Rangers Rally Apollo Theatre 1975

Hi there, it has been brought to our attention that a member was recalling memories of the Rangers Rally circa 1975.

We ( The McLean Sisters ) performed at this event ( very young ) we sang a song especially written about the 75 team.

Viva The Rangers

Will try and post the newspaper cuttings which might prove an interesting read to the relevant parties that made the initial enquiry.

Derek Johnston was being presented with an impressive specially engraved watch by a man named Alex Curry - Derek Johnston was guest speaker.

We were very young, but remember how kind everyone was to us on the night, especially the fans attending, giving us a wonderful reception.

We went on to perform at The Rangers Club on numerous occasions.

We progressed into the industry, but remember those early days with affection.

The STV has posted some archive footage of us from the 80's
( STV footage sales - twitter)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I was taken to one of the Rallys by my dad, possibly 1975, was deffo in The Apollo (my only time there) would have been 6 years old? Christian singing, Andy Cameron comparing, going off his head when the crowd started a sash bash and he was trying to do his routine? Memories are vague obviously, Cameron's record Rangers Rangers (the greatest team of all) was sold that night, still got the 7inch. When did it go to the Kelvin Hall, 78?

Rangers snippets -

Many moons later, we were invited to Ibrox. What time does it start - says I ( blank faces all round ) THREE O'CLOCK says Ali (pause ) BUT WE'LL WAIT FOR YOU ( laughter ) CHEERS,APPRECIATED says I
( clueless )
I was taken to one of the Rallys by my dad, possibly 1975, was deffo in The Apollo (my only time there) would have been 6 years old? Christian singing, Andy Cameron comparing, going off his head when the crowd started a sash bash and he was trying to do his routine? Memories are vague obviously, Cameron's record Rangers Rangers (the greatest team of all) was sold that night, still got the 7inch. When did it go to the Kelvin Hall, 78?
Dear Steve Marriott, interesting and typical of those mentioned lol
Sadly, don't know when it moved to the KH

Last edited:
The late Jimmy Clements always organised the Rangers Rally back then and used to rope a few of us in to help with various tasks. After the gig as a reward we would get invited back to the bar(not gonna call it the green room) and meet a few of the players and the acts. One year at the Kelvin Hall Andy Cameron, who was the compere, was in our company chatting when the waitress arrived with a tray of drinks for us. The lassie wasn't at the back of the queue when they were handing out tremendous titties, which over one was her name badge. Looking closely at it Cameron then looked at her other tit and asked "what do call this one".
Ashamed to admit the youthful me laughed. Might have been the last time I laughed at an Andy Cameron joke.

The late Jimmy Clements always organised the Rangers Rally back then and used to rope a few of us in to help with various tasks. After the gig as a reward we would get invited back to the bar(not gonna call it the green room) and meet a few of the players and the acts. One year at the Kelvin Hall Andy Cameron, who was the compere, was in our company chatting when the waitress arrived with a tray of drinks for us. The lassie wasn't at the back of the queue when they were handing out tremendous titties, which over one was her name badge. Looking closely at it Cameron then looked at her other tit and asked "what do call this one".
Ashamed to admit the youthful me laughed. Might have been the last time I laughed at an Andy Cameron joke.
Andy was very popular at these occasions.Think we were booked by a man called Bowie ( Ross not David )

Andy was very popular at these occasions.Think we were booked by a man called Bowie ( Ross not David )

Yes that would be my recollection though Jimmy Clements told me that in later years Andy Cameron himself volunteered to book the acts therefore cutting out the agents fees. Always felt the quality of the acts( not you OP) deteriorated somewhat from then on. One year he booked an Al Jolson tribute act who went on longer than the forty years war to the audible disquiet of the audience. For which AC rebuked them.
Lots of better memories of the RR though.

Rangers snippets -

We were invited to another charity event. Standing at the buffet, we noticed a group of fellas having a FRIENDLY banter session.Curious, we asked them what companies they were with ( it was a corporate doo )
We are not from the same company said a friendly bright red haired chap,which caused laughter from the little group.We play football.I think it's great that you are all friends, says I, and can play football together.We don't play on the same team,said a blank face.Even better, said I,makes for a nice atmosphere at work.In fact, we are playing tomorrow, said the bright red haired chap.Well, you enjoy yourselves, say I - we will , said the red haired man.Leaving, we asked the organiser, who the nice fellas were at the buffet table. They said they were playing football tomorrow, I think that's terrific ( says I ) Aye hen, it's an auld firm game, replied the organiser. Brilliant, says I,outside waiting for a cab, the penny dropped CHEERIO says the red haired man to the doorman, CHEERIO TOMMY, ALL THE BEST FOR TOMORROW! I think they all felt that we needed to be a bit more educated ( being Glasgow girls ) Interestingly, it was then we got the invitation to Ibrox!!!!!

