out - if they are looking upwards. Their problem is that they all want to look downwards and say they are just one relegation away from dropping out the League. They forget, it would be an 18 team division so the odds are lesser but, perhaps more importantly, they'd have to finish below two bunches of kids in the OF Colts. Like most clubs in Scotland, they need to show more ambition and optimism.

We're wasting our time suggesting anything as there is too many clubs just waiting to besmirch any plan we have no matter how good it may be. if on the other hand the scum were to make a similar suggestion it would be embraced by all their allies especially the ones in liewell's pocket.

We're wasting our time suggesting anything as there is too many clubs just waiting to besmirch any plan we have no matter how good it may be. if on the other hand the scum were to make a similar suggestion it would be embraced by all their allies especially the ones in liewell's pocket.

The proposal is fronted by Rangers and backed by the Dhims. In fact, the Colts team element is the work of Craig Mulholland and Chris McCart (Dhims) and was initially presented a couple of years ago.

Only if you are looking downwards.

As of now, Stranraer are in League 2 - three promotions away from the Premiership. Cove are in League 1 - two promotions away from the Premiership.

Under Rangers 14-14-18 plan BOTH would be two promotions away from the Premiership. Neither loses out - if they are looking upwards. Their problem is that they all want to look downwards and say they are just one relegation away from dropping out the League. They forget, it would be an 18 team division so the odds are lesser but, perhaps more importantly, they'd have to finish below two bunches of kids in the OF Colts. Like most clubs in Scotland, they need to show more ambition and optimism.

Those teams near the bottom of League 1 are a whole division away from becoming club 42. Under the new proposal, they are 1 bad season from becoming club 42 It ain't happening. Its a delay tactic.

Those teams near the bottom of League 1 are a whole division away from becoming club 42. Under the new proposal, they are 1 bad season from becoming club 42 It ain't happening. Its a delay tactic.

It's not a delay tactic. It's something we've wanted for a while - and last month in an interview with the Athletic Ross Wilson & Craig Mulholland said they were "big advocates" of the B teams.

I think the last sentence of my post covers that. Show some ambition and some positivity. Look upwards not downwards. If you finish as club 44 (as it would be) and are behind two groups of u21 kids then you don't deserve to be part of the Scottish professional football setup in all honesty.

Last edited:
It's not a delay tactic. It's something we've wanted for a while - and last month in an interview with the Athletic Ross Wilson & Craig Mulholland said they were "big advocates" of the B teams.

100% correct we do want it. But it aint happening. ie A delay tactic. The whole voting system would need to change first. As Hearts say a members club not run by members.

I think the last sentence of my post covers that. Show some ambition and some positivity. Look upwards not downwards. If you finish as club 44 (as it would be) and are behind two groups of u21 kids then you don't deserve to be part of the Scottish professional football setup in all honesty.

Do not disagree but if you dont think self interest rules then you have not followed recent events. Its aint happening.

All it is doing is delaying the outcome of Hearts and in doing so bringing the new season closer. A delay tactic that we and celtic are bidding on to stop an interdict being served. Europe = Money. Integrity can wait.

Do not disagree but if you dont think self interest rules then you have not followed recent events. Its aint happening.

I've never suggested it is happening. Rangers (and the Dhims) want the Colts teams in the lower leagues, have done for years. We've seen an opportunity to tag it onto something that might attract wider support than it has hitherto. That's a smart move.

As desperation to avoid a Court case sets in who knows how it might unfold. Though I have to say listening to dinosaurs likely Willie Miller discussing it on Radio Scotland when their only line of debate seems to be 'that's not how we did it in my day' just about sums up Scottish football. Insular, blinkered, living in the past and, as you say, all about self-interest. Its a cesspit.

I've never suggested it is happening. Rangers (and the Dhims) want the Colts teams in the lower leagues, have done for years. We've seen an opportunity to tag it onto something that might attract wider support than it has hitherto. That's a smart move.

