Rangers ready to swoop for St Mirren’s Vaclav Hladky and complete Ianis Hagi deal

"Buying a player then selling him straight on would potentially fall foul of FIFA."

I might be wrong, but is that not what Frankfurt done with Jovic? Had him on loan from Benfica, he tore the league up, they bout him for his option of around £7M then sold him to Madrid for £50M+?
Remember something like this with Alvaro Morata too.

If there's no natural captain in the squad then remedy it in the transfer market.

The Rangers captain should not be the best of a bad bunch.

As with the style of play this is another area we seem to disregard the league we play in. The captain may be of less significance in France or Italy but we play in Scotland and the captaincy matters - it also matters to the fans which is why the subject will never go away until it is addressed.

McGregor even at his best has clear shortcomings in his game and at his age his ability to do what he's good at can fall of a cliff on very short notice, some would say that he's already looking less agile than last season.

I don't see the benefit in making a signing like this, we should look to move forwards rather than sideways.
Might be that it’s felt that McCrorie needs another year, another decent level loan.

Hladky the one that said he would rather go to the Championship than us?

Rangers are interested in me and some negotiations are under way. But playing in England is the big dream. The biggest dream is to play in the Premier League but that is a big jump
I know I will need to make another step first on the way. I’m not crazy enough to think I can go from St Mirren directly to the English top division. Going to the Championship would be ideal for me. That is preferable to staying in Scotland.

If there's no natural captain in the squad then remedy it in the transfer market.

The Rangers captain should not be the best of a bad bunch.

As with the style of play this is another area we seem to disregard the league we play in. The captain may be of less significance in France or Italy but we play in Scotland and the captaincy matters - it also matters to the fans which is why the subject will never go away until it is addressed.

Completely agree we lack a true captain in the squad. I read Goldson being mentioned, though personally I don’t see him as any more fitting for the role than Tav. That whole area of right sided centre back to full back concerns me to be honest if we’re to win the league.

I think he need to try and address that this summer, problem being I don’t see the manager stripping Tav of the armband. The only way we get a new captain I think is if Tav leaves.

As for the St Mirren keeper I’m fine with that as a number 2. McCrorie back out on loan and review again in 12 months time. McGregor is still way down the list of players needing replaced. Not perfect, but off the top of my head he was still one post January who other than an error against Hibs performed fine.

Our only keeper is approaching 40 and can't pass or come out for crosses , it should absolutely be a priority.
Our best ever keeper*,maybe our best three keepers, wouldn’t have listed “coming out for crosses“ as a strength.
* Dawson not included due to never having seen him.

We're going to have to face that cost within a year regardless, I'd rather have the strongest possible team on the pitch
Let me get this right.
We need ‘x’ position improved today and a keeper, in your words, in a year.
So, you’re prioritising the keeper!

Mcgregor pulled off some world class saves last season .

also saved a pen at the piggery which was vital to us winning that game .

he is clearly our Number 1 .

Shagger is a stick on as our no.1. Absolutely brilliant last season for us, especially in Europe and at the chamber of secrets. I hope we do take this lad though, will push shagger for his spot, provides some longer term stability while we develop wee robbie, and most importantly, if he gets in the shop window and performs could generate some cash.

This isnt a gamble.

Hladky been rumoured for a while, quite happy with him coming in as no2 all things considered.

Lewis will be moved on by the sheep this summer, but no way he’s going anywhere to be no2, otherwise would have had him in a heartbeat.

Pretty unhappy at the prospect of this, we should be signing a new number 1 rather than someone to sit on the bench

Entirely dependent on how much longer McGregor can perform at the top level.

No point signing a number 1 on number 1 wages to sit on the bench when that money could be better used elsewhere if McGregor is still going to be playing a couple of seasons.

I’d only keep McCrorie out on loan until January Incas McGregor isn’t of a good level, of McGregor is performing well then extended McCrorie’s loan

i'm going to go against the grain here and say i'm not a massive fan of Mcgregor and i think this boy could be our main keeper. for me i think Mcgregor has not been at his best last season and i would be happy to see him replaced. i know its not going to be a popular opinion.
MCGregor has been great for Rangers...name a save he made since Christmas though?

i have to disagree, if we send him down south i feel there is less chance that he gets regular game time. having him up here means we can keep an eye onto him and he can get used to the SPFL. there's not too much different anyway between us and L1/L2 down there.
Spot on he needs a loan with an SPL team.

