Rangers ready to swoop for St Mirren’s Vaclav Hladky and complete Ianis Hagi deal

Ok, I do remember those goals that were his fault though.

I also see all of the dangerous throws and corners that we concede because of him refusing to leave his line.

People have a blind spot for him because he's staunch and played in a good Rangers team 10 years ago, he isn't very good
You remember all the errors?
Okay, can you remember the positives?
He probably earned us a dozen points last season.

I'm not alone in that opinion, far from it.

I might be in the minority on FF but that's because most on here value someone being staunch over being good, it's why you see so many Docherty threads for example.

I couldn't care less if McGregor grew up with a season ticket for the piggery mate. He is a fantastic goalkeeper who makes big saves at big moments time and again.

You remember all the errors?
Okay, can you remember the positives?
He probably earned us a dozen points last season.
Of course I do, I said before the penalty at Parkhead was taken that he'd save it, that's what he's good at.

I'm not going to let that overshadow everything he isn't good at though and in my opinion the bad outweighs the good.

He's not really his pal mate. He is about half his age.

He has been brought in really as someone who is happy to be a third choice keeper while we develop our young keepers by letting them play games.
We don’t need a third choice keeper.

I’d rather we promote from within the development squad. I’d have more trust in our young keepers ahead of a guy who couldn’t make the starting XI at non-league Barrow.

We don’t need a third choice keeper.

I’d rather we promote from within the development squad. I’d have more trust in our young keepers ahead of a guy who couldn’t make the starting XI at non-league Barrow.

That'd fair enough. But he isn't just there because he is Gerrards pal. That's just silly.

He's had a poor season because he's been more error prone than usual and his shortcomings have proven to be more costly than they were last year.

He's had a terrible season having the joint lowest amount of goals conceded in the league?

Goldson, Tavernier and Katic have made more costly errors this season which would have been more had McGregor not consistently bailed them out. 'Not very good', you're just kidding yourself with that.

I also see all of the dangerous throws and corners that we concede because of him refusing to leave his line.

People have a blind spot for him because he's staunch and played in a good Rangers team 10 years ago, he isn't very good
His distribution is poor, I will give you that. However, to suggest that he "isn't very good" is complete nonsense.

Are you forgetting his save against Motherwell at 1-0, the save in Porto, the penalty save against the mentally challengeds or the 1v1 against Braga at 2-0?

Of course I do, I said before the penalty at Parkhead was taken that he'd save it, that's what he's good at.

I'm not going to let that overshadow everything he isn't good at though and in my opinion the bad outweighs the good.
There is just no arguing with that.
I just don’t see the point.
Haters will hate, type of thing.
So, this’ll be my last post with you on this one.

He's had a terrible season having the joint lowest amount of goals conceded in the league?

Goldson, Tavernier and Katic have made more costly errors this season which would have been more had McGregor not consistently bailed them out. 'Not very good', you're just kidding yourself with that.
He faces the fewest shots on target in scotland and his save percentage doesn't suggest that he's the best in the league like many on here insist.

Few st Mirren supporting mates think this guys the second coming of Oliver Kahn. 30 years old and cheap but hasn’t really done much in his career. I would prefer Zander Clark as back up though If Robby is going back out on loan. Just my opinion.
Clark has been really poor this/last season mate. think St Johnstone conceded something like 7 goals from his errors. Hladky is a far superior keeper to him from what I’ve seen

There is just no arguing with that.
I just don’t see the point.
Haters will hate, type of thing.
So, this’ll be my last post with you on this one.
Why is there no point in arguing with that?

Do you not see the validity in suggesting that a 38/9 year old keeper who can't command his box and has awful distribution shouldn't remain first choice?

What goals were they then?
You remember them, so let's have the list.

He faces the fewest shots on target in scotland and his save percentage doesn't suggest that he's the best in the league like many on here insist.

Do you actually watch the games or just base arguments on stats? He bails us out time and time again.

According to The Post.

So much so, in fact, that even if Rangers take up their option to buy the son of 124-cap Romanian legend, Gheorghe, they would not rule out trying to land him by offering an instant seven-figure profit on their purchase.

Buying a player then selling him straight on would potentially fall foul of FIFA.

Benik Afobe anyone?

What goals were they then?
You remember them, so let's have the list.
McDiarmid park, Rubgy Park, Motherwell at Ibrox, Hibs at Ibrox, Tynecastle and Celtic's 2nd at Ibrox immediately come to mind(arguably their first too but people will argue that's harsh so I wont include it)

There are also countless instances where his distribution has lead to opposition chances.

