Rangers pushing for Colts to join Senior Leagues

Hope so, the hatred from lower teams for the idea will allow the simulation of the games being everyone’s cup final from an early age.

The present system is garbage. Scotland is producing a decent player every ten years or so while similar countries have a conveyor belt of talent. It is only one element in a whole process of change that is required.

Rangers Reserve teams were called the Swifts so why not call them by the historic name
My memory from when I was a kid was our third team were the Colts/Swifts
I saw Jim Forest and Alex Willoughby play for the Colts at Helenvale and at a pitch in Carntyne. both parks well are gone, different times

The present system is garbage. Scotland is producing a decent player every ten years or so while similar countries have a conveyor belt of talent. It is only one element in a whole process of change that is required.
Also, there's been systematic child abuse corrupting the entire process, mostly at one club obviously but still. If I were a parent around that time I would have steered my child clear from getting involved in soccer.

Celtic's crimes (and they are crimes) were a well known secret from the 70's on weren't they? Why take a chance with some paedo youth coach? Especially with people actively looking the other way?

I'd be interested in seeing the numbers as far as youth involvement through those years. When I moved to the US in 74, there was barely any youth soccer but it boomed all through the 80's. They didn't know what the hell they were doing at the time but they had the kids wanting to play.

I'll never believe other than the scum and their enablers ruined Scottish soccer by their dirty deeds. You'd be a fool to think this open secret didn't affect both the number of participants and the likelihood of success for children joining Celtic and their boy molesting ring (otherwise known as Celtic Boys club).

How many careers did they ruin? How many legends that made it through may have been molested themselves or have known about it, that couldn't reach that much further had they not held that guilt and grief.

But yer taxes!!!

My memory from when I was a kid was our third team were the Colts/Swifts
I saw Jim Forest and Alex Willoughby play for the Colts at Helenvale and at a pitch in Carntyne. both parks well are gone, different times

Couldn't remember just which reserve teams were called Swifts but agree it would be a fitting name for a team in a lower league to differentiate from the first taem squad

If we put our colts games on a Friday evening I can see good crowds both home and way. We've nothing to lose applying for the West of Scotland League. I don't see us being accepted any further up the pyramid so the youngsters will need to work there way up a bit first

This would be a good way of generating cash for lower leagues so surely a no-brainer?

It really wouldn't.

If Rangers are playing at home then very few fans are going to go along to the under 20s team playing Queens Park or Airdrie. If the senior team are playing away then the number of travelling Rangers fans may increase but at the expense of home fans who don't want to watch their team playing Rangers or Celtic under 20s.

Colts teams do nothing to improve Scottish football if we continue to have very few kids playing football at younger ages and a lack of progression to proper first team football.

Also, there's been systematic child abuse corrupting the entire process, mostly at one club obviously but still. If I were a parent around that time I would have steered my child clear from getting involved in soccer.

Celtic's crimes (and they are crimes) were a well known secret from the 70's on weren't they? Why take a chance with some paedo youth coach? Especially with people actively looking the other way?

I'd be interested in seeing the numbers as far as youth involvement through those years. When I moved to the US in 74, there was barely any youth soccer but it boomed all through the 80's. They didn't know what the hell they were doing at the time but they had the kids wanting to play.

I'll never believe other than the scum and their enablers ruined Scottish soccer by their dirty deeds. You'd be a fool to think this open secret didn't affect both the number of participants and the likelihood of success for children joining Celtic and their boy molesting ring (otherwise known as Celtic Boys club).

How many careers did they ruin? How many legends that made it through may have been molested themselves or have known about it, that couldn't reach that much further had they not held that guilt and grief.

But yer taxes!!!

It’s fitba FFS

Well the deadline is today. Hopefully we've applied. If marketed correctly by the club I could see the Colts getting decent crowds for their games. Friday nights at auchenhowie. Perhaps build another stand

I’m all for it hopefully we have applied. Good way of getting the youngsters proper competitive football without having to send them on loan and trust another team with their development/progression.

Should have sent the, to the lower leagues of England and work the. Through the leagues there.

It really wouldn't.

If Rangers are playing at home then very few fans are going to go along to the under 20s team playing Queens Park or Airdrie. If the senior team are playing away then the number of travelling Rangers fans may increase but at the expense of home fans who don't want to watch their team playing Rangers or Celtic under 20s.

Colts teams do nothing to improve Scottish football if we continue to have very few kids playing football at younger ages and a lack of progression to proper first team football.
If the Colts teams are in the league.. surely that is akin to first team football, hence our desire to go forward with it???

At the meeting in March, no Reserves Teams were to be admitted to the WoSL. However, Stranraer and Caley Braves do have reserves in the SoSL, so there is a precedent at T6

The lower league teams will never vote for this. They were happy to take the cash as we moved through the League but won't support this, probably in line with supporter views. Also, they have their aspirations of promotion and this would dent them.
In any event a colt team would need to start at very bottom level and the only way I can see it happening would be if that team couldn't be promoted.

At the meeting in March, no Reserves Teams were to be admitted to the WoSL. However, Stranraer and Caley Braves do have reserves in the SoSL, so there is a precedent at T6

Fair point. There is also Stirling Uni reserves in the East and a few years ago there was also Hibs reserves and Berwick Rangers reserves

The lower league teams will never vote for this. They were happy to take the cash as we moved through the League but won't support this, probably in line with supporter views. Also, they have their aspirations of promotion and this would dent them.
In any event a colt team would need to start at very bottom level and the only way I can see it happening would be if that team couldn't be promoted.