We need an experienced no2. Hladky seems a decent option. McGregor looks like he could get sent off going nuts at the ref most weeks

I know for a fact we've been watching him for nearly a year, not earth shattering as it's been in the media. Led to believe Foderingham not leaving scuppered any kind of deal in January. St Mirren would've been unlikely to do business at that point anyway.

Seen a lot of him, excellent keeper, best outside McGregor & Forster in the league by a long way.

Not a 'look at me' post, I know zero in terms of whether he will sign or not.

His distribution and command of his area being bad 10 years ago doesn't really excuse it being bad now, I'm not sure what you're getting at with that.

He's a good shot stopper but in 2020 goalkeepers are expected to be more than that, all of the top ones are. He is incapable and approaching 40, there is a massive blindspot in our support with McGregor due to nostalgia

Eh?

McGregor is, and has been, consistently outstanding.

Goalkeepers will always sell a few goals per season.

In fact, I'd argue this his is the only position that is nowhere near up for debate.

Eh?

McGregor is, and has been, consistently outstanding.

Goalkeepers will always sell a few goals per season.

In fact, I'd argue this his is the only position that is nowhere near up for debate.
He's been far from outstanding for a big chunk of this season

You're at it mate.

I'm struggling to remember a goal where I felt it was out and out McGregors error. But I remember several stunning stops particularly in the European games.

Genuinely crazy.

You're at it mate.

I'm struggling to remember a goal where I felt it was out and out McGregors error. But I remember several stunning stops particularly in the European games.

Genuinely crazy.
Ok, I do remember those goals that were his fault though.

I also see all of the dangerous throws and corners that we concede because of him refusing to leave his line.

People have a blind spot for him because he's staunch and played in a good Rangers team 10 years ago, he isn't very good

I actually can't decide if you're at the wind up. He has bailed us out time and time again after a mistake from the defence. To argue that he's had a poor season simply because he's 38 and his distribution is lacking is honestly the most ridiculous thing I've read on here.

Few st Mirren supporting mates think this guys the second coming of Oliver Kahn. 30 years old and cheap but hasn’t really done much in his career. I would prefer Zander Clark as back up though If Robby is going back out on loan. Just my opinion.

I actually can't decide if you're at the wind up. He has bailed us out time and time again after a mistake from the defence. To argue that he's had a poor season simply because he's 38 and his distribution is lacking is honestly the most ridiculous thing I've read on here.
He's had a poor season because he's been more error prone than usual and his shortcomings have proven to be more costly than they were last year.

Gerrard’s pal - that’s the only reason he’s here.

He's not really his pal mate. He is about half his age.

He has been brought in really as someone who is happy to be a third choice keeper while we develop our young keepers by letting them play games.

I also see all of the dangerous throws and corners that we concede because of him refusing to leave his line.

People have a blind spot for him because he's staunch and played in a good Rangers team 10 years ago, he isn't very good
Ever wonder why you’re the lone voice with this opinion?
It really is hard to fathom.
It’s almost like McGregor stole your girl friend, or your sweeties.
Either way, it’s mental.

He's not really his pal mate. He is about half his age.

He has been brought in really as someone who is happy to be a third choice keeper while we develop our young keepers by letting them play games.
A reserve keeper could easily fill that 3rd choice role without missing any games though, would get him used to the dressing room and the different environments in the league too

I've a good memory mate. I didn't mean I can't remember because I've forgotten them. It's because there weren't many.

I have a blind spot for him because in the big moments he produces and his consistency in doing so is remarkable. The amount of European saves were worth millions to us and the penalty save at the piggery.

Ever wonder why you’re the lone voice with this opinion?
It really is hard to fathom.
It’s almost like McGregor stole your girl friend, or your sweeties.
Either way, it’s mental.
I'm not alone in that opinion, far from it.

I might be in the minority on FF but that's because most on here value someone being staunch over being good, it's why you see so many Docherty threads for example.

A reserve keeper could easily fill that 3rd choice role without missing any games though, would get him used to the dressing room and the different environments in the league too

That's a different argument. I was replying to someone who said he was there cos he is Gerrards pal which is just silly.

Back