Can I have a few examples?

Even though some of them are ridiculously harsh, that's six mistakes for a season of over 50 games.

Aye.....bad definitely outweighs the good.
I'm obviously not just referring to mistakes when I say the bad outweighs the good. Those are just the errors that come to mind right away.

I don't see how him being outright bad at 2 of the 3 things you expect from a keeper = best keeper in scotland.

He is statistically pretty average.

Our second choice has to be ready to play, I think Mcgreggor could last another two seasons but with goalies the deterioration can be rapid, like Klos.

I'm obviously not just referring to mistakes when I say the bad outweighs the good. Those are just the errors that come to mind right away.

I don't see how him being outright bad at 2 of the 3 things you expect from a keeper = best keeper in scotland.

You're entitled to your opinion mate but you're miles off it. Some of his stops in big games at big moments are not saves u expect every keeper to be able to make. The keepers job is to keep the ball from crossing the line. He is shit hot at that.

Of course he has the odd mistake but that's the life of any keeper

Until Iron Man takes up football and decides he fancies playing for Rangers, I think you're gonna be disappointed as there aren't many we are ever gonna get better than McGregor.

You're entitled to your opinion mate but you're miles off it. Some of his stops in big games at big moments are not saves u expect every keeper to be able to make. The keepers job is to keep the ball from crossing the line. He is shit hot at that.

Of course he has the odd mistake but that's the life of any keeper

Until Iron Man takes up football and decides he fancies playing for Rangers, I think you're gonna be disappointed as there aren't many we are ever gonna get better than McGregor.
I'm not miles off it and it's pretty undeniable when you look at the data.

McGregor's style of play and skillset is a relic of the past, football has moved on and left him behind.

If we signed someone like Matheus from Braga it would be so much of an upgrade that it's unreal.

I'm not miles off it and it's pretty undeniable when you look at the data.

McGregor's style of play and skillset is a relic of the past, football has moved on and left him behind.

If we signed someone like Matheus from Braga it would be so much of an upgrade that it's unreal.

The only data I care about is what I see at the games mate.

I couldn't care less about shot averages, save percentages, successful kick outs per quarter, most times he save a ball with only 7 fingers instead of ten.

Football is played on grass.

Your Braga keeper is a good keeper. I liked him a lot. But when the chips were down who produced in that tie? McGregor when they were clean through at 2 nil up.

The Braga keeper was too busy giving Aribo a space at his near post and being beating by a looping deflection from Hagi or getting his angles all wrong for Kent away.

The only data I care about is what I see at the games mate.

I couldn't care less about shot averages, save percentages, successful kick outs per quarter, most times he save a ball with only 7 fingers instead of ten.

Football is played on grass.

Your Braga keeper is a good keeper. I liked him a lot. But when the chips were down who produced in that tie? McGregor when they were clean through at 2 nil up.

The Braga keeper was too busy giving Aribo a space at his near post and being beating by a looping deflection from Hagi or getting his angles all wrong for Kent away.
McGregor should have saved both of Braga's goals that day so I'm not sure you should really go there.

Second one in particular.

The stats also say Christian Doidge has the same amount of league goals as Alfredo Morelos. So based on this argument we should have Mark Gillespie in goals and Doidge as our main striker. Aye that would go well.

The stats also say Christian Doidge has the same amount of league goals as Alfredo Morelos. So based on this argument we should have Mark Gillespie in goals and Doidge as our main striker. Aye that would go well.
Goal and assist stats aren't comparable to in depth analysis of how individual players perform in specific areas.

So no, my argument can't be bent into saying that at all. Nice try though

McGregor should have saved both of Braga's goals that day so I'm not sure you should really go there.

I asked who produced and kept us in the tie when the chips were down? The answer was McGregor.

And McGregor was no more culpible for they goals than the Braga keeper was for ours.

We should probably leave it there. You obviously don't like him and are keen to promote this fallacy that the bad outweighs the good despite numerous huge saves at huge moments last season. So we are never going to agree.

200.gif

McGregor should have saved the first goal? I'm now convinced you don't watch games, most keepers would struggle to save that.
He got fingertips to it, had he been quicker in reacting to the trajectory of the ball he'd have gotten a stronger hand on it, a younger keeper saves that.