Yes that would be my recollection though Jimmy Clements told me that in later years Andy Cameron himself volunteered to book the acts therefore cutting out the agents fees. Always felt the quality of the acts( not you OP) deteriorated somewhat from then on. One year he booked an Al Jolson tribute act who went on longer than the forty years war to the audible disquiet of the audience. For which AC rebuked them.
Lots of better memories of the RR though.
Totally agree, sadly most acts were ( how you say in Yorker ) total mince, in the later days.

The song VIVA RANGERS was actually recorded - not sure, but think it was a copyright thing that stopped it being released. Dear Uncle Billy McQuarrie ( a season ticket holder and life long Rangers fan ) wrote the lyrics. Quiet man, engineer ( ALBION ) remember he was beaming that night. Sadly, no longer.

Rangers snippets -

We were invited to another charity event. Standing at the buffet, we noticed a group of fellas having a FRIENDLY banter session.Curious, we asked them what companies they were with ( it was a corporate doo )
We are not from the same company said a friendly bright red haired chap,which caused laughter from the little group.We play football.I think it's great that you are all friends, says I, and can play football together.We don't play on the same team,said a blank face.Even better, said I,makes for a nice atmosphere at work.In fact, we are playing tomorrow, said the bright red haired chap.Well, you enjoy yourselves, say I - we will , said the red haired man.Leaving, we asked the organiser, who the nice fellas were at the buffet table. They said they were playing football tomorrow, I think that's terrific ( says I ) Aye hen, it's an auld firm game, replied the organiser. Brilliant, says I,outside waiting for a cab, the penny dropped CHEERIO says the red haired man to the doorman, CHEERIO TOMMY, ALL THE BEST FOR TOMORROW! I think they all felt that we needed to be a bit more educated ( being Glasgow girls ) Interestingly, it was then we got the invitation to Ibrox!!!!!
Apologies Tommy was Burns and Ali was Dawson - both charming.

Pretty shameful about the cheap act 'thing' but not surprising! The Rangers Club ( money no object ) They booked International Acts of the highest calibre which was a prestigious thing, and reflected on the club in general.

Will leave you with one more story -

We worked on the Anfield Hillsborough Concert ( a privilege ) We were given the tour of the stadium etc., and shown the Trophy Room.Special tribute corner with football scarves sent from Glasgow ( all club colours )
I cannot tell you how proud we felt that the relevant Glasgow Clubs had sent undisclosed donations to the cause. We were treated like family as soon as we arrived to work on production. Shankly and Kenny, might have had something to do with that! The minute we said GLASGOW nothing was too much.You will all know that the two Cities have a great mutual respect for each other, highlighted by their love of football! However, the most moving thing ( which they showed us with pride ) was a pair of humble, frail little football boots belonging to a Scottish player Billy Liddell.Quite a thrill to see the LFC outside and the statue of Bill.
Enjoy your football - thank you for letting us be a part of your forum.

Debbie Harry wiping the sweat off her face with a Rangers scarf at the Apollo was awesome.
I was there!

What a shite hole of a Venue, Clouds or Satellite City, depending what age you are, up the stairs was worse though a better Venue Glasgow has never seen or heard IMO.

I spent most of my youth, time and money frequenting the gaff. Seen Television with Blonde as support May 77' Blonde didn't go down too well but they made up for it at the Ne'erday gig Dec 79'.

What a shite hole of a Venue, Clouds or Satellite City, depending what age you are, up the stairs was worse though a better Venue Glasgow has never seen or heard IMO.

I spent most of my youth, time and money frequenting the gaff. Seen Television with Blonde as support May 77' Blonde didn't go down too well but they made up for it at the Ne'erday gig Dec 79'.
Apollo? Shithole? You should have seen it when it was the Greens Playhouse., incredible gigs but truly was a rat infested hole.

Hi there, it has been brought to our attention that a member was recalling memories of the Rangers Rally circa 1975.

We ( The McLean Sisters ) performed at this event ( very young ) we sang a song especially written about the 75 team.

Viva The Rangers

Will try and post the newspaper cuttings which might prove an interesting read to the relevant parties that made the initial enquiry.

Derek Johnston was being presented with an impressive specially engraved watch by a man named Alex Curry - Derek Johnston was guest speaker.

We were very young, but remember how kind everyone was to us on the night, especially the fans attending, giving us a wonderful reception.

We went on to perform at The Rangers Club on numerous occasions.

We progressed into the industry, but remember those early days with affection.

The STV has posted some archive footage of us from the 80's
( STV footage sales - twitter)
FaOzpKa.gif

Back