As desperation to avoid a Court case sets in who knows how it might unfold. Though I have to say listening to dinosaurs likely Willie Miller discussing it on Radio Scotland when their only line of debate seems to be 'that's not how we did it in my day' just about sums up Scottish football. Insular, blinkered, living in the past and, as you say, all about self-interest. Its a cesspit.

so all in all it aint happening, its a delay tactic to bring the new season closer.

The truth is there will be a massive financial fall out if Hearts now serve an interdict. Europe, Sky contract etc. We did want this originally but the SPFL have played Hearts all the way here and despite them now having a stronger case by exploring all avenues and the potential restriction to trade the timing is of.

Money talks, integrity can wait. Our board should just say as is instead of doing the SPFL bidding (and celtic).

I am not saying this is wrong, but dont treat us as mugs.

so all in all it aint happening, its a delay tactic to bring the new season closer.

If you want to believe that we have colluded with the Dhims to put forward a paper that has been getting worked on for several years and chose to put it forward again right now as a 'delay tactic' because it suits the SPFL/Dhims then you crack on.

The only thing you've got right is that it is unlikely to get voted through - though I suspect it would probably get more support than Budge's 14-14-14 in the event both went to a vote.

I doubt Hearts, for all their bluster, will go to Court either.

If you want to believe that we have colluded with the Dhims to put forward a paper that has been getting worked on for several years and chose to put it forward again right now as a 'delay tactic' because it suits the SPFL/Dhims then you crack on.

The only thing you've got right is that it is unlikely to get voted through - though I suspect it would probably get more support than Budge's 14-14-14 in the event both went to a vote.

I doubt Hearts, for all their bluster, will go to Court either.

see my post above.

@Valley Bluenose would you now agree the timing does not suit Rangers? And as its no longer April or May the pressure being put on Hearts is now enormous to close down scottish football?

Last edited:
The truth is there will be a massive financial fall out if Hearts now serve an interdict. Europe, Sky contract etc. We did want this originally but the SPFL have played Hearts all the way here and despite them now having a stronger case by exploring all avenues and the potential restriction to trade the timing is of.

Money talks, integrity can wait. Our board should just say as is instead of doing the SPFL bidding (and celtic).

I am not saying this is wrong, but dont treat us as mugs.

The SPFL is a Ltd company, hopefully Hearts are forced to go legal.

I’m all for the SOFL being subject to an insolvency event

see my post above.

@Valley Bluenose would you now agree the timing does not suit Rangers? And as its no longer April or May the pressure being put on Hearts is now enormous to close down scottish football?

I think Rangers are perfectly capable of separating our fight for change in the SPFL hierarchy - which I'm told is ongoing - and our long-standing desire to get our Colts team into the lower leagues. We've seen an opportunity in light of the ongoing 'push' from Hearts, and others, for reconstruction to piggy-back on that and throw the Colts idea into the equation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hearts? How they proceed is their problem. Whilst they were in our corner in the fight with the SPFL I viewed their support as somewhat lukewarm. The likes of ICT were far more willing to speak out whereas Budge said very little. I'd like nothing more than for them to go down the legal route if I'm honest but I don't think it will happen. What I expect is the status quo followed by utter carnage as Scottish football falls apart at the seams over the next 6 months or so. A proposal for a vote of No Confidence as things start to unravel may well prove timely.

A legal challenge may come from the Lowland or Highland League clubs, which would drag the SFA into it. Imagine the correspondence between the SPFL and SFA being dragged through the courts?

That would immediately make every single one of our players contracts and registrations void and allow them to walk away for nothing.

A legal challenge may come from the Lowland or Highland League clubs, which would drag the SFA into it. Imagine the correspondence between the SPFL and SFA being dragged through the courts?

If required, they’ll use the £800k+ that they may save from not paying parachute payments to smooth the waters at the lower echelons of the game.

Might be wrong, but even if I am, Scottish football fućking reeks.

Back