Again, didn't react at all to their second

I don’t have an opinion either way really, we go into next season with McGregor then I’m fine with it but I can understand why some people would want a new keeper but your logic there is flawed. Goals and assists are different from the stats you can’t see with your eyes.

I asked who produced and kept us in the tie when the chips were down? The answer was McGregor.

And McGregor was no more culpible for they goals than the Braga keeper was for ours.

We should probably leave it there. You obviously don't like him and are keen to promote this fallacy that the bad outweighs the good despite numerous huge saves at huge moments last season. So we are never going to agree.
The answer is Ianis Hagi but ok.

Would be concerned if we’re signing a number two but not sending McCrorie on loan.

I have my doubts about whether any of our youth will ever see consistent game time under Gerrard, but we’ll need to wait and see on this.

McCrorie has to go to an SPFL or higher English League 1/Championship side for it to be worthwhile though.

He got fingertips to it, had he been quicker in reacting to the trajectory of the ball he'd have gotten a stronger hand on it, a younger keeper saves that.

Again, didn't react at all to their second

A younger keeper saves that? I think most keepers would be lucky to get a finger on it. The second goal the defenders could have been quicker getting a block in, what's your excuse for them?

Would you be mocking statistics/data if they supported your argument?

They don't support your argument. Statistics and data tell a small part of a story. Anyone involved in the game will tell you that there is still no substitute for simply watching a player.

And I wasn't mocking statistics. I was mocking the fact you are pinning things on McGregor that aren't his fault to support your argument.

It's not statistics supporting your argument. It's fiction that's supporting it.

We were talking about the Braga keeper who you suggested versus McGregor no?
We were yeah, then you decided that McGregor was a massive part of beating them despite underperforming in both of their goals.

Responding by pointing out that it was actually Hagi who saved us that day seems like a fair response, feel free to ignore it if you disagree

If you want to compare Matheus to McGregor from that day, look at how their defence beat our press through his passing every single time and how McGregor launched it straight back to them whenever he had the ball at his feet.

I don’t have an opinion either way really, we go into next season with McGregor then I’m fine with it but I can understand why some people would want a new keeper but your logic there is flawed. Goals and assists are different from the stats you can’t see with your eyes.

The only stat that matters for a goalkeeper is how many times the ball goes in their net, for McGregor the answer has been not very often.

Would be concerned if we’re signing a number two but not sending McCrorie on loan.

I have my doubts about whether any of our youth will ever see consistent game time under Gerrard, but we’ll need to wait and see on this.

McCrorie has to go to an SPFL or higher English League 1/Championship side for it to be worthwhile though.
Would like McCrorie to go to a team like Hibs because he’ll get games when he’ll have to be good with the ball but he’ll also get games where he’ll be under pressure for the vast majority of the game. Obviously for him to go them they’d need to actually want him!

They don't support your argument. Statistics and data tell a small part of a story. Anyone involved in the game will tell you that there is still no substitute for simply watching a player.

And I wasn't mocking statistics. I was mocking the fact you are pinning things on McGregor that aren't his fault to support your argument.

It's not statistics supporting your argument. It's fiction that's supporting it.
They do support my argument though, he isn't this godlike shotstopper that means it doesnt matter if he has weaknesses. He has been around or below average this season compared to everyone else in the league

We were yeah, then you decided that McGregor was a massive part of beating them despite underperforming in both of their goals.

Responding by pointing out that it was actually Hagi who saved us that day seems like a fair response, feel free to ignore it if you disagree

If you want to compare Matheus to McGregor from that day, look at how their defence beat our press through his passing every single time and how McGregor launched it straight back to them whenever he had the ball at his feet.

I said Matheus would be a good albeit unrealistic signing for us. However if we're going by that game, he gets beaten at his near post and could have moved his feet quicker for the third goal. Doesn't make him a bad keeper though.

The only stat that matters for a goalkeeper is how many times the ball goes in their net, for McGregor the answer has been not very often.
In 1980, sure.

Goalkeepers are now expected to offer much more than just keeping the ball out of the net

Would like McCrorie to go to a team like Hibs because he’ll get games when he’ll have to be good with the ball but he’ll also get games where he’ll be under pressure for the vast majority of the game. Obviously for him to go them they’d need to actually want him!

Yeah, that would make sense. If there’s no demand, then there’s no way an inferior keeper like Hladky should be ahead of him for our second spot.

Would like to see Gerrard rotate more and stop flogging players within an inch of their usefulness (such as Davis last year) and that includes the goalies.

Back