This new league is the very bottom currently. If we don't apply now we could be shunted down to tier 9/10 if we were ever to try this in the future

Would the top tier teams be allowed to run a full Reserve League, even if they called the games "friendlies". Did we not have a season recently playing challenge matches with teams in England and Europe.

Stay safe and healthy to you all.

We should be forcing the issue by getting a second team in the structure at some level. Doesn't matter where it is and start working up and then the issue will need to be dealt with if the team reach a level where they have earned promotion to a league that is saying no B Teams.

IMO they should be restructuring all the leagues anyway to allow more movement up and down between levels and stop the boredom of the same teams playing each other 4 times a season in the league.

It really wouldn't.

If we are playing at home to say killie 3pm saturday colts are away to airdrie 3pm Saturday you trying to tell me every Rangers from Airdrie and the surrounding areas will be at Ibrox
Even though we sell out nearly every home game and have a waiting list. There will be loads of interest from parents that cant get to Ibrox and take there kids

Reading P&B forum that @Mancbear posted

68 have applied

Breakdown is if all confirmed

63 West Region Juniors

Bonnyton Thistle
Drumchapel Utd PYM
Glasgow University - have confirmed via Twitter

plus 2 other amatuer sides

Rangers Geldings ?

That’s a bit harsh. I’d always had a dream of playing for rangers but unsure I’d give both my nuts for that dream :D

As an aside, I’m not too up to date with the planned West of Scotland league but I don’t think they’re letting in the Rangers side.

If the Colts teams are in the league.. surely that is akin to first team football, hence our desire to go forward with it???

It's an artificial set-up. Colts teams would be prohibited from promotion above a certain level. That isnt going to give kids experience of being in a professional dressing room and playing in big matches. There's also a serious doubt as to whether or not playing in the likes of League Two would give kids meaningful experience.

If we are playing at home to say killie 3pm saturday colts are away to airdrie 3pm Saturday you trying to tell me every Rangers from Airdrie and the surrounding areas will be at Ibrox
Even though we sell out nearly every home game and have a waiting list. There will be loads of interest from parents that cant get to Ibrox and take there kids

The match going ones will be.

I'd seriously doubt that fans not at Ibrox would turn up at Airdrie to pay £15 to watch a youth team.

It's an artificial set-up. Colts teams would be prohibited from promotion above a certain level. That isnt going to give kids experience of being in a professional dressing room and playing in big matches. There's also a serious doubt as to whether or not playing in the likes of League Two would give kids meaningful experience.
I agree it would have a cap on it. You'd think Championship would be the cut off though. If indeed it is/was, I certainly think it would benefit the youth squad to be playing week in week out against first team squads.

It really wouldn't.

Aye. But a large number would watch it on the telly if there was coverage. Suddenly sponsorship and TV deals become a much more significant thing for the lower leagues lucky enough to have us within them.

Its far from just bums on seats these days mate.

I agree it would have a cap on it. You'd think Championship would be the cut off though. If indeed it is/was, I certainly think it would benefit the youth squad to be playing week in week out against first team squads.

Championship cap absolutely would be appropriate. But no-one who followed the colts challenge cup run would suggest anything other than the fact that playing against men and first team squads at championship level was an incredibly development experience for the young bears and if done regularly would put the boys in a much better shop window compared to now even if they won't make the leap to out first 11.when you consider shankland is being touted for millions for performing at the same level, and even earning national call-ups, our reserves would not be playing at an insignificant level. And every year they might not be looking to win promotion once they reach the championship, but you just know the wee bears would be striving to add silverware with the cups and leagues annually.

If, predictably, the others get their colts in, a mini-old firm in the championship is sure to be the biggest product highlighted in the championships TV deal too!

Championship cap absolutely would be appropriate. But no-one who followed the colts challenge cup run would suggest anything other than the fact that playing against men and first team squads at championship level was an incredibly development experience for the young bears and if done regularly would put the boys in a much better shop window compared to now even if they won't make the leap to out first 11.when you consider shankland is being touted for millions for performing at the same level, and even earning national call-ups, our reserves would not be playing at an insignificant level. And every year they might not be looking to win promotion once they reach the championship, but you just know the wee bears would be striving to add silverware with the cups and leagues annually.

If, predictably, the others get their colts in, a mini-old firm in the championship is sure to be the biggest product highlighted in the championships TV deal too!
Exactly. Certainly would be a good move imo

Aye. But a large number would watch it on the telly if there was coverage. Suddenly sponsorship and TV deals become a much more significant thing for the lower leagues lucky enough to have us within them.

Its far from just bums on seats these days mate.

Clubs made virtually nothing from TV during the seasons where Rangers were working through the lower leagues. Rangers youngsters v Edinburgh City? Even less chance of earning clubs cash from TV.

Clubs made virtually nothing from TV during the seasons where Rangers were working through the lower leagues. Rangers youngsters v Edinburgh City? Even less chance of earning clubs cash from TV.

I'd watch it. Many more would. Once TV companies realise that there will be more competition for the TV rights. That's how it works. Sadly, with bbc likely to be a player ib that competition, we'll likely se more money splashed if rangers and celtic both have colts in the lower leagues. Esp. If both are long term in the championship (they won't be able to offer a massive TV deal for div 3, without showing any highlights of div1 or div2